Hi Lacon!

Ryan's behavior certainly seems to be stirring up some very interesting thoughts!

2) I'm loving Mikey's story. My favorite scene so far is the moment when Mikey came to the door on that dark rainy night. The horror movie set up was great. I guessed that it was either Cody or trent at the door. I never suspected that it was Mikey. You got me , David. That night was Mikey's worst horror story coming true. Connor was horrified that anyone could treat a nice guy like Mikey the way his parents did.

This was also the first moment that Connor began to question Ryan's reactions to things. It was the turning point to the second half of the story

This is just great plotting.

I certainly can't argue with either of those points. Mikey's situation is, sadly, all too common. In many cases it's even worse: the kid is tossed out and disowned, and ends up on the street. :angry:

I too was at a loss regarding who was banging on that door that dark and stormy night! My guess was

Eleanor Van Epps, out searching for Dominic, or those who "lead him astray". As you might notice, my guesses are usually way off base! :P

Aaargh ... I stand corrected.

... I could have sworn there was something in an earlier chapter about Mikey's parents being "religious", but no ... just the religious protesters at the Spring Fair.

Kitty, I had the exact same reaction and impression.. I was positive that there was religion involved. But I did a re-read, and found nothing. Hmmmm. I think we could just blame LB for this somehow.... I have no idea how, but there must be a way. :P

I was perplexed by one of the twins mentioning that he thought the other was Bi, right before Mikey was invited over! I really wonder what is going to happen there when Mikey stays the night!

I absolutely loved Connor organizing the intervention, and the irony of it all.

As for the song titles.. I had no idea! That's brilliant! I'll have to go see if I can find the lyrics..

BTW, a serious word of warning: I freelance as a computer consultant (second career), and one of the most common causes of service calls to me is a teenager who has gone surfing for song lyrics. Many of those sites are spyware launchers, and once that junk infects your system it ccan be a nightmare to be rid of (sometimes requiring a full clean re-install of windows).

If anyone really wants to check out the song lyrics, I suggest going to http://www.eltonography.com. It's a very safe website, and nicely done. :D

If anyone really wants to check out the song lyrics, I suggest going to http://www.eltonography.com. It's a very safe website, and nicely done. :D

Thanks, LB!

Might I suggest putting a link to it on your page sometime? Just a thought.

OK, I'm utterly useless at interpreting song lyrics.. So, what the heck does "I took myself a blue canoe" mean, in the song entitled "where to now, St. Peter"?

The impression I got from the lyrics was that it's a song about indecision, choosing one's path, and mental angst. Did I even come close?

I think I'll go back and look at all the previous chapter titles, now that I know what you were doing. I think this is very clever indeed, and gives the story a whole new layer of complexity. :2thumbs:

OK, I'm utterly useless at interpreting song lyrics.. So, what the heck does "I took myself a blue canoe" mean, in the song entitled "where to now, St. Peter"?

It's better understood if you put that line in context with the line immediately following it.

As to your interpretation of the song's overall meaning, I think you're pretty darn close. It's not about the "pearly gates" at all. It's about figuring out which direction one should go now ... "Where to now, St. Peter?" = "Which way should I go?" And yes, there's lots of angst in that particular song.

Elton John songs are difficult to interpret, though. Bernie Taupin, the one who writes Elton's lyrics, has said that the lyrics to some songs ("Take Me to the Pilot" comes to mind immediately) are just rubbish ... they have no meaning at all. Others have several different possibile interpretations.

And like I said, sometimes it's just the song title that has meaning to me when selecting it for a chapter title, other times it's the title and lyrics ... and sometimes, both.

It's better understood if you put that line in context with the line immediately following it.

As to your interpretation of the song's overall meaning, I think you're pretty darn close. It's not about the "pearly gates" at all. It's about figuring out which direction one should go now ... "Where to now, St. Peter?" = "Which way should I go?" And yes, there's lots of angst in that particular song.

Elton John songs are difficult to interpret, though. Bernie Taupin, the one who writes Elton's lyrics, has said that the lyrics to some songs ("Take Me to the Pilot" comes to mind immediately) are just rubbish ... they have no meaning at all. Others have several different possibile interpretations.

And like I said, sometimes it's just the song title that has meaning to me when selecting it for a chapter title, other times it's the title and lyrics ... and sometimes, both.

Was "Saturday nights all right (for fighting)" one of your candidates for the Chap 18 title?

Interesting that the songwriter would characterize his own lyrics as being "rubbish"!

What a really neat twist, using the song titles..

