Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 2,879 Words
  • 966 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unafraid – Novella Four - 5. Part 6: Dona Nobis Pacem

Simon struggles with his heavy penance, but has one last piece of the puzzle to fit in.

Part 6: Dona Nobis Pacem

 

In my head I tally 22 sets of Hail Marys, and Our Fathers, and in my heart, I still long for the descent of the Holy Spirit to absolve me; a feeling like I used to get, so I press on.

'Our Father…'

I overcame my fear of Gay people a few years back, thanks to Greg and Joey, who are great guys, and who are probably just as regular as any Gay person. All the generous and liberal thoughts I could come up with and feel okay about them in my head were called into question when I figured out that I was 'that way' too. Now, my heart is confused, and my brain aches as well. I guess I just need to accept myself the way I accept them, but…nobody is around to help me do it. No one is around that I can feel completely safe with, so it's hard.

In the filtered light from the vestry door, I catch a shadow pull away. It is Father Strathmore, down to his black shirt and trousers now, and I suppose he is checking up on me. He wants to ensure I know he is watching, watching to safeguard that I am suffering through the extra-heavy penance he dolled out.

'Hail Mary…'

As he moves away, the freed light of the vestry strikes the angled wall to the side of the high altar. Shards of reddened light streak up the island with its column, and intensify the red drops of blood from the lamb's breast. But, I blink.

Unaccountably the same moody light heightens a feature I had overlooked before.

Over the lambs' heads are an opposing pair of white doves. The vestry light, far from obscuring their pure whiteness in blood color, seems to shed a soft blue stillness on them. They fly above His bleeding body in detachment, and in pace.

Like a dove with her olive branch, I realize maybe there was something useful in my meeting with Sister Jodie this morning.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

I knocked on the open door. I heard a "Yes," then went down the short hallway of my principal's office, thinking maybe this too was a mistake.

I got to the opening where I could see her at her desk, and she could see who I was.

"Simon?" She shot a pettish glance at her watch. "Don’t you have to get ready for Confession this morning?"

"Yes, Sister. I do. But, I was…"

My pause made her quip: "Yes?" But she soon softened. "Sit down. You want to talk?"

I nodded, sat and then didn’t know where to begin.

"How are you finding your school work?"

"Um, good."

"Miss Skalicky tells me you are excelling in Reading Class."

I perked up. "Yes. I love the stories, and how they make me think of new stuff, and the way other people feel."

Sister Jodie appeared to enjoy my enthusiasm. "Good, and I'd say you are mature enough now, Simon, to start thinking of stories as literature. No one who can touch his or her fellow humans' heart through a tale can be considered ever truly dead."

"Schoolwork is not on my mind, Sister."

She sighed, and folded her hands on her desk. The light from the window behind her again edged out the folds of her habit in a faint halo. "Then, what? You can tell me."

"I don’t…I am uncomfortable with face-to-face Confession."

"Why..?"

I shrugged.

She was bit peeved. "Well, Simon. We can't exactly 'talk' if you don’t have anything to say."

Hesitatingly, I asked, "Did Sister Tatiana tell you what she suspected is 'wrong' with me?"

Sister Jodie pulled back her hands, along with her torso. Her glasses momentarily glinted a blankness back to me. She spoke resolutely, "There is nothing wrong with you, Simon. Is that what's been on your mind?"

"Not exactly."

"Then, what?"

"It's just – it's hard. Nothing about this year has been easy." I don’t want to cry about it – boys my age shouldn't cry – so I sniffle up, and stiffen my spine against the curving plastic back of the stacking chair.

Sister Jodie became a bit odd. A cloud seemed to pass over her a moment, then her hands came forward. She laid them flat, up-palmed, on her desk blotter and reaching towards me.

"I know, Simon. I know that nothing's the same now. The person you are today can never be the Simon who was a boy last year. So, tell me, what’s on your mind."

I couldn’t reveal to her that Father Strathmore touched me; I couldn’t tell her about Terry and the fort; I couldn't convey how I felt in my heart about 'things,' so what could I say?

"I prefer the old days. I liked it when my 'sins' could be more private, and, I don’t know, just between God and me."

