Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 1,160 Words
  • 2,430 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dignity - a novel - 18. Chapter 18: Don't Give Up

Chapter 18: Don't Give Up

 

After about 30 minutes of driving, Lincoln has taken us to the beach. Now he's looking for parking, and my eye is caught by the intense orange of the sun as it begins to near the western waters. 'So, this is the ocean?' I think. 'Wish I could see it under different circumstances.'

The street fronting the beach is big – more like a highway – and finally Linc spots a parking space on the other side. He pulls in, and almost immediately jumps out.

As the crosswalk turns green, he latches onto my hand and nearly drags me across the busy street by jogging it quick time.

There is some weird structure, and way out, I can see a Ferris wheel.

"Come on," he says and darts towards a really old and strange building. It has four towers at the corners, and an upside-down ice cream cone roof.

Big and old letters over the glass windows in front read: "MERRY GO-ROUND."

As we get inside, I am blasted with an instantaneous onrush of sights and sounds. Kids scream, calliope music plays, parents with cameras in hand call out "Smile."

There is a whir of circular motion. The antique carousel itself is all movement and light, as animals bob up and down, riding the crest of a frozen wave. The whole platform is a fixed disc turning on a hidden axis, while dim-watt exposed light bulbs trace out fancy-cut mirrors and pained panels.

Lincoln is running ahead of me. I call out, "Where are you going?"

"Here," he calls back.

As I try to follow him, I become aware of an old man. He watches us with hostility and suspicion.

Lincoln is clearly tracking a path around the merry-go-round, and as I trail him and his brisk pace, my attention is simultaneously caught by the blur and activity that seems like dizzying commotion on my right, and the calm and stately progress of the building's features on my left. Over on the quiet side, tall windows round off at the top into arches of glass, and exposed wooden posts are painted blue. My eyes follow them to the wooden tent-like roof. At the top of which, a crown of vermillion sunlight streams in from the western edge of the continent's rim. This sunlight is unmoved and detached as it shines down on the lighted and rotating crest of the carnival ride.

And everywhere is music, music, music – it's all so surreal!

I try to focus; focus on what Lincoln is doing. I become aware that he is searching the floor area by the perimeter.

When we've made a full circuit of the building inside, he turns a crestfallen pallor onto my questioning gaze.

"He's not here," he says.

In my head I begin to scream accusations at myself. Maybe I've acted too late – got my head out of my ass too slowly – and we'll never find Jack. If that is true, if that is my new reality, then I will have to swallow down bitter regret for the rest of my life. I come to the point, that like the false gaiety of the motion around me, though the inward momentum may continue, the reasons will be visible to none, maybe not even to me.

All at once, Lincoln's face loses its tension, and a new determination shows through his frustration. "Oh, wait…" he says slowly. "Maybe he's…"

Then Linc grabs my hand, and we start to run.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Out along the side of the building is a staircase. Beyond it I can see the beach and the crashing surf. We go down the steps, and Linc turns awkwardly, and begins to scrunch down. He's looking for something in the fence that closes off the supports for the pier from our side on the beach.

Under there is a wilderness of dark pillars, and he finds his way in.

"Come on!" He extends his hand and I slip through to join him.

Under here is creepy.

I look around, and my impression of a wooded area is reinforced, only this is a dank forest with a lid on top. Strangely too, I can still here the carousel music from above.

Linc stops. And there he is. Jack is a shivering mass. He's curled up on the sand in the fetal position, and is about twenty feet ahead.

We both run to him.

Lincoln drops to his knees near Jack's head. He pulls on the trembling boy's upper body and makes him place his head on Linc's upper legs. Then he rips off his own jacket and drapes it on Jack's shoulders and chest.

"Jack?" he calls gently.

He is only semi-conscious.

"Jack!" he says with more force, and I see the sick boy flutter his eyes.

Lincoln tells me, "You can drive, right!"

"Um…learner's permit."

"Good enough. Take my keys and pull the car around to this side of the street so we can load him up."

He fishes them out of his pocket, and tosses a keychain to me.

"Ok," I say, and run.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

I am so tired and cold, and yet from my icy sleep, I hear someone call my name – at least, I seem to remember being called that at one time.

"Jack, Jack, Jack." There is a light caress on my cheek, and I open my eyes.

