Digital Copyright!!!? O_*

Go to solution Solved by Cia,

Can anyone explain me what is a digital copyright and how and from where we can get!!!? Please use simple language rather than the complicated explanation which was already there in the Google world. 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

You have copyright upon the creation of an original work without registration. The sticky point in that is proving when you created it. For instance, if it is a story published here, you only have to indicate the time and date it was published online.

The only requirement for registering a work would be if you foresaw there might be a need to go to federal court in an infringement case. If a work is or might have the possibility of generating income, it should be registered.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
22 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

However @Emi GS. When you post a poem, it’s protected with copyright label. AC told me a long time ago, if only posted on Live Poets, not protected.

If you manually add the copyright line where it isn't auto-generated, it's not an issue.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, northie said:

What is it you want to claim copyright / ownership for, Emi? Text, image, photo, idea, program ...?

Actually I am going to publish a book for a contest and that's where I got confused with this digital copyright thing. They said:

" I have several books but do not have their digital copyrights. Can I still publish those to enter the contest? 

No, only the authors with digital copyrights can publish the book here."

I got confused there...

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Emi GS said:

Actually I am going to publish a book for a contest and that's where I got confused with this digital copyright thing. They said:

" I have several books but do not have their digital copyrights. Can I still publish those to enter the contest? 

No, only the authors with digital copyrights can publish the book here."

I got confused there...

If they are requiring actual registration, you are likely going to run into a time constraint. The minimum processing time for electronic filing, the shortest period, is six to eight months. This is the current processing time according to the Copyright Office.

Edit:

Now there might be a misunderstanding going on here. They may be just asking if you have the right to publish the work, as in you are the original creator. No guarantees on that though.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
On 26/10/2017 at 5:02 AM, Emi GS said:

I have several books but do not have their digital copyrights. Can I still publish those to enter the contest? 

Emi - you are confusing people. You are saying (above) I have several books which I DO NOT OWN (they are not my books). Can I publish?

Of course the answer you got is NO.

You do not need to register your book to own it, it is yours to publish, you could register for the digital copyright, you have the digital copyright whether you register or not.

What you risk - if this book has not been published previously, on here for example - is not being able to prove the book is yours, if someone should steal it and publish it under their own name - highly unlikely.

So go ahead and enter the book in the competition and stop worrying, it's your book, you are free to publish.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, William King said:

Emi - you are confusing people. You are saying (above) I have several books which I DO NOT OWN (they are not my books). Can I publish?

Of course the answer you got is NO.

You do not need to register your book to own it, it is yours to publish, you could register for the digital copyright, you have the digital copyright whether you register or not.

What you risk - if this book has not been published previously, on here for example - is not being able to prove the book is yours, if someone should steal it and publish it under their own name - highly unlikely.

So go ahead and enter the book in the competition and stop worrying, it's your book, you are free to publish.

Thanks William. I got it after some answers. Thanks for giving a clear explanation on it. :)