Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 1,665 Words
  • 3,216 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dignity - a novel - 3. Chapter 3: Shit Hits the Fan

Chapter 3: Shit Hits the Fan

 

First Period bell hasn't rung yet, so the corridors are full of dorky kids pretending to be more than only half-grown adults.

I try to navigate the screeching rabble to my homeroom without watching. I hone my ancient lizard-brain motor skills to duck this way and that, while I text Jack:

 

Mornin Mary Sunshine! Sean, **// Yu dweeb, LMK if YuROK. Don’t hold out! 143 – TYL

[Morning Mary Sunshine! Sean, wink-wink nudge-nudge, you dweeb, let me know if you are ok. Don’t hold out! I love you – text you later]

 

I just get through my classroom door, and get my phone put away, when I am barked at.

"Dawn," says Mrs. Carter. "You are to report to the principal's office, immediately."

"Am I in trouble?" I ape some wide-eye innocence.

Before my teacher can reply, there is a rippling stream of giggles from the idiots at their desks.

"Go to the principal's office, Dawn. I think you know what this is about."

I swallow down hard, 'cause her tone is one I would not expect from a teacher – ever. It is somewhat compassionate; it almost has pity for me.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

I sit in the waiting room waiting for 'an audience' – geesh – give me a break. I pull out my phone just to make sure Jack didn’t reply to my text yet. Nope. I wonder where he is by now. He must at least be in the Central Time Zone, which means it's still seven o'clock for him. Damn. Why does he put me through this!?

A buzzer on the receptionist's desk sounds.

"You can go in now," she says.

I open the door, and stop. I expected just Mr. Voorhies to be there – in his office, alone – but, I can see the back of someone's head as they sit in front of his desk.

"Come in, Dawn. Close the door," my principal tells me with his usual authority.

Still, the head does not turn – but…I…'shit,' I think. 'Shit, shit, shit.'

I go to the second chair. I sit besides Mrs. Shaw.

"Mr. Voorhies," I start. "I gave all the information I have about Jack to the police last night. I – "

"Dawn," he cuts me off. "Sometimes 'official channels' can intimidate; the police do not ever strive to reassure those whom they think have information. Jack's mother asked for this meeting to give you those reassurances, but..." he suddenly stands with both hands on his desk. "What you may have to discuss is private. So, I will leave you. Mrs. Shaw, you may have the use of my office for as long as you need it."

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

It has been several minutes now since Mr. Voorhies left the room.

The few side-glances I took of Jack's mom were disturbing. She seems as if she's been crying, and up all night, but now she won't look at me; she won't say 'boo' to me, and all she does is stare down at her hands. They are twisting an already knotted Kleenex in her lap. Does she expect me to speak first? God, this is all so unfair to me.

I swallow down the lump in my throat, and try: "I really don't know – "

She cuts me off. "Do you know how much I love Jack?" She stares me square in the face.

"I…"

"Do you know, Dawn, what it is to love someone that God put into your lap as an infant, and whom you have to watch grow, and then suffer? Do you know the anger that builds and consumes a human soul at how fucking unfair that same God is to make that child sick!"

There are tears in her eyes, but I know what I see these are not drops distilled from sadness, but from pure anger.

"I don’t know what to say, Mrs. Shaw, I too – "

"Look, Dawn," she reaches out and grabs my forearm; her touch is hot, but her grip gentle. "Friendship and loyalty, especially to and from a fifteen-year-old boy and girl, are admirable things. I do not question that what you do comes from a sense of devotion, and – Dawn, I know – from a source of love, but those good qualities can become isolated and, and cancerous, when they are used to serve the wrong reasons. Friendship and loyalty are not good when, when, a person's life is at stake. You can understand that, right?"

I pull out of her touch.

"I, I – all I know is Jack will be back; he met a boy his own age online and went to visit him in Chicago. I don’t know the boy's name; I don’t know his address; I don’t know anything."

