advanced search facility

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

I am an avid reader (using my Galaxy tablet)  of GA stories and I use the advanced search facility always. However, after I've made my reading selection (from the search results) I can't go back to the original search results (not criteria). I've tried the Download, History, and Favourites facilities in my Browser but, for some reason, I can never return to my original search.  It's annoying, I have to go back and re-enter my search criteria to replicate the search. Is there any way to store a search permanently so I can always have the original search result on hand? I'm a bit frustrated so I've asked for help.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Do you mean saving the search result for all time, like saving it as a bookmark you could click on and go back to again and again? No, as the database changes when things are added so that really wouldn't work. But if you want to keep your search results while you're online/reading during the time you're online that day/time you're reading, I'd recommend you open any story you want to look at closer or read in a new tab. That way, when you're done reading, you close the tab you're reading on and you're right back to the search results tab with all the selections still in place or you can easily navigate between them. Just tap/hold on the story title and then select "open in a new tab" instead of just simply tapping on the story title to open it from the search results.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution
42 minutes ago, Cia said:

But if you want to keep your search results while you're online/reading during the time you're online that day/time you're reading, I'd recommend you open any story you want to look at closer or read in a new tab. That way, when you're done reading, you close the tab you're reading on and you're right back to the search results tab with all the selections still in place or you can easily navigate between them. Just tap/hold on the story title and then select "open in a new tab" instead of just simply tapping on the story title to open it from the search results.

@grahamsealby

Cia's response works best under the current system.  The upcoming update to the stories software, which will hopefully be posted this week, handles this better.  There is not a separate advanced search page any more with the new version.  When you click forward to read a story and then click back, it returns to your search results (the blue highlights show what is being filtered)

image.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Myr said:

@grahamsealby

Cia's response works best under the current system.  The upcoming update to the stories software, which will hopefully be posted this week, handles this better.  There is not a separate advanced search page any more with the new version.  When you click forward to read a story and then click back, it returns to your search results (the blue highlights show what is being filtered)

image.png

• Like 1

Thanks that's brilliant! I would have never thought to take the approach opening a separate tab. Ta muchly!

I'm not sure what is mean by not having an advanced search option. I use this all the time. What is the alternative approach?

• Site Administrator

Last week Myr posted a bit about the new way to filter Stories that will be the new way to search for specific kinds of stories in the Site Technology blog last week. With the way you like to ask questions on how to do things, you really should follow that blog (and probably the Weekly Wrap Up) so you get a notification when one is posted each week because he posts great tips with photos and stuff, and sometimes sneak peeks at upcoming changes to the site. To do that, you simply go to the Tech Blog and click on the blue button that says 'Follow' and then set your notifications how you want them. 

Link to the Site Technology Blog so you can follow it: https://www.gayauthors.org/blogs/blog/633-site-technology/

Link to the Site Technology Blog specific to last week about the changes to the Stories search format: https://www.gayauthors.org/blogs/entry/17592-tech-tuesday-story-archive-next-version/

But what it basically will mean, is when you click on those different tabs above the stories, e.g. Authors or Genre or Tag, you will be able to select options on those different story meta data fields just like you could when you went to the actual Advanced Search page. When you go through all the different options that are always there above the listing of stories it will then have check marks by those options you select and it will filter all the stories and show them below that fit in that criteria, just like it did with the Advanced Search. The biggest benefit you should appreciate with this new upgrade, however, is that the new story filtering system will also then REMEMBER those check marks you set for the different meta data on the stories and keep showing you those stories that just fit all the items you checked, even if you click on a story, go read it, and then click back without using the 'open in a new tab' idea I just mentioned. 

• Like 1
On 7/2/2018 at 12:56 PM, grahamsealby said:

Thanks that's brilliant! I would have never thought to take the approach opening a separate tab. Ta muchly!

I'm not sure what is mean by not having an advanced search option. I use this all the time. What is the alternative approach?

When and how will the new design facility be released?

• Like 1