Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 3,266 Words
  • 2,035 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Destiny - a novel - 15. Chapter 15: Faith

Chapter 15: Faith

 

The leafy-green smell of Jack's kale and scrambled eggs lingers uneaten on the air.

I sit on the couch with Jackson this early morning after Lincoln's arrest and consider that the boy looks as tired as I feel.

"Dawn," he inquires listlessly. "Are you going to discard?"

"Oh, yes. Sorry." I pull out a 10 of Clubs and set it down.

After a lackluster moment of study, he picks it up, slides it in about midway through his hand of cards, and sets a winning array on the sofa cushion in front of him. Now I know he's messed up inside, 'cause he's never won anything off of me without an 'in your face' display of bravado.

"Jackson, it's gonna be all right. They can't hold Linc forever."

He lowers his voice, leaning in closer and glancing to Jack in bed. His mom is standing there trying to coax him to eat 'for Linc's sake.' "I know, but his extradition hearing is this afternoon, and if the court hands him over to that Do-Wrong McCluster-fuck, he'll be on a plane back to Ohio tonight. I suspect that if they get him back to Cincinnati, it's all over for him."

A lump instantly forms and gets caught in my throat; that certainly is the worst case scenario.

"And you," I ask wryly. "Where did you disappear to so suddenly yesterday afternoon, Mr. Mysterious?"

He offers up a cunning head motion. "I had to get my P's and Q's straight for Lincoln's sake."

"And, you don’t want to share what those are?"

"No, Dawn. Sorry, because Linc asked me not to spill the beans."

I shrug.

He continues in a slightly more open tone. "All I can tell you is that I had to pop home to take care of some business."

Chuckling, I rap knuckles once on his kneecap. "That wording makes you sound like you're one of those boys who tossed a pair of sneakers onto Berkley's utility wires."

"A drug dealer..?" Jackson appears both thoroughly annoyed and flattered.

"It's possible," I say defensively.

He half chortles, slowly wagging his head from side to side. "Tisk, tisk, Dawn. You would think so low of me?"

Feeling 'guilty,' my hand returns to his leg, only this time to lightly stroke the denim there for comfort. "No, I don’t think ill of you, dweeb." In fact, I might as well start facing the facts of my evolving feelings for Jackson. "You were brave yesterday…and…magnificent telling those reporters to fuck off. You reminded them that they were trampling all over the one who was supposed to matter – Jack! What story existed for them to profit from without his suffering, and they were just like a self-feeding storm of locusts. All they do is make their own news to report."

"Strong opinions, Dawn, but I can't disagree." Jackson's smile comes back. "I was magnificent? Really?" His eyebrows flicker, in case I had just missed the import of his intended snarkiness.

"See, I knew you wouldn't let that one slide by, Mr. Sore Winner."

"Ha-ha! I guess my ego is a hungry, hungry hippo. Feed me, feed me, Dawn." He tries to tickle me.

"Oh, no." My hands go out and clamp onto his wrists. Suddenly his face grows blank, and his tone serious. "But, you are coming with me to the courthouse, aren't you? You can prop me up while I support Lincoln. We can both show our support!"

I turn his hands loose.

"I don’t know… Maybe Jack – "

Mrs. Shaw chimes in. "Yes, Dawn, do! Please be there for Jack and I, and give Lincoln all of our encouragement and love."

"Yes, Dawn, do," Jack cheerily adds.

I restore my attention to Jackson, feeling something like a blush overtake me. "Yes. I'll come with you – it's all settled."

"Good. I told my mom about it last night. My folks may or may not show up."

"…For their own son..? Not show up?"

Jackson blinks a moment like a tear is backing up. "Some of us don’t have the kind of help that you and Jack have with your parents. It's just the way it is."

As I am trying to process the emotional starkness of his situation at home, I hear a phone vibrating. My hand flies to touch the outside of my pocket.

When it rings again, Jackson pulls his out and looks at the screen. "It's my mom – speak of the devil – I better take this."

It rings a third time, and Jackson stands and briskly walks to the door. Just as he exits, I can hear him say into his cell: "Hello..?"

Rising up to stretch, I find myself looped in a replay of Jackson's expression while he sardonically said 'speak of the devil.' I begin to gather the playing cards, stack them, and open the box to slip them in. There was a mirthful glint in his sparkling purple-blue eyes that spoke simultaneously of perseverance and hope, but also of boundless sorrow. It was a beautiful look, one that seemed to effortlessly confirm the old adage that the eyes are the windows to the soul.

I put the boxed deck of cards on the end table near the base of the lamp, and drift over to Jack's bedside. Absentmindedly, I glance down at his discarded meal tray and see he's at least eaten half of his eggs, and I admire how much hard work it must have taken for Mrs. Shaw to even achieve that.

Looking at the boy, it seems he too hardly slept a wink last night. Still, I find my mind awash with thoughts of Jackson: of his smile, but also of his little movements of frowning self-doubt that I bet he thinks no one notices. Those are moments when he prefers to slip behind his camera lens and be 'invisible.'

"Are you all right, Dawn dear?"

Mrs. Shaw's words break me out of it. "I'm fine. I don’t think any of us slept very well last night."

Jack raises his hand to me, and I take it feeling suddenly guilty. Jack is the important one here – and now in addition to having to fight for his life, he's forced to worry about the one he loves so much fighting for his freedom. I'm guilty for allowing myself to think about Jackson's looks, about how I may be falling for him – but that can wait, I guess.

"Jack, this sucks so bad, but I have faith this mess will be cleared up."

He smiles up at me. "I have faith in my Lincoln."

Mrs. S. strokes his forehead, moving his white USA cap slightly out of the way; this action makes him regard her.

"It's horrible, sweetheart," she croons in a soft level of comfort. "That your boyfriend was taken from your side. Let's pray he won't be absent for long."

Jack does something unexpected; he laughs, and it’s a cascade of real happiness. "Linc proposed to me yesterday, and I said 'YES!' So, you will kindly refer to Lincoln Oliver as my fiancé from now on – both of you!" His laughter rotates on me like a giddy siren.

"Ok," I tell him, chuckling. "You're the future Mrs. Oliver – got it!"

Mrs. Shaw's reaction is far more complex and off-putting. She slowly withdraws her hand and stands erect – I half expect she'll fold arms against her son any minute. She draws out a suspicious: "Are you sure?"

Jack's face goes blank. "What do you mean, am I sure?"

"Jack, you are so young."

"What does age matter, Mom? You of all people should know that."

"What does he mean?" I ask, genuinely not knowing.

"Dawn," she sighs. "I did mention my courtship to you when we chatted that day in the motel room."

"Yes, but perhaps you omitted to reveal how old you two were at the time."

"Ok," she admits. "Jack's father was nineteen when he got down on one knee and held up this ring for me to take…" She lifts up and twists her diamond band with the thumb of the same hand it's on. "But, he was young, he was going to college, and although nothing was settled, he had a vision of where he wanted to go in life, and what he'd do."

Jack sounds sad. "Mom, please. Lincoln is uber-smart, just because his life is in a moment of change – both of ours are – don’t think that means he has no vision, no hope."

"Son, I didn't – "

"Because I have faith that Linc will re-start school and be great at whatever he chooses. Did you know he's been taking college-level courses the whole time he was down in L.A.?"

Mrs. S. indicates 'no' with a slow headshake. This info hits her hard; she seems suitably impressed. "Jack, you're so young – "

"Tell Dawn, Mom. Tell her how old you were when you got engaged."

Her eyes come up to hold mine. A smile, which is half-annoyed and half-wistful, plays on one side of her mouth. "I was seventeen, and Jack knows that. And Jack won't let me forget it either."

"So, I'm one year younger than you when – "

His mother laughs. "You just turned sixteen! You might as well still be fifteen."

"But I'm not, am I?"

Mrs. Shaw does not answer.

Instead, that returned wistfulness glazes her eyes as she tells me, "Dawn, Jack's father and I dated straight through high school, and after he went away to college and we were forced to be apart for the first time, he told me he realized he never wanted to be officially away from me again, so he got the ring, proposed, and I said 'yes.'" Her tone slips down to her boy with a bit of sternness. "But Jack, I had to go home, hide my ring and live with the sweet little secret of it for months. I waited until my eighteenth birthday to slip that ring on officially and let my folks know."

"Why?" Jack asks.

"Because, under eighteen, I needed my parents' permission to get married, and afterwards, they couldn't say no even it they had wanted to."

"They didn't want you to marry Dad at that age?"

She sighs and laughs at the same time. "They would say I was too young to get married, and now, all these years later, I know how they feel! You boys are too young, sweetheart."

"You know it’s not true, Mother. Your own happiness and lifelong commitment says it's not true. Young love can be real love too."

Her laughter nearly turns to tears. "Jack, dear – dearest son – I want you to be happy, but I also don’t want you to suffer." Her arms finally come up in a defensive fold over her chest.

Like a light bulb going off, the reality of the situation hits me. Why would Mrs. Shaw be so skeptical about 'young love' if she had such a happy story? – Because that happy story of hers ended abruptly when Jack's dad became ill and died so suddenly. Maybe Mrs. S. is simply trying to save her son from the pain of loss – or maybe she's concerned that an eighteen-year-old Lincoln won't be strong enough to handle Jack's loss.

His mom exhales in a long, deliberate display of partial surrender. Letting her arms fall, she tells her son plainly, "It will be difficult to get a marriage license: your age is a factor; that it's a same-sex union will be a factor; that you cannot apply for it in person is a factor."

Tears fall from Jack's eyes. "Some wise person once told me, everything worth fighting for is difficult."

She tries not to cry herself by chuckling. "Brat – turning my own words against me. Jack, you are so young. I don’t doubt your love for Linc, or his for you – I have no reason to disbelieve it – but marriage is a challenge. It means being able to take the other person's crap day after day and still love them. That kind of daily trial is harder and harder the younger and younger a couple is. I don’t want you to have to go through the hardship of divorce later on."

"Mom – you do have your doubts, so don’t try to fool either me or yourself. Lincoln and I will make it, and even if we don’t, would you rather have your son alive and divorced, or dead and unmarried? What I do, I do for Lincoln, because I love him. Can you see that?"

Mrs. Shaw does not answer.

I decide to try and cut the tension. I gently smack Jack's thigh with the back of my hand. "So, dweeb, where's this ring of yours? No one's official until that engagement jewelry is on the finger."

Major fail. Jack looks totally sad as he tells me, "Don't worry, he'll give me one, just as soon…as soon – "

I cut him off by swooping down to kiss his cheek. "Yes. I don’t doubt it, Jack. You'll get the world's most perfect sign of love just as soon as Lincoln is free to get it for you." My vision is so blurry, I quickly wipe my eyes to keep the tears from landing in Jack's face.

"It's all right, Dawn. I know you didn't – "

A soft knock on the wall near the door disturbs Jack's train of thought. I turn around expecting to see Jackson gallantly letting us know he's reentered the room.

Mrs. Shaw and I gasp as the same moment.

"Am I interrupting?" Christie asks humbly.

She comes forward to stand there, out in front of Jack's bed, looking miserable. She holds her coat in her hands, which are slung low in front of her, just below the beltline of her conservative suit. She appears sorry, I have to say.

"Christie," her mom asks. "When did you get in?"

"'Bout an hour ago. Your phone call, Mom – well, it…" She can't seem to make herself go on.

Mrs. Shaw strides up to her. One reassuring hand placed on the girl's shoulder seems to do it – it frees her.

"Oh, Mom. I feel so ashamed."

Mrs. S. takes her daughter's coat, glances at Jack, and tells her, "It's not me you need to be explaining yourself to."

