Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 3,983 Words
  • 2,222 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Destiny - a novel - 16. Chapter 16: Humiliation

**this chapter contains a brief depiction of sexual violence**

Chapter 16: Humiliation

 

I did not sleep well last night. This whole place apparently exists to rob one of his peace of mind, to torment the good and decent, and educate 'the bad' on how to be truly wicked. Only the hopeless ones feel at home in jail, only the keepers delight in the spectacle of humanity caged like animals.

I pace my cell, or rather the same eight feet of narrow space over and over again. My hands are hugging my upper arms and rubbing the fabric of the same clothes I was arrested in. My sneakers are loose where the tongues lightly rub over the top of my sockless feet.

The smell is like my old high school gym: bleach and human anxiety excreted in the form of sweat and the male pheromones of fear and aggression. No TV show I've ever seen talks about the smell of a place like this, for how do you describe the depths of confinement distilled into the rank tincture of pure derogation of spirit? You don’t.

I stop. Someone maybe five or six cells down lets out a gut-grounded shout;"Fuck!" is all he says, but it's loud enough to elicit an angry chorus of "Shut the fuck up." The entire night had been punctuated by outbursts like that, and kept me on edge as I tried to curl up in my single blanket and ignore it. But it didn't stop. The catcalling and shouts echoed throughout the Santa Clara Jail all night.

I start pacing again, for the simple act of moving seems to keep my mind from spinning out of control. My confinement is lonely, and designed to be that way. That thought reminds me of the rough handling of intake.

They bagged up my wallet, my motel room key, and my phone. But they also made me take off Jack's brass ring and chord, my socks, shoelaces and belt, which they all shoved in the same 'evidence' baggie.

I was then led away.

In another sterile space the size of a single-person public restroom, a middle-aged white guy with a paunch hanging over his gun belt pushed me to the back wall. As he undid the cuffs locked behind me at about my waistline, I could tell only three things about him: that he had cold fingers, a stone-cold stare, and rancid breath.

As I attempted to rub the soreness from my wrists, the mean dude went to the center of the room and stood in an aggressive attitude with hands on his hips. His glare was aimed straight at me. He talked in a way that was much too loud for the quiet confines of a small room made of hard surfaces, so the bellowing ring of his shouts rang relentlessly in my ears. It was like he wanted his words themselves to be painful; he wanted – no, expected – his tone to make me flinch. I swallowed down my fear of him, and armed with knowing his strategy, I listened with calm dispassion.

He droned on, making me verbally acknowledge that this processing was standard procedure, that I was being detained until my hearing, that I was not under arrest, and that there would be no bail. He said I could be held up to 24 hours without seeing a lawyer, and would be until a judge handed me over to McClusky. At that point, the clock would reset, and that sheriff would have another 24 hours to hold me in limbo until he could book me into his Ohio jail.

"Do you understand!"

"Yes."

"Then, turn around and strip."

So, with the legal lesson ended. He went to a metal box mounted near the door at eyelevel and pulled a latex glove out of it.

I could hear it as he snapped it over his hand.

I had no choice, this was all to make me feel like I was at the total mercy of The Law anyway, and if you can't appeal to that, then you are left feeling vulnerable and hopeless. Others have been through much worse, so I stripped and followed his instructions to face the cinderblocks with hands spread high over my head on the frigid wall. He roughly kicked the insides of bare ankles with his cop boots and made me stand with legs wide enough to be uncomfortable.

While he came up and was fondling my backside, the foul-breathed, cold-handed man leaned close to chirp directly into my ear: "They've got an isolation cell all lined up for you, pervert." He latched onto my waist, hard, and began to shuffle-foot me back. Eventually my hands were still on the wall, but my head was hanging low. As I stared with increasing fright at the vinyl tile floor, he went on, "Yours is a triple-threat, 'special treatment' case too. Not only are you gonna be charged as being a sex-offender against a child… Bend over; spread your ass cheeks… That's it, nice and wide… You are a notorious 'celebrity,' and…" His finger entered me with brutal force. "You are fucking queer as Christmas." He jammed it up as far as his palm, and jerked me up hard once, twice, then a third time with a rank-smelling grunt until I yelled out. He held it still, rested the entire length of his arm on my naked back and leaned his body on mine. He brought his voice as close to my ear as he could again, putting nearly unbearable pressure on my sphincter. "And believe me, you do not want to be surrounded by any of the other prisoners who have somehow learned of your faggoty ways. Do you? Hmm?"

"No."

"No, what?"

"No, sir."

He pulled out just as abruptly as he had violated me.

"Get dressed," he barked, with the room and my ears again ringing from the bellow of his vocal blast. That time, I probably did flinch, for his laugh was accompanied by the sound of him ripping off his glove.

Now alone, I pace my cell trying to exorcize that memory and keep focused on the fact that what I do, I do for a higher purpose.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

A 250-pound African American woman is compelling me down a corridor. My hands are cuffed behind me and the chattering jangle of her spare set of cuffs and keys comes up to me from her uniformed waistline.

I glance through the small windows built into the doors along this corridor, catching my first sight of sunlight since before my 'processing.' Each metal door is provided with a large, red background plastic sign below the wire glass. Family Visiting Room 1, Family Visiting Room 2, and so on they say.

As we approach Family Visiting Room 5, the guard slows me down by creating drag on my manacled wrists. By the time I'm at the doorframe, I've been halted completely and can pause to look through the door window.

There is a long folding table, and the back of several people's heads. The guard begins to undo the restraints and recites a long list of 'don'ts.'

"Don’t hug or kiss; don’t use a cell phone…"

I can tell one of the heads belongs to my brother. An auburn one next to him must be Dawn.

"Don’t eat or drink anything; don’t ask for gum…"

The other two heads are not as youthful, and my heart sinks to recognize who they must be.

The guard opens the door for me with a final warning. "Remember, you'll be strip-searched again if I see you violate any of the no-contact rules I just laid out for you. No contraband of any kind is allowed to leave this room with you. Understand?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She walks us into the room; she begins unlocking my handcuffs.

Every eye turns to us, and the guard informs the visitors, "Folks, I'll be right outside this door if you need me. You have 20 minutes."

She leaves with an evil-eye of 'watching you' for me, and closes the door behind her. Everybody stands to greet me, except Pops. He just sits there, arms folded over his chest, and with a grimace on his lips.

Jackson, with warmth plastered all over his face, steps forward and starts a handshake, but it's one that quickly pulls me into a hug.

There is a sharp rap at the door window from the corridor side. I persuade my brother step back with raised hands shown to the guard, before letting him know: "We're not allowed to touch."

I go to sit behind the table, forced to place my back to the window and light of day from outside. I survey the four in front of me, trying to gauge the emotions I see there.

Dawn asks if I'm all right. "You look really tired and stressed."

"I'm ok. So, the hearing is at eleven?"

"Yes," Jackson says.

My mom asks a battery of small-talk questions, and oddly, her usual flinty edge seems dulled by some unknown emotion.

"Food decent?"

"I haven’t had any appetite."

"Are you warm enough at night?"

"My holding cell is like eighty-five degrees, so it was hard to sleep."

Does she let slip out – "I'm worried about you" ???

I turn to Pops. "How was traffic; which bridge did you take?"

"Not bad. The Dumbarton."

"How's Berkeley High School's football season so far?"

"The season's finished. They did 16 and O, but lost in the first playoff game to Northridge."

'Oh yeah,' I think to myself. 'I forgot football would be over by mid February. It's been the last thing – '

My mom blurts out, "We've missed you. Your room at home is just as you – "

Pops interrupts her. "Don’t upset yourself, Maggie. He's not worth it."

My dad's tone almost makes me want to cry right here and now. However, my faltering glance at Pop's recriminating stare instantly toughens me up. I ask him pointblank, "Will you be staying for the hearing?"

My mom starts to answer "Yes – " but Dad instantly cuts her off. "We haven't decided yet."

"I'm sorry to hear that…" is all I can manage to get out in response.

My mom does not like to be told what she thinks and feels; a flash of resentment steals across her posture as she scowls at him.

Pops ignores her to reach halfway over the table and folds his hands between himself and me. He eyes are cold and unwavering as he tells me, "Well, I'm sorry you're my son."

My fists tighten involuntarily under the table, while a searing column of anger rises through the center of me. However…in another moment, I think of Jack's smile. I relax my hands, and just let it all go. If he can face what he's facing without whining, or without the tears of self-pity, what would I be to simply buckle under the weight of some hateful words and sentiments? The way my father feels is what it is, and there's nothing I can do about it.

My old man continues, "It just sickens my stomach to think the Oliver family name will be besmirched like this. Your trial will be a media feeding frenzy; there'll be no escape for us. My first-born child…you are a disappointment to me."

I inhale a big amount of air, gently lay my palms flat on the table and push myself to a standing position. "Well, Mom," I tell her. "I hope you can convince him to stay."

I begin to walk towards the door. My dad pushes his chair back, and it makes an aggressive sound scraping across the floor. "Is that it then, Lincoln?! You have nothing else to say for yourself?"

Halfway to the door, I stop and face him calmly. "Maybe just this, maybe just a question for you since I've heard my entire life what a disappointment I've been to you – so, you tell me, why is it not fair for a child to say their parents turned out to be a disappointment to them?"

"That's it!" Pops bangs the table and stands up. "We're leaving – you can stay here with your friends, since you obviously don’t care about your family, and breaking your mother's heart."

He makes for the door, and I return to stand at my position behind the table.

Mom hesitates to follow.

Pausing with his fingers on the doorknob, Pops says to her like the total bully he is, "Well, are you coming?!" He lifts his free hand out to my mom, and after a few sad glances split between Jackson and me, she rises and goes to him.

She refuses to take his hand, but he opens the door and lets her exit before he follows.

Alone with Jackson and Dawn, I sit back down. I'm desperate for information. "So, how is Jack doing?"

"OMG!" Dawn exclaims. "You'll never believe it. Dr. Kimball found a match."

"Who is it?"

Jackson speaks up quietly, like he has to deliver bad news. "It's Hamish."

I slump back on my chair. It's such a bittersweet moment.

Dawn continues in a hopeful vein. "Christie came this morning and begged forgiveness for doing this to you and Jack. She's vowed to make it right and get Hamish back here for the procedure."

"Don’t worry, bro." There's something in Jackson's tone that sounds choked up. "It's gonna work out. It's got to; just have some faith."

There is a sharp rap on the door glass. The guard enters, and I stand.

"Time's up." She comes to me, instructing. "Turn around. Put your hands behind your back."

I protest: "That was not 20 minutes, ma'am."

She smirks. "Twenty minutes includes the time it will take to do that little procedure I warned you about, but since that young man touched you, it must be done. Turn around."

The guard cuffs me and spins me to head towards the open door.

I call back to Jackson, "Did you get it, bro?"

He replies hurriedly, "Don’t worry, Linc! I've got what we need!"

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

I'm being led into the courtroom. McClusky and the Santa Clara Sheriff are standing by one of the two tables before 'the bench.' I scan the throng of people on the other side of the handrail divide. Most of them seem to be reporters, although some just seem to be there to shoot daggers at me with their eyes. I see Dawn and Jackson in the front row, right on the aisle, and feel a bit better. Jackson has something in his hands, while Dawn has his camera cradled in her lap.

I realize that in my scanning I did not notice my parents, so I don’t know if they're here or not.

The judge bangs his gavel. He is an older man with salt and pepper hair and half-lens reading glasses propped on the tip of his nose. Sitting up there as he is, I can't shake the feeling that this rubber-stamp jurocrat is tired of his job, and perhaps spends much of his time in court thinking about his upcoming trip to Aruba, or his Fantasy Football League, or this that and the other – anything to kill time.

"We are here," he says into his mic, his hands holding up some papers for his reading glasses to inspect. "To process a request for extradition." He suddenly looks me straight in the eye. "Are you Lincoln Henry Oliver?"

"Yes, sir."

"Clerk, please read the request for extradition."

A thin man, perhaps in his thirties, rises to his feet with an open folder balanced within his spidery grip. He reads unemotionally: "Whereas, we a lawfully assembled Grand Jury in the jurisdiction of Hamilton County, Ohio, do find that the accused, Lincoln Henry Oliver of Los Angeles, California, should be returned to said jurisdiction to face charges of the statutory rape of a minor boy on testimony delivered to Us by the victim's sister, a witness to said crime, We request that said extradition should be made." He closed his folder, turns a momentarily hateful glare on me, and sits down.

