ISO: Editor

Hey Everyone!  

I am currently writing a new story, and will be in need of a new editor!  This story is a bit different from what I am used to writing, and I am excited to start something fresh and new!  If you think you may be interested please let me know!  

I am looking for someone with a few week turn around, I am not super demanding at all I understand it's all volunteer and Life happens just communication is key!

I have had some fantastic editors, sadly life gets in the way 

I am looking more for punctuation, and some times grammar, and to make sure things come across clear. (No problem with hearing thoughts on the story!) 

I use Word, and normally go by comments on the chapters. 

I have one full chapter ready to go 

\

Here is a little preview of the chapter

KD

Spoiler

I wash my hair, debating if I should get highlights in it again or just cut them out.  I put it to the back of my mind, I just want to enjoy the hot water hitting me. Then I hear the door open.  “Are you fucking serious Joshua!” Joe yells as he comes into the bathroom.  
 I roll my eyes, “What.” I say.  
 “You just walk out of class like that?” Joe says shoving back the shower curtain.   
 It’s not like I was embarrassed of him seeing me naked, we are identical twins so it’s not like he is seeing anything he doesn’t have at all.  “Yeah, I wasn’t about to sit there and listen to him lecture and embarrass me in front of the whole fucking class Joseph.” I tell him emphasizing his full name.  
 “Well he’s right, you should come work with me at the pizza place.” He says.  
 I scrunch my nose at that, “No, I make three times as much money in one night.  Besides, I don’t have a full ride like you do.  I still have to pay for books and access codes.”  
 Joe rolls his eyes, “Josh, what if something goes wrong, like you get a stalker?”  
 “It wont.” I tell him. 
 “How do you know?”  
 “Joseph, it wont happen. Plus, I am more careful now more than ever.”  
 “He just shakes his head, have you been tested recently?” He asks looking concerned.  
 I look at him confused, “Joe I don’t sleep with clients.  I’m not some fucking whore just because I am gay.  I have never slept with a client all I have done is just jerked off on cam that’s it!  I can’t fucking believe that’s what you think.” I try to hold back my anger.  
 I can see regret all over his face, “Sorry, I just worry about you.  You’re my twin man, and I love you and I don’t want to see you messed up from all this.”  
 “Joe, you sleep around way more than I do, so don’t get me started.” I say.  
 This causes him to blush, “Fair point.  I am going to get tested.” He says not making eye contact.  
 I laugh, “So you want me to go with you.” I ask.  
 He nods, “yeah…”  
 “You should have just asked, instead of assumed I would need to be tested.”  
 “I’m not as open with this stuff as you are.” He says.  

Edited by KD_stories
to make the post better informed

I understand you are seeking an editor for a story you are writing that is to you a new genre. A little more information might be helpful to an editor candidate. Are we speaking of an editor to correct grammatical errors only, or do you need help with word choice, spelling, homonyms, punctuation, etc? Is this a 'one-off' or a continuing series of submittals, one chapter at a time? For example, I feel competent to edit for spelling errors and word selection, but not so in punctuation. A little more information would be helpful.

I spent some time reading about half of an older story that you submitted to GA and I was surprised that the chapters I read were not too badly messed up as far as grammar and word choice was concerned. The dialog that took place between teenagers in the story was well handled. Yes, there were grammatical errors from time to time, but they were typical of teenaged speech patterns. You do not want your young persons using language as an English professor would, young people just do not talk that way especially in chit-chat with one another.

In the areas of exposition, that is where the author was describing a scene or the appearance of a person there were some errors in word choice that should not have appeared. the author is expected to use good grammar.

the pacing, that is the speed at which the story moved from scene to scene, appeared good as well. There was one comment at the end of a chapter which drew my attention. Most of the comments were of the nature: 'good chapter now hurry and post the next one'. Many of the readers of GA do not realize that there is a limit placed on the number of chapters that can be posted in a week and authors do have other lives to live outside of GA and cannot spend 24\7 writing, but there was, as I say, one posting that caught my eye. It was a comment by an author about a disagreement he had with his editor about some point. That, to me, is an absolute no, no. A story is a cooperation between author and editor, true. But if there is a disagreement between them, the story belongs to the author; it is his baby, his creation, and if there is a disagreement between him and his

editor the author is always in command. The editor is there as an aide, a helper, not an owner or boss.

In summary, I am not strong in the area in which you are seeking help, that is punctuation, but if I can help with word choice, spelling or in some other way, get back to me and we can discuss it.

I have been writing for a better part of 8 years, to me writing gets better with time.  I do agree with your statements on how the writing belongs to the author.  I was lucky to have Rustle he is fantastic as to not tell me how to write my story.  Grammar was never my concern (there are mistakes most can be caught easily), it was more or less punctuation that has always been my weakness. 

• 3 weeks later...