Jump to content
Bot Attack ×

Ronyx

Classic Author
  • Posts

    1,898
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ronyx

  1. This song has been nominated for an Oscar. If you haven't seen the movie yet....Go! It has also been nominated for an Oscar. It's a beautiful love story.
  2. I stand in an empty cemetery looking down at a freshly dug grave. It is covered in two-day old flowers, many already dried and withered. Gone are the mourners dressed in black with tears streaming down their cheeks. They no longer stand weeping over a silver coffin with a floral arrangement and a red ribbon with the words, LOVING SON, spread atop it. Loving Son! Fucking Bullshit! They didn’t love him. I loved him. They hated him for loving me. They hated me for loving him. I rip the
  3. This story begins with Randy crying over TJ's grave. What happens to the beautiful boy, TJ, he meets the first day of school? You will have to read the story until its dramatic ending to find the answer. Did T.J. break his promise to Randy?
  4. Do not forget the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. posted on this page just because the day of recognition has ended. Dr. King began a great movement. Today all around us we see people trying to destroy that legacy. We must fight for our future, today's children, so that they may grow up in a world void of bigotry, injustice and hatred.
  5. Let us all hope that the dark clouds of racial prejudice will soon pass away, and that in some not too distant tomorrow the radiant stars of love and brotherhood will shine over our great nation with all their scintillating beauty. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
  6. Thank you @droughtquake I was not familiar with Bayard Rustin. I did some further reading and found this excellent article on Dr. King's views on gay rights: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/16/what-did-mlk-think-about-gay-people/ We must remember that in the 1950's and 60's gay rights were not spoken. King died a year before the Stonewall riots. If he were alive today, he would be a champion for gay causes. His wife, Coretta Scott King, was an strong supporter of gay rights: "I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry and discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right-thinking Americans everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination. "My husband, Martin Luther King Jr., once said, 'We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny... an inescapable network of mutuality,... I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be.' Therefore, I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people." -- From remarks delivered by the late Coretta Scott King, wife of civil rights icon Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., at the Task Force's Creating Change conference in Atlanta on November 9, 2000.
  7. Well said, BlindAmbition. In today's troubling times, we must believe in a new tomorrow.
  8. "The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people." Martin Luther King, Jr. Share your favorite Martin Luther King, Jr. quote. What is Martin Luther King Day? Martin Luther King Martin Luther King Day is a United States federal holiday. It is celebrated annually on the third Monday of January and is also known as King Day or MLK Day. In some states it is also commonly referred to as Civil Rights Day or Human Rights Day. In recent years it is increasingly seen to be a 'Day of Service' when Americans are encouraged to volunteer to help others less fortunate than themselves.Martin Luther King Day commemorates the birthday of American civil rights leader Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and celebrates his life, achievements and legacy.King was hugely influential in the American Civil Rights Movement (despite never holding public office) and was a major advocate of non-violent activism in the struggle for the end of racial discrimination under US law. He was assassinated in 1968.This federal holiday in King's honor was created in 1983, during the presidency of Ronald Reagan, and first observed in January 1986. It is sometimes also referred to as "Civil Rights Day" or "Human Rights Day".
  9. The ground was slightly damp when I sat down. ALLEN DAVID FOSTER I stared at the inscription on the tombstone. It was difficult to imagine that Allen had been dead for over five years. It seemed like only yesterday that we were taking slow walks around our neighborhood. “I don’t even know how to begin.” I looked up and watched the clouds drifting slowly above my head. “Something is happening, and I just don’t know what to do about it.” I picked at a bla
  10. “All right, Dr. Carpenter,” announced Dr. Singh as he walked into my hospital room with a smile. “I’ve signed the release papers, and you are free to go.” “Finally,” I sighed. “It’s not like you haven’t been wonderful here, but like Dorothy said in the Wizard of Oz, ‘There’s no place like home.’” Everyone laughed when I lifted my feet off the bed and clicked my heels three times. I looked around the room at all the people who had gathered to be with me. After over a week
  11. “Okay.” I took one last look at Nicky and brushed back his long hair. “Are you ready?” He looked up and nodded at me. Star straightened out his collar and patted him gently on the back. “Now remember,” she warned him. “Your dad had surgery, and he’s still in a lot of pain. So when you hug him, be careful.” He looked over at her and smiled as he attempted to hold back the tears that were ready to escape. I reached for the door handle to Joey’s hospital room and slowly open
  12. I walked for ten blocks in the dark until I came to the doors of Lee General Hospital. I took the elevator and went to the waiting room where I had spent the past two days. When I entered, the clock on the wall indicated it was after eleven. A few people were sitting around quietly chatting. They were keeping vigil in case the doctor appeared with news of Joey’s condition. They looked at me and nodded when I entered. I crossed the room and entered the hallway to the ICU. A couple of
  13. Ronyx

    Chapter 10

    Just for you @droughtquake The Allen Foster Memorial Bridge 'Where dreams come true.'
  14. I was awakened from sleep by someone lightly touching my shoulder. My eyes fluttered and then opened. Before us stood Star and my mother. Star managed to awaken Nicky and lift him to his feet. “Come on, Sleepy Head,” laughed Star. “You two have been knocked out for over three hours.” I lazily rubbed the sleep from my eyes. “Any news about Joey?” “A nurse came out and said that his condition was still stable,” she informed me. “So right now, I guess no news is
  15. We arrived early at the hospital. Again, the police took us to the side entrance away from the media. While Nicky had showered in the hotel room, I managed to turn on the television and watch cable news. The police were right. The shooting was the lead story. The first thing they showed was a video of Joey. Tears welled up in my eyes when I saw his smiling image on the screen. It had been taken at a board meeting earlier in the year when he presented several students with community s
  16. Codey was an extraordinary young man, so gifted and talented. I'm glad I had the opportunity to get to know him before he left us too soon. You can light a candle for him during the holidays here: Light a Candle for Codey
  17. I’m numb. I don’t know what else to say. I’ve been sitting in the surgery waiting room of the hospital for hours. I haven’t been able to stop crying since I arrived. I look down at the special edition of the local newspaper and read the front page article for about the thirtieth time. PRINCIPAL OF SOUTHWESTERN HIGH SCHOOL SHOT Dr. Joseph Carpent
  18. Ronyx

    Chapter 7

    That is the reason I don't promote my site. I realize that some readers may want to follow the story for the enjoyment. Reading ahead spoils all the fun. --Ron
  19. “Is this Joey Carpenter?” I sleepily looked over at the alarm clock on the nightstand. It was a little after four in the morning. Since Nicky had arrived home late from his trip with Xavier, I had only been asleep about three hours. “Yeah,” I muttered angrily. “This better be good. Do you have any idea what time it is?” “Listen, Joey,” the voice on the other end sounded apologetic, “This is Billy Joe Wagner. Do you remember me?” “Are you the fath
  20. “What is this all about?” Star was sitting across from me in the same coffee shop we visited in high school. She usually wanted to meet me here when something was seriously troubling her. By the look on her face, I knew that it was something more serious than getting some suggestions on how to handle Jeffrey’s latest escapade. She finally said, “Something’s wrong with Gene.” I immediately thought that he had been involved in an accident. “What happened?” I had never felt
  21. “What do you mean? Joey has a son?” I couldn’t believe what I had just heard Star announce. A son? The kid looked to be at least twelve or thirteen. Joey was with Allen at that time. Star reached down and gripped my hand. “He’s adopted, Gene,” she said. “Joey adopted him recently.” “Why?” I stammered. The thought of Joey having a son somehow upset me. I don’t know why. Selfishly, I guess I was hoping that he was lonely and miserable since Allen’s death. But it seems he h
  22. Jamal and the Three Challenges Jamal lay sleeping on the dirty straw bed in the hovel he shared with his mother, sister and two brothers. His lanky body was twisted as his little brother lay curled aside his body. He was restless from the dream that was disturbing his sleep. His eyes fluttered as he suddenly awoke. He listened carefully as he thought he heard an unusual rustling noise coming from outside. The bleating of the goats warned him that danger might be near. He cau
  23. A Christmas Story. Jamal, a young boy, discovers the miracle of Christmas by facing three challenges given to him on his journey to Bethlehem.
×
×
  • Create New...