Christie swallows audibly, and steps up to Jack's left side. "Jack – " she starts, her voice quavering, her eyes only skipping glances off of her brother like a stone across a pond.

"Why is it that you hate me so much?"

"Oh, Jack. I don’t." Her sight finally settles fully on his.

"Neither Hamish or I do, it's just that growing up, he and I, we had each other, above and beyond anyone else. We were children who were hurt when our mom started paying more attention to your illness than us."

She moves around the side of the bed to get closer to him and gently takes Jack's hand; her attention becomes split between her mother and brother. "That Christmas when I was eleven, Hamish and I were loaded down with gifts, but Jack in the hospital got all of your time that day. We were just scared little kids, Mom. And I'm sorry to say, we continued to act that way." Her eyes glaze over with tears as she resettles a committed focus on Jack. "I hope you can forgive me, brother, but the truth is that when I was a little girl, I begged God to make me sick too, so Mom would love me again." Her tears fall freely.

Jack grips her hand tightly. "But Mom never stopped loving you."

"I know that now."

"Then, don’t you see?" Jack tells her. "You are already forgiven, cuz I never stopped loving you either."

Mrs. Shaw extracts a hankie from the cuff of her sweater, and I wish I had a tissue.

Christie slowly bends down to hug Jack where he lies, careful not to tug or get tangled in his IV line. She chokes back the sobs about to erupt from her throat.

Mrs. Shaw lends me her tear rag.

After his sister pulls back and straightens up, he chuckles ironically. "Now, as for Lincoln's forgiveness, you might still have some work to do."

Christie is visibly touched, but does not laugh. "Jack, I've had a chance to look at myself through the mirror of this whole 'statutory…' thing, and I don’t like what I see. Hamish may have pushed me, but what I did, I did out of my own free will, and for that, I am truly sorry." She turns a hopeful gaze on her mom. "I will refuse to testify. They won't be able to put Lincoln on trial."

Mrs. S. reminds her soberly, "This thing has a life of its own now, especially with the media circus surrounding Jack. I'm afraid there's no way the prosecutor will let it drop. Especially not when he can build a celebrity, 'tough on crime' career with this on TV, so there's no way he'll let it drop, not when they have your grand jury testimony to use. No, I'm afraid it's out of your hands already."

Dr. Kimball calls "Hello, hello" from the door and rushes in with a manila medical chart anxiously clutched in his hand.

Jackson follows right behind him, still closing down the screen of his phone. The dweeb looks so out of the loop as he lowers his head and inches past Jack's oncologist. He comes to stand by me with his arm slipping casually – naturally – around my waist.

"I'm sorry," Dr. Kimball mumbles, as he divides his attention between Jack, Christie and Mrs. Shaw. "Is this is a bad time..?"

Mrs. Shaw laughs with what sounds like a triumphant ring to it. "No, Dr. Kimball! This is a great time. This is the best of times!"

"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"

Jack tells him with chuckle-edged tones, "No, doctor. The more the merrier." He swings Christie's hand. "There's always room for love. Right?"

The oncologist appears a tad confused for a moment, but then seems to remember why he's here. He waves the chart around. "Speaking of love, I have the final test results back. There's one solid match."

The room is awash in stunned jubilance.

"Is it me?" Mrs. Shaw asks.

"Or me?" Christie adds.

Dr. Kimball stills himself and reddens. Perhaps he's just realized that what news he has to deliver may not be as good as this roomful of people is hoping. He finally stammers in a soft voice: "No, it's Hamish."

Christie steels herself with newfound determination. "Let me do it, Mom. It's the least I can do for Jack and Lincoln. I'll go to Virginia today and make him see the light. He'll come back with me."

Jack asks, "Are you sure you can do it?"

Christie pauses for a moment with a flash of false optimism washing over her face. She lets the fakeness drop, and tells her brother honestly, "No, Jack. I can't be sure, but I won't stop begging him until he comes around. Please trust me on that one; I won't give up on him, or you. You've shown me my whole life how to be brave by example, so it's time I begin following my heart and not my stupid pain."

