2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Ready To Carry A Baby?

wildone

• Site Administrator

According to a Clinic in Ohio, men or transgender women might be able to carry a baby in a surgically transplanted womb within 5-10 years or even sooner.

So this brings up several questions if it becomes a reality which I'm sure it will.

If you're a male, would you have a womb inserted in you to bring a child to full term and have it delivered? If you are a gay male, would you feel better about being able to procreate yourself with just a egg donated.

If you're a transgender person, would this be of interest to you? Would it make you feel better about yourself being what you were born to be?

If you're a woman, would you give up your role as mother in giving birth to children to your male partner? Would it work out to a one to you, one to me ratio?

If a female in a relationship was unable to have a baby, could her spouse/mate be able to take on the responsibility?

What other issues do you see arising out of this. I know it would be interesting to bring up the religious aspect of this, but that will have to go to the Pitt if you are so inclined.

I would be interested to know more about the medical aspects befor forming an opinion. Would a male's body be able to produce the right hormones or would they need to be supplemented? Would a pregnancy drain a man of calcium the way it does a woman? Would a man suffer PPD?

If PPD might be an issue, no way would I want my husband to carry. He was moody enough when I was the one pregnant!

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 1

Is there anyway to create an artificial Egg using the sample of genetic material from sperm?

I've heard of eggs being fertilized without sperm, which is cool, but I wonder if there's such a line of research going on.

Last article on this potential breakthrough was in 2014

https://www.rt.com/news/218255-artificial-human-sperm-eggs/

Imagine the possibilities, gay and lesbian couples can finally have children. Transgendered people would be equal to their gender equivalents.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

• Site Administrator

Where would the donor uterus come from? This idea scares me.

I think I remember a year or so ago reading of an English lady who was unable to have children, had her mother donate her uterus. Her mother said she was long past the time of delivering children and since it would be put into her daughter who still had viable eggs and other anatomy, if she could give her the joy of child birth, it would be both of them winning.

Not sure how that turned out.

As a young women the idea of having to deliver a child is frightening (Seriously have you see the size of a new born?! :blink:  :unsure:)

I want to have kids - one day - but for the moment it's not even in my mind.

But this topic is an interesting one. I know a lot of fathers would like to know how it is to feel the baby inside you so it would be nice to "to be able to share" this part of creating your family with your partner. 

Also for women having problems conceiving it would be a good option (personnally I know that my chances are of 50 to 60% of being able to conceive and having see how it is I wouldn't like to go through all the medical procedures of IVFs)

But like it had been say previously we need to know a lot more about all the medical and social aspects :)

So who want to carry my baby in 10 years  :P

Edited by clochette
  • Like 1

I had a few attempts of IVF, the hormones given had serious effects to my psyche. really serious mood swings, depression, anxiety attacks. I take it would be multiplied on males. When it is the only chance, I would make an attempt. by the time the technology is routine, we can know more about side effects and long term effects. 5 to 10 years should be the first successful attempts. (first test tube baby was born the same year as I, almost 40 years now, unbelieveable)

• Like 1

wildone, on 22 Nov 2015 - 02:30 AM, said:

I think I remember a year or so ago reading of an English lady who was unable to have children, had her mother donate her uterus. Her mother said she was long past the time of delivering children and since it would be put into her daughter who still had viable eggs and other anatomy, if she could give her the joy of child birth, it would be both of them winning.

It scares me because I wonder if doctors will have more incentive to suggest hysterectomies, and uterus donation, for non-cancerous conditions without trying less radical but potentially effective treatments. Also I worry about the potential black market for this.

• Like 1