Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 3,146 Words
  • 5,018 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dignity - a novel - 1. Chapter 1: Holden Caulfield

 

 

Dignity

A Novel

 

 

 

 

“Or you'd just passed by

one of those puddles in the street

with gasoline rainbows in them.

I mean you'd be different in some way –

I can't explain what I mean.

And even if I could,

I'm not sure I'd feel like it.”

J.D. Salinger

 

 

 

 

by

AC Benus

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

for

FRANK LIU

Woodkid and love

unite us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Contents

 

PART ONE: Denial; Anger; Bargaining

Chapter 1: Holden Caulfield

Chapter 2: Under the Blanket

Chapter 3: Shit Hits the Fan

Chapter 4: Wave of the Future

Chapter 5: Carousel Horses

Chapter 6: Media Circus

Chapter 7: First Full Day

Chapter 8: "Cheeez!"

Chapter 9: Next Day/Crab Shack

Chapter 10: Betrayal; Fresh Start

 

PART TWO: Depression; Acceptance; the Beyond

Chapter 11: Orange Ribbon

Chapter 12: Drifting

Chapter 13: Rooftop Stars

Chapter 14: Brass Ring

Chapter 15: Gilded

Chapter 16: Confession

Chapter 17: Running

Chapter 18: Don't Give Up

Chapter 19: Death

Chapter 20: Hospital

 

 

 


 

PART ONE: Denial; Anger; Bargaining

Chapter 1: Holden Caulfield

 

Fuking 'puce,' even the word makes me want to vomit.

I hate being in this doctor's office. Who in their right mind still has the geeky colors of the 80s?! The goddamn f-in 80s!

I realize my legs fidget, so I use my hands to smooth down my denim, and try not to show any signs of nervousness. But, I know. This is not going to be good. Why? When you've been through it like me – picture clothes through a wringer, LOL – you can 'feel' it as it comes back.

My mom suddenly puts her hand on mine. She's sitting in the chair next to me, and I can barely glance over to meet her worried eyes.

Fuk 'em. Damn nauseating colors – 'plum,' 'mauve,' 'puce' – oh God, I think I might really be sick.

"It's ok, Mom..." I manage to get out.

I must sound kinda pathetic, or something, cuz a weird sort of choking sound catches in her throat.

"Jack, just don’t give up."

"Phew! – " I roll my eyes. "Who said 'give up?'"

This must make her feel better, which I kinda knew it would – that's why I said it.

Fuk, I hate this waiting room.

My phone vibrates. It's my bestie, Dawn; her text reads:

 

Yu f*ck up, Yu cant even do anything right, LOL

 

There is a second one right behind it:

 

But srysly, Yu'll b ok, i know it. Dont think abt that shit yu talked to me abt. Its not worth it

[But seriously, you'll be ok. I know it. Don't think about that shit you talked to me about. It's not worth it.]

 

I begin to thumb-punch a reply:

 

Wtng to go in now. It wont b good. TTUL

[I'm waiting to go in now. It won't be good. Talk to you later.]

 

I can feel me forcing down an involuntary swallow, and I turn my phone off.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Dr. Kimball is handsome, and if I went in for older guys…but, who am I kidding? He's way old – has got to be around 43, and that's the same age as my mom – so, no.

He sits at his desk and pokes around in a manila folder that is supposed to make up 'my chart.' I know it is bullshit. My real file is the size of a dictionary. And besides, Dr. Kimball is stalling – I can tell – he doesn't have to reference a goddamn thing.

"Jack Shaw," he says. "Your spinal tap test results…well…they're not good."

I just hold his blue eyes. I can't say I feel much of anything right now. My mom though, she gasps and scoots way up to sit on the edge of her chair.

"It can't be!" she tells the doc with some anger. "He's only fifteen. It's not fair."

I don’t think I would have expected it, cuz, really, I have known Dr. Kimball for a while now, but there was something like a tear in his eye.

He made a sound similar to clearing his throat, but I think he was literally 'sucking it up,' as the old saying goes, LOL.

"Mrs. Shaw, remission is a tricky thing; leukemia is a tricky disease. We have a good prognosis that Jack can and will respond to the treatments he's had in the past."

"Good..?"

"Good." The doctor swallows while saying this, and even my mom, who desperately wants to believe it, doesn't.

"Right now, because of our vigilant monitoring, we've caught a suspicious increase in his leukocytes, this doesn't mean he has leukemia right now, but aggressive treatment will improve his chances."

"And…" I stammer. "Without, treatments..?"

Dr. Kimball bites his lip for a slip second, and his gaze slips off of me to my mom. Out of the corner of my eye, I see her nod permission for my doc to be straight up with me.

"Well, Jack. With no action, you may be ok for a while – that is – you may be asymptomatic and showing no signs. This state could last a month or two, or a few more, but then, once the symptoms do show up again, you will probably have only a matter of weeks, maybe six to eight weeks. Do you understand?"

My oncologist, who I've known since I was 7 years old, reaches across the desk with his hand out to me. "Jack, how do you feel? How do you feel about treatment?"

I don’t take his hand; I shrug – cuz, that's how I really feel.

"Jack!" my mom says way too loud. "You've got to fight!"

I tell her, "Save the melodrama, Mom. Who said I wasn't?"

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

"So…" Dawn draws out the vowel. "What are ya gonna do?"

We're sitting in my basement room – my older brother and sister got the upstairs bedrooms. I kinda stall, looking over the posters hanging around my bed, which we are both sitting on.

There's a World of Warcraft I pinched from Best Buy, and a hot one of One Direction. Damn, Zayn Malik is so cute!

"Hey," she slaps my leg. "Dream boy, did you hear my question?!"

Dawn is kinda pretty, that is, for a girl – LOL. She's got shoulder-length hair the red color of autumn leaves, and some freckles on her cheeks and nose.

"Oww!" I ham it up. "You ain't got no sympathy, bitch!"

"Who you calling a bitch?"

She play-punches my shoulder, and I laugh as I draw my legs up like a shield.

We settle down again.

She wants to know, "So what did your doctor say?"

"Mumbo jumbo bullshit; it's back; same rounds of chemo and radiation. Bullshit. All they offer is fake hope and endless pain. You know I can't go through it again. They're all fake."

"You think they're all fake?"

"Most of 'em. When they say 'I'm so sorry…' and 'hang in there…' I know they're just thinkin' to themselves 'thank God it's not me…' or 'thank God it's not my child…' It makes me sick – no one says the truth, that they can hardly be bothered with other peoples' problems."

"Do you really feel that way?"

"Yes. I do. I don’t want to be Jack, 'the poor kid,' anymore. I hate the name, and I hate being him. The one who everybody pretends to pity, but in reality, just wants to run away from. They are too chicken-shit to say the truth, to tell me and the rest of the world what they are really thinking – thinking that they don’t want to stick around, in case they 'catch it' from me. The fukers, so fuk 'em. That's what I say – fuk them!"

She chuckles: "You're a regular Holden Caulfield."

"A regular, whofield?"

She looks all dumb. "Holden Caulfield." Her face turns to one of pity as I shrug my shoulders. "You know, the teenage boy from Catcher in the Rye."

"Never read it."

"Boy, you need to read more, and play less video games."

"Phew…" I stammer.

Her voice rises a little bit. "Holden Caulfield thinks all the grownups are phony, and calls out their bullshit."

She looks all sad, all of a sudden. "You don’t think your mom is faking it when she says you'll be ok, do you?"

Fuk. She's about to make me cry. I've got to stop it. "Look, she's got Hamish and Christie to worry about – "

She cuts me off. "Just 'cause she loves your brother and sister, doesn’t mean she doesn't care about you."

"Dawn, just stop. Please. This is hard enough as it is."

She stands up and starts picking at shit on my dresser. I sit on the edge of my bed, and she looks at me in the mirror.

"I don't think you should do it, wait a couple weeks at least until school is out, then maybe you and I can both do it."

"There's no use waiting, Dawn."

She takes some strings of Mardi Gras beads down from the mirror support and puts them on.

"What you need," she says as she swirls them around her fingertips. "Is a boyfriend."

I grunt a little.

"What about," she ignores me. "Kevin Foxwood! He's out, and on the football team!"

"He's a senior."

"So?"

"So…, he's a jock. He's never given me the time of day, and besides, he's like eighteen!"

She steps in front of me; she puts her hands on her hips. "And?"

"And, well, maybe I prefer younger guys."

"You pedo!" She laughs.

"What's wrong with liking guys my own age?!"

Dawn sits down, and is all serious. "Maybe you need a guy who's a little more mature, and who can look after you some. You know, spoil you, and shit."

I have to laugh: "Flowers and a heart-box of chocolates?"

"Well," she shrugs. "Why not? Isn't that all part of love anyway?"

"Remember, I'm not into the bullshit stuff."

She touches my hand. "You don’t think 'love' is bullshit, do you?"

For some reason, I think of Dr. Kimball in his office today. I didn’t allow him to touch me – to reach out, as it were – but it'd be a crap move to pull out of Dawn's grasp right now.

