Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 3,447 Words
  • 2,181 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Crestfallen - 13. A Broken Rib VS A Broken Heart?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have so much to be thankful for this year, and part of the reason for that is all of your amazing support! You guys rock! Stay safe, and I'll catch you soon!

Leaving Jayden’s house that night, I felt a strange sadness wash over me. It was almost as though my body…no my soul didn’t want to leave him. I couldn’t put into words exactly what I was feeling, I mean Henry has been my best friend for as long as I can remember, and yet I’ve never ever felt this way about him. Is this what a crush is like? Can a crush even be this powerful after only a week? I guess this is what Brooke meant when she said I hit high highs and low lows. The car ride home was a blur as I tried to connect the pieces of what was going on in my mind, and my heart.

As I walked into the basement from the garage I heard my mom’s gentle footsteps in the kitchen above me. I prepared myself for what could be coming my way and slowly made my way up the stairs.

“Brooke?” My mom called out

“No” I mumbled “It’s me”

“Aidan” my mom let out confused “You know you walk like such a girl”

“Float like a butterfly…” I grumbled

“Always excuses with you” she sighed “Why are you getting home this late anyway? Shouldn’t you be like in bed or something?”

“It’s a Saturday mom; I can stay up late if I want to. Besides I was working on a project for school” I lied

She let out a repulsed grunt “I hope you didn’t go anywhere important dressed like that. God you look so preppy. I raised you to have more class than that, you look like a typical white boy threw up on you.” she reprimanded “How are you ever going to get a girlfriend dressed like that?”

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes “For the last time mom, I’m gay!”

“Oh so you’re still in that phase.” she dismissed “I guess that explains the clothing choice. I can’t wait until you grow out of this whole “gay” phase, it’s just so…beneath us.”

“It’s not a phase mom!” I said starting to grow agitated “This is how I was born…you know, in your body!”

“Go ahead blame me!” she responded trying to play victim “Your poor innocent mom who works to give you the world. Some gratitude here and there would be nice you know?”

My instincts kicked in, and I had to restrain myself from yelling at her “Thank you” I bit through clenched teeth

“Ugh! If your father wasn’t so hell-bent on toughening you up we would’ve sent you to a real school, where you could learn things like manners.” She dismissed “You can be such a disappointment sometimes!”

“Sorry, I’ll try to improve” I forced out, minding my manners

“Well I would hope so” she began “Now get out of my face, I can’t handle being around you right now.”

“Yes ma’am” I obeyed running up the stairs. I did the best I could to put the whole confrontation behind me just like I’ve done a thousand times before. She acts like she does every little thing for me, and I get it her and dad make the money, yet still…she just doesn’t act like a mom…like it doesn’t matter to her if Brooke and I are okay. They’ve always been so cold to me…to us. My bad mood flowed on way past my shower and taunted me as I tried to sleep.

Suddenly I heard my phone buzz on the counter and quickly checked the waiting text message “Happy Song- BMTH, I better hear it Tuesday!” I smiled at the stupid little message, and suddenly the strain on my mind began to life. He remembered! He was actually paying attention to everything we spoke about tonight! The bad mood spun around and quickly shifted into a good one, one that began to propel me past the next few days. Sunday, and Monday went by faster than I ever could’ve imagined. I trained my ass off! I don’t think I’ve ever prepared myself harder for a fight in my life! I mean this was it! Jayden was going to be there! Plus my dad expects a showing…a brutal showing. Moments in school spent with Jayden felt magical, even when he would pull away or shut us out. After all I got a peak at what lies within, and I’m hell bent on setting it free.

As the Tuesday night gym began to fill up with outside fighters, my pride began to grow. This is MY house, and I’ll have to be killed before I’m dishonored in it. I threw headphones on, and placed myself in the corner away from all the action. I watched the fights go on, studying their mechanics and movements. They all seemed so robotic…so immature.

I finally got a glimpse of who I’ll be fighting and flashed back to my coaches words “He’s a weird fighter, loves to be on the move and strike using gymnastics. One punch will rock him, two will knock him out. You want to show off, ground and pound like there’s no tomorrow” A devious smile crossed my face as I realized just what I was capable of. This is no time to be a pussy; I was born for moments like this!

Finally I was called over and it was my time…it was show time!

I made my way over to my coaches and trainers who were eagerly awaiting the main event. Sure they had worked hard with all the other fighters at my gym, but no one was quite like me…they didn’t have the swagger or momentum.

As I began to strip down to my fighting shorts I looked over to the crowd and saw Ivy, Jayden and Brooke all sitting together, just a few rows down from my father and Perry. I held back a smile as I caught Jayden discreetly look at my chest. Suddenly my dad pounced down from the stands and came into my corner.

He grabbed a hold of my face and pulled it into his “Don’t forget what we spoke about! I want a submission tonight, and a bloody one at that. Show me you’re worthy of my investment!”

The hidden smile, and lovely thoughts once more ran from my fighter’s instinct and I felt myself beginning to turn. Henry gave me a good shove towards the ref and it was finally time for me to get a face full of Vaseline.

I heard the new walk up song begin, and let my body begin to take over. I ran up the short stairs and into the padded octagon. I closed my eyes and took in the moment; this is my house…my cage. Suddenly I got a strange overwhelming urge and ran to the side of the cage. “This fight’s over within the first round…I’m calling it.” My attention shifted from the bleachers to my opponent “No disrespect, but you know you’re not in the same league as me.” He rolled his eyes and made his way to his own corner. As I went to turn back to mine I caught a glimpse of a disapproving Jayden, sitting unhappy in the crowd. Whatever, as soon as he sees me fight he’ll understand; trash talk is all a part of the game.

“Fighting out of the blue corner” the announcer’s voice boomed “standing in at 5’4, and weighing in at 130 pounds. Fighting out of Vineland, New Jersey, the visitor, the challenger Artie “Flight” Harris!”

“And now your home fighter” The announcer began “Standing in at 5’5, weighing in at 150 pounds. Fighting out of Short Hills, New Jersey, the undefeated, infamous Aidan “Static” Taylor!”

The ref called us both to the center of the cage “I want a good clean fight tonight” he ordered “No cheap shots, no low blows. If you would like to touch gloves you can do so now”

Artie reached out his gloves and I met them with mine “I’m gonna make you eat those words” he spit half joking half serious

“I hope you do” I nodded respecting his guts.

Suddenly the bell rang and we were off. I stood back for the first few seconds and watched, as he fluidly darted around the cage. I took a step in and unloaded a fist but he jumped back and countered with a fast kick to my head. I stumbled back but caught my balance. So that’s how you fight? I faked a kick and forced him back into his corner. I faked a punch and he jumped back into the cage. Out of panic he went to throw another head kick but this time I caught it and threw it to the floor. He staggered even further back into the fencing, and with one punch I sent his head back into the steel. He fell down to the canvas, but stayed conscious. I gave him a second to recover before jumping onto him. He defended me well, and landed a few shots to my stomach. I gained a full mount over him, and slowly began to pick away at one of his ribs. I felt anger boil as I felt his knees come in and hit my back, I leaned in and landed an elbow to his face, smashing his nