Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 2,422 Words
  • 2,152 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dignity - a novel - 15. Chapter 15: Gilded

Chapter 15: Gilded

 

Fucking school, I hate it!

The last bell rang, and all the dweebs ran for the hills, except for the jocks and cheerleaders, who ran for the fields, LMFAO!

Ah. Whatever.

At least the corridors are quiet now. Light streaks in at a sharp angle and glints off the ugly and highly waxed floors. On the bulletin boards are cutouts of turkeys and pilgrims. Everywhere I turn, the colors are orange and yellow and brown, and they seem to pretty much match my autumnal mood.

I get lost in a thought. The rhythm of my shoes seem to beat out a time for it, namely, that Jack probably won't be around after Christmas. But, how will I know? Will he text me a last message – a swan song in the form of 'this is the end, good bye, Dawn'? I don’t want to consider it, but maybe despite this Lincoln person, Jack will isolate himself; Jack will die alone, as he planned, orange ribbons and all, everywhere around him.

Isn't it Salinger who says something like: "It would take forever to unwrite all the world's 'fuck yous!'"

I get to the principal's office. Funny, but the inner and outer doors both stand wide open; I can see straight back and through his office window.

"Hello?" I enter. The waiting room is empty.

"Hello?" I enter the office. No one.

He said to be here, the jerk.

On the wall are diplomas with large foil 'roundels,' LOL. Suddenly their glinting and show-off gold reminds me of the 4th grade. We too used to get gold stars for A's on our spelling tests, and I guess, ultimately, these flashy and crinkly-edged seals are the supreme boats of 'a good student.'

The notion sorta makes me sick.

I look at one by getting real close. Through the reflection of the glass, I read: "Cornell University…Master's Degree in Child Development."

"Humph," I scoff.

I move to the next one: "Purdue University…Bachelor's Degree in Child Psychology and Education."

'Child psychology,' I think to myself. 'What a load of hooey!'

"Ah, Dawn." Principal Voorhies strides in with a handkerchief still drying his hands. "Sit down," he tells me.

At his desk, his hands come out and lock fingers towards me over his old-fashioned blotter. His pupils are probing, and they make me squirm.

"So, Dawn – do you and your family have big plans for Thanksgiving next week?" His tone is annoyingly 'interested.'

"Nope," I say. "Same old, same old."

"Yes," he continues to sing like a clueless jape. "Traditions are good. It's the one day we follow a routine, because we feel it is nice to reconnect with our family, and with our past."

I hope my eyes don’t show how pissed I am. I'm missing my laptop time to listen to this trite crap! Ugh, gag me with a Hallmark card.

"But…" his mood suddenly shifts. His glance turns cold and appraising. "Imagine how hard it will be on Jack's family next Thursday."

Bastard.

"Dawn, I do not believe anyone has given you a medical rundown – a briefing, as the doctors would call it – on how Jack's condition is ravaging his body. Leukemia means Jack's bone marrow is producing too many white blood cells, and they are mutated to seek out and destroy healthy tissue instead of fighting off infections as they normally do. Your friend's body is suffering. Five months now after learning he's out of remission – and untreated as it is – the leukemia is draining all his strength."

'Not all of it,' I think to myself.

Principal Voorhies stands and goes to his window.

"Do you know," he turns to me. "How it feels to be listless all the time? To be fatigued to the point where you can't think straight? Well, that is Jack now. He has horrible night sweats, the blood is pooling under his skin into lumps called 'purpura.' These show up under his arms, or on his neck. There are spider-web markings where blood vessels have collapsed, and because of the cancer, are dying."

"Mr. Voorhies – "

He cut me off, coming to stand next to my chair. "Fevers, delirium, shortness of breath…" his voice is rising in volume and intensity. "He bruises easily, and can bleed profusely if cut."

"Mr. Voorhies!" I shout. "Please. There's nothing I can do about Jack."

He inhales deeply, silently refuting my lie.

He sits on the corner of his desk, and asks very coolly, "Do you know what it is like to be a parent, Dawn?"

Is he serious? One awkward glance in his direction, and I know he is.

I shake my head 'no.'

"Dawn, it is scary as shit."