"Dawn…" my fuking voice sounds all emo. "Come on now." I slowly remove out my hand from hers.

"You're just scared, and need someone – "

I'm about to cry. "Stop it. I am not scared, I'm calm and determined, and it's totally not fair to think of pulling anyone else into my mess. I'm gonna die, Dawn. I'm ok with it, but I am going to die."

Her head falls into her hands. She starts to cry pretty hard. That gives me a chance to rally. I put my arm around her shoulder. I shush her, saying real soft: "Please, stop. Ok?"

She kinda, sorta does, and stands up again. As she gets a Kleenex, she tells me, "Your plan is crazy. Why L.A.?"

After she blows her nose, and comes back to sit with me, I just shrug my shoulders.

She gets all grown-up-like. "You know, you can't take your phone with you."

"Oh, yeah. I didn't think of that."

"Dumbbell. They can trace you with it."

"Yeah…" I consider the matter.

"You need a prepaid, disposable one, that you can top up with cash."

"Yeah. I'll get one in the morning."

"Do you even know my phone number?"

"Five, one, three…eight…" I peter out to nothing, with a big ole grin.

"Shit. I knew it. That's why – " she fumbles around in her back pocket. "I got you one, just in case."

She puts it in my hand. I stare at it, thinking I'm gonna start crying again.

"I pre-programmed my number in it. Ok?"

I feel me biting my lower lip. What can I say?

She asks me real tender, "Still think love is all bullshit?"

Fuk. I do start to cry.

"Why can't I go with you?"

"No, Dawn. You'd be my 'easy out,' my way home again – and I don’t want that. It's enough. There's no reason for you and everybody else to see me weak and feeble, dying in bed without any hair. It's best I go. That's it. That's all there is to the matter."

"So, what is it you do want?"

"To see the ocean, to sit on the beach – I don’t know. Just, live a little before it's too late."

She puts her arms around me, and draws me into a hug.

"You bastard," she whispers.

She pushes me back a little, asking, "Can we cuddle?"

"Sure."

I lay back and position my pillows so she gets one too. I extend my right arm, and she snuggles down so her head is resting halfway on my chest and shoulder.

"Better?" I ask her.

She nods, and drapes her arm on my belly and chest. Her fingers spread flat over my heart.

I feel calmer now. But, like a growing warmth that sneaks into your body after you come into the house again from a long winter car ride, I know my body is still cold. There is a creeping menace – that at least on a subconscious level – I can feel literally in my bones. It is the force, a hot one, or a cold one, I do not know, which drives me on. I may not be able to escape it, but I can haul it away, far away, from hurting the others who would pity me because of it. Maybe I am selfish, but I act out of consideration that when a person's number is up, why drag down others with him?

Her hand strays up to my bangs. She twists a little knot with them. "I like your hair."

"It's just brown."

"It's nice. I wish I had it."

I gather the loose strands out of her eyes. "What's wrong with strawberry-blond?"

"Would you want it?"

"Nope. But, it looks good on you, Heidi."

"Bastard," she mumbles, and flicks my tit through my Orange Crush t-shirt. I like wearing orange as a color – it's cool on me.

After a few silent moments, a whisper comes up from Dawn's auburn-framed face. "Stay, Jack. Get the treatment."

I kiss her forehead. "If you love me, you won't ask that again." Then I lighten my tone, and ask, "Do you think I can pass as eighteen?"

Dawn raises her head, and eyes me with some scrunched mental scrutiny. "So, how tall are you now?"

"Five-nine."

"Yeah, like, you're pretty tall, but you've got to work on your walk."

"What do you mean?" I'm a little incensed.

"Calm it down, Poodle! I just mean – you can, on occasion, still walk like a dweeby 8th grader."

"How?"

"You know, arms and legs goin' all over the place, a little spasmodically."

"Phew! – " I let slide out of the side of my mouth. "Fuking big word."

"Yeah, but do ya get me?"

"Mmmmm…"

"Guys, like the juniors and seniors – and like totally foxy Kevin Foxwood – they walk all calm, and seem to pretend they've got joint pain, or some such crap. So, to be eighteen, you've got to walk like you've got no place in particular to get to."

"Joint pain, huh? Yeah, I can do that, cuz I actually have it! You mean I need to walk like I'm – Cool?"

"Yey-a, dweeb. Walk like you're 'kool.'"

"K."

I try not to think of anything too seriously, and wind up glancing at my One Direction poster. I guess it might be the last time I can relax from here and look at those sexy boys.

