Formatting

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

Stories get posted with different fonts and sometimes mixed font size (https://gayauthors.org/story/cljobe/jimmy-richie/1) that is an example of the latter, mixed font size.

Is it possible to have stories load up and they get converted in the process to one easy to read font or at least the same size text (like when you post here)? 

• Like 2

I know this doesn't answer your main question, Tal, but I have just clicked on the link to that story. On my screen the text is all in standard font... :unsure2:

Perhaps this depends on the device  being used to read the story?

It certainly looks fine on my laptop, running Windows 8.1 and using the latest version of Google Chrome. It also looks fine on my smartphone (Samsung A20, again in Chrome).

(But a possible explanation is that the author has gone back and edited the formatting since you first read it, Tal...)

Edited by Marty
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution
3 minutes ago, Marty said:

I have just clicked on the link to that story. On my screen the text is all in standard font...

It's subtle.

4 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

Is it possible to have stories load up and they get converted in the process to one easy to read font or at least the same size text (like when you post here)? 

The editor is exactly the same in the Stories system as here.  The editor takes what you put into it.  When you are not remotely technically savvy, such as your example of a link to an 82 yo author, you get what you get. 

The display portion of stories actively strips out excessive double spacing and a number of other common issues to try to correct for bad inputs from the members.  In an ideal situation, an author can copy their text from their word processor, paste into the editor, and then click the button that clears formatting.  This would give the cleanest input.  Unfortunately, a lot of people overuse italics and bold and would then have to manually put it back in.  This is why we don't automatically strip formatting on paste.

Some authors (not the one linked, to be clear) also ignore us when we tell them to use plain text with minimal formatting so that it shows up correctly in most browsers.  When we remind them, they yell at us like we are somehow destroying their art.  10 years of that with self posting... and well... no...  you want an author to fix something, reach out and help them fix it.  We can't fix that problem from the system end. We've done as much as we can.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Myr said:

you want an author to fix something, reach out and help them fix it.  We can't fix that problem from the system end. We've done as much as we can.

Okay, no problem, I did not know he was 82 (there are other examples, this was just the latest I read). I will message him. Thanks for the quick reply. And @Marty you might not notice on a big screen.

• Like 1