There is stunned silence in the court, and for once even the judge's interest seems to be piqued. He asks me with cruel concern, "Do you understand the allegations, young man?"

"I do, Your Honor."

"In that case, do you have anything to say before I rule?"

"Just this: why do you treat Gay kids differently? You look at us differently, you hold us Gay kids – your children, your nieces and nephews – to a more critical standard. Would we be here, letting this personal act of humiliation play itself out if Jack Shaw, the famous Jack Shaw, The Leukemia Kid, had an eighteen-year old girlfriend? No. So, why the double standard – why do kids like me and Jack – Gay kids, have to go through the crap every single day in this country? Can you tell me that?"

The judge inhales and releases his breath again as a smoothly controlled sentence. "Young man, this is not a trial, it is an extradition hearing because a grand jury in Ohio has raised some very grievous charges against you. Now, unless you can offer some evidence to refute the basic premise of the allegation, I'm afraid I will have to turn you over to Sheriff McClusky to face trial."

I am silent.

The judge raises his gavel to make his ruling – Jackson stands and waves a piece of paper over his head.

"I have it, Your Honor! Lincoln is still seventeen – here's a certified copy of his birth certificate. Please, look at it."

Bang! Bang! "Order in court."

The bailiff moves towards Jackson's position, I suppose in case the teenager tries to rush the bench with his piece of paper.

"Young man," the judge says. "Who are you?"

"I'm Lincoln's younger brother, Jackson Oliver. Here is Lincoln's birth certificate from Alameda County. It proves this is all a big misunderstanding anyway; please don’t send him back to Ohio."

After a moment of quiet wavering, the judge tells the bailiff, "Let me see that." And then to Jackson, he adds, "You, young man, take your seat and one more outburst and I will have you escorted from my courtroom."

Once the bailiff hands the birth certificate over the top of the bench, the judge adjusts his reading glasses up the ridge of his nose for optimal viewing comfort.

In the several moments it takes him to go over the document with a fine tooth legal comb I glance at Jackson with a 'thank you' smile and nod. Even if the truth fails to work, like it often has in the past for people like me of the LGBT minority, at least he deployed my plan flawlessly.

As I am glancing at him, I'm momentarily distracted from my own thoughts by the remarkable expression on Dawn's face for my brother. It is one deep with pride and awe. It's the look a person gives to someone ordinary they suddenly recognize as a hero. Yes, Jackson is heroic, he's always been there for me, and now for Dawn, Mrs. Shaw, and Jack as well.

The judge clears his throat and all attention returns to him. The silent tension in the courtroom is thick enough to cut his glasses. "Will the two sheriffs please approach the bench."

After a few minutes of conferring, with the judge holding his hand over the mic on the bench, McClusky turns back looking crestfallen.

The judge bangs his gavel. "Consensual contact between minors, barring any use of force, is not a crime – even in Ohio – and as the other party mentioned in this action has not raised a complaint, nor is he likely to do so, the contact witnessed was consensual. The extradition request is denied. Sheriff McClusky, this court will expect an order of rescindment for the charges against Mr. Oliver to be filed with my clerk within 24 hours. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Your Honor," McClusky splutters softly, like he is being forced to say this against his will.

"As for an apology," the judge continues. "An official one from the Hamilton County Prosecutor's office is probably in order for the falsely accused, as an evident lack of even the most basic homework by that official is now sorely exposed. In addition, the taxpayers of California will be reimbursed for the expense of these proceedings by your Sheriff's Office. Understood?" The man whips off his glasses and glares at McClusky with barely contained contempt.

"Yes, Your Honor." This response is clearly more ire-strained that the first.

"As for you, Mr. Oliver, you are free to go." He bangs the gavel authoritatively. "We will now have a 20-minute recess."

He stands.

"All rise!" the bailiff sings out.