"Don’t you think Zayn Malik is cute?"

Dawn looks doubtful. "You and your roving eye. You think every guy is cute."

"Not every guy, but a lot of them!" I laugh. "But, few can match Zayn, don’t you think..?" I try to lead her into a confession by flaring up my eyebrows, as I do my grin.

She props herself on an elbow. I can tell she's not thinking about cute boys at all. At almost a psychic level, I know she wants to ask me to stay again. I slowly shake my head, and feel all my good spirits drain – all of them except the good feeling of love I have for Dawn.

"The way I walk?" I tell her. "You kiddin' me! You ever seen the way you twerk on down the corridor. It's disgraceful."

Teary-eyed, she bites her lip, and her hand comes and slaps my chest once. "Bitch," she smiles.

"No, you," I tell her.

"No, you!"

I have to laugh; I have to agree: "Yes. Me!" Then I ask her in all sincerity, "Now, will you help me pack?"

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

While beta-ing this story, I found these links

 

 

 

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/childALL/HealthProfessional/page8

 

http://www.all-kids.org/relapsequestions.html

 

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/120/14/2807.full

 

that helped me understand what Jack is facing. Maybe this story has oversensitized me to the fact—it may be nothing—that nowhere in any these links, even the site named "all kids," did I find the slightest nod to the notion that the kid should have a say in treatment. I realize that most kids with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia are younger than Jack, but still, kudos to Mom and Doc for including Jack, straight up, in the decision.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ok, so I'm crying already even though I read this already!!!!

 

I think Jack is brave to want to just take off like that all by himself. Of course he's putting Dawn in a tough position.

 

Can't wait for the next chapter! :) You know this is my favorite story of yours!! :2thumbs:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 11:41 AM, knotme said:
While beta-ing this story, I found these links

 

 

 

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/childALL/HealthProfessional/page8

 

http://www.all-kids.org/relapsequestions.html

 

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/120/14/2807.full

 

that helped me understand what Jack is facing. Maybe this story has oversensitized me to the fact—it may be nothing—that nowhere in any these links, even the site named "all kids," did I find the slightest nod to the notion that the kid should have a say in treatment. I realize that most kids with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia are younger than Jack, but still, kudos to Mom and Doc for including Jack, straight up, in the decision.

Thank you for deepening my knowledge on this subject. As you know, your input is reflected in this chapter.
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 05/18/2014 02:39 AM, Lisa said:
Ok, so I'm crying already even though I read this already!!!!

 

I think Jack is brave to want to just take off like that all by himself. Of course he's putting Dawn in a tough position.

 

Can't wait for the next chapter! :) You know this is my favorite story of yours!! :2thumbs:

No, lol, i didn't know it was your fave, but glad to hear it :)
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have cried at the end of many stories. I teared up at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. I got misty when I finished Tuesdays with Morrie. Very rarely have I cried at the beginning of a story. I found myself instantly enamored with fifteen year old Jack Shaw who is facing the prospect of dying. At first Jack seemed older but it makes sense. I guess when you are dealing with a terminal illness, it forces you to mature faster than many. I felt strong emotions for each and everyone of the characters. A young man dealing with a terminal illness, his mother who is facing the possibility of losing her child and a young woman who has to watch her best friend slowly fade away. Death comes for all in the end but there is something downright unnerving about watching a child or someone very young succumb to death. I can't wait to read more. The dialogue was sharp. The author really captured the struggle of one accepting their fate while simultaneously being angry yet trying to stay strong for the people around them. What a cross Jack Shaw has to bear.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 07/25/2014 01:27 PM, Bryce Lee said:
I have cried at the end of many stories. I teared up at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. I got misty when I finished Tuesdays with Morrie. Very rarely have I cried at the beginning of a story. I found myself instantly enamored with fifteen year old Jack Shaw who is facing the prospect of dying. At first Jack seemed older but it makes sense. I guess when you are dealing with a terminal illness, it forces you to mature faster than many. I felt strong emotions for each and everyone of the characters. A young man dealing with a terminal illness, his mother who is facing the possibility of losing her child and a young woman who has to watch her best friend slowly fade away. Death comes for all in the end but there is something downright unnerving about watching a child or someone very young succumb to death. I can't wait to read more. The dialogue was sharp. The author really captured the struggle of one accepting their fate while simultaneously being angry yet trying to stay strong for the people around them. What a cross Jack Shaw has to bear.
Thank you, Bryce. Your comments are thoughtful and well expressed. I too have never been able to get through this chapter without tears. The moment that Jack is alone with Dawn and invites her to take his illness with a stoicism to match his own gets me every time. I honestly don’t know if that is fair to impose on Dawn, but no one asked Jack or Mrs. Shaw if any of what is happening is 'fair.'
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow! Really hits one in the solar plexus! You capture the young man so convincingly in his turmoil and in the determining of what he feels he has to do. This is pathos at its best. And having just lost my wife to cancer it is hitting me quite hard as I am myself still dealing with the grief and going through the stages your story outlines. Thanks for tackling this hard subject, but one that affects most of us deeply. Love your writing.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 7/28/2014 at 8:49 PM, Jaro_423 said:

