Jump to content

Parker Owens

Signature Author
  • Posts

    19,079
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Parker Owens

  1. Both these took me into deeper waters than I was used to swimming in. Both played to a sense of unease and disquiet that I've been feeling in the last month - maybe it was the end of a story I'd been posting for a while. Maybe it was spring fever. I don't know. But I hope they speak to you, too. Many thanks for taking the time to read this and think about them. - Parker
  2. One. Is there some golden quantum universe where all my darkest choices are rehearsed? And learning now what lies in consequence may I now choose the path of lesser curse? The mathematics surely are intense but finding nearer worlds in consonance enables me to leap from where I stand and from a hangman's noose awaiting hence. I make that leap in physics to that land where I may yet have options at command; a cosmos where my fate's unwritten still and I may yet enjoy the life I planned. S
  3. Again, fascinating for what can be filled in, inferred and imagined...and the temperature got quite warm, until the last fragment turned chilly!
  4. How very happy your enjoying the story makes me. Kindness and generosity and love we the hallmarks of our humanity; Andy shows us this, and so did so many others he encountered in Blackburn and on the road. Thank you for reading A to Z, and for your encouraging thoughts.
  5. Parker Owens

    Chapter 1

    I am very glad you liked this story. Your encouraging words are very kind, and generous. The world is rarely kind to our brothers elsewhere, and even in the United States, it can be daunting to be gay in many places. And you are right, this tale tells a very complex reality.
  6. Parker Owens

    Chapter 1

    The tug of commonality in immigrant communities is very strong. It's often overlooked in well-meaning resettlement programs for refugees. For Daniel, that tug turned out to hide potentially terrible consequences. Deportation would have meant something close to certain degradation or death. Instead, he and Ibi were delivered to the kind hands of Emmett Blueye. Thanks for your er view, and I am glad you liked this.
  7. Parker Owens

    Chapter 1

    Thank you very much. Coming from such an experienced writer as yourself, I am humbled and flattered. Daniel and Ibi's tale has a happy ending, and I wish the same for so many of our brothers around the world.
  8. I shave many favorite books, too, and some of them need to be revisited. I am glad this story touched you, and I hope you will find a place you can call your own 'happy after' while the 'ever' has yet to run its course. I know the earlier chaps were hard to get through. It simply seemed to facile to gloss over it all; it was Andy's journal. Thank you so very much for your kind words; they are most encouraging.
  9. Thank you so very much for reading Andy's story and for your kind reactions. I am very happy you enjoyed the tale, and thought it worth the time to read. That you want more is music to any author's heart.
  10. I am so very glad you made your way through A to Z. It is hard to say farewell to Andy and Zander, but we can be happy (for now, at least) they are contented and very much in love. Thank you so much for reading Andy's journal and for sharing your thoughts.
  11. Thank you for reading Andy's story. That you took the time to read it and complete it despite the heavy going in the early chapters makes me very glad indeed.
  12. I am so very happy you liked A to Z. How good it was of you to write. I am also glad that the descriptions of place and people - fairly specific to a region in North America - translated well enough to Down Under. Craftingmom deserves enormous credit for her tireless job at editing. Without her, this story would never have seen the light of day.
  13. Dear Prateek - Your review made me stop and concentrate on drawing breath, it was that lovely. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write it, and so eloquently, too. If A to Z inspired you or helped you see something hidden, then perhaps the story accomplished its purpose. Andy and Zander certainly took over large portions of my own interior life as I wrote the story. They continue to haunt me now, and will for some time, I think. I am most grateful for your very generous and almost lyrical response to A to Z; still more am I thankful that you took the time to read Andy's journal. May the love his story releases in you fill you and the world you live in. I think he would smile at that. Again, many, many thanks.
  14. Thank you for your really kind response. I really appreciate your reading Andy's story!
  15. I blush to think A to Z qualifies to be in a select handful of stories. There are so very many talented writers here on GA alone. For the time being, Andy and Zander must rest as they are - happily contented and at peace. I know that means going through A to Z withdrawl, but I suspect you and I are on that journey together. Thank you so much for reading the story, and for your many perceptive and kind reviews.
  16. I am very glad you enjoyed the epilogue, despite hating what that meant. Reed was an intriguing idea I couldn't resist. You have been most kind in your reviews and generous with your thoughts. Let me thank you for taking the time to read and respond to Andy's journal week after week. I truly appreciate it.
  17. I, too am sad to see the story end, in a way. Andy and Zander will linger on in my head for a very long time, I think. There are so many great writers here on GA whose work is admirable and inspiring. I am glad you think A to Z is like that for you. Many thanks to you for reading!
  18. I am really happy you chose to read A to Z. I, too, am a sci-fi reader, but did not think myself able to write in that genre. Andy's story came to me last year, and it quickly took off. You are very kind and generous in your remarks - I am especially glad you thought the characters convincing and realistic. Thank you so much for your thoughts and support.
  19. I am sorry I sent you to the store for more tissues, but I am very glad you persevered through the story. The terrible early chapters slowly give way to growing warmth and sunlight in Andy's life, and we see him become the young man he was meant to be. Thank you for reading and finishing A to Z, and for the kindness of reviewing.
  20. I wasn't trying to tease (too much) about Reed. I would like to hope his life would be one in which he can learn about love and acceptance earlier than Andy did. I know Andy and Zander would be good to him, and good for him. I am glad you enjoyed the story, and the epilogue. Jag vill framföra mina hjärtliga tack.
  21. I wrote this story to try to illustrate exactly what you pointed out - that the world is mostly populated with wonderful, generous and kind people. That they are also often clueless, misguided or obtuse is also on show in A to Z. I really appreciate your having read A to Z, and I hope waiting for the real, unalloyed joy in Andy's life was worth the wait. Thanks again.
  22. I am very happy that you liked A to Z, especially after the first few very difficult chapters. Craftingmom deserves my undying thanks not only for her tireless efforts at editing, but also for her ongoing encouragement over months of correspondence. But for her urging, I might have been too bashful to post the story in the first place. I grinned at the idea of A to Z being required reading - can you imagine school authorities making every student get a GA account? Now there's a thought...
  23. I smiled at this. Fortunately, the story was almost entirely written before I began posting it. Replying to reviews was relatively easy in addition to doing minor edits (I missed typos three or four times running!). There are many elements that could lend themselves to more story telling related to Andy and Zander someday. But for today, they have earned a good rest. Thank you for reading A to Z, and for your many kind and thoughtful reflections.
  24. Andy's tale is most unusual, and unsurprisingly has many unexpected turns. I am glad it was not too predictable, and that you could relate to the characters. I, too, am sad to see the end. Andy and Zander have a permanent place in my psyche now. But after all they have been through, it's time for them to rest. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, and I thank you for your very kind review.
  25. I am glad that the plot lines weren't too transparent to you. Andy describing the cabin at the beginning of chapter 63 threw a number of readers; I apologize for that. You are very kind in your remarks - there are many other writers on GA who inspired me, to whom I look as examples, and whose work I greatly admire. I hope you have as much fun as I did discovering them. I haven't published anything anywhere else, or under another name. In truth, A to Z was the first thing I wrote. It was a compelling story, and consumed my time for quite a while. Thank you so much for reading Andy's journal and for leaving your generous review.
×
×
  • Create New...