"Oh, Simon. But now is a wonderful time in the Church. She is clothed in the themes of newness and approachability. The mass is not in Latin anymore, the priest faces the congregation while consecrating the bread and wine, and most importantly, the Church is open because of the inclusive nature of the Second Vatican Council."

She went on, sitting back on her seat some. "The Church wants to be open and bold; wants to be proud of who She is, and how She helps people all around the world better understand their personal relationship with God, and how to use that to do good works for one another."

I don’t hide my skepticism. "So, the 'old' Church being Sister Tatiana and Monsignor Helfgott?" In my heart, I doubt that Father Strathmore's actions – locking Gina in the closet, his demanding of shame and physical contact from me – constitutes a policy shift.

I upset her. Her nervous gaze flickered; she bit her lip, and slowly gathered herself.

"Simon, you know that as a nun, I cannot interfere between anyone and his or her Confessor. I…I…can tell you frankly, that Sister Tatiana and Father Strathmore were sent to Saint Lazarus parish to so some 'clean up.' Please don’t ask me for details, but on a personal level, between you and me, I was horrified by the way Sister Tatiana treated you, Simon."

She swallowed down long and hard before asking, "Has Father Strathmore been, 'inappropriate' with you? Please know that you can trust me."

I merely trained my sight to stay locked onto my hands in my lap.

"Just…" she continued. "Just…nod your head, Simon. And that will be enough."

I do nod, slightly. Sister Jodie inhaled and stood. For a half-second I thought she going to kick me out. Instead, she walked to the window, watched me in reflection, and quietly asked, "Are you all right? Did, did he…hurt…you?"

"No, he didn't hurt me. I…I just confessed some, you know, personal stuff – feelings – and then he put his hand on my leg. But it was weird, because, I don’t know – "

She stopped me. "All right, Simon. I think I understand." She turned to me; her hands played a torment with one another at the waistline of her skirt. "And, I am very sorry it happened."

She waved me over, so I stood, and together we watched quietly over the deserted play yard.

"So, did Sister T tell you what is wrong with me?"

"There is nothing wrong with you, Simon. Why do you live in fear?"

"With all due respect, Sister, please don’t avoid the question. Did Sister Tatiana say she thought…I would become…please don’t make me say it."

The tension in her face fell; she bit her lip again, but in another moment, she inhaled deeply. "Simon, do you recall, way back when, your 2nd grade class was asked to sing at Christmas mass?"

"Yes," I slowly smiled. "I remember. The choir loft seemed so high, and we were standing on bleachers too so our voices could carry to every corner."

She tentatively draped her arm across my back.

"Yes," she hugged me slightly, and then her breath was low and bated as she continued. "But, do you remember practicing for it?"

She grinned, and the corners of her eyes lifted behind her Hippie glasses in some shade of happy recollection.

"Umm…" I started.

"We met every afternoon for a week in the library, practicing."

"I remember," I reassured her.

"Simon, I was at the piano, and your whole class was arrayed around me, sitting on the floor. When I played and heard how tentative everyone was, I was saddened. Singing is supposed to be like life is to us. I mean, joyous, free and beautiful.

"All your classmates were shy and mumbling the lyrics, and then I saw you.

"You, Simon – you were lit up. You felt the words, and your soul was aglow as you sang out with a voice unafraid."

She sniffled back.

"And what's more, Simon – you did it with a big grin and open-mouthed. Any chance you remember that, Simon?"

I thought a moment, and told her what I did recall. "You had me stand up. You had me stand by the piano as we went over the song again, and you told everyone 'Sing like Simon does.' That much I remember."

She squeezed my shoulder a bit harder, and laughed. "I didn’t do it to embarrass you. I did it to show your classmates how I wanted them to feel and be expressive: fearlessly!"

My principal removed her arm, leaving an instantly cooling void across the top of my shoulders. She slowly bit her lip again, and some moisture gathered behind the round lenses of her eyewear.

"Whatever you are going through right now, Simon, just keep in mind, God did not make you, or me, or anyone else on this Earth to be miserable. He wants us all to do the best we can for each other, and move the world closer to His plan for us."

Her tears fell freely.

"Simon, He wants all of us to live open-mouthed, and joyously." She paused. "Do you believe me, Simon?"

My glance drifts over the unpeopled play yard.