'I hope you're happy, Jack.' I think to myself. 'I toe your party line while you skip town.' I'm getting mad. Why am I the one to see this? See the damage his decisions make, while he is out 'living a little.' Damn, this sucks!

Mrs. Shaw inhales and seems to collect herself and her thoughts. She tries a new approach.

"I forget, Dawn." Her tone is almost conversational. "When did you and Jack first meet?"

"Um…6th grade."

She considers that a moment. "Sixth grade, that means when you were about eleven or twelve. I…I remember that was just after his second round of treatments. Do you recall?"

"Yes."

"Do you remember anything about it?"

"I remember he was sick. I remember he was in pain, and that he, that he…" I can't complete it, because I know saying 'felt bad for you' would probably break her heart, and would certainly not help in this situation.

"Dawn, he was sick. I took care of him. Each day was like a long drawn-out dream – a bad one – when someone is in that condition. Each day a person is tossed back and forth, from hope to despair, and from wanting relief, to wanting to fight it out.

"Right now, Jack wants to throw in the towel. You don’t think I know that? Hmm? I am his mother, and I can't make him want to live, but..." she chuckles. "I am his mother, so I have a job to do to make sure everything possible is done." She starts to cry; she's about to make me cry too.

"Dawn – when he was seven years old, and sick for the first time, I would cradle him in my arms, and tell him not to think about his nausea. I would stroke his hair and lie to him as if I were God – I would tell my boy 'Everything will be all right,' as if I knew; as if I had any power at all. Don’t you see, Dawn, I was powerless then, but I bluffed, because I have never had a real say if my Jack lives or dies. But you, Dawn, you have that power. What are you going to do with it?"

I can feel my lower jaw hinge open. The shit had just hit the fan, and I am only the girl caught in between.

"Look," I tell her. "Maybe there comes a time when the pain of not doing something is less than the pain of doing it. All I know, is what, I have told you already. Ok? I don’t know anymore than that. I swear."

I can barely make out her words through her cracking voice.

"After what he went through with his father…"

Then she regroups and wipes her tears in a long stroke of her sleeve.

"When you are older, I just hope you never have to go through the loss of your child."

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

The toilet stall door clicks behind me. I latch it, and start crying.

My tears too are not sad ones, but fucking angry.

I hate that Jack has put me in this position. Didn't he stop to consider that running away without me would make me the one to see and deal with his mom?

After I stalled her, and became non-responsive, Mrs. Shaw stood, and without a word left Mr. Voorhies' office. He came in and dismissed me with a nasty look of disappointment on his face. Fuck him! He doesn't understand, that much is clear, so who the fuck is he to judge! He may have released me, but how can I go to my Chemistry class like this!?

As I sit here and try and gather myself, I can't help but think of Jack's mom. Maybe Mrs. Shaw is just avoiding the reality of the situation at all costs. Sure, she doesn't know where he is; that part I get and understand her reaction to, but the rest of it – the clinging to hope that poof, presto, wave the magic wand shit, Jack will be cured. That's all some kind of denial, I mean, right? She wants Jack to be ok – and hell, so do I, more than anything else – but the cold hard truth of the whole fucked up mess is this: wishing don’t make it so.

Oh, God. It's all so unfair.

I pull out my phone. No reply from him.

God, how I need for him to acknowledge what shit I'm putting up with for him. I hate-punch out the letters:

 

B-A-S-T-A-R-D-! 18Yu!!!

[Bastard! I hate you!!!]

 

I press 'send,' and somehow, I'm surprised that I feel no fucking relief at all.

"Where are you, Jack?" I say out loud, and sit down.

Is this some kind of love or hate I feel? Is my friendship for him a good force or a destructive one?

What kind of friend lets her best friend in the whole wide world – the one she loves more than anyone else, ANYONE else – die?

God, I feel so alone.