Oh shit. It's Lincoln Oliver. I start to cry, convulse really, as if my racking sobs and chilled shivers were from the same source. "No, no, no – I don’t want you to see me like this."

He sputters, " Shoosh."

I tell him, "You need to forget about me."

"You need to stop being a little selfish prick." He kisses me, and his lips are as warm as his tears are salty.

"Lincoln, no…"

"You sweet, sweet little fucker. Fight, damn you. Don’t even think of leaving me alone. Don’t let the Man, and his phony fucked-up world win – you fight! There's no dignity in rolling over and just giving up."

I feel his hand on my cheek again, but its sensation is one of numbness. I am tired. I am so tired, and it just becomes an incredible relief to close my eyes, so I do.

Now there is a sound like a hurricane in a bottle, and my ears sink into static of the kind I'd heard when I descended into deep water.

Lincoln's hand is on my chest. He makes a movement there, and for a fleeting second, I have the brass ring rubbing over my heart.

Lincoln's voice can barely get to me now. I feel like lead shot, and how wonderful it is to let go.

"Fight, come on, for me – fight – just don’t give up…" are the last words I hear, that, and circus music drifting down from above.

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I can read these chapters a hundred times and I will still cry each time.

 

Lincoln is right; there's no dignity in just rolling over and giving up. Although of course I see Jack's pov; he's just so sick of being poked and prodded and feeling horrible, when none of the treatment seems to work.

 

Terrific chapter, AC.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/09/2014 10:18 AM, Lisa said:
I can read these chapters a hundred times and I will still cry each time.

 

Lincoln is right; there's no dignity in just rolling over and giving up. Although of course I see Jack's pov; he's just so sick of being poked and prodded and feeling horrible, when none of the treatment seems to work.

 

Terrific chapter, AC.

Yes, through the process of writing, typing and editing this book, i really got sick of crying all the time. ;( Nevertheless, Jack's high spirits, and his way of never feeling sorry for himself, carried me along.
Link to comment

I'm so worried for Jack/Sean. I hope he fights the leukemia and they can treat it before it's too late. I hope his mom is accepting of his and Lincoln's relationship. The really great thing about this story is the development of the characters and their differing viewpoints. Although Jack, his mom, Dawn, and Lincoln all have differing viewpoints, we can sympathize with all of the characters. Great story. Can't wait for the next installment

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/09/2014 03:10 PM, Locatenate said:
I'm so worried for Jack/Sean. I hope he fights the leukemia and they can treat it before it's too late. I hope his mom is accepting of his and Lincoln's relationship. The really great thing about this story is the development of the characters and their differing viewpoints. Although Jack, his mom, Dawn, and Lincoln all have differing viewpoints, we can sympathize with all of the characters. Great story. Can't wait for the next installment
Thank you. Your comments mean a lot to me.

 

I should have the final chapter up tomorrow or the day after. After it is all done, I would to hear finial assessments of the work as a whole.

Link to comment
On 07/30/2014 05:04 PM, Jaro_423 said:
OMG. Well at least they did find him, but is it too late?
Poor Lincoln, that's about all I can say. It's so sad, isn't it - it just sort of hit me while i was writing this thank you.
Link to comment

In this day and age of science used to gain control over life, accepting death seems so unlikely. But isn't the control we've gained through research sometimes just an illusion? Is it really undignified to choose not to have treatment if that treatment almost kills you? We are supposed to fight. But if you don't want to? Sean's last dream seemed to tell us he's at peace. Then who's to say he's wrong? He's young, but has been through this before. Maybe, it's his choice?

 

I'm however glad they will try and convince him to get treatment, but I think it's difficult. A dilemma.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/26/2015 06:46 AM, Puppilull said:

In this day and age of science used to gain control over life, accepting death seems so unlikely. But isn't the control we've gained through research sometimes just an illusion? Is it really undignified to choose not to have treatment if that treatment almost kills you? We are supposed to fight. But if you don't want to? Sean's last dream seemed to tell us he's at peace. Then who's to say he's wrong? He's young, but has been through this before. Maybe, it's his choice?

 

I'm however glad they will try and convince him to get treatment, but I think it's difficult. A dilemma.

Thank you, Puppilull. The issues you raise in your first paragraph as issues that resurface in the follow-up book. And, naturally enough, you are when to say that are not easy ones to deal with.

 

Now they have to get him to the hospital…

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..