Free-To-Play With In-Game Transactions - Just Some Rage

I hate these games so much. Pokemon Go became cumbersome because you needed to buy egg incubators to get anywhere on your pokedex. Now because I'm a Fire Emblem fanboy, I'm playing that game and the cost for the enragingly rare summoning orbs is exorbitant - it takes the use of 20 to have a decent chance at summoning a good hero, but buying even just one costs $3CDN. Why?!

The psychology of FtP is so exploitative because it's soooo easy to spend more money than you would on a traditional game. Sigh.

• Like 5

I hate these games so much. Pokemon Go became cumbersome because you needed to buy egg incubators to get anywhere on your pokedex. Now because I'm a Fire Emblem fanboy, I'm playing that game and the cost for the enragingly rare summoning orbs is exorbitant - it takes the use of 20 to have a decent chance at summoning a good hero, but buying even just one costs $3CDN. Why?!

The psychology of FtP is so exploitative because it's soooo easy to spend more money than you would on a traditional game. Sigh.

Yesss, the NOT-so-Free-to-Play game. But it's happening everywhere. My hubby likes to play Call of Duty on his xbox one.. they even have COD Points you can buy now ... so the $80 you spent to buy the game isn't enough anymore.  Ah, the almighty dollar... 

What you are buying isn't real. You can't hold it or touch it, you can't keep it.  Really doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me. 

• Like 5

Those micro transactions will get you every time. I found myself stupidly spending a few dollars on this a couple of years ago on some mobile Injustice game I played with my nephews. I had to destroy them with the gold Aquaman and Batman...

• Like 5

I think the worst thing is that it feels so wrong for an entry into either Pokemon or Fire Emblem to go FtP. It's one thing to have a ground-floor title be FtP but another entirely to transition a series like this. In the case of Fire Emblem, I doubt I'll last a month with this game. Most titles in the series I've done multiple playthroughs and a couple hundred hours logged, but there is no motivation to do that with a game like this. I have a lot more specific criticisms, but I need to just suck it up because the game is well-designed otherwise. But god... They made $2 million in transactions in the first weekend alone.

• Like 2

If you've played Clash, they've made millions and millions from ppl buying in game (my partner is still spending on those games). They sold it to the Chinese for loads of dosh! It's the same for most games - nothing is really free - they use "free" to draw you in, but it always says "this game has in game purchases."

• Like 2

Yesss, the NOT-so-Free-to-Play game. But it's happening everywhere. My hubby likes to play Call of Duty on his xbox one.. they even have COD Points you can buy now ... so the $80 you spent to buy the game isn't enough anymore.  Ah, the almighty dollar... 

What you are buying isn't real. You can't hold it or touch it, you can't keep it.  Really doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

Saying that ... made me think about the things we spend money on that are sort of unnecessary but that we just like, things that make us feel good .... so entertainment. Like alcohol and going to a film ... sort of here then gone ... so if your game gives you pleasure and you can control your spending .... give up your double mochachino lattes and enjoy yourself!
  • Like 2

It's so much less honest to me than spending actual money on a game and *shock horror* having all the content. These days you have to unlock as you go, and money is always the way forward.

Let's not even start on all the incredible shite that MMORPG's want you to pay for with in-game dollars which you get by spending real world dollars. I have given up on all "casual games". Leave me with Heroes of Might and Magic III and Black and White II and I'll be fine forever.

• Like 1