Starting school...

Formosa

• Site Moderator

Not exactly a back to school tale but a similair situation. Back when I was much younger, I would get the same way with new people at work. It would take me awhile to warm up to them for the first couple of weeks. Once I got past that, things went okay. When I became a supervisor, I had to change that. You can't be a supervisor and not talk to people.

You'll do fine.

• Site Administrator

I'm 43 and I'm STILL introverted. I can make myself extroverted in a situation where I'm comfortable with what is going on (like here), but put me somewhere strange and I'll go quiet.

Some people are just like that, so don't worry about it. If I really have to mix, I'll find someone who's extroverted and stay at the periphery of their group. If they are a good person, they'll drag in the others over time.

Not everyone has to be extorverted, so don't get worried because you're not. There's nothing wrong with taking time to make friends.

You sound like me, David, heh. Went back to school finally last year after a year longer hiatus, so I kinda know how you feel. I'm sure you'll do fine - just take it easy, relax, and don't worry about talking to people. Here's a bit of luck though just in case :)

Had a birthday dinner with one of my old school friends and another is my partner of 15 years. I fall off the edge of the charts for being an introvert and it works well while I am sailing across to europe by myself and presumably when i sail back. Yet over the years since school I have ended up with great long term friends. I also end up ok with others over time but it is still hard and it has been a while since I first went to school( I did go back and get a masters in the 1990's when I was 50). Good luck in your new adventure.

By the way looking forward to chapter 13. Pax, Steve

I can't wait for school to start. Mostly because I'm sick of this shithole town, and can't stand living in this house with my sister having moved back home, with her boyfriend in tow. I'm going down there friday morning hopefully to move some stuff in, there are apparently only four desks in an apartment that is supposed to house five guys.. plus I wanna lay claim to a bed that isn't a top bunk hehe.

Hi everyone,

thanks for writing back and all the support and sharing of your own experiences. I did feel so much better after reading many of your replies, and felt less like I'm the only one with the problem.

Just briefly, it went pretty well actually. 0:) Started slow and awkward at first, but once I got to be in a small tour group with my own classmates, the conversation just carried on its own. I just went along with the conversation, smiled a lot, asked and answered, and conversations just went from there, from one thing to another. Met a really sweet and cute guy, but he's not what (you and) I thought/hoped he would be. Oh well...look, but no touch.

If you're interested knowing details of what happened, my blog has more...

Tomorrow is another day of induction, with lunches and dinners, a boat trip too, rounded off with a party. Normally I'm not so hot about parties, but I think I'll go along to see what it's like. Who knows I might even enjoy it.

again, thanks to everyone! Really appreciate the replies! :2thumbs:

David