Now he gets my attention.

Voorhies goes on, "You wake up in the morning, and wonder 'Will she be ok?' You try to get through your workday without panicking that she hasn't texted you in a couple of hours. And all of it – all the fear and worry is like a paranoia that your child harbors a deep-seeded resentment against your helpless and bottomless love for them.

"To be a parent is to stand at a precipice every moment of every day and want your child to be ok, and to love you, and understand why you do the things you do."

Shit. He's gonna make me cry.

He shakes off the emotions he has just shown me by standing and adjusting the crease in his slacks. He begins to pace slightly. "How sad is that, Dawn? But, that's the way it has always been, and will ever be. The problem is often a misplaced sense of love within the young person. Do you know that I mean?"

"No, sir."

"Dawn, in my experience, fifteen-year-olds have a three-legged base to stand on. Do you know what I mean?"

Dweeb. He knows good and well I have no goddamn idea. I feel my eyes squinting as I say: "Sir?"

"It's like this – and this perspective is from my background, and from many years of teaching – one leg that people the age of you and Jack stand on is emotional maturity. This is an awareness that what they do as individuals can hurt others, and that this pain can mount up inside of them as others hurt us too.

"The second leg is a stubby little one – it's background experience. This is there to inform an intuitive notion as to why someone – or the self – is acting the way we see them do it. Without past experience, no one can tell the difference between a 'lash out,' and a cry for help, no one. And at your age, the experience level is very low indeed. That is natural.

"But, the third leg, that is ego – a growing desire to protect the innocence that our psyche still sees in us. The ego retains the vision of the pure form of us – of all of our potential – and sees it under attack from emotional bombardment. This attack is perceived as coming from 'outsiders,' and the ego is confused on how to deal with it by only using internal sources. This leg is all-important, for this struggle gives rise to the birth of empathy, or conversely, this is when empathy is suppressed and drowned under the weight of 'hurt feelings.'

"Love, Dawn – I'm saying that at this stage in your life, and deep within people your age, love is born. And if it is not born for the self, then it will never appear for any others either."

He stands at the window again. This time the early evening grayness seems to reach out and envelope him. He asks me, via the glass reflection, "Do you understand?"

I do. "Yes."

"Do you have love in your heart for Jack?"

"You know I do."

"Do you have love in your heart, for yourself, and for Jack's mom?"

I am still; I cannot move, because honestly, I do not know.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

The memorials by Jack's house look weathered, and like they want to hole up for the coming winter. Moisture has seeped into several of the plastic covers shielding posters, and Jack's innocent face looks wet and blistered.

The breeze blows chill as I stop and stoop down in front of the set-up.

The fake flowers are in vases, and the stuffed animals – anything with orange on them – look sun-bleached and sad. Candles are lit and flicker in small votive holders. The big orange candles look like left over Halloween decorations, but I know they are not. These are in tall glass tubes like the kind in churches, but the bright orange wax is cut by the diagonal lines of black skeletons printed on the clear glass holders. These figures stand or dance – one per candleholder – and all have the same bold lettering beneath: "La Santisima Muerte" or "Most Holy Death."

My fingers go up to my lapel. I rip off my folded snippet of orange ribbon, and slowly bring it to the flame of Her, of Most Holy Death. The plastic fibers catch, and I almost let it singe me before I drop in the wax. There it continues to flame and become a second wick to the sacred fire of life.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Mrs. Shaw had looked surprised. A few minutes ago, she opened the door, and acted like there was some sort of mistake. It seemed she almost wanted to utter the words she would have a few months back: "Dawn! Why, Jack's not here." But then, she remembered, remembered that everything is different.

Now I stand in her living room, and my eyes drift over to the large picture window. I do not have to move to imagine the view Mrs. Shaw has from there. She can see the memorials; she can see the bleak days of the faded summer without Jack sinking into the on-rushing direness of winter.

"We're out of Snapple, Dawn. Is Pepsi ok?" Mrs. Shaw calls from the kitchen.

"Anything," I mumble.

She comes in with a glass of clinking ice. "Dawn, won't you sit down?" She presses the glass into my hand, and gestures to the couch.

