-
Posts
6,512 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by sandrewn
-
beaming - Word of the Day - Tue Sep 10, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I would like to apologize, before I start! I just got up and feel like death warmed over. After staring at my screen for the longest time, I've got bupkis for you and agree with what the others have said here. The first thing that came to mind was: Beam Me Up: a Star Trek Supercut - YouTube Which of course triggered my second and final thought: Well.....? answer me! - 9GAG Back to bed, -
gratified - Word of the Day - Mon Sep 9, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Sorry, I don't feel that wander lust with our word of today, gratified. So I will simply, tow the line and tell you what other words you can use instead of it! What is another word for gratified? | Gratified Synonyms - WordHippo Thesaurus GRATIFIED Synonyms: 198 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus -
I think that we all agree what our word of the day, festive(adjective), means: FESTIVE Synonyms: 161 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus Now it would be nice, if we could get our two tomcats to play nice. Remember, there is a proven and effective way to take care of your not playing nice! I would rather refer to you both as tomcats and not a couple of gibs(ouch).
-
exhilarated - Word of the Day - Sat Sep 7, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Another good choice for word of the day. Multiple sites to choose from, pretty well all saying the same things with their own little twists. This one will refer you to some of the more mainstream/popular. exhilarated meaning: Feeling very excited and energetic - OneLook Not for the last time, I was sidetracked once more. Did I ever mention my love of the songs & music of John Denver? From "Moreton Bay" by John Denver: My fellow prisoners be exhilarated That all such monsters like death may find And when from bondage were liberated Our former suffering shall will fade from mind John Denver - Moreton Bay - YouTube (at 2:48 M, time reference) -
Wow, pretty quiet on this one, today. I don't think I have ever used, Urban Dictionary, before. Urban Dictionary: cheery At least one cheery thought, though, TGIF!!!
-
I did scan through all 253 entries for 'Blithe', but chose not to peruse the omitted results(253 was enough for me). An amazing number of these entries had a Noel Coward connection. A daring, avant garde actor for his times. We don't hear its' use very often these days. Then again there so many synonyms offered, that is no surprise! BLITHE Synonyms: 209 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus
-
I like our word of the day. I am just not feeling like it this morning, or very perky with my reply. buoyant - definition and meaning Tomorrow🤞,
-
delighted - Word of the Day - Tue Sep 3, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Most days, you could interchange/switch the site names and get the same old, same old stuff on the, Word of the Day. Today I found one that offered something more(hip hip hooray)! When to, when not to, what words to say with or not to. Just the sort of info I really find helpful. delighted – delightful 1. 'delighted' If you are delighted, you are very pleased and excited about something. He was delighted with his achievement. He was delighted to meet them again. You do not use words such as 'very' or 'extremely' in front of delighted. If you want to say that someone is extremely pleased and excited, you can say that they are absolutely delighted. They were absolutely delighted with François from the start. You do not use words such as 'fairly', 'quite', or 'almost' in front of delighted. 2. 'delightful' Do not confuse delighted with delightful. If you say that someone or something is delightful, you mean that they are very pleasant and attractive. Her children really are delightful. ...a delightful room. Delighted - definition of delighted by The Free Dictionary This same site has a, Thesaurus Adj. 1. delighted - greatly pleased pleased - experiencing or manifesting pleasure 2. delighted - filled with wonder and delight beguiled, enthralled, entranced, captivated, charmed enchanted - influenced as by charms or incantations Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc. delighted adjective pleased, happy, charmed, thrilled, enchanted, ecstatic, captivated, jubilant, joyous, elated, over the moon (informal), overjoyed, rapt, gladdened, cock-a-hoop, blissed out, in seventh heaven, sent He was delighted with the public response. Of course this last bit, sent me off once again(surprise), honest I don't make them up, but you have to admit some are eye catching/thought provoking? Take for example, cock-a-hoop! Cock-a-hoop - definition of cock-a-hoop by The Free Dictionary -
delighted - Word of the Day - Tue Sep 3, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Me also, sadly this morning was no exception. -
