Notifications of things I don't need to really know

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

I was getting notifications whenever new content was added, but recently I'm getting notifications about all kinds of things, i.e.  when an author makes changes to previous chapters (even on stories that are completed); whenever someone makes a comment on a story, etc.  I checked how my notifications were set up and I don't see any way to change that.

• Like 1

There have been some problems with notifications, eg for comments on chapters in stories you follow. However, the bugs are gradually being fixed. You need to go through the whole list of possible notifications under the Notifications Settings under your profile. Move the toggle to the right on those notifications you don't want. I have done it for the one that reads: 

Notify me when a chapter is updated for a story I follow

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Myr said:

If you don't want a notification when a story/chapter is updated, uncheck the "Notify me when story I follow is updated"  The below screenshot are my own settings.  I have that off myself.

Hmm that's interesting. I can see you have the Notify me when a chapter is updated for a story I follow on, but I assume you don't get notifications for that, because you have the Notify me when story I follow is updated off, since you're saying it turns off updates for both story and chapter. I left the story update notification on, because I thought I wouldn't get any notifications for new chapters posted, if I turned it off.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Notify me when a chapter is updated for a story I follow 

This is the notification so and so Edited chapter X.

Ditto for the Story update notification.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Myr said:

This is the notification so and so Edited chapter X.

Ditto for the Story update notification.

Yes, I know.

But what I don't know is whether unchecking "Notify me when story I follow is updated" will also prevent notifications of chapter updates and notifications of new chapters being posted.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

But what I don't know is whether unchecking "Notify me when story I follow is updated" will also prevent notifications of chapter updates and notifications of new chapters being posted.

I have already answered that.  "updated" means editing.

There is a separate toggle for new chapter notifications:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
25 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Never mind. I give up. 

image.png

Ah.  I see the issue. I shorthanded the explanation. It should have said " if you don't want a notification when a story/chapter is updated, uncheck the "Notify me when story/chapter I follow is updated" 

Updated means "Edits".  There are toggles for Story edits and Chapter edits. as shown in the highlight above. 

There is no connection between "Update" and "New Chapter" in notifications.

The purpose of the story update is to let you know a status change, from in progress to Complete, for example.

Chapter edits are usually just clean-ups.

• Like 3