Imagine Magazine Question For 3/1

p8Ps8f0.jpg?1

It's a question that I ask on the forums every now and then, and the answers are always different. I'd love to add the comments to Imagine Magazine this time around.

When it comes to answering questions or comments online, it seems like it should be the easiest thing in the world, right? I mean, we read articles, we read stories, we watch Youtube videos, etc...we consume information and free entertainment on a level that is unprecedented in the eyes of former generations. And yet...when we're asked to contribute or speak up...we remain silent. It's almost like there's this crippling anxiety involved with letting people actually hear what we have to say. But WHY?

If someone were to attempt to take your voice AWAY from you, you'd probably be outraged and you'd fight tooth and nail to shout your feelings and opinions from the highest mountain top! And yet...when given the opportunity to comment on something without restriction or censorship...you hesitate. Why?

If I were to ask you, "Is the sky blue? Or is it purple?" And you read that question...you KNOW the answer. Right? You read that question, and it gets processed in your brain, and you know what you would want to say. I'm asking you, directly, to hear your answer. But...you refuse to answer. Why is that? I do it sometimes too. What's blocking us from being a part of the conversation? What's preventing us from giving an answer, or bullying us out of sharing our opinion?

Are we too busy? Are we scared? Are we worried about how other people will view our perspective on a certain topic? Is it laziness? Do we not care? What's keeping us from taking a minute or two to let people know what's on our minds? The internet is FULL of trolls who want to complain and rant and rave about meaningless bullshit, but when we're asked a simple question and are encouraged to give our true thoughts about it...we turtle up into a tight ball and don't say anything at all. What are we protecting? And what's so scary about being a visible part of a public conversation?

Have you ever really thought about it? Let me know what you guys think about this!

Hehehe, and yes...I am fully aware of the irony involved when it comes to asking people why they REFUSE to answer questions that they read online...expecting an answer! LOL! BUT...who knows? Maybe this one will bring a few more people out of the shadows. We all take a lot of things for granted without even knowing it sometimes. And if I were to personally block people from saying anything on my site, I'm sure they'd throw a fit. Well, here's an open invitation to speak your mind. Will you take it? Or will you just read it and move on? Let's see... 

• Love 1

I think one of my biggest downfalls with commenting on stuff is simple procrastination. I might read a post, or get an email, or enjoy a story online...and I'll have all of these ideas in my head about what I want to say and how to comment, but I'll tell myself, "I'll come back and do it later when I get a chance to type it out clearly." And, of course...'later' never happens. I get caught up with other things, and after a while, it's been so long that I figure, "What's the point in answering NOW?" You know? So that's my biggest problem, I think. I try to combat that though, and now I answer and make comments right then and there while I'm thinking about it.

While there are SOME issues where I feel like I should just keep quiet and not really get involved...they are few. I have never once felt bad about having an opinion on just about anything. I just don't subscribe to 'black and white' thinking. If I feel a certain way about a topic, it doesn't mean that I'm right or wrong, nor is the OTHER person right or wrong. It's just how I feel, and I have my reasons for feeling that way. And I think I'm intelligent enough to make my point without deliberately attacking somebody else's point of view. If they take offense...then I'll apologize, as it wasn't my intention. But that's not going to bully me out of having a voice. Speak your truth. Why not?

And if you're somebody who is deathly afraid of being criticized and attacked for your thoughts and ideas...then maybe you should rethink your thoughts and ideas. "I think we should be able to punch babies in the face and run over harmless bunnies in the street! But I guess that's not popular to say, huh?" Ummmm...yeah. That's something you should re-examine when you have a chance. Hehehe!

But, cartoonish examples aside, I think people should be able to share what they think without fear of being attacked. However, I think that people need to use tact and a certain level of social etiquette when expressing those ideas. And if we disagree...then we just disagree. So be it. It's not a sport. There's nothing to win, nothing to lose. So SAY SOMETHING already!

There are times when I put stuff off until later, times when I feel I don't have much to offer in the current conversation, and occasions when I'm just not interested. But when I like something, LOVE something, or have something to offer...I say it. I chime in and let people know what I think. And NOT when it's just some negative vibe where I want to rant and blow off steam. I support the stuff that I really love and want to see do well too. I congratulate people who are doing good things. I applaud people who have accomplished something great. I wish people well when they're sick, I give advice and personal experience when I can, and I love sharing a few jokes or songs or touching videos when I can. I mean...what's stopping me? Seriously...what is holding me back?

Speak up! Talk! Make friends! Let the world know who you are? None of us live forever. So take this opportunity to leave footprints that you can be proud of! It's all that will be left of you in the end. Make the best of it. 

• Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..