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a great chapter, AC!
Everything Mrs. Shaw does is in protection mode for her sick cub, including not being sure about a marriage. Insightful, this chapter.
I hope Christie can do it. Maybe this will be the turning point for Hamish. :unsure:
And still no hint of Lincoln's plan. That's a multi-chapter cliffhanger! Is that even legal? :angry::pissed: haha!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yet another testament to your story-telling artistry.
I'm going to keep it short, because I promised to lay off Mrs. S, so that cuts down on wht I can say.
Hooray for Dawn and Jackson being so supportive of Jack and Linc's marriage proposal. They are an example of how friends ought to be.
Christie coming back was a surprise; she may think her being ignored as a child is justification for what she and Hamish have done to Linc, but it doesn't wash with me. I freely admit that Jack is a better human being than I am because he forgave her already. Such feelings might allow me to forgive her for not liking Linc, or even hating him, but what she and Hamish have done is far beyond the pale to me.
I wonder if Hamish will help out? I'm of two minds here: he won't, in which case pressure might have to be applied in the form of letting the media know he won't help, or he may discover a shred of feeling for his brother...which seems unlikely. I'd rather take marrow from a stranger than a relative like Hamish. But that's just me being cynical.
Hooray for Jack and Linc--I wish everyone could have shared in the joy of the news.
More please.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

This chapter confirmed some of my suspicions about why Hamish and Christie were so nasty to Jack. I always felt that their problems came from feeling neglected, and while you'd think their adult minds would make them reconsider and deal with their emotions, it's not so easy. I know from close up how deeply rooted feeling of betrayal and abandonment as s child can poison your relationship with parents and siblings, and even though therapy and admission of 'guilt' from the parents will help, it can take a long time to get over. And in this case the focus on Jack to the exclusion of all else is still ongoing.
But at least Christie has taken the first step. And I think that if Hamish can save his Brother, it might make him feel 'superior' and 'good' which could help a lot with his attitude. Frankly I don't care who donates the tissue, as long as Jack survives.
Mrs Shaw has me shaking my head about the Young Love disbelief, but it's interesting that she immediately talks about the practical obstacles to getting married. I'd expect her to assume an ongoing engagement which would only develop into actual marriage plans when Jack is well.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/23/2015 12:43 PM, skinnydragon said:

What a great chapter, AC!

Everything Mrs. Shaw does is in protection mode for her sick cub, including not being sure about a marriage. Insightful, this chapter.

I hope Christie can do it. Maybe this will be the turning point for Hamish. :unsure:

And still no hint of Lincoln's plan. That's a multi-chapter cliffhanger! Is that even legal? :angry::pissed: haha!

Thanks, SkinnyD! This review brought a big ole smile to my face. Your comments about Jack's mom are heartening to me, and as for the 'illicit' stringing of tension, lol, welcome to the finale of Destiny. We are officially underway. Strap in, buckle up, twists and roller-dips are assured as we move into the final four chapters. Yes! Only five to go now.

 

Thank you again for an awesome review.

Link to comment
On 09/23/2015 11:29 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Yet another testament to your story-telling artistry.

I'm going to keep it short, because I promised to lay off Mrs. S, so that cuts down on wht I can say.

Hooray for Dawn and Jackson being so supportive of Jack and Linc's marriage proposal. They are an example of how friends ought to be.

Christie coming back was a surprise; she may think her being ignored as a child is justification for what she and Hamish have done to Linc, but it doesn't wash with me. I freely admit that Jack is a better human being than I am because he forgave her already. Such feelings might allow me to forgive her for not liking Linc, or even hating him, but what she and Hamish have done is far beyond the pale to me.