I sit, and the coldness of the glass grows uncomfortable in my hand. But, I let the pain linger for a moment.

I don’t know what to say. I just stare down into the brown, bubbling liquid. The ice floats like lost chunks of slowly melting courage.

"Is your mom cooking for Thanksgiving?"

"Yes, she is."

"I…I don’t know what we'll do. Hamish and Christie will be coming home, but – maybe we'll go out."

Again, all I feel is the coldness burning my fingers – that, and my fear.

She continues, "Do you remember our Christmases here, Dawn? How Jack loved to sit before the tree and just stare. We always put it in the picture window so the neighbors can get green with envy."

"Yes. You have lovely Christmas trees."

She sighs. "I have to see what Jack's brother and sister want this year. But, I…I doubt we'll have one."

She inhales sharply, like a tear was getting caught and drawn back in.

"Dawn?" She pauses. I lift my attention to her. "Did you ever notice that I don’t call Jack sweetie, or baby, or other stuff like that?"

"Yeah, I guess, sort of."

"Do you know why?"

"No."

"He got sick so young, and came to the point of leaving us so early, it just didn’t seem dignified to reduce him to a mere word – I wouldn't do it to him in regards to 'honey,' or 'sweetheart,' and I wouldn’t do it to him in terms of 'sick,' or 'poor boy' either, because I love him."

I have to think to myself, 'Wo, Jack's mom is something like Holden Caulfield too…'

I tell her, "Maybe since Jack was so little, he never got your reasons – maybe what he got was that you called Hamish and Christie those things; maybe he thought, that he reasoned you did because you loved them better…"

Mrs. Shaw starts to cry and dig for a tissue. "Don’t tell me that, even if it’s the truth, because everything in life should have the time for an 'I'm sorry.'"

"I maybe shouldn’t speak for him, but Jack is not really sure if you love him or not."

"What..?"

"That – "

She cuts me off. "I show him, that I love him. I take care of him; I do everything for him."

"Isn’t that what the dad usually says: 'I don’t need to tell him, 'cause I show him.'"

Jack's mom sighs, then says with fresh resolution, "I've had to be father and mother to him. So I guess I can see some of how he feels."

Now I have the courage I need. My mind too is fueled with fresh resolve. I set the glass on the coffee table and stand. "Well, the reason I came here today is this: I have a proposition to make, but you must agree to my one rule. Ok?"

"Ok."

"Will you buy two plane tickets for L.A., one for you, and one for me?"

Mrs. Shaw slowly stands. A rolling quaver of suppressed emotions contorts her whole body. She bites her lip, and regains some composure, then she says with absolute, rock-hard dignity, "Yes."

"But," I warn her. "When we get there, you have to stand back. Let me find, and bring Jack to you. All right?"

I can hear an excited breath catch in her throat before she replies, "Yes. I will let you bring him to me."

"And maybe one more thing." I can barely keep my own voice from trembling. "If you get the chance, you will tell him, right? Tell him in words that you love him, and always have. So he knows it."

She nods, and appears to momentarily want to reach out and take my hand, but stops. Instead, she goes to the picture window.

Once there, she reaches into her pocket and pulls out her phone. She dials for a moment, then holds it up to her ear, and tilts her head towards me.

"Information – number for Delta Airlines."

She pivots her gaze to look out towards Jack's memorial, and a tear rides down her cheek. There it is gilded by the autumn light.

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The principal finally redeems himself in Dawn's eyes! I am impressed with Mrs. Shaw's self-restraint, though. I mean, for all she knows Jack died months ago... Her ability to act constructively in the fact of Dawn's revelation is pretty amazing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Fantastic, Dawn!! Thank God! Finally Jack's mom might see him! :)

 

As a best friend, I totally understand Dawn's loyalty and I applaud that. But as a mom, I would be a wreck not knowing if my sick child was alive or not. I loved the principal's speech. And it's so true - you worry all the time. When they're little you worry about different things, and when they're older you worry about bigger things like driving, peer pressure, etc. One of my good friends is going through hell right now b/c her nineteen-year-old son is addicted to heroin. A few months ago he finally agreed to go to this methadone clinic but he's still using. It's terrifying for her. So as a parent, we are always worrying about our kids.

