Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 217 Words
  • 707 Views
  • 6 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Thousandth Regiment - 11. "O warm-spice mercy in a moving dress!"

.

11. O sanfte Anmut in bewegtem Kleid!

O Frauen, die sich in den Abend schmiegen!

Die Straßen find wie träumerische Wiegen

Erfüllt mit lauer, blauer Zärtlichkeit.

 

Wir aber müssen dumpf die Nacht verliegen,

Kaserneneingezwängt und stickend nah,

Dunstüberbrütet und besät mit Fliegen,

Und fühlen nur: Ich, Staub und Kot, bin da!

 

Und unsre junge Brust voll Blut und Rosen,

Die noch in Kindschaft spielerisch vibriert,

Saugt Qual und Qualm in jähen Stößen ein.

 

Und langsam macht den Müden, Atemlosen,

Der Schritt der Wache, die vorbei marschiert,

In stillem Takt die armen Augen klein.

 

                              ---

 

11. O warm-spice mercy in a moving dress!

O womanhood, you slouch embracing evening!

The hips of the streets sway like dreaming cribs

Stuffed with limpid, blue-bruised tenderness.

 

But we're obliged to lie dumb in the night,

Barracks hooked in and embroidered tightly closed

Incubating a vapor laced with flies

Left for us to feel: I, shit and mud, am stuck!

 

But our young chests filled with blood and roses

Still playfully oscillate in our childhood,

Suckling setbacks and smoke in sudden hits.

 

And which sluggishly makes the languid, breathless,

While the timed pace of the watch, trudging past,

Leaves exhausted eyes to mutely narrow.

 

                             ---

 

 

_

Copyright © 2019 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Impressive, strong images in brutal contrasts. You translated them perfectly. It seems almost as if they were prisoners instead of soldiers -prisoners of a false believe a false idea of obedience, a false system. And in this mud, dust and blood, his humanity is stripped bare. Even though the contrast of the first two stanzas seem to have more volume, to my opinion the last two stanzas give also a deep impression, maybe a deeper one, because of the quieter dark sound, they generate in my ear at least. Your achievment to bring this effect from German into English is enormous. Hammer! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Their lives are slowly being sucked from them. A bullet may be better.  This is beautiful work, but i am sorry in a way, he ever had to write them.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

The civilian life likened to a seductive woman; the soldiers’ lives made into a prim, strait-laced and embroidered one - this is brilliant imagery and metaphorical poetry. So too is Hans’ appeal to the relative innocence of the men in the trenches, who, until recent time were boys in the bloom of their youth. Let me repeat my thanks to you for your work translating these poems. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Lyssa said:

Impressive, strong images in brutal contrasts. You translated them perfectly. It seems almost as if they were prisoners instead of soldiers -prisoners of a false believe a false idea of obedience, a false system. And in this mud, dust and blood, his humanity is stripped bare. Even though the contrast of the first two stanzas seem to have more volume, to my opinion the last two stanzas give also a deep impression, maybe a deeper one, because of the quieter dark sound, they generate in my ear at least. Your achievement to bring this effect from German into English is enormous. Hammer! 

Thank you, Lyssa. You mention the contrast between the first two stanzas and the last two. Ehrenbaum-Degele was a master of the Sonnet form -- which each of these thirty-eight "Regiment" poems are -- and used the inherent power of the pivot point to great effect. At first, when I dug into Hans' non-war poems, I was fairly astounded to see him construct Sonnets as I do: challenging opening Quatrains falling to clear-cut passages after the pivot point. In some ways, he and I seem to be poetic brothers, so I am committed to doing my best for his work. 

Thank you, as always, for introducing me to him in the first place. Yay for our mutual friend Else!     

 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Their lives are slowly being sucked from them. A bullet may be better.  This is beautiful work, but i am sorry in a way, he ever had to write them.

Thank you, Tim. What you mention here is an element shown breathtakingly clear in later poems. I feel writing these poems helped Hans cope, and as we poets know, this can be a great lifeline in an otherwise bleak existence. 

Thank you for reading and commenting on these Regiment poems. I really do appreciate it

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/23/2019 at 4:47 AM, Parker Owens said:

The civilian life likened to a seductive woman; the soldiers’ lives made into a prim, strait-laced and embroidered one - this is brilliant imagery and metaphorical poetry. So too is Hans’ appeal to the relative innocence of the men in the trenches, who, until recent time were boys in the bloom of their youth. Let me repeat my thanks to you for your work translating these poems. 

Thank you, Parker. I like how you mention the "Barracks hooked in and embroidered tightly closed." I agree it's extraordinary poetry, the depth of which several serious papers could be written. And yes, the "chests filled with blood and roses" also concisely places the men in their time of life. I doubt there has ever been much difference between maturing teenage-boy soldiers throughout history. The experiences all seems to go into them with too much ease, only to come out later as large personal issues. Sad, but this is what war does to people. 

Thank you for reading and commenting. I always appreciate it    

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..