In the next few moments there is a kinetic rush of sound and swirl. The black robe of the judge walks behind the bench and exits out his little side door. Reporters scramble for the main exit to deliver their 'scoops.' A jailhouse guard leads me by the elbow to the gate in the handrail separating the defendants/lawyers area from the spectators' seating. He opens it, and delivers me straight into a backslapping embrace from Jackson. In another moment, Dawn joins us, and I wrap my arm around her to pull her tight into our family hug. Jackson's camera swings wildly around us as Dawn now has it slung over her shoulder.

After we part, I notice the 'hero worship' expression is not only back on Dawn's face, but written in large, easy-to-read letters. I pick up their hands and link them together.

I feel someone lightly touching my elbow. I turn around and see my mother; her visage is both sad and relieved. "Mom! So, you guys were here."

"Yes. Your father's gone to pull the car around. We'll take you back to the hospital, as Dawn and Jackson said they took a cab to get here."

"I don’t know," I say; there are a lot of latent feelings about being in the back of their car again.

"Don’t be silly, Lincoln," she affirms. "We’re just wanting to see you safely delivered – we're not going to kidnap you." Her attempt at a laugh sinks like a lead balloon.

I glance at Jackson, and he nods like it's ok.

"All right. Thanks, Mom."

She inhales a deep breath, but whether it's from regret or triumph, I cannot tell. "Anyway, we'll be down at the curb when you're ready."

She heads to the courtroom door, and the bailiff comes to me holding the plastic bag with my stuff in it. He makes me sign for it, and I immediately open it and fish desperately around; if it's gone…I don’t know what I'd do… Relieved, I latch onto the cord and draw Jack's brass ring out.

"Dawn, please hold this."

I hand the bag to her and lift the piece of cold brass to my lips for a closed-eyed kiss. Then the cord goes over my head, and the ring settles proudly on my chest.

"Thank you," I tell her as I retrieve the baggie of my belongings.

Her hand lingers on mine. "Happy Valentine's Day," she says, and slips something small into my hand.

"What's this? " I ask, not quiet believing my own eyes.

"That's from Mrs. Shaw," my brother informs me. "She wanted to make sure you remember it's Valentine's Day – "

"And," Dawn interrupts him. "Not to go back to Jack empty handed."

I palm the thing, almost imagining it suddenly becoming several times heaver with the added weight of its significance.

"Ok," I announce through my first smile in 24 hours. "Let's go see him."

  

          

                  

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh god... too real for me. I've been arrested a few times and it's not a good time. And some of those pricks really enjoy their jobs. Poor Linc... I tell you this because it felt so real I could barely read that part.
But thank you Jackson!! I'm so happy for all of them.
AC you are a f'g brilliant writer.

 

tim

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 03:03 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Oh god... too real for me. I've been arrested a few times and it's not a good time. And some of those pricks really enjoy their jobs. Poor Linc... I tell you this because it felt so real I could barely read that part.

But thank you Jackson!! I'm so happy for all of them.

AC you are a f'g brilliant writer.

 

tim

Tim, I'm honored that you read it so fast - I feel like I just posted it a few mins ago. All your support and praise is deeply appreciated by me.

 

You are a wordsmith of the highest order, so when you say I can write, that means a lot to me.

 

Thank you :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

After reading the treatment Linc got I had to stop reading and took a stroll in the garden to cool off. The dispicable behaviour of the official is so obvious I'm not going to rant about it.

 

We already had a preview earlier of the kind of people Linc and Jackson's parents are. This was confirmed by the tainted words the father had to offer and the half-hearted actions of the mother. Quite right that Linc stated he was disappointed in them.

 

What intrigues me, though, is that Linc seems to have let this happen. There must have been other ways to prove his age in an earlier stage of the proceedings other than a birth certificate (drivers licence, passport). He could have spoken up sooner.
Was it so he could make his speech in court about the difference in treatment of straight and gay people ? So he would have a forum because of the presence of the press ?

 

One good thing: Dawn sees Jackson as her hero. Good for both of them !