 

Excellent chapter, AC! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2014 03:40 AM, Irritable1 said:
The principal finally redeems himself in Dawn's eyes! I am impressed with Mrs. Shaw's self-restraint, though. I mean, for all she knows Jack died months ago... Her ability to act constructively in the fact of Dawn's revelation is pretty amazing.
Mrs. Shaw is pretty amazing. I agree.
Link to comment
On 07/02/2014 05:25 AM, Lisa said:
Fantastic, Dawn!! Thank God! Finally Jack's mom might see him! :)

 

As a best friend, I totally understand Dawn's loyalty and I applaud that. But as a mom, I would be a wreck not knowing if my sick child was alive or not. I loved the principal's speech. And it's so true - you worry all the time. When they're little you worry about different things, and when they're older you worry about bigger things like driving, peer pressure, etc. One of my good friends is going through hell right now b/c her nineteen-year-old son is addicted to heroin. A few months ago he finally agreed to go to this methadone clinic but he's still using. It's terrifying for her. So as a parent, we are always worrying about our kids.

 

Excellent chapter, AC! :)

In all of my notes and outlines, this chapter was called 'Ground Zero,' and i hope now you can see why.

 

Thank you for your compliments and support of Principal's Vorhies' speech. It was quite emotional for me to write it.

Link to comment

Dawn is so amazing. I really thought after the principal's speech she was going to spill the beans on Jack, but her plan is so good and so right for all of them. She's fantastic. And Mrs Shaw is good to. She has guts. Jack is a lucky young man to have these two rooting for him. So glad Dawn has done this before it is too late. Love the story. Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2014 03:48 PM, Jaro_423 said:
Dawn is so amazing. I really thought after the principal's speech she was going to spill the beans on Jack, but her plan is so good and so right for all of them. She's fantastic. And Mrs Shaw is good to. She has guts. Jack is a lucky young man to have these two rooting for him. So glad Dawn has done this before it is too late. Love the story. Thanks.
Dawn must be in torment. She has converted, but she has no reason to believe that Jack will welcome her bringing his mom to take him home. Poor girl, but she is brave and trying to do what's best.
Link to comment

Tears again. I feel such heartbreak for all of them. They all have so much to lose. I felt hope in the last chapter when Jack grabbed the brass ring...hope I wasn't wrong to feel that. Cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/02/2014 05:51 AM, Headstall said:
Tears again. I feel such heartbreak for all of them. They all have so much to lose. I felt hope in the last chapter when Jack grabbed the brass ring...hope I wasn't wrong to feel that. Cheers...Gary
The brass ring was a late arrival in terms of him wearing it, but it winds up being the perfect metaphor for love of the type that can keep him grounded.
Link to comment

So, the third angle in the triangle child-sibling-parent. Families and relationships can be so hard and we can be so hung up on our view of the world that it blocks the truth. The tears of hope show mrs Shaw loves Jack. But I don't really understand her reasoning for not using terms of endearment. To me, it's almost like she was preparing to lose him. A form of distancing herself. Otherwise, I would think a seriously sick child needs more affection. Not less.

 

My plan to just read isn't working. I get to many thoughts in my head reading this...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/26/2015 06:06 AM, Puppilull said:

So, the third angle in the triangle child-sibling-parent. Families and relationships can be so hard and we can be so hung up on our view of the world that it blocks the truth. The tears of hope show mrs Shaw loves Jack. But I don't really understand her reasoning for not using terms of endearment. To me, it's almost like she was preparing to lose him. A form of distancing herself. Otherwise, I would think a seriously sick child needs more affection. Not less.

 

My plan to just read isn't working. I get to many thoughts in my head reading this...

Well, I take Mrs. Shaw at her word when she relays her motivations for not 'baby-talking' Jack, however, your deeper take on it – that she's also using it as a form of shield against the thought of losing him – rings beautifully true to me. None of it's easy. And you are so right that we can become enmeshed in the daily grind of our lives to the point where the truth seems to slip to the background.

 

I'm selfishly glad you cannot resist placing your chapter thoughts into reviews, because, Puppilull, I love them! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..