MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #17

The only thing more exhilirating, more uplifting, about actually WRITING a story, is the incredible feedback and heartfelt recognition that you get back from your efforts! Theres nothing like it in the world. There's no paycheck big enough to match the feeling you get, knowing that you really inspired someone else to think differently, or maybe even LIVE differently. That's the best. But in order to do that, in order to get that response, you have to be seen! So the question for this week is...

=How does an author go about 'advertising' his story and getting people to read it online?=

You've got the story written and finihed....what now? Where do you post it? Do you set up a website? What if you don't get any feedback right away....what then? As readers, how did you come across some of the works that you've come to love and enjoy from time to time? They say that the greatest stories ever written went unseen because no one ever noticed them. Let us know how to avoid being invisible among the masses.

The board is open! :)

• Site Administrator

I read this before I went to work this morning and put some thought into it.

I'll be honest here. One of the main reasons I started writing Harry Potter fanfictions is because of the huge established fan base. I could practice my skills at writing while building a fanbase of my own. It worked more than I ever thought possible.

I'm now in the position where I'm writing a story that is more popular than I ever thought it could be, and in order to do justice to it, I have to give it my all every chapter. And people clock watching will notice that it has been a year since I've posted a chapter. Of course, real life has kept me busy, and I've been busy building this site. I still haven't gotten to the point where I feel it is safe to stop for a little while and let the site take care of itself. Now that the userbase here is getting more active, I might have more time to write again.

(I think I strayed :sheep: )

Now that I have a fanbase built, I know I can release a story (especially to Fan Fiction) that will have a lot people reading it. I'd imagine it's much the same as you Comsie, only you're on a larger scale.

Myr

Ironically, most of my time is spent editing these days as opposed to writing. I get alot of mail asking about exposure and how to get the word out there. So here is what I tell the new writers;

First of all, have someone you trust edit the work and finalize it for post.

Second, depending on context & contents, Nifty.org seems to be the starting benchmark for a new writer. Once you are posted there, read your e-mails and see how your readership is taking to the story, both good & bad.

Third, spend alittle time out on the web, stop in and visit and socialize with other writers and their boards. Here is a good example, I also recommend Deweywriter.com draketales.org the glassonion crvboy's ste, dabeagles place and It's only me from across the sea at IMOFATS.org Join in the fun, ask questions post shorts and poetry, and let the other board members take a gander at your work

Fourth, when you feel that you are ready, come "aboard" a ring site like this or similiar, & set up your own little corner and away you go.

Writers write for a variety of reasons; to entertain, to educate, to edify, to lend emotion, but mainly because it's a conversation they have with themselves that they share with the readers. There is always a purpose to a story, the fame and other perks that come with exposure & noterity are all well and good, but in the final analysis, its the spirit of connectivity in the human condition that a writer strives for. If you do not believe this is true my friends, pause and take a good look around you here at the shared love that built this place, "The Shack Out Back."

Okay I am along winded old fuss and fart, but hey Com-You already know this!

:P

Paul Bishop :worship:

MY first ever experience with 'advertising' a story was on Nifty. It was the only way that I thought anyone could read a story of this manner at the time. Back then, I didn't know of anyone with a website except for authors that were already established on Nifty. There were a few with the typical 'f**K and suck' storylines, but the kind of stories that I wanted to write were only on Nifty. If it weren't for them, I never would have been noticed at all.

After that, and setting up my own site, I found other websites that had similar material to what I wanted to do. If I read a story I really liked, I'd write and tell the author so. They'd sometimes write back (On occassion, they would be really flattered and say that they had read my stuff before! I always thought that was mindboggling!) and we'd trade links. Almost like the 'buddy system'. Whoever was reading their site could read mine and vice versa. Shortly after that we became a whole 'network' of sites, and that helped to get everybody heard. No matter where you went on Nifty, if you found one story and followed it back to the website, you were bound to find ONE of us. Hehehe! And the other authors were awesome friends. I miss talking to them sometimes.

The only other tip for advertising a story is to KEEP WRITING!!! Seriously. There are people who have been reading my stories from day one who (six years later) have NEVER written an email. You just have to believe that people are reading, and keep writing with your heart and soul until a few emails trickle in here and there. They're out there, just believe that.

The sites mentioned above (Thanks Paul! :) ) are also good ways to get noticed if you don't have a site of your own. Not to mention that they are surrounded by a family of really sweet people that you can grow to love and care about. They will give the most honest feedback you can imagine. It's encouraging most times.

Most importantly of all, you have to remember that you're not so much 'advertising', you're giving the public a chance to see your work. The story will advertise itself if you've truly put your heart into it. Exposure is just a game of chance.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..