-
Posts
265 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Northerner
-
Aww, the formidable Miss Yeoh as an archetype. That’s something I’d integrate in my psychological model of the world any day. Not necessarily thinking of her, but also not sone dainty Suzy Wong stereotype of old. I was picturing Zhang Ziyi as she played Kristin Spitz in Horsemen, but YMMV.
-
The struggle is real - Scrivener, Word, AI writing tools. Good thing I’m only frustrated by my iPad’s on screen keyboard and picking the right layout, plus autocorrect playing tricks. So, Sinclair is the schemer behind what’s going on. I wonder how some of the conservatives in North America are celebrating their 51st state successes these days? It’s not really going as ”planned”, eh? Covfefe sounds like a plan!
-
It’s so full of twisted metal, all action packed. I fully expect the gang to move out of the frying pan into the fire next. And – I can’t wait 😜
-
Under the spell of wolves
Northerner commented on Thomas Lindblad's story chapter in Under the spell of wolves
I got it right that Wolf was aware of Alarik. Of course it probably was Justin who clued him in on the last pieces, but still. No matter how circumspect you try to be, there are always telltale signs. Especially if you fall into routine. It’s a trick our conscious self plays on us, we are quite see-trough in our daily lives. It’s a very interesting tale of everyday musings, I’d like to see some happiness for Alarik too, but he seems to live very much in his own head and seems content with matters. Thank you for the chapter, this story certainly grows so I’m hungry for what’s next. -
Your threat vector and mechanism is sound! However, the transmission part needs to be done in a very sporadic manner to seemingly innocuous hosts, masking as normal traffic. Usually machines like these are bolted down as to never communicate with whole swathes of IP adress ranges, but for the purposes of this book you’ve done well. Lax fortune seekers would certainly be soft and permissible targets, especially where some good old social engineering comes into play. A key logger is low bandwidth, it could get you the odd password or two, but luckily we are moving away from those.
-
Yep. Which is why you don’t futz with running, immutable systems. There are some nasty threat vectors out there. Airgapped systems are a must. It beggars belief how lax some setups are
-
Oh sweet summer child. OPSEC that bad might have been the norm, but slowly the cybersecurity world is getting more aware. That said, it’s easy to imagine contractor’s laptops, hotel rooms etc where sensitive data on SSDs can be compromised. Sensitive data usually never leaves the fortified buildings where engineering takes place. Anything else is simply too lax in the defense world, but the world before 2022 was another, more naive one. The danger is far too real and slowly some very expensive lessons are learnt. Kudos to a realistic threat scenario, the world of fiction tends to treat IT systems like arcane magic. This is much appreciated!
-
The sex starved terrorist, with a heart of gold? Nothing so simple, but humans are sometimes complex and messy. Still - I like that nothing is one dimensional. It’s getting more complicated as the plot moves along, I’d like to see where this is going. Also, Enrico is employed by someone pulling the strings, he’s boots on the ground.
-
What a nice tapestry of deception! Andrew, Milo’s, Enrico, FSB and the as of yet unnamed Chinese dragon lady. Game on!
-
Such a nice amuse bouche on Bastille day! While everyone’s sat down and masticating I fervently hope that this is but the calm before the storm. They’re sitting on a powder keg; I just wonder who’s most irascible? Kudos to JJ for being such a snob as to not have any concept of what a Happy meal is. That takes real skill on a Marie Antoinette level. As ever, thank you for keeping us readers entertained.
- 31 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
-
The crass expression f*ck the world is now packaged as a hero quest. Shawn is in for a wild ride!
-
Ahh, according to most salty movie reviews you should avoid exposition dumps, but this is SciFi and world building is a must. Plus, kudos for making it fascinating and interesting. I like how Shawn is still fumbling around making mumblecore before he finds his voice enough to make music. I’m fascinated with this vision of a world that didn’t get held back did go compared to ours.
-
I think the high stakes game is tightly written. Given the state of the world today, I wonder what China is doing in shadows around all of this? The broth isn’t exactly clear as we have so many chefs competing. When the dust settles I’m sure it’s time for Will and the politicians to pounce. Their time will come.
-
Marc is aggressively plotting future expansion. Just make sure he doesn’t overreach. With that said, our dynamic duo seems to have gotten a younger version of themselves in the making. Life is good!
-
Justin is in way over his head and rushing headlong into the unknown. I hope Alarik will be there to pick up the pieces should it come to that. Also interesting is that Justin seems to be a bit of a cockhound when in the mood. I hope he’s thinking with the right head sometimes.
-
Andrew is the ever consummate professional and he handled the lead with aplomb. I wonder what shakes out at the other end? Andrew Carter playing his part in the big game, eh? Love it!
-
This is eerie and creepy. I wonder what lies is store aboard the ship and in waiting for our heroes?
-
Dinner and manipulation! Hilarious that Amber got to work on the boys in the band, really getting their numbers. Just like you do some mise en place - prep before cooking, we are now set for some bitchiness and fireworks. I can’t wait to see what Mr Arbour cooks up!
- 19 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
-
Excited to see where this goes! A small erratum in the beginning: the speant magazine. You should give your editors a flogging. With that out of the way, are the lodgings of critical personnel that easy target for a determined attacker? Terrorists are hard to stop. Now we just need to wait for a grand statement. Meanwhile, lets see what Andrew can do to help.
-
Things are looking up, expect some trouble ahead. Still, I like that H&M are becoming an item, even without violins. Some 5 sector Prosecco might help those crazy kids at the right moment though. Some hard SF moments ahead are teased, it whets my appetite.
-
Oooh, the plot thickens! I wonder what the full story is behind Wolf and his crew? Innocent or not. It’s all a will they or won’t they now. Guess we’ll know more next week.
-
This is a page turner from the start it looks like. Thank you!
- 10 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
-
The Carter saga continues. This is a very welcome surprise all these years later. A very warm welcome back!
-
Appearances are deceiving
Northerner commented on Thomas Lindblad's story chapter in Appearances are deceiving
It’s a vivid description of how you sometimes bump into old acquaintances, have a talk and realize they’ve turned into something unreasonable. Alarik has the worst luck so far, but he’s detached and seems content.\ Still, I’m also on team Alarik and Wolf. It’s not likely to happen, but life is strange. -
The old MD planes were quiet and nice in front of the engines, but those things were problematic if icing on the wings happened. Modern jets benefit from the much quieter high bypass engines for sure. I’m taking my first flight on a 737 Max in a few weeks. It’s been some time without major incidents, not counting the door plug saga so it should be OK. So, the world of aircraft is thrilling, sometimes for the wrong reasons. I’m rooting for the guys to stick the landing, Mav in the air and Randy in the Inn. They make a good team, I’m not complaining.
