Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 239 Words
  • 645 Views
  • 6 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Thousandth Regiment - 33. "Death carves its inflamed characters deep in us"

.

32. Tief grub der Tod in uns die roten Zeichen

Und reißt uns heiß aus dem Gebrüll der Schlacht

Und ließ uns zucken, bluten, wimmern, bleichen.

Nun kriechen wir durch die verhängte Nacht,

 

Ein langer, müder, hoffnungsloser Zug,

Auf den die fremden Sterne klirrend schnein,

Und jeder hört den Jammer, der ihn schlug,

Hell aus dem Krampf zerfleischter Brüder schrein.

 

Man wird uns hastig waschen und verbinden

Und auf Matratzen legen Mann an Mann –

Schon kriecht uns Schwäche aufwärts grausig kalt.

 

Wir kommen wohl zu spät beim Leben an,

Und manchen Kamrad wird man gar nicht finden!

Und einsam röchelt er im feuchten Wald.

 

                              ---

 

32. Death carves its inflamed characters deep in us

And severs us mad from the battle's blast,

Leaving us convulsed, blood-let, moaning, fading.

Now we claw through the imposed dark of night,

 

A lengthy, weary, hopeless train on which

Alien stars snow with a jangling cold,

And all can hear the misery that struck him

Fading coffin-deep from his torn brothers.

 

Somehow we'll get washed hastily, then stitched up

And floored on mattresses by twos – man to man –

Where weakness crawls to chill us gruesomely.

 

Although we're probably too far gone to save,

Think of our comrades who won't be found at all.

Lonely sounds their death rattle from the damp woods.

 

                              ---

 

 

 

_

Copyright © 2019 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Sad 6
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The cry of the wounded soldier is translated so to tear my heart asunder. Again, Hans writes for soldiers on all sides and in every age. The pain follows these words down the decades. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Those pictures are more than painful for my inner eye, they transport the hopelessness and the torture of the ones, lost and wounded left in the woods.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/11/2019 at 2:15 PM, Parker Owens said:

The cry of the wounded soldier is translated so to tear my heart asunder. Again, Hans writes for soldiers on all sides and in every age. The pain follows these words down the decades. 

Thank you, Parker. I completely agree 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/19/2019 at 3:40 AM, Lyssa said:

Those pictures are more than painful for my inner eye, they transport the hopelessness and the torture of the ones, lost and wounded left in the woods.

Thank you, Lyssa. Yes, the sound and even the damp is conveyed by the poet in a few simple words

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..