 

Eagerly awaiting the rest of the story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

My main comment is too long and complicated to go in a review, so I'm gonna take it over to the forum, but I want to say here that Linc is so brave to face these trials for the sake of himself and every other gay kid wrongly suspected and accused.
And I do believe only a public humiliation of the bastard Sheriff McClusky could have vindicated Linc, because if he had told the truth as they took him away, they'd still have made him do the perp walk, and that would be the image left in the public eye, because they would have let him go on the sly and the media would not have cared to report it.
And you've gotta love the judge for telling them an apology is in order. I also want Linc to ask for a medical examination and bring charges against the local jail for violating him. But I know it's not realistic.
As for his parents, I think Linc is being too kind, and of course children have every right to be disappointed in their parents - and in this case to reject them too. But to be fair, I think his dad would have been just as much of an asshole if Linc was straight. It's simply another way of putting him down. The only way to handle him is to threaten his image and tell him he is despicable and not worth wasting time on and then ignore him like trash. God I hate that man, and his wife is scarcely any better, for all that she seems to be a little sorry,
Thanks for resolving the cliff hanger, AC.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

An excellent resolution to Linc's situation regarding the arrest, and Tim covered most eloquently why the trial had to happen.
As for his treatment in jail, it wasn't a surprise. Law enforcement is a laudable career, but while it ought to be practiced with restraint on the part of the officers, most are there for the paycheck or job security, not a high-minded respect for the rights of fellow citizens. The yenjoy the feeling of authority and power over others, and that brings the lesser types of applicants to the job...and prison guards are at the very bottom of the hierarchy, so the only place they can satisfy their need for respect is to denigrate their charges, whether they are innocent or guilty.
And we must not forget that such a system protects its own--who will believe a prisoner over a guard without proof?
The only thing which confuses me is why Linc might have thought his father would behave any differently--he's had years of proof to the contrary...and his mother is complicit in his treatment of Linc and Jackson.
More please, my friend!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great chapter AC! I guess these last ones are going to be pretty powerful, so I'll strap in!
The previous reviewers have certainly covered the main points, including the one that bothered me while reading ...why didn't Linc mention his age at the arrest? But I sort of see what he was up to now. He knew he was going to be arrested and he did mention they might not do their homework, so that's clearer. :yes:
The only thing he should have done is ordered a cab for them to go back to the hospital, stating that he didn't trust his father. That's what I would have done, but I'm snarky I guess. <_<

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well, you did say buckle in, but holy! I can't even wrap my head it all. What happened to Linc was heinous. I'll just agree with everyone on that.
I don't get why his parents showed up. His father is the same guy he was all those years ago, and his mother obviously is allowing herself to be led.
I am happy that Linc had his say in court, but I still think it could have all been avoided. He could have put his plan in motion the day the siblings went viral, and avoided the arrest no? I guess I don't really get why he waited. But now he's headed to Jack, with a little something from Mrs S, so that is great..
Hopefully the next chapter is lighter?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 03:58 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

After reading the treatment Linc got I had to stop reading and took a stroll in the garden to cool off. The dispicable behaviour of the official is so obvious I'm not going to rant about it.

 

We already had a preview earlier of the kind of people Linc and Jackson's parents are. This was confirmed by the tainted words the father had to offer and the half-hearted actions of the mother. Quite right that Linc stated he was disappointed in them.

 

What intrigues me, though, is that Linc seems to have let this happen. There must have been other ways to prove his age in an earlier stage of the proceedings other than a birth certificate (drivers licence, passport). He could have spoken up sooner.

Was it so he could make his speech in court about the difference in treatment of straight and gay people ? So he would have a forum because of the presence of the press ?

 

One good thing: Dawn sees Jackson as her hero. Good for both of them !

 

Eagerly awaiting the rest of the story.

Thank you, Peter, for a great review. The fact of his being disappointed in his folks, and daring to voice that disappointment, is a big deal. When do kids ever get to say that? Hardly ever. It's probably about the last thing Lincoln's father expected to hear…

 

The problem is that since the accusation – via Jack's sibling's press conference – was public, a weak-attempt to hire a lawyer and state his case would perhaps be enough to keep him out of jail, but not exonerate his name in the nasty court of public opinion. I think that as a kid of his electronic generation, Lincoln knew that instinctually.

 

Thanks for the review, and as I see you left comments in the forum as well, I'll continue the conversation there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 05:41 AM, Timothy M. said:

My main comment is too long and complicated to go in a review, so I'm gonna take it over to the forum, but I want to say here that Linc is so brave to face these trials for the sake of himself and every other gay kid wrongly suspected and accused.

