Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 360 Words
  • 561 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Thousandth Regiment - 10. "Your straggly seats, do blaze like leopard spots"

.

This is the first poem (and perhaps the last) I feel needs an opening comment. It’s an angry and frustrated poem.

Although we think of WW1 as a grueling contest of attrition, stalemated across trench lines, it did not start that way. On the Western Front, German infantry initially pushed to within 19 miles of their objective, within shelling range of Paris. The order to begin sieging the French capital never came, and soon British and French troops pushed the Germans back.

Eventually the offensive ground to a halt and the British and French dug in with defensive trenches. For someone like Hans, fed the line that this would be a quick war measured in weeks, not years, the deadly degrading of the conflict to trench warfare raised feelings of resentment.

This is the background you need to keep in mind proceeding into the poem.

                             

                              ---

 

10. Ihr dürren Plätze, grell wie Leoparden,

Das gelbe Fell mit Flecken Wald besät,

Schwefel- und Phosphorrauch sind eure Narden,

Die Tag für Tag um eure Lenden weht.

 

Und immer toben Schlachten über euch

Mit schwerem Schwall von stürmenden Soldaten,

Und immer schlagen zündende Granaten

Die Zähne tief in Heide und Gesträuch.

 

Ihr kleines Frankreich oder Englands Täler,

Wo der verborgene Krieg schon hallend naht,

Ihr Flächen Ödland ohne Vieh und Korn,

 

Tragt schon die Runenschrift von unsrem Zorn,

Der aufgerißnen Schollen brandige Mäler

Und tief im Schoß die schwere Eisensaat.

 

                              ---

 

10. Your straggly seats, do blaze like leopard spots,

The jaundiced hide stubbled with pin trees,

While sulfur- phosphor's your noxious unguent,

Wafting day after day from your private parts.

 

And ever slaughter runs riot over you

With ponderous surges of smoking soldiers,

And always bleat the firing of grenades

From those teeth-deep in heather and shrubbery.

 

Your "little valleys" of France and England,

Where already echoes the entrenched war,

Are barren wastelands not fit for cows or grain.

 

Conceive in ruins then with the fruit of our wrath,

The torn-open gangrenous clods multiply,

Laid heavily in womb with iron seed-corn.

                             

                              ---

 

 

_

Copyright © 2019 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Sad 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you for the opening comment. I agree, this is an angry and frustrated poem. It reads very martial and when I read it the first time, I was shocked. But then I started to put it in context to the volume of poems he wrote and tried to hold my "emotional ear" a little back. I think, he describes very blunt, what he sees and did not mask the cruelty he recognizes and hears. His other poems make clear -- at least for me -- that he sawe humans as humans and the horror of war crashing down over all of them equally.

Thank you again for your efford my dear friend.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

Thank you for the opening comment. I agree, this is an angry and frustrated poem. It reads very martial and when I read it the first time, I was shocked. But then I started to put it in context to the volume of poems he wrote and tried to hold my "emotional ear" a little back. I think, he describes very blunt, what he sees and did not mask the cruelty he recognizes and hears. His other poems make clear -- at least for me -- that he sawe humans as humans and the horror of war crashing down over all of them equally.

Thank you again for your efford my dear friend.

Thank you, Lyssa. I agree that this poem in the context of all the others still speaks of a collective "we" on all sides of the conflict. Nevertheless, the switching of the war from a a quick series of moves and countermoves to a protracted game of Russian roulette had to affect all soldiers equally. Even though he derides the higher-up for the war in general, and the decision to dig in, I know he still understands the "other side" is made up of his classic "we" too.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts on this challenging poem.    

  • Love 1
Link to comment

So many images here recall the Western Front: the stink of war in the trenches, the endless churning of blasted mud, and the thousands of dead men planted with the brilliantly described “iron seed corn.” The casualties were on a scale we cannot begin to grasp now, a hundred years hence. Hans’ anger and bitterness are hardly out of place in such a setting. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/19/2019 at 2:31 PM, Parker Owens said:

So many images here recall the Western Front: the stink of war in the trenches, the endless churning of blasted mud, and the thousands of dead men planted with the brilliantly described “iron seed corn.” The casualties were on a scale we cannot begin to grasp now, a hundred years hence. Hans’ anger and bitterness are hardly out of place in such a setting. 

Thank you, Parker. With this poem, there is a turning point in the collection. I'm sure the morphing of the war into a protracted one turned Hans' mind to a spiritual seeking of "why." From this point on, many of the poems speak to a vision of a post-war world where democracy would fly its colors instead of kings.  

Thank you again for reading and commenting on this poem. I appreciate it

Edited by AC Benus
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..