"I want to believe it, Sister."

"We all must seek out God's plan for us, and do it unafraid."

"So, God doesn't hate? He doesn't hate me?"

"Oh no, Simon. Perhaps from amongst all the young people God has blessed me to see pass through my life, God's Grace shines the most beautifully through you."

She suddenly whipped off her brass-rimmed glasses and wiped her tears, laughing. "But, remember – no favoritism, ok?"

"Yes, Sister. I know. And, thank you."

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

All is quiet in the church.

'Hair Mary, full of grace…'

I've done 36 pair now, but feel no closer to my goal.

The shadow in the vestry door moves again. He is still ensuring that I complete my assigned self-punishment, but in my mind I consider something else.

Namely, that my good friend and classmate Jodie, and our principal, Sister Jodie, are more alike than in simply what they are called. Both have an openness about them, and both are moving forward into the light of honesty, and towards 'love.' That's truly modern! There are no dark corners in their world-views.

But shadows seem to be the only place Terry and Father Strathmore are comfortable in.

Terry's double attitude is like his being naturally left handed. It's only through the conditioning of fear and ignorance from his teachers – just to suit their ideas of 'normal' – they forced him to live right handed, because it is easier on them, and in so doing, wind up slapping God in His face. It's dumb, because in private and away from their judgments, of course he's going to be himself. Who wouldn't?

I lift my head, and open my eyes. The one burning candle and its red light hits my slowly adjusting vision, and finally I realize what exactly it is about face-to-face Confession that makes me so uncomfortable. It's being confronted with the undeniable form of another person – a man – for that's what a priest is, a person.

'Our Father, who art…'

We are asked to 'lift up our hearts to the Lord,' but once we do, once we are fully able to be ourselves, fearless and free of spirit to our Creator, why do we then need a priest to come between us?

Trying to connect to God through another man is like trying to see Him through a frosted pane of glass. The image of the divine is distorted by that man's own personal faults. The image of God that comes across looks to us to be oddly human, temperamental, and flawed; but He's not supposed to be, is he?

And as for 'hell' not being a place on Earth, and a place of continual torment to a living mind, I just consider that a father's love is tied to notions of being unconditional and all forgiving. Are we to believe a human can love more deeply than God? Threatening hell for who a person loves is a stupid notion. It's just the voice of a scared group of people damning others for an attribute He gave them; one He gave to me. The hatred is Man's doing, and clearly so, because like forcing a southpaw to use his right hand, it's random, it’s arbitrary, and it's ignorantly cruel.

'Hair Mary, full of grace…'

I suddenly pity them down to the center of my very core – Terry and Father Strathmore, and everyone like them – because they carry their own hell in their hearts. In their inner life, they dwell in the shadows of small claustrophobic rooms, which are closed-off and form dark little chambers only penned in by fear.

A gasp catches in my throat; my hands part.

I stop rattling off the meaningless string of words in my head.

I do pity those people, and I will not let myself fall into the same pit they have tossed themselves, because God does not want that for us.

Sister Jodie is right. God wants us to live open-mouthed and unafraid.

A glance at the lamb paintings, and at the doves, makes me refold my hands; makes me pray out loud.

"Dear Lord, please – I beg you – grant your peace upon their troubled minds, and let them see the true light of your Love."

And as I pray for them, and not for myself, the flat image of the pair of doves on the wall seems to take flight. They slowly but surely alight over my head and descend into my throbbing heart.

"Dear God, let them finally recognize that the love placed in them is a radiant shade of your Love, and came from nobody else but You. Amen."

I stand up and cross myself.

I exit the pew and begin to walk towards the front of the church.

The shadow in the vestry door moves.

I turn to my right at the head of the aisle, and begin heading for the door. As I pass by the sanctuary, I do not feel even the slightest urge to genuflect.

Father Strathmore storms out.

"Have you finished, young man!"

Some annoyed and holier-than-thou anger pings the church walls around me.

I don’t stop walking; I don’t look back. "I'm done," I tell him, and take delight that my voice is full of clear-ringing and joyful resolve.

As I head for the side exit of the church, the finial stanza of Terry's gloomy poem is in my mind.

 

'But you, tyrant that ever be

Your only demand is suicide –

To your hallow gift all decree

The shadow's pace that I long to hide.'

 

I push on the panic bar, and immediately the open blue sky, the sounds of birdsong, and the crush of spring blooms on the sweet-smelling air greet me like a foot-stomping girl. 'Where have you been so long,' she wants to know.

The church door closes and clicks behind me, and as I stand on the top step, I start to smile. My hands rise above my head for a moment, and then I pull my little green notebook from my back pocket.

I flip pages until I find Terry's shadow poem. I slowly rip it out, and in turn, I rip that green-ink-stained sheet into confetti and toss it to the wind.

Jogging down the granite steps, my sight drifts to the left and to the glorious Judas tree in full bloom close to the church door.

I walk away knowing the only thing I have to be contrite about is 'confessing' something I knew was placed into my heart by my Maker – and let's face it – Christ was right, it's God alone who is all-good.

This doubt on my part was the last wrong left to be righted. At the bottom of the steps, I turn on my heels and walk home in the opposite direction of school and of church, and do so buoyed by a clean conscience, and all the glories of Nature provided by Her awesome creator.

 

~

I would like to express how humble and grateful I feel for all of your support and reading of this novella - I would like to, but I have no concept on how to do my depth of gratitude justice. Thank you.
Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter brightened my day enormously, AC! Been raining here all day and my mood was about as low as the cloud cover--it does me so much good to see Simon coming out the other side of his uncertainties.

 

Sister Jodie is an example of what can be right with the spiritual side of our natures, but seldon is. To find a person who truly sees the nature of our existence is welcome, whatever their formal affiliation--and I think that those people all share the same brotherhood men were meant to enjoy before sectarianism reared its head.

 

With luck, Simon will withstand the hellish things I'm sure Father Strathmore will try to inflict upon him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Simon walking out of that church was truly exhilarating. He was leaving the prison that religion molded his mind into. It caused him to stagger and buckle but it couldn't take away the strength that God gave him. He is that dove now, spreading wings and taking flight, leaving behind the wrongness that made an innocent child doubt himself and HIS god. The realization that no mortal man should stand between him and his Savior is a powerful one. He understands Faith now and what God's love is meant to be. The fact that he can forgive and pray for those who would see him crushed in spirit and abused in body is a testament to the true good that God creates. It is Simon though who sets his common sense free...which in turn sets Simon free. He has stood on a threshold for a while now but has stepped over into a new world that is made for the perfection of Simon, a child of God but not a child of religion...not a victim....Brilliance again AC...Cheers and thanks...Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment

AC, what a thoughtful and deliberative story. Simon's revelation was beautifully done. It read like a psalm with his heartfelt pleas and eventual answers. The use of the doves was breath taking. Our buddy Simon is beginning to see his own path, not the one others have laid before him. I espescially enjoyed how he doesnt agree with all Sister Jodie says. There are no clear answers and right ways to know thyself. Quite a remarkable piece of work. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Youve given me lots to think about.

 

Cole

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I rejoice in the fact that Simon is done - done with the small minds of stunted people who are afraid of love and deny who they are. I'm proud of Sister Jodie for not ignoring the awful fact of 'inappropriate' behavior and for telling Simon that God made him and loves him and wants him to live unafraid and joyfully. Now we look forward to seeing what he does with his freedom.

PS The analogy of being left-handed is so very apt. More on that in the forum.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Sister Jodie is Simon's savior.

 

I loved the meaning of Simon ripping up Terry's poem and throwing it in the wind. He doesn't need the poem, and he certainly doesn't need Terry.

 

Excellent story, AC!!! :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/10/2014 12:53 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
This chapter brightened my day enormously, AC! Been raining here all day and my mood was about as low as the cloud cover--it does me so much good to see Simon coming out the other side of his uncertainties.

 

Sister Jodie is an example of what can be right with the spiritual side of our natures, but seldon is. To find a person who truly sees the nature of our existence is welcome, whatever their formal affiliation--and I think that those people all share the same brotherhood men were meant to enjoy before sectarianism reared its head.

 

With luck, Simon will withstand the hellish things I'm sure Father Strathmore will try to inflict upon him.

YES! Sister Jodie is the light for the Church to save itself, if it's not too late. She is such a central figure, for after all the Catholic church is just a collection of people, and it must grow to survive. And if it cannot do more good in the world than wrong, then it is time for it to depart. That's what Christ would want anyway - his teaching are about 'doing good works,' not condemning we do not have a right to judge in the first place.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/10/2014 02:23 PM, Headstall said:
Simon walking out of that church was truly exhilarating. He was leaving the prison that religion molded his mind into. It caused him to stagger and buckle but it couldn't take away the strength that God gave him. He is that dove now, spreading wings and taking flight, leaving behind the wrongness that made an innocent child doubt himself and HIS god. The realization that no mortal man should stand between him and his Savior is a powerful one. He understands Faith now and what God's love is meant to be. The fact that he can forgive and pray for those who would see him crushed in spirit and abused in body is a testament to the true good that God creates. It is Simon though who sets his common sense free...which in turn sets Simon free. He has stood on a threshold for a while now but has stepped over into a new world that is made for the perfection of Simon, a child of God but not a child of religion...not a victim....Brilliance again AC...Cheers and thanks...Gary
Thank you, Gary, for your incredible support of this project. I know it my not have been easy to get through at some stages, but the moment at the end makes it all worth the journey. The last scene was a monumentally scary moment for me to write, and needless to say I went into sitting down and actually have to compose it with great trepidation. All I can tell you is that at the end of the day, I reread the material and was stuck at how un-elaborate it was. It was just as if what I needed to be there was there for me to tap into, like Simon's prayer of forgiveness for the others.

 

Yes, he is the dove now – thank you for putting it so perfectly yourself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/11/2014 12:45 AM, Cole Matthews said:
AC, what a thoughtful and deliberative story. Simon's revelation was beautifully done. It read like a psalm with his heartfelt pleas and eventual answers. The use of the doves was breath taking. Our buddy Simon is beginning to see his own path, not the one others have laid before him. I espescially enjoyed how he doesnt agree with all Sister Jodie says. There are no clear answers and right ways to know thyself. Quite a remarkable piece of work. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Youve given me lots to think about.

 

Cole

Thank you, Cole! Your mentioning of the psalms fascinates me, as they evoke in my mind a nighttime setting and that spiritual sentry longing for the dawn. (It also doesn't hurt that David, who is credited with writing most of Psalms, was mostly pinning for Jonathan – but so was that young man for David, so they were happy together according to scripture)

 

You are quite right in interpreting Simon's leaving of the church building as illustration of his emotional leavening of the Church, period. He is strong enough now to know God is elsewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/11/2014 04:32 AM, Timothy M. said:
I rejoice in the fact that Simon is done - done with the small minds of stunted people who are afraid of love and deny who they are. I'm proud of Sister Jodie for not ignoring the awful fact of 'inappropriate' behavior and for telling Simon that God made him and loves him and wants him to live unafraid and joyfully. Now we look forward to seeing what he does with his freedom.

PS The analogy of being left-handed is so very apt. More on that in the forum.

The left-handed thing is so very very apt, I agree. On the forum you mention your grandmother forcing the local school to stop making southpaws pretend they are right handed in circa 1950. But, I can tell you that was extremely progressive of the school to adopt her demand. One of my classmates was forced to 'be right handed,' and that was in the US, in the 1970's, so the madness continued for at least a generation after 1950. It was my classmate's suffering, and the fact that in private he was always naturally using his left hand to write, inspired me on Terry.

 

As far an analogy with LGBT youth, I think it is about the most perfect one out there. And, there is even some arguable prejudice in the Bible against people born left handed, so again, it just goes show to that Neolithic-age bigotry has no place in the modern world, no matter what book the hate may appear in. Who's with me on that one..? :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 02:37 PM, Lisa said:
Sister Jodie is Simon's savior.

 

I loved the meaning of Simon ripping up Terry's poem and throwing it in the wind. He doesn't need the poem, and he certainly doesn't need Terry.

 

Excellent story, AC!!! :)

YES, he is free – and symbolically at least, he sets Terry's misery free too. Hopefully the young man in denial will find a way to let himself love as he was intended to. I suppose time will tell for Terry – but I pray for him too (and for all young people like him).