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Dawn. Yes, Jack put her in a terrible position.

 

Jack's mom had me crying all over again. I thought I cried enough the first time I read it, but nooooooo, she pulled at my heartstrings. I don't think I'd be able to hold out like Dawn did.

 

Great chapter, AC! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I can't wait to read more from you. I want to see how jack is doing and ifbhe feels guilty about putting dawn in that position.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/24/2014 03:27 PM, randyjuan said:
I can't wait to read more from you. I want to see how jack is doing and ifbhe feels guilty about putting dawn in that position.
Ok. Chapter 4 coming today, and you can see Sean's reaction to Dawn's texts.

 

Thank you for liking it so far :)

Link to comment
On 05/23/2014 10:20 AM, Lisa said:
Poor Dawn. Yes, Jack put her in a terrible position.

 

Jack's mom had me crying all over again. I thought I cried enough the first time I read it, but nooooooo, she pulled at my heartstrings. I don't think I'd be able to hold out like Dawn did.

 

Great chapter, AC! :)

Yeah, me too! I thought I would just "slip" in and out of the chapter to do i final reading for errors and punctuation adjustment, but wound up a mess by the time Dawn was in the bathroom stall. Mrs Shaw always amazes me.
Link to comment

This is quite effectively told from Dawn's POV. Jack did put Dawn in a tough spot. He had no choice, really, if he was to get away; he couldn't have managed it without her. I'm left wondering what happened to or with Jack's father.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/27/2014 11:59 AM, knotme said:
This is quite effectively told from Dawn's POV. Jack did put Dawn in a tough spot. He had no choice, really, if he was to get away; he couldn't have managed it without her. I'm left wondering what happened to or with Jack's father.
Dawn's motivations are the best kind, and maybe sometime later in the story we'll find out what Jack means when he says "it's better this way." He of course, is talking about his running away.

 

Thank you for your support, knotme.

Link to comment
On 06/11/2014 12:30 AM, RolandQ said:
The dialog is very convincing. It carries the emotions on several levels. Nice.
Thank you :)
Link to comment

I cannot begin to imagine what it would be life, what it would feel like to have your child, your very sick child leave home without a clue as to where he or she is headed. Poor Dawn was stuck in between the proverbial rock and hard place in this chapter. She doesn't want Mrs. Shaw to worry but she doesn't want to betray her best friend's confidence. I shed more tears during this chapter. This story has become more than just words on a page. With each passing chapter, there is a sense of dread. I know there are twenty chapters and I have a sneaking suspicion that things will continue to become more and more emotion. I guess you could say that I am reluctantly anticipating the next chapter. Great work!

Link to comment
On 07/25/2014 02:29 PM, Bryce Lee said:
I cannot begin to imagine what it would be life, what it would feel like to have your child, your very sick child leave home without a clue as to where he or she is headed. Poor Dawn was stuck in between the proverbial rock and hard place in this chapter. She doesn't want Mrs. Shaw to worry but she doesn't want to betray her best friend's confidence. I shed more tears during this chapter. This story has become more than just words on a page. With each passing chapter, there is a sense of dread. I know there are twenty chapters and I have a sneaking suspicion that things will continue to become more and more emotion. I guess you could say that I am reluctantly anticipating the next chapter. Great work!
There is more to come from the parent's perspective, but i hope you are not dreading moving on to chapter 4. :) Thank you for your kinds words and encouragement.
Link to comment