And I do believe only a public humiliation of the bastard Sheriff McClusky could have vindicated Linc, because if he had told the truth as they took him away, they'd still have made him do the perp walk, and that would be the image left in the public eye, because they would have let him go on the sly and the media would not have cared to report it.

And you've gotta love the judge for telling them an apology is in order. I also want Linc to ask for a medical examination and bring charges against the local jail for violating him. But I know it's not realistic.

As for his parents, I think Linc is being too kind, and of course children have every right to be disappointed in their parents - and in this case to reject them too. But to be fair, I think his dad would have been just as much of an asshole if Linc was straight. It's simply another way of putting him down. The only way to handle him is to threaten his image and tell him he is despicable and not worth wasting time on and then ignore him like trash. God I hate that man, and his wife is scarcely any better, for all that she seems to be a little sorry,

Thanks for resolving the cliff hanger, AC.

Well, Tim, you and I have worked closely to make this chapter better. Your constructive feedback on Linc's parents was pretty invaluable. LOL, but, I am really glad Linc did not even consider doing what you mention here and telling his folks to f-off. There is an aspect to Linc's real age being revealed that perhaps you and other readers have not gotten around to considering yet, but it's out there, and drawing ever closer. * dramatic music * Dum, dum, dum!

 

Yes, the judge acted heroically. I bet he was quite disappointed in the Ohio prosecutor letting this case be a media circus and not a matter of doing the necessary homework. He and the sheriff's office deserve to be humiliated, and I hope the reporters all report the judge's orders word for word.

 

Tim, although I appreciate this review, I have to say I appreciated your initial feedback on this chapter much more. This one worried the sh*t outta me; if it failed, then the book would too. You gave me some hope that with a tweaking, it could indeed be strong enough to hold the book together. Thanks you.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 07:37 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

An excellent resolution to Linc's situation regarding the arrest, and Tim covered most eloquently why the trial had to happen.

As for his treatment in jail, it wasn't a surprise. Law enforcement is a laudable career, but while it ought to be practiced with restraint on the part of the officers, most are there for the paycheck or job security, not a high-minded respect for the rights of fellow citizens. The yenjoy the feeling of authority and power over others, and that brings the lesser types of applicants to the job...and prison guards are at the very bottom of the hierarchy, so the only place they can satisfy their need for respect is to denigrate their charges, whether they are innocent or guilty.

And we must not forget that such a system protects its own--who will believe a prisoner over a guard without proof?

The only thing which confuses me is why Linc might have thought his father would behave any differently--he's had years of proof to the contrary...and his mother is complicit in his treatment of Linc and Jackson.

More please, my friend!

Thank you, ColumbusGuy, for another great review. I agree with you as why Lincoln thought the hearing must had; it was his one and only chance to be heard by the world at large in his own voice.

 

As for your observation that in a 'his word' against 'his word' scenario, 'the suspect' will not be listened to. As for Tim's necessarily good notion that Linc can go have his abuse recorded for legal use later, I'm afraid Linc's priorities are focused on this all being over, so he can return to Jack's side. If he were older, perhaps Linc would do that…but not here, and not now (which is actually pretty sad…).

 

Thanks again for all of your support. I appreciate it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 07:57 AM, skinnydragon said:

Great chapter AC! I guess these last ones are going to be pretty powerful, so I'll strap in!

The previous reviewers have certainly covered the main points, including the one that bothered me while reading ...why didn't Linc mention his age at the arrest? But I sort of see what he was up to now. He knew he was going to be arrested and he did mention they might not do their homework, so that's clearer. :yes:

The only thing he should have done is ordered a cab for them to go back to the hospital, stating that he didn't trust his father. That's what I would have done, but I'm snarky I guess. <_<

Thank you, SkinnyD! Yes, we are in finale now, so if you have a whiplash collar, consider wearing that too ;)

 

It's interesting you mention the Oliver family car. Tim's initial reaction to this was very similar to yours, but since Linc was brave enough to submit the humiliation of this hearing, I guess he can take a ride in the back of that car again.

 

Maybe it's the thaw of a hostile father's demeanor…? Who knows.

