Review or Purge?

Jack Scribe

What exactly this preacher has done is unclear. Is it the water in Colorado?

New Life director admits misconduct

Rocky Mountain News

December 19, 2006

Sexual misconduct has driven a senior staff member at New Life Church out the door, six weeks after scandal enveloped his former boss, evangelical leader Ted Haggard.

Christopher Beard, director of a ministry for Christian leaders between ages 18 and 24, resigned Friday from the Colorado Springs mega-church after admitting to sexual misconduct with an adult, as well as other, unspecified mistakes, said associate pastor Rob Brendle. The matters came to light during a recent personnel review conducted by the church's board of overseers. It was prompted by the Haggard scandal.

"It became apparent that he had made a number of bad decisions over the years of leading the program that reflected poor judgment," Brendle said. "One of those incidents was sexual misconduct with an adult." He wouldn't comment on whether the conduct was with a male or female but said it did not involve Haggard.

In the wake of Haggard's downfall, the church's board of overseers launched a review of New Life staff members' past and present conduct, Brendle said. His own review took a couple of hours, he said. "They're trying to make sure I'm honorable and that I've been doing what the congregation and God expect me to do in my role, so the church knows with confidence that the staff is trustworthy."

There are about 200 staff members, from music ministers to accountants, who potentially may be called in for a review. The first to undergo the process are the 50 members of the pastoral staff who have direct responsibilities with the 14,000-member congregation.

Say "Hallelujah" and pass the plate.

Jack B)

This is a common reaction in churches rocked by scandal...actually it's a common reaction in any human organization (except maybe Congress).

By the way, Reaper, I think you mean 'accept' instead of 'except'. Everyone 'except' John went to the mall. John has learned to accept his sexuality.

(Not meant to razz you, but I see many younger people making this mistake in posts and in stories. These two words sound very similar but have wildly different meanings. )

What exactly this preacher has done is unclear. Is it the water in Colorado?

Hmmmmm -- Colorado water.........Good old Coors beer comes out of Clear Creek ( or so they say ) and into the cans. Very popular stuff. Makes a person wonder if Coors beer is turning the country GAY?

Could that really be the cause of homosexuality?? :o:D:rolleyes::angry:0:) :snork:

OK - that was fun!!!! Need to go attack my stash of Coors!! :worship::worship: :worship: :worship::great:

Edited by Eddy

Naw - don't feel stupid... If you like, I can send you some of Dan's unedited stories, before Emoe goes in and changes various items like the above to the "correct" word...

j/k on sending em to ya - but Dan does the same thing.... a lot..... a WHOLE lot...

But then again, he writes a ton

<br />Naw - don\'t feel stupid... If you like, I can send you some of Dan\'s unedited stories, before Emoe goes in and changes various items like the above to the "correct" word...<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />j/k on sending em to ya - but Dan does the same thing.... a lot..... a WHOLE lot...<br /><br /><br />But then again, he writes a ton<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

lol Trebs. Thanks for having my back?

Ian (place smiley i always use here)