I wonder if Hamish will help out? I'm of two minds here: he won't, in which case pressure might have to be applied in the form of letting the media know he won't help, or he may discover a shred of feeling for his brother...which seems unlikely. I'd rather take marrow from a stranger than a relative like Hamish. But that's just me being cynical.

Hooray for Jack and Linc--I wish everyone could have shared in the joy of the news.

More please.

Thanks once again, my friend, for an awesome review. Perhaps the middle-ground word to use about Mrs. Shaw's feelings is 'conflicted.' I think Jack was right to call out her hypocrisy about marring young, when she herself had a happy married life and got hitched young.

 

As for Christie, Jack is probably at a state in his life where he knows holding onto anything counterproductive will only be a drag on his spirits. That, and perhaps he has faith.

 

And yes, congratulations to Jack and Linc on their engagement! It's not too much I think to criticize Mrs. S. for not offering that to her boy. Bad on her…

Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 01:27 AM, Timothy M. said:

This chapter confirmed some of my suspicions about why Hamish and Christie were so nasty to Jack. I always felt that their problems came from feeling neglected, and while you'd think their adult minds would make them reconsider and deal with their emotions, it's not so easy. I know from close up how deeply rooted feeling of betrayal and abandonment as s child can poison your relationship with parents and siblings, and even though therapy and admission of 'guilt' from the parents will help, it can take a long time to get over. And in this case the focus on Jack to the exclusion of all else is still ongoing.

But at least Christie has taken the first step. And I think that if Hamish can save his Brother, it might make him feel 'superior' and 'good' which could help a lot with his attitude. Frankly I don't care who donates the tissue, as long as Jack survives.

Mrs Shaw has me shaking my head about the Young Love disbelief, but it's interesting that she immediately talks about the practical obstacles to getting married. I'd expect her to assume an ongoing engagement which would only develop into actual marriage plans when Jack is well.

Thanks, Tim, once again. I think that practicality you mention is the same reason Mrs. Shaw's thoughts immediately turns to the checklist of things to get done before Jack and Linc can get married. She knows her boy will not want to wait, especially not after the heavy guilt-trip he laid on her with the 'divorced and alive, or dead and single.'

 

Your insight into the emotional lives of Hamish and Christie is insightful, as always. I think you frame it perfectly too, that a first-step is a first-step, and that much work must follow.

 

Thanks you for a wonderful review.

Link to comment

The central line (for me) in this chapter is Jack's remark "What I do, I do for Lincoln, because I love him." Questions as their being too young to marry, practical difficulties to get there, the fact that there isn't an official ring yet (and maybe even the unspoken objection that maybe a gay marriage is supposed to have less chance of succeesing than a straight one) all shrink in relation to that statement. It's the love for Lincoln that makes that Jack is where he is now. He wouldn't be there anymore without Linc.

 

I'm much in agreement with what CG states in his review about Hamish and Christie. Jack is a bigger man than me as well. His heart is big enough to never having stopped loving his sister, so the issue of forgiveness doesn't even prevail in his mind. I can only deeply respect Jack for that.

 

At this point in the reviewing I would like to quote from the "Prologue":
"The following story unfolds through the eyes and opinions of three teenagers. I make no judgments on anyone, nor on the families of anyone, faced with the tough circumstances described in Destiny. I humbly ask that you reserve all assessments until the end."
I for one have disregarded your admonishment. But I blame you for that. You have given the characters such form and substance, that it's hard to reserve an opinion till the end. ;)

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It wasn't hard to believe that Christie would be the first to come around. With Hamish being the donor, and Christie off to speak with him, I hope he will see how exaggerated their behavior became, and this is a way for him to be the brother he always should have been.
My sister came along when I was 8. There was my bother between us, but she broke my only girl in the immediate family reign. It wasn't true, but I had myself convinced for a very long time that I no longer mattered, so I get where Christie is coming from. I don't think it's justification for acting out like CG says, it just is. What there can't be an excuse for, is outing Jack and Linc to the world. I still think that Mrs. S shares some blame in it getting to that level.

