[LittleBuddhaTW] Seeking Nirvana -- by LittleBuddhaTW

It's finally up ... my new short story, "Seeking Nirvana"

http://littlebuddhatw.gayauthors.org/short...ng_nirvana.html

I'm not sure if this will be everyone's cup of tea, or if many people will even understand, but it's the kind of thing I've been wanting to write for a while, and share some of my beliefs, while making it entertaining (I hope) and not sounding "preachy."

Fortunately, Kitty is also very knowledgeable about the ideas that I discuss in the story, so she was, of course, the perfect editor, and she did an especially good job on this one. She and I both enjoyed working on it together very much, and I hope some of the readers will enjoy it as well.

If you have any comments or questions, please either leave them here, send me a PM, or drop me an e-mail at LittleBuddhaTW@hotmail.com

:D

Also, many thanks to Xandra Kitee for designing a GREAT logo for the story! :worship:

Edited by LittleBuddhaTW

I didn't find it preachy at all.

Very informative, actually.

I hope there is a continuation..the story of Nicky and Calvin back in the "real" world.

You can tell it's the same author as "out of the blue" but in a good way.

I approve :)

I liked the story, LBTW. Good writing!

In some ways, it reminded me of Sumbloke's "Dhamma-Vinaya-Bums"

( http://www.nifty.org/nifty/gay/no-sex/dhamma-vinaya-bums/ ) .

It would be interesting to hear Sumbloke's comments on your story, since he has lots of experience with Buddhism and trying to make it accessible in the form of a tale.

I haven't read that one ... I'll have to go check it out. Sumbloke and I practice different forms of Buddhism, but in the end, they're all seeking the same thing, just different ways to get there. I'll definitely add that to my "have to" reading list, and I, too, hope that Sumbloke will leave some comments on the story as well! :D

Well, you've certainly given me cause to find out more about Buddhism. Fascinating concepts - particularly the one of ridding oneself of suffering. The most enlightening explanation of suffering that I have been exposed to is from C.S. Lewis - suffering is what makes us grow up; it's what makes us leave the nursery.

So is there a "Buddhism for Dummies" that you or Kitty could recommend? :blink:

Spoiler

I must admit to being somewhat miffed at how you dealt with the sexual assault on Calvin. The perpetrator gets to walk away, albeit with wet pants. Certainly not my idea of justice.

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

Well, you've certainly given me cause to find out more about Buddhism. Fascinating concepts - particularly the one of ridding oneself of suffering. The most enlightening explanation of suffering that I have been exposed to is from C.S. Lewis - suffering is what makes us grow up; it's what makes us leave the nursery.

The Dalai Lama has a lot of good 'intro to Buddhism" books ... they always have a ton of his stuff at Barnes & Noble or Border's bookstores. For a little more advanced reading on Zen, the best book is "The Three Pillars of Zen" by Philip Kapleau.

This was an awesome story! One of the best short stories I've ever read, along with being IMHO a great insight into Buddhist philosophy for those (like myself) who have no knowledge of it.

My only real dislike was that it lacked three crucial words at the end: "To be continued".

(which is my way of saying that I really, really liked it!)

Thank you for a really great story!!

:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

As an "outsider" but with little knowledge (My mother is buddhist, I'm not) I'd recommend some of Alexandra David-Neel's books and especially My journey to Lhassa.

Theorical books might frankly be a bit dry and I'll tell you with honesty that even though I was really interested, the Dalai Lama's (or other's for that matter) books bored me at first.

But through the incredible adventure of Alexandra, you'll have a very honest insight of buddhism, its beliefs, its superstitions, its everyday "uses". And as a sceptic occidental, I found her non-proselytic appraoch in this book easier to follow and to accept to a certain extent.

Edited by Xandra Kitee

Just for the record...

Dhamma-Vinaya-Bums isn't really meant to teach anyone about Buddhism - I'm not against the idea but the story is what it is. I left a link in the preamble to the site I recommend for people interested in finding out about Buddhism.

I loved Seeking Nirvana. I agree with other commentators that it would be good to see more but I also think that a short story is sometimes perfect as it is and we'll have to see whether or not David finds he has more to say about it...

peace and loving kindness,

sumbloke

I quite enjoyed the story :)

I have to say that I enjoyed the philosophical ideas and themes running through it first and foremost and the actual plot and characterization secondarily. I have virtually no knowledge of Buddhism beyond what one would naturally pick up. However, I found quite a few of the philosophical ideas presented here quite stimulating. I'd really enjoy having a conversation on the nature of happiness, existance, and time (as it relates to "being") with someone knowledgeable on these matters from a Buddhist perspective. Not that I'd likely agree in most regards, but then that's what would make the conversation interesting: the learning of new ideas.

As Kitty said about books on the subject,

A book like this isn't a "how to" book by any means (it's intellectual, whereas actually doing it is not intellectual -- when you're dealing with spiritual things, words can only take you so far), but it could be a good beginning.

I'd probably only be interested in the intellectual side of it, but I would be interested. Philosophy is something I find endlessly stimulating and enjoyable; I'm always pleased to examin my ideas in a new light and from a new perspective.