Very strange, I wonder if anyone else or everyone else is having the same problem? I need more responses to know what to do! More reactions needed, anyone, please give me some feed back. Thanks, sandrewn
- 852 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- deadly spiders
- nightmare spiders
- (and 4 more)
-
cheerful - Word of the Day - Mon Sep 2, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
One of the many reasons I love this site, is the freedom of choice it affords us. Example no. 2 CHEERFUL Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com I'm betting you have tried both versions and got the same results, yes? Now comes that freedom of choice I mentioned. Go back to that page and select British instead of American. Who is right and who is wrong, the answer as so often we have seen and been told is location, location, location. Don't you just love our colourful language? -
cheerful - Word of the Day - Mon Sep 2, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
One of the many reasons I love this site, is the freedom of choice it affords us. Example no.1 CHEERFUL Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com -
I am not really up to speed this morning, I did read quite a few of the references offered up on, 'content', our word of the day. Picked one, that seemed to cover it well, this is the site: CONTENT Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com I hope I am my perky self , tomorrow. Apologies for my poor showing this morning, sandrewn
-
Did you know? Jovial and Birth Dates In Roman astrology, planets were named after gods, and people were thought to share the personality traits of the god whose planet was rising when they were born. Jupiter, also called Jove, was the chief Roman god and was considered a majestic type who was the source of joy and happiness. The Latin adjective jovialis means "of or relating to Jove." In French, this had become jovial, which English borrowed and used to describe people and things full of cheer or joy. Jovial Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
-
overjoyed - Word of the Day - Fri Aug 30, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I was going to do a variation of what drpaladin did, then I came across a site that said: Find 1206 synonyms for overjoyed and other similar words that you can use instead based on 4 separate contexts from our thesaurus. What could I add, in comparison to the cornucopia of words being freely given on this site, so I didn't. What is another word for overjoyed? | Overjoyed Synonyms - WordHippo Thesaurus Humbled once again, -
gleeful - Word of the Day - Thu Aug 29, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
In the 17th century, the alternate adjective gleesome competed with gleeful — both come from an Old English root, gliu, which means "mirth, play, sport," and also "music" and "mockery." Yet another day of happy note. My last two cents worth(for today): GLEEFUL Synonyms: 161 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus -
radiant - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 28, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
The adjective radiant is useful for describing anything that glows with warmth or light. When you open your eyes on a sunny summer morning and see your curtains glowing with sunlight, you can call them radiant. Something that shines or glows is radiant, and you can also describe anything that's bright as radiant, like a smile or a powerful emotion ("a radiant sense of happiness"). In science, radiant means "transmitted by radiation," and it usually describes heat, like the radiant heat from an oven. The Latin root is radiantem, "shining," and sometime around 1500 it started being used to describe physical beauty, which Shakespeare did in "Twelfth Night": "Most radiant, exquisite, and unmatchable beauty..." Definitions of radiant adjective radiating or as if radiating light “a radiant sunrise” synonyms: beaming, beamy, effulgent, refulgent bright emitting or reflecting light readily or in large amounts Radiant - Definition, Meaning & Synonyms | Vocabulary.com I have nothing spectacular for you today. However, I was impressed by the following, not so little tidbit!! Radiant synonyms - 2 959 Words and Phrases for Radiant Have a nice day and enjoy this golden oldie, When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You) (With Intro) - YouTube -
mirthful - Word of the Day - Tue Aug 27, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I for one am happy that our site leader is happy. Did you know? It takes 12 muscles to smile and 113 muscles to frown? Smiling not only makes other people feel better about themselves but also raises your self-esteem, increases your level of positive attitude, and releases endorphins in your brain to make you happy. I do wonder if our two contributors (so for) today, practiced in private before presenting us with their tag team, smiles & chuckles act (drpaladin/paladin)? In case anyone else feels the need to add a comment, let me try to head you off with these two sites: MIRTHFUL Synonyms: 161 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus MIRTHFUL - 364 Synonyms and Antonyms - Cambridge English I am trying to look grim right now(it's not easy), sandrewn -
