This is a tragic event, but thankfully authorities were able to stop vehicles from getting on the bridge before the collapse or it could have been much worse.  Unfortunately, they weren't able to get the workers that were making repairs on the bridge off in time, but if the bridge was  full of traffic at that time, the situation would have been much worse.  I've been watching the news most  of the morning, and it seems as if they are still looking for 6 people that were thrown in the water when the bridge collapsed.  They have saved 4 people, but there are 6 that are still missing.  Some might have been knocked unconscious or crushed during the collapse and may never be saved, so my thoughts and prayers go out to their families.  

• Love 3

I quite agree, the fact that all sections of the bridge came down so quickly raises alarm bells in my head, especially since I travel that route every time I take older horses to retirement in Virginia.  My sensibilities tell me at least SOME of the bridge should have remained standing, even if unfit for travel.   I may just take the long way thru Pa and WV from now on! Much smaller bridge spans!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Kitt said:

I quite agree, the fact that all sections of the bridge came down so quickly raises alarm bells in my head, especially since I travel that route every time I take older horses to retirement in Virginia.  My sensibilities tell me at least SOME of the bridge should have remained standing, even if unfit for travel.   I may just take the long way thru Pa and WV from now on! Much smaller bridge spans!

The safer route may not be the shortest but it is always the best. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

The safer route may not be the shortest but it is always the best. 

Until yesterday morning I would have considered the shorter route on major highways a safer route than back roads that may not be as well maintained, may be too narrow to safely drive a horse trailer, and I am unfamiliar with.  

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Until yesterday morning I would have considered the shorter route on major highways a safer route than back roads that may not be as well maintained, may be too narrow to safely drive a horse trailer, and I am unfamiliar with.  

Hopefully, when the bridge is rebuilt it will be the safer route for you, that would be better for you and the horses. 🤞

• Love 2

A lot of people will become ‘experts’ in bridge design as more horrific details of this terrible tragedy emerge

Those interested in this (and understanding the risks to themselves and family using old bridges - still statistically very low), might wish to read the initial thoughts of some actual experts - structural engineers:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-baltimore-bridge-collapse/#:~:text=Bridges are not designed to,container ship is significantly larger.

• Like 2
  • Love 2