Anyway as far as the storyline itself goes, I'd have to say that two things struck me most. I was curious to know what happened to Vic. For some reason I got the impression that he was likely going to commit suicide, though that was just an overall feeling I had and not necessarily based on any textual evidence. The second point is that I found Calvin's transition from troubled, questioning teen to a (fairly) self-assured and comfortable-in-his-own-skin individual a little awkward (much like this sentence :boy: ). I mean one minute he was on the verge of tears over the fact that he was gay and seconds later in the same conversation he was agreeing with Nicky that it was natural. But perhaps he was wrestling with the issue already and simply needed someone to present that side convincingly enough for him to take up that stance.

Also I have to say I thought Nicky seemed like an extremely selfish individual. He only seemed interested in how people's feelings and actions would impact him. Calvin's chattering teeth were keeping him awake, his whimpering was making him lose sleep, "What must Calvin think about ME after having almost been raped" (obviously paraphrased significantly). But I suppose this is done to further illuminate his growth and progress. And it did make him seem more realistically like an adolescent (not that adolescents around here act like that, I seriously think we've got a much more mature crop than you'd typically find, but some teens are stereotypically known to behave in a self-centered manner. Just not ours :2thumbs: ).

Anyway I really enjoyed the story and it gave me fun, new things to think about. You did an excellent job David! Kitty you're editing was superb! And Xandra I LOVE the banner and other artwork, WTG!

Take care everyone and have a "Zen" day.

Kevin

Here's an interesting tidbit I'll just throw out there ... there is a lot of me in Nicky. A lot of people have asked me which one of the characters in SOOTB I am most like, and my answer would have to be none of them. Although none of the events in "Seeking Nirvana" have happened to me, Nicky's personality and personal growth are in many ways (although not all) quite a bit like me. Perhaps that's why it was such an important story to me. The philosophical ideas are also most definitely the ones I adhere to (usually).

To answer Kevin's question about Vic, in my mind, he didn't go off to commit suicide, so don't think too negatively. I was well aware of the "legal issues" as Kitty mentioned as well, but going into that would have just been too complicated and awkward, and would have drawn the story away from its main theme -- namely the philosophy and Nicky's personal growth. I would hope that the experience of the roshi's sword being swung at Vic's neck, and his "death glare" would have been enough of a catalyst to cause Vic to reform his ways.

As for Calvin's acceptance of his sexuality, I don't think it was that sudden. At least in my mind, he *knew* he was gay, he just didn't *want* to be gay. But finally meeting someone who was, who could share the same fears and concerns he was going through, was a big help. I know it was for me the first time I met another gay person. I'm sure Nicky's self-assurance was a help as well. But I don't know ... you'd have to ask Calvin to be sure! ::wink::

Here's an interesting tidbit I'll just throw out there ... there is a lot of me in Nicky. A lot of people have asked me which one of the characters in SOOTB I am most like, and my answer would have to be none of them. Although none of the events in "Seeking Nirvana" have happened to me, Nicky's personality and personal growth are in many ways (although not all) quite a bit like me. Perhaps that's why it was such an important story to me. The philosophical ideas are also most definitely the ones I adhere to (usually).

...Well I feel like a big jerk now :( . I'm sorry David. I didn't mean to insult Nicky and certainly not you. I just meant that you could see quite a bit of growth and development in Nicky, and it was also evident at every stage in the story that he was trying to be a good person.

To answer Kevin's question about Vic, in my mind, he didn't go off to commit suicide, so don't think too negatively. I was well aware of the "legal issues" as Kitty mentioned as well, but going into that would have just been too complicated and awkward, and would have drawn the story away from its main theme -- namely the philosophy and Nicky's personal growth. I would hope that the experience of the roshi's sword being swung at Vic's neck, and his "death glare" would have been enough of a catalyst to cause Vic to reform his ways.

oh good :) Yep I hope he did reform his ways

As for Calvin's acceptance of his sexuality, I don't think it was that sudden. At least in my mind, he *knew* he was gay, he just didn't *want* to be gay. But finally meeting someone who was, who could share the same fears and concerns he was going through, was a big help. I know it was for me the first time I met another gay person. I'm sure Nicky's self-assurance was a help as well. But I don't know ... you'd have to ask Calvin to be sure! ::wink::

Right that makes sense. I can definitely understand it as him being in a sort of limbo stage, waiting for someone to either confirm his guilt and fears or dispel them and instead confirm his hopes. I definitely thought all along that he "knew" he was gay too. And yep I'm sure Nicky's self-assurance was a major boon to Calvin. LOL it is a pitty we can't ask him! :boy:

Anyway take care and have a great day :D

Edited by AFriendlyFace

I'm not insulted at all, Kevin, so don't worry your pretty little head over it! :D

Just like Nicky, I still have a long way to go until I become the kind of person I would like to be (or even maybe become a Buddha? lol) Life is one big journey, a long process, and we're constantly learning and growing. Several of the faults you pointed out in Nicky are issues that I had when I was his age, and some still come back and bite me in the butt from time to time. But I think that once we realize what our problems are, and start to understand where they arise from, that's the first (and most important) step to overcoming them.

And if I'm being any of those things, feel free to point them out ... I promise I won't get angry or offended! :P

• 1 month later...