2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Fiv In Cats

W_L

Yeah, I know what HIV+ is and how it is not full blown AIDS (Being gay makes it imperative and pertinent to know your history), but I am looking at a prospective pet/friend of the feline variety. He's FIV+, which is something new to me.

I did not know Cats can get infected with retro-viruses similar to humans. Worse, I didn't know there was a stigma that a cat could get for being FIV+ as to be left out on the street, where the animal rescue people found him. 

I want to know more about this: 

How does it happen?

Is it preventable?

I was a dog owner for a long time, but now am feeling lonely after his death several years ago and could use the friendly purrs of a cat on my lap.

• Like 1

First I'd say if you've set your eyes on a cat and want to know more for him, he probably already has his little paws around your heart (Don't worry it's normal, cats have this power over us human lol)

I've never had a cat who was + but being a cat owner I like to know the maximum about them and what could happen to them.

So my big book on cats says:

Most + cats are males uncastrated meaning they like to go hunting the females when it's the season.

The transmission happen mostly by bites and also postpartum.

After being infected it can take years (5 to 10) before the immunodeficiency happen. Then the cat developed opportunistic infections,including the oral cavity (stomatitis). The FIV, by its direct effects, cause nervous disorders and promote the emergence of tumors.

All in all, I think, like humans, a + cat can live a pretty "normal" live but will but more sensitive, will need to be follow closely by the vet and you (especially if he goes out and can be expose to fights with other and/or parasites) but it shouldn't affect his personality and you'll have a great friend to cuddle with.

• Site Moderator

My second cat was a stray that my brother passed on to me - he already had two of his own - so I really don't know how he became infected with FIV.  He was discovered to have it when he was a few years old (he was less than a year when I got him) because the vet suggested he get tested. As clo stated, cats with FIV can lead very normal lives but should be kept indoors for risk of exposure to other cats.  Even when he was diagnosed with an opportunistic kidney disease, he did quite well for another year or so.  Along story short, I got him as an almost year old cat and had him for 10 years. 

Another thing, I've had a couple of cats who were former strays. They both were super affectionate and not aloof in the slightest. I used to joke that my black one had dog blood in him he was so friendly. 

I used to joke that my black one had dog blood in him he was so friendly.

We say the same for Kitty, he loves to play fetch and nudge us if we don't throw whatever he decided to play with :rolleyes:

But W_L if your new little buddy come from a shelter or an association I'm sure they're use to it and can help you/give you tip :)

Edited by clochette

As I have said before, almost every time I visit GA I learn something new. I had never heard of FIV. My found stray kitten was never sick a day for seven years. In the space  of a couple of months, I was at the vets holding her as she went to sleep for the last time. I never knew if it was something I did or didn't do for her. I am now better armed for when the next stray (it's inevitable) comes along.

Thank you

Sandrewn