Wow! Really hits one in the solar plexus! You capture the young man so convincingly in his turmoil and in the determining of what he feels he has to do. This is pathos at its best. And having just lost my wife to cancer it is hitting me quite hard as I am myself still dealing with the grief and going through the stages your story outlines. Thanks for tackling this hard subject, but one that affects most of us deeply. Love your writing.

Oh man, I am sorry for your loss. If there is anything you would like to talk about, or anything I can do, please send me a PM.

Thank you for your kinds words.

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment

As a mom, this was one tough opening chapter. So very well written and at the same time heart wrenching. My youngest was born with a heart murmur (very minor) and even though it wasn't dangerous or even an inconvenience for her, I will always remember that day when she was just two days old and the doctor told me. My world almost collapsed.

 

For Jack, his journey has been so much worse, with death as a constant companion at his side for years. I can understand his reason for running to spare everyone an outdrawn loss. Quick and eady is better... But isn't he running from himself? If he doesn't see how the ones he loves are affected by hus remission, he doesn't have to face his own feelings either. Just hope he finds his way in time. There is still hope.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 6/15/2015 at 3:25 AM, Puppilull said:

As a mom, this was one tough opening chapter. So very well written and at the same time heart wrenching. My youngest was born with a heart murmur (very minor) and even though it wasn't dangerous or even an inconvenience for her, I will always remember that day when she was just two days old and the doctor told me. My world almost collapsed.

 

For Jack, his journey has been so much worse, with death as a constant companion at his side for years. I can understand his reason for running to spare everyone an outdrawn loss. Quick and eady is better... But isn't he running from himself? If he doesn't see how the ones he loves are affected by hus remission, he doesn't have to face his own feelings either. Just hope he finds his way in time. There is still hope.

Thank you, Pullilull! I tried to provide a warning in the prologue that things are going to be tough for us 'moms' out there. This book is certainly told from the POV of youth and inexperience, and most of that turns out to be good.

I think you are so very perceptive to understand intuitively what Jack's motivations for running away are – at least in how they relate to his family and best friend. As for your second comment about running away from himself…well, I better save that to talk about in your chapter 2 review!

Thanks for your support. It's always appreciated! :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I read this chapter once, months ago. I felt so sad at it, that I chose to stop reading. But I've come back to it, because I remembered how compelling it felt. I can't exactly ignore the story. But maybe Jack is right. Maybe I just had to walk away. In which case, am I really worthy to read the rest?

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 1/21/2016 at 4:55 AM, Parker Owens said:

I read this chapter once, months ago. I felt so sad at it, that I chose to stop reading. But I've come back to it, because I remembered how compelling it felt. I can't exactly ignore the story. But maybe Jack is right. Maybe I just had to walk away. In which case, am I really worthy to read the rest?

Thanks, Parker. Bryce mentioned in his review about crying right at chapter one of this novel, so I can relate to your sentiments. It was tough to write this opening segment as well, but hopefully you will find Jack's spirit and refusal to buy into the 'self-pity' BS is strong enough to carry you onto chapter 2.

Thanks again!

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2
Link to comment

It's heartbreaking. I mean this has been going on for years, and to begin at the age of seven, gosh... :(

 

I can certainly see where Jack is coming from. Why cry when you've been through this so many times? Would it not be better to not give a damn? So I can definitely see how he would want to leave his family and friends behind.

 

AC, I really love this first chapter, thank you! :hug:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 03/08/2016 10:59 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

It's heartbreaking. I mean this has been going on for years, and to begin at the age of seven, gosh... :(

 

I can certainly see where Jack is coming from. Why cry when you've been through this so many times? Would it not be better to not give a damn? So I can definitely see how he would want to leave his family and friends behind.

 

AC, I really love this first chapter, thank you! :hug:

Thanks, Drew! This story is not all gloom and doom, so I hope you decide to keep reading. I appreciate the support, and the 'likes.' ;)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..