 

Thank you for all of your support, Lisa, on this entire series. I owe you a lot

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm Anglican, but I went to a Catholic secondary school. I remember my friends having made up stories to tell at confession, because a priest (not all) would press you until you had something to confess, then belittle you for it. I never understood that and was happy not to be a part of it.
For Simon it must've been doubly hard, when the person who's supposed to guide you, damns you instead. Good for him, not just accepting the narrow minded dogma without question, and remaining strong to be true to who he is. Yay for Sr. Jodie too, who helped him I'm sure put some things in perspective.
I love the way each novella ends on a note that emphasizes Silas' growth, self awareness and further acceptance of himself. Him ripping up that poem and throwing it up in the air, sets him free. in spite of it all he's found his own soul.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 10:16 AM, Defiance19 said:

I'm Anglican, but I went to a Catholic secondary school. I remember my friends having made up stories to tell at confession, because a priest (not all) would press you until you had something to confess, then belittle you for it. I never understood that and was happy not to be a part of it.

For Simon it must've been doubly hard, when the person who's supposed to guide you, damns you instead. Good for him, not just accepting the narrow minded dogma without question, and remaining strong to be true to who he is. Yay for Sr. Jodie too, who helped him I'm sure put some things in perspective.

I love the way each novella ends on a note that emphasizes Silas' growth, self awareness and further acceptance of himself. Him ripping up that poem and throwing it up in the air, sets him free. in spite of it all he's found his own soul.

The note thing was important. For me, part of the significance lies in the fact that Simon literally escapes the 'building' that is the church and emerges into the real world, it's freshness, and it's springtime blossoms to begin the springtime of his life.

 

Terry, stuck isolated in his literal wooden fort and limiting mindset, is in a prison. Simon escaped.

 

I also agree that Sr. Jodie did good. The Church needs people exactly like her, but sadly, all signs are her 'kind' were drummed out mercilessly in the John-Paul and Ratzinger years; that is something most Americans Catholics cannot understand in the slightest.

 

Thank you, Defiance19, for a thoughtful/thought-provoking review.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Novella 4 - Unafraid was certainly the most spiritual of The Judas Tree. (I haven't read 5 yet)

 

Because of that, it was the most uplifting, AC. The starkness of those who oppress and repress, while they preach against it and refuse to admit it, was very well and clearly etched. This tragic irony was center of #4, as it appeared to me.

 

Again, I'll need an emotional 'break' before proceeding to #5.
The Judas Tree is very, very good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 11:57 AM, skinnydragon said:

Novella 4 - Unafraid was certainly the most spiritual of The Judas Tree. (I haven't read 5 yet)

 

Because of that, it was the most uplifting, AC. The starkness of those who oppress and repress, while they preach against it and refuse to admit it, was very well and clearly etched. This tragic irony was center of #4, as it appeared to me.

 

Again, I'll need an emotional 'break' before proceeding to #5.

The Judas Tree is very, very good.

Thanks for another wonderful review. I can say that Simon is now out of the dark so to speak, at least the kind of dark that obscures Terry and the priest.

 

The final novella in the series will be more light-hearted, and centered on themes of friendship and finding community.

 

Thank you for your encouragement and support. It means the world to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I remember being in church once and no one was singing the mornings hymn. The priest stopped us and said loudly, God does not care if you can carry a tune, he does not care tht you are flat, only that you sing with joy, and openness and love. That's all I remember of my years in church. I don't believe, but I believe thats how we should try and live. I think Simon has learned that, too.

 

Wonderful chapter, incredible story.

 

Thanks AC

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/29/2016 08:11 PM, Mikiesboy said:

I remember being in church once and no one was singing the mornings hymn. The priest stopped us and said loudly, God does not care if you can carry a tune, he does not care tht you are flat, only that you sing with joy, and openness and love. That's all I remember of my years in church. I don't believe, but I believe thats how we should try and live. I think Simon has learned that, too.

 

Wonderful chapter, incredible story.

 

Thanks AC

Thank you, Tim, for another wonderful review. Openness of spirit is what Simon has found, and the Shadow's Pace will not hound him as it does Father Strathmore and Terry.

 

I'm glad you read this series, and I can promise the final installment – "The Codeword" – is a bit lighter, and certainly will have a sweet little reward at the end.

 

Thanks again!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..