I was crying for Dawn at the end of the chapter. So hard on her. Her position is so difficult, but she is so loyal to Jack. What a very special friend she is. Haven't got to thinking how hard this is for Jack's mom, and yet I should be seeing the parental perspective more clearly. I think you did a really great job of putting us in Dawn's shoes. So moving and so unfair, all of it, and so human too in the way we respond to these trials. God gets blamed! And we get into anger and denial. Great writing. I am really so involved in this story. Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2014 10:05 PM, Jaro_423 said:
I was crying for Dawn at the end of the chapter. So hard on her. Her position is so difficult, but she is so loyal to Jack. What a very special friend she is. Haven't got to thinking how hard this is for Jack's mom, and yet I should be seeing the parental perspective more clearly. I think you did a really great job of putting us in Dawn's shoes. So moving and so unfair, all of it, and so human too in the way we respond to these trials. God gets blamed! And we get into anger and denial. Great writing. I am really so involved in this story. Thank you.
I believe this is one of the shortest chapters in the book, and yet it is about all the reader or I could bear. Anymore and the whole project would come a grinding halt.

 

As I have said before, both Mrs. Shaw and Dawn amaze me with their strength. Neither of them would run from Jack in a similar circumstance, but I guess with boys, they act out more from impulse. Yet, we still do not fully understand Jack's motivations for running, and maybe they are not as selfish as they seem.

Link to comment

Damn it. That made me cry...I mean really cry. I knew in chapter 1 that this was going to be hard, so I put it away.But now I am back and it is chapter 3 and it has begun. As a dad, this hit me right between the eyes. We parents always think we know best and as kids we think the same thing. Where Dawn is concerned I both hate her for getting in the way and feel sorry for her for being put in the way. Jack, his Mom, and Dawn are all on separate journeys right now and while Jack's journey should be the toughest, I am not so sure it is. At this stage it was his Mom and Dawn that I cried for. It would be unfair to say that Jack is being selfish but the fact is that the results of his actions are devastating to those who love him. I really hope he gets whatever he needs from this, and although his future looks predetermined, I will not give up hope until the end.Really powerful stuff here AC...cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/01/2014 12:08 PM, Headstall said:
Damn it. That made me cry...I mean really cry. I knew in chapter 1 that this was going to be hard, so I put it away.But now I am back and it is chapter 3 and it has begun. As a dad, this hit me right between the eyes. We parents always think we know best and as kids we think the same thing. Where Dawn is concerned I both hate her for getting in the way and feel sorry for her for being put in the way. Jack, his Mom, and Dawn are all on separate journeys right now and while Jack's journey should be the toughest, I am not so sure it is. At this stage it was his Mom and Dawn that I cried for. It would be unfair to say that Jack is being selfish but the fact is that the results of his actions are devastating to those who love him. I really hope he gets whatever he needs from this, and although his future looks predetermined, I will not give up hope until the end.Really powerful stuff here AC...cheers...Gary
Thank you, Gary.

 

 

I would just like to tell you that the parents get their shining moment later on in the second half of the book, and you may be surprised to know that it is Principal Voorhies who speaks for them. So, hang in there, lol.

 

 

My goal was to show that there is no one side to any issue. Here, Dawn and Mrs. Shaw are both caught in the middle.

 

 

Thank you for supporting this project. I appreciate it.

Link to comment

15-year olds don't think things through, do they? The conflict in Dawn... I feel so sorry for her. She's all alone to handle the fall out. Knowing in her heart that Jack running away is not a good idea. At the same time not wanting to break his trust.

 

And my mom instinct is going nuts. I don't think I would have been as calm as Jack's mother...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/16/2015 03:40 AM, Puppilull said:

15-year olds don't think things through, do they? The conflict in Dawn... I feel so sorry for her. She's all alone to handle the fall out. Knowing in her heart that Jack running away is not a good idea. At the same time not wanting to break his trust.

 

And my mom instinct is going nuts. I don't think I would have been as calm as Jack's mother...

Thanks, Puppilull, for another great review. I believe this is one of the shortest chapters in the book. I perhaps would have planned for a longer one, but the sheer emotional density of the situation and encounters shown would have made a longer chapter unbearable. As it is, I can never read this segment, even just to edit it, without feeling like crying for Dawn and sympathizing with Mrs. Shaw.

 

As for Jack's mom, she IS a remarkable woman.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..