MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #9

With all of the stories that you've read online, stories of gay romance and relationships, you would think that homosexuals would be overjoyed to find something that they can relate to. I know that when I first started reading these stories, I finally felt like it was ok to feel the way that I felt. And that was a truly special moment for me.

However, you see movies and television and music videos and the like...where the everyday 'boy meets girl' scenario is displayed proudly. And a lot of times, we can find the same enjoyment. So, shouldn't it be logical that straight guys and girls could possibly find enjoyment out of what we write as well? The question for this week is...

-What do you think the 'crossover' appeal is of our stories to a straight audience?-

Do you think heterosexuals can truly enjoy and appreciate these stories the way we sometimes appreciate theirs? Why or why not? Is it not literature? There were gay themes in "Romeo and Juliette", and "Interview With The Vampire", and many other stories too. If the actual 'story' is more important than the sexual preference of the main character....does that mean that it's as universal a story as any other romantic tale ever written? Think about it.

The board is open!

I think that this answer can't be simplified to include all "heterosexuals". There are very different people in this world, homosexuals and hetersexuals included, and some are very open, while others are not.

I have shown comsies sight to a few straight friends *only two......the only 2 i am out 2 actually* and they both were able to find enjoyment in it. However, I think that their being female might have helped.

In todays society, atleast from what I have observed, boys are taught that guy on guy is dusgusting. Not just unappealing like I feel about getting with a girl, but truly disgusting, and thats partially where some of the hate is generated towards 'us'.

Seeing as most of us have to evolve into our sexuallity, and often times keep it a secret for years, we seem to live double lives. I think this gives us far greater insite on alot of issues. This one included.

Sorry if I got off on a tangent there, but I will sum it up now. I would venture to guess that while some heterosexuals, guys and girls alike, would find these stories appealing, that the way some were raised, to be disgusted at the mention of boy on boy action or loving interaction, would cause the majority to not find these stories as appealing, if at all.

I can't think of a single person male friend I know who would enjoy these stories whom is not gay. I can think of a few who would tolerate it, and not get disgusted by them, but they wouldn't ever pick one of these over a boy on girl story.

Just my 2cents, sorry If i got off of topic there a little.

-Taylor

I have tried to figure out for ages, why I like Gay Erotic Fiction. Hehehe I mainly tried to figure it out cause people kept asking me; you're a married woman what do you like about Gay stories???

I like romance between two men (or boys) better then between M/F why?? I dunno. I just do. Probably some deep psychological need or summat. My guess is I was a gay boy in an earlier life and memories of the s.e.x linger in my unconsious brain (not that the concious part is all that concious)

• Site Administrator

The primary audience of the 30,000+ Slash (that's gay) Harry Potter Fanfictions are female. The vast majority of my audience for that story, are in fact female.

Females seem to have the same interest in two boys going at it that most boys have about two girls...

As for straight guys? I don't think much do. I'll tell you this though: I have a large number of straight friends, all classmates and smart people... I don't think they every read much of anything for enjoyment.

Bi guys have contacted me and seemed to have shifted to more gay after seeing gay romance portrayed. (I've pointed them to different stories from other people to see what they thought).

• 2 weeks later...

This are reply to Comicality's post of March 8.

I know there are several straight people who enjoy reading the gay stories on Nifty. I haven't had any personal feedback as to what it is about the stories that they find appealing. Maybe it's the fact that teens they are reading about are sexually active or if it is the fact that they are reading about love blossoming.

What ever it is, we seem to have attracted yet another audience.

Take care, :)

Mike :sword:

I've gotten one email from a straight guy today who said he liked my story due to the plot and he wanted me to leave out any mention of love and sex scenes between male characters, and I was like :blink: . I still haven't replied to his email and the thing that confuses me the most is if he doesn't like male to male love, then why was he in nifty? :blink:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..