exultant - Word of the Day - Mon Aug 26, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I am late to the show, I don't want to pick at the bones of what has already been said. So off on a tangent(again), and to keep this update going. Exultant may refer to: Exultant (novel), a science-fiction novel USS Exultant (AM-441), an Aggressive-class minesweeper USS Exultant (AMc-79), an Accentor-class minesweeper Exultant - Wikipedia -
I for one, don't mind it at all!! Between all the on going conflicts in the world and the upcoming, nail biting US election?? I will enjoy this tear, while it lasts. In keeping with the reason for this blog, I offer you, two(2) viewing choices: - Sites where you can find as much or as little as you want on our word of today - ELATED elated meaning: Extremely happy and overjoyed emotionally - OneLook - A site where, if you really do not want to use the word - ELATED, it offers you, 555 possible synonyms instead. Talk about not having to repeat yourself, anytime soon! elated meaning: Extremely happy and overjoyed emotionally - OneLook
-
blissful - Word of the Day - Sat Aug 24, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Enough said on blissful. I blame you, drpaladin, for sending me off on yet another nostalgic trip down memory lane(thank you). Seeing those words, a light went on, from over sixty years ago. I can hear the voice(loud and clear), picture the faces and scenes, crystal/sharp as is if I watched them only yesterday. You made this a really happy and great day for me, thank you ever so much. You said, 'try to look up' and in my mind I heard, 'look way up and I'll call Rusty' . Friendly Giant Beginning and Ending - YouTube -
euphoric - Word of the Day - Fri Aug 23, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
We have gone through some extremes of late, which is a good thing, no? Is it not said that, variety is the spice of life. From a word that was thought dead and buried. One with a singular, meaning, to justify its' existence. One that came to life from the mind of a politician, shortly before I was born? Then we have the word of today, 'euphoric'. Most sites, list it with two(2) adjective meanings, however my choice was/is the one that lists: adjective (11) as in beatific as in blissful as in dithyrambic as in ecstatic as in elated as in exhilarated as in high as in intoxicated as in jubilant as in overjoyed as in rapturous adverb (1) as in on cloud nine 256 Synonyms & Antonyms for EUPHORIC | Thesaurus.com With all the possible synonyms available, euphoric would not be my first choice. (I will admit I had to look up, dithyrambic) -
xanthic - Word of the Day - Thu Aug 22, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
@drpaladin - sneaky, very sneaky, well done good sir! (you two would make a good tag team). @Myr - nice reaction time. -
xanthic - Word of the Day - Thu Aug 22, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Still haven't had my first coffee, in case you notice any no, no(s) on my part. So getting straight to the point, Xanthic adjective Having to do with a yellow color Being yellow, colored with yellow, or of a yellow hue (especially of flowers) taken from: Xanthic - Meaning, Examples - Xanthic in a sentence The above seems to cover it all, nicely. (note to @Myr , check your day date) -
gobbledygook - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 21, 2024
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Well played sir, well played. Literally, hoisted with my own petard(poetic justice). When I looked up Gobbledygook, I was redirected to Gibberish. Gibberish - Wikipedia 1st extract from: Gibberish, also known as jibber-jabber or gobbledygook, is speech that is (or appears to be) nonsense: ranging across speech sounds that are not actual words,[1] pseudowords, language games and specialized jargon that seems nonsensical to outsiders.[2] "Gibberish" is also used as an imprecation to denigrate or tar ideas or opinions the user disagrees with or finds irksome, a rough equivalent of "nonsense", "folderol", "balderdash", or "claptrap". The implication is that the criticized expression or proposition lacks substance or congruence, as opposed to being a differing view. The related word jibber-jabber refers to rapid talk that is difficult to understand.[3] 2nd extract from: The term gobbledygook was coined by Maury Maverick, a former congressman from Texas and former mayor of San Antonio.[19] When Maverick was chairman of the Smaller War Plants Corporation during World War II, he sent a memorandum that said: "Be short and use plain English. ... Stay off gobbledygook language."[20][21] Maverick defined gobbledygook as "talk or writing which is long, pompous, vague, involved, usually with Latinized words." The allusion was to a turkey, "always gobbledygobbling and strutting with ridiculous pomposity."[22][23] (The entire article makes for some interesting reading, if I do say so myself)