 

Thanks for a great review!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/27/2015 10:09 AM, Defiance19 said:

Well, you did say buckle in, but holy! I can't even wrap my head it all. What happened to Linc was heinous. I'll just agree with everyone on that.

I don't get why his parents showed up. His father is the same guy he was all those years ago, and his mother obviously is allowing herself to be led.

I am happy that Linc had his say in court, but I still think it could have all been avoided. He could have put his plan in motion the day the siblings went viral, and avoided the arrest no? I guess I don't really get why he waited. But now he's headed to Jack, with a little something from Mrs S, so that is great..

Hopefully the next chapter is lighter?

Thank you, Defiance19! Love the phrase, the day the sibs went viral. That's about the sum of it, isn't it? I think that if Linc did go the route of hiring a lawyer to 'clear his name,' his name would never have been cleared in the form of the public knowing he was innocent. Once accused nowadays, always guilty in the mob's mind, especially when the charge is a hyped as 'child molestation.' But, as Tim says, Linc did this for others facing the same potential humiliation. He did not do this for himself.

 

If you think you know what Mrs. S. had Dawn slip into Linc's hand, let's hear about it in the forum. You may have it right ;)

 

Next chapter is Valentine's Day, so it should be a sweet break for all of us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm trying to remember from the last book -- didn't Linc admit to Jack that he wasn't eighteen? Didn't he just say that while he was in LA "working" for Daddy? I'm fuzzy about those details now.

 

I loved Lincoln's speech to the judge though. He is one brave kid! And thank you, Judge, for making the Ohio prosecutors apologize for what they did to Lincoln. I hope the media has a field day with that! :D

 

Linc and Jackson's "father" is a real asshole, and he will never change. Good for Lincoln to tell him he's disappointed in him and his birthgiver. At least she showed some kind of sorrow for what happened to her son, but she's not much better than her husband because she won't stand up for herself and tell him to f off, Lincoln is HER son too. She's a coward.

 

I also had a moment where I thought L&J's parents were going to kidnap them and take them back home (with Dawn in tow! :P). And yay for Jackson for being a hero!!!! :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/11/2015 02:59 PM, Lisa said:

I'm trying to remember from the last book -- didn't Linc admit to Jack that he wasn't eighteen? Didn't he just say that while he was in LA "working" for Daddy? I'm fuzzy about those details now.

 

I loved Lincoln's speech to the judge though. He is one brave kid! And thank you, Judge, for making the Ohio prosecutors apologize for what they did to Lincoln. I hope the media has a field day with that! :D

 

Linc and Jackson's "father" is a real asshole, and he will never change. Good for Lincoln to tell him he's disappointed in him and his birthgiver. At least she showed some kind of sorrow for what happened to her son, but she's not much better than her husband because she won't stand up for herself and tell him to f off, Lincoln is HER son too. She's a coward.

 

I also had a moment where I thought L&J's parents were going to kidnap them and take them back home (with Dawn in tow! :P). And yay for Jackson for being a hero!!!! :)

Thanks, Lisa! It's funny about the 'kidnapping' moment, as Tim protested strongly that Lincoln was too readily accepting of the ride. That was great feedback, as it made me dig deep psychologically and put myself in that backseat as Lincoln.

 

That's when the horror of being a little kid and being disrespected, and of how their dad frightened and made Jackson cry on the first day of school, all seemed so perfectly clear to me.

 

I always love feedback that pushes me and my work to be better and easier to digest. That's one the great aspects of our little GA community – the generosity of spirit where we all try and help each other out.

 

Thank you, Lisa, for your review and passion. Love it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I’ve always thought that people who seek employment in tasks such as jailer guards, wardens, police personnel, caregivers in juvenile detention institutions, orphanages, nursing homes, psychiatric asylums and so forth are intrinsically of a sadistic nature and enjoy seeing people at their lowest, in fear, confined, broken, completely at their mercy; specially minors, elderly or deranged people...totally defenceless. I can only imagine that’s how they get their jollies, by instilling  fear and or sexuall abusing them; and yes there must be the odd ball here and there who’s there solely because they just couldn’t land another job but still, mostly they have to enjoy watching human suffering day in and day out, and feel empowered by the humiliation, shame and violence they inflict on them.

 

Edited by Cachondeo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..