I recall that one of the qualities of Buddhas is that they are enigmatic... And you certainly are! :great:

I'm really looking forward to ch. 20.. Anyone else wondering what will happen with Mikey and the Twins, given that one is said to be bi or gay by the other? :devil:

Well, it seems that I read more into Mikey's family than what was written. I admit, it was probably due to my own personal experiences. I have rarely ran into parents who are "Up Standing" citizens and seem to be well educated reacting the way they did. ( Okay, don't read to much into that.) I am just stating that they are not Red Necks, they seem to be Professionals and most people with there standing in the community are a little more liberal with their children. They may not like it, or understand it, but most of them end up like Maggie, I love my children no matter what. I have never run into or seen this reaction from people who seem to be knowledgeable about life and society in general. Hence, my conclusion that an out side belief has influenced their reaction. Enough debate on that. :music:

I am finding it very interesting how everyone is looking at Ryan. Each one of you has a very valid point. I am not sure that I have a fully developed one myself. I just keep going back to Ryan being so calm when he found out that Cody kept wanting to kiss Connor and that they needed a break. He just wanted Connor to figure out what he wanted in life. Now let

As he is being presented in the story, Ryan is an enigma.

Kitty

That's a good point.. My hunch is that LB did that for a reason, and that reason will involve some revelations and explanations in coming chapters. Just a hunch.

Or maybe he's keeping it a secret...... I mean, what really happened???? Maybe Connor's mom isn't really dead....maybe she's being held captive by Ryan, who is administering a mind altering drug that will erase her memory and make her his assassin once again :devil::devil::devil: ...........

or, maybe it's what everyone said above :)

Don't mind me...I've had too many pudding snacks tonight

Thanks to all of you! Like I have said before, I just try to throw out idea's that no one else has mentioned. I have thought of writing many times and I am not sure that it will not happen soon, but never forget what goes unsaid. Kitty, I really appreciate your honesty and integrity. I am glad that I am able to provoke a thought or two. That is what makes a chat room worth going back to. Thank you for not judging me but considering a different point of view. David, you will have to settle this issue with your next chapter or two! You are brilliant and I can not wait to see what gift you have been given. I hope to some day write a story that is as sharp and intelligent as yours.

Thanks to all of you for inviting me into your world! I look forward to getting to know each of you better and I think we will as long as David continues to write stories that force us to look in side our selves and reevaluate how we feel and think. That is the true sign of a brilliant writer.

Boxerdude (David) :worship:

I've been wondering that if I decided to hold off on posting the next chapter for a while, if some of the many lurkers out there would start posting in the forum ... 0:)

That's not to say that our usual few "culprits" don't add wonderful insights and thoughts (which they DO), but there are a lot of people out there who are hiding ... so step out of the shadows and post something ... anything ... Buddhas like attention! :P

Here are some samples, all of which are short, sweet, and perfectly acceptable:

1) Excellent chapter, Buddha! Can't wait to read the next one!

2) Damn, Buddha, that chapter totally sucked! What the hell happened?!?!

3) Buddha, you're sooo dreamy!!! :wub:

Or you could expand on those with some analysis, insight, or whatever your wee little hearts desire!

:boy:

Thanks to all of you! Like I have said before, I just try to throw out idea's that no one else has mentioned. I have thought of writing many times and I am not sure that it will not happen soon, but never forget what goes unsaid. Kitty, I really appreciate your honesty and integrity. I am glad that I am able to provoke a thought or two. That is what makes a chat room worth going back to. Thank you for not judging me but considering a different point of view. David, you will have to settle this issue with your next chapter or two! You are brilliant and I can not wait to see what gift you have been given. I hope to some day write a story that is as sharp and intelligent as yours.

Thanks to all of you for inviting me into your world! I look forward to getting to know each of you better and I think we will as long as David continues to write stories that force us to look in side our selves and reevaluate how we feel and think. That is the true sign of a brilliant writer.

Very well said!

LB and Kitty have done something wonderful in giving us SOOTB.

BTW, if you haven't read it, I highly recommend LB's "Seeking Nirvana", a short story on his story page.

As for you taking up writing, I certainly hope that you do! You have a way with both words and insight that is well-suited for writing IMHO.

That's not to say that our usual few "culprits" don't add wonderful insights and thoughts (which they DO), but there are a lot of people out there who are hiding ... so step out of the shadows and post something ... anything ... Buddhas like attention! :P

When I was in the far East, I learned that Buddhas like to have their bellies rubbed, too. It's considered good luck. :P

Seriously though: I do hope the lurkers will start dropping in and posting! It makes things a lot more fun for everyone, and it's also a nice way to say "thanks" to LB and Kitty for giving us this fantastic story!

Um....is this a ransom note???

I think it just might be... Hmmmmm.. First, he has Connor attacked, and then he gives Toby Leukemia, and now it's ransom demands!! Well, now you know why I sometimes say that "LB" stands for "Little Beelzebub". :P

BTW, anyone besides me have any thoughts on why one of the twins, Derick (also known as Derick/Ethan :P ) is so sure his brother Ben is Bi? And, more to the point, what will happen when Mikey stays the night at their house? Maybe a whole new sub-plot in the making?

BTW, anyone besides me have any thoughts on why one of the twins, Derick (also known as Derick/Ethan :P ) is so sure his brother Ben is Bi? And, more to the point, what will happen when Mikey stays the night at their house? Maybe a whole new sub-plot in the making?

Good thinking, but I have some doubts. It already seems like Mikey and the twins have known each other for years now. If something happened, it could've happened long ago.

You're not alone that is curious about Ben's sexuality. :D

Edited by Jack Frost
As for you taking up writing, I certainly hope that you do! You have a way with both words and insight that is well-suited for writing IMHO.

When I was in the far East, I learned that Buddhas like to have their bellies rubbed, too. It's considered good luck. :P

James, thank you for the compliment!! I really appreciate it. I have been doing a lot of thinking and trying to come up with a story line. I have always loved to write but have never done much about it. I have an outline for a book I want to write but it is about "relationships" not just gay but all kinds. Kind of a self help kind of book for those who don't know how to put into words what they are feeling and or for those who maybe are missing the boat on how to have a relationship. It would involve straight and gay couples, Kids vs. parents, friends, and several other topics.

Anyway, right now I am enjoying the psycology behind what LB is doing with his wonderful story. He really leaves a lot to think about and ponder.

LB, please don't leave us in the lurches to long! I need my fix!!!

Boxerdude!!! :2thumbs:

AHHH. An area I have some experience in, since I have a twin brother. If you hold to the theory that being gay is genetic (and I do) then it isn't possible for one identical twin to be gay and the other straight, since they come from the same egg, Their genetics are identical. Therefore if Derek/Ethan is bi, then Ben should heve these tendencies too. Interesting....

BTW This would not apply to fraternal twins, since they are just strangers sharing a womb, sort of like 'wombmates" :lol::lol:

Edited by Lacon

Good thinking, but I have some doubts. It already seems like Mikey and the twins have known each other for years now. If something happened, it could've happened long ago.

You're not alone that is curious about Ben's sexuality. :D

Hmmm... That's an interesting angle. You may very well be right, but I see another angle being at least possible. OK, Mikey and the twins have known each other for years, but is this the first time that Mikey would have heard about Ben's possible sexuality? And when would Ben and Derrick hear about Mikey? Would they know before he was outed?

I can speak from experience that it's very possible for two gay guys to know each other, and even live together as roomates, and be physically attracted to one another, yet still take months to figure out that they are both gay. That was without one of them being in denial, too, as Ben sounds to be.

It;s also very possible to be in denial of being gay (and I imagine even easier to be in denial of being Bi) well past their ages. I certainly was. I'm certainly curious as to WHY Derrick and their parents think that Ben is gay or Bi.

I'm not suggesting that anything physical will happen between Ben and Mikey, but like you I'm very curious as to what is happening with Ben, and wonder whether we will see some very interesting conversations there.

It's definitely a puzzle.. Buddha works in mysterious ways.. :P

okay, budday has obokay, Buddha has obviously put all of us in a position to question many things. He has set us up for a situation that has many out comes. The twins, in my opinion are not that much of a mystery. Due to the nature of twins, we will soon enough know what is really going on. I just want to get to get to the nuts and bolts of Ryan and Connor. This relationship is at the center of the whole story and I want clarification on where everyone stands. I will not let myself get distracted from what is the most important par of this story. Ryan and Connor, I think that hey will either solidify their love for each other or it will be dissolved. That is the core of this story. I hope that there is a happy ending to this because there has been so much paid described. Nothing else really matters if Ryan and Connor can

Okay, no one has posted a comment in 2 days. How many of you are like crawling at the walls for the next chapter to be posted? I know that I am about to go mad because I want to know what the heck is going on. Please LB, post us a new chapter so we can have something more to chat about. This story is really a self fulling story and everyone of us wants to be apart of it. From my point of view, it seems like this is the longest time between chapters. I know that you have a lot to consider as you write this wonderful story, but the rest of us are going crazy trying to figure out what is going to happen next. I have absorbed myself with all the other postings, but nothing comes close to what you have written, so I guess I am waiting with baited breath to know what is going to happen next. God do I sound pathetic? Sorry, I just want to move on past what I already know.

Boxerdude. :hug:

Okay, no one has posted a comment in 2 days. How many of you are like crawling at the walls for the next chapter to be posted? I know that I am about to go mad because I want to know what the heck is going on. Please LB, post us a new chapter so we can have something more to chat about. This story is really a self fulling story and everyone of us wants to be apart of it. From my point of view, it seems like this is the longest time between chapters. I know that you have a lot to consider as you write this wonderful story, but the rest of us are going crazy trying to figure out what is going to happen next. I have absorbed myself with all the other postings, but nothing comes close to what you have written, so I guess I am waiting with baited breath to know what is going to happen next. God do I sound pathetic? Sorry, I just want to move on past what I already know.

Boxerdude. :hug:

Well, we just found out the exceedingly ominous title of Ch. 20! It's in a new thread "Ch 20 is entitled "Somebody's final song"!! "

I know it's not the same as a new chapter (Which I crave as much as you do) but LB has sure given us something to chew on!! I've posted a few thoughts on it in that thread.. Yipes!