 

That Jack is willing to so quickly move beyond this, is who Jack is. All he wanted was to know why his siblings acted like they hated him. Now he knows. I think it would take Linc longer to forgive, but he would get there for Jack. Also, loved how Jack threw it back to Mrs. S about her getting married young. That boy is sharp, but still a mother is going to worry and try to be a voice of reason.

 

Now we wait in faith (hehe) for what comes next.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well, I refuse to believe that Hamish would let Jack die instead of being a donor. He might have missed his mother's attention and love growing up, but letting his brother suffer like that is unthinkable.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

AC, Mrs. Shaw reminds me of my own mum. A beautiful creature til you attack her young. Love shines through her every word and action. She sees the love between Linc and Jack, yet still must protect him, not from it, but from what could be. Must break her heart.
Hamish.. I don't know but I hope he'll do the right thing. It's the only choice in my book. I'd do it for my brother and he for me.
Christie.. Well she's a female. And so has some of those femaley (forgive me this one) feelings for the lost and hurt. And I think I've seen her be a bit more forgiving before.
Another beautiful chapter dude...
tim

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 04:06 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

The central line (for me) in this chapter is Jack's remark "What I do, I do for Lincoln, because I love him." Questions as their being too young to marry, practical difficulties to get there, the fact that there isn't an official ring yet (and maybe even the unspoken objection that maybe a gay marriage is supposed to have less chance of succeesing than a straight one) all shrink in relation to that statement. It's the love for Lincoln that makes that Jack is where he is now. He wouldn't be there anymore without Linc.

 

I'm much in agreement with what CG states in his review about Hamish and Christie. Jack is a bigger man than me as well. His heart is big enough to never having stopped loving his sister, so the issue of forgiveness doesn't even prevail in his mind. I can only deeply respect Jack for that.

 

At this point in the reviewing I would like to quote from the "Prologue":

"The following story unfolds through the eyes and opinions of three teenagers. I make no judgments on anyone, nor on the families of anyone, faced with the tough circumstances described in Destiny. I humbly ask that you reserve all assessments until the end."

I for one have disregarded your admonishment. But I blame you for that. You have given the characters such form and substance, that it's hard to reserve an opinion till the end. ;)

Thanks, Peter. This is a very impressive and beautiful review, and you slyly put me on the spot ;)

 

With the prologue, I suppose I was asking for reserve on 'final' pronouncements until the end. Thankfully, feedback has been flowing to me all along, because I need and thrive on that as well.

 

I love the first part of your review. Yes, Jack is here – per the choice he made in chapter 19 of Dignity – because he believes Lincoln would be in greater pain if he weren’t. He has faith, hope and love because of it, and that extends to his siblings as well.

 

Thank you again for a fantastic review, my friend.

Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 04:44 AM, Defiance19 said:

It wasn't hard to believe that Christie would be the first to come around. With Hamish being the donor, and Christie off to speak with him, I hope he will see how exaggerated their behavior became, and this is a way for him to be the brother he always should have been.

My sister came along when I was 8. There was my bother between us, but she broke my only girl in the immediate family reign. It wasn't true, but I had myself convinced for a very long time that I no longer mattered, so I get where Christie is coming from. I don't think it's justification for acting out like CG says, it just is. What there can't be an excuse for, is outing Jack and Linc to the world. I still think that Mrs. S shares some blame in it getting to that level.

 

That Jack is willing to so quickly move beyond this, is who Jack is. All he wanted was to know why his siblings acted like they hated him. Now he knows. I think it would take Linc longer to forgive, but he would get there for Jack. Also, loved how Jack threw it back to Mrs. S about her getting married young. That boy is sharp, but still a mother is going to worry and try to be a voice of reason.

 

Now we wait in faith (hehe) for what comes next.

Thank you, Defiance19! It's always nice to get personal validation that my work has headed in the right direction. Jack's siblings were a 'tough nut to crack,' and quite frankly I'm glad that Christie laid the truth of her feelings so bare in this chapter. It seems hard to continue to punish her, if she is truly repentive, and once we know the root of her pain.

 

The stage is set for the trials ahead – both Lincoln's hearing, and the struggle to convert Hamish.

 

Thanks for another great review!

Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 05:26 AM, Puppilull said:

Well, I refuse to believe that Hamish would let Jack die instead of being a donor. He might have missed his mother's attention and love growing up, but letting his brother suffer like that is unthinkable.

Thanks, Puppilull. We will have to see if Christie can talk some compassion into him. It might not be an easy thing to do.

 

Thanks for another great review!

Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 06:02 AM, Mikiesboy said:

AC, Mrs. Shaw reminds me of my own mum. A beautiful creature til you attack her young. Love shines through her every word and action. She sees the love between Linc and Jack, yet still must protect him, not from it, but from what could be. Must break her heart.

Hamish.. I don't know but I hope he'll do the right thing. It's the only choice in my book. I'd do it for my brother and he for me.

Christie.. Well she's a female. And so has some of those femaley (forgive me this one) feelings for the lost and hurt. And I think I've seen her be a bit more forgiving before.

Another beautiful chapter dude...

tim

Well, Tim, I so appreciate your view on Jack's mom. I feel she's trying to do the best she can and fight the immediate battles, knowing there will be time to try and fix other broken aspects of her family life later on. Jack's life perhaps has become her main objective for too long, but who really can blame a mother for wanting her child to live?

 

We'll see if Christie can convince Hamish to swallow his male pride and see the harmful result of their actions. Time will tell.

 

Thank you for a great review.

Link to comment

Always late to the party, I am. :(

 

I feel the same as CG; I couldn't forgive Christie just like that. The damage that she and Hamish have done to Jack and to Lincoln is unforgivable. I can certainly understand being a young sibling, losing your father, and having your younger brother sick in the hospital, is a very scary thing. Even scarier is feeling that your mother doesn't love you anymore because spends all her time attending to your sick brother.

 

As an adult, you should be mature enough to realize your misplaced anger and resentment towards your sick sibling, is only hurting the family, and is nothing your sick sibling has control over. Jack certainly didn't ask to get sick. Continuing to show that much hate and anger towards a young boy who has no control over being sick, is just unforgivable. Grow the f up already!

 

Jack is the most mature person in the room. I give him so much credit; I doubt I'd be able to forgive Christie, despite her coming there and apologizing, and Hamish, forget about it! He can rot in hell for all I care. :devil:

 

I'll tell you, AC, if Hamish doesn't come back with Christie to donate his tissue, I will do this to him: :fight:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/11/2015 02:24 PM, Lisa said:

Always late to the party, I am. :(

 

I feel the same as CG; I couldn't forgive Christie just like that. The damage that she and Hamish have done to Jack and to Lincoln is unforgivable. I can certainly understand being a young sibling, losing your father, and having your younger brother sick in the hospital, is a very scary thing. Even scarier is feeling that your mother doesn't love you anymore because spends all her time attending to your sick brother.

 

As an adult, you should be mature enough to realize your misplaced anger and resentment towards your sick sibling, is only hurting the family, and is nothing your sick sibling has control over. Jack certainly didn't ask to get sick. Continuing to show that much hate and anger towards a young boy who has no control over being sick, is just unforgivable. Grow the f up already!

 

Jack is the most mature person in the room. I give him so much credit; I doubt I'd be able to forgive Christie, despite her coming there and apologizing, and Hamish, forget about it! He can rot in hell for all I care. :devil:

 

I'll tell you, AC, if Hamish doesn't come back with Christie to donate his tissue, I will do this to him: :fight:

Never too late, Lisa. Your feelings about C&H will come to bear in a review of yours later on, so I'll let it go till then.

 

Thanks for reading and being co-editor on this project. But still, I hope you can room in your heart to let forgiveness in for the wrongdoers in this tale. We all need to move on, like Jack has.

 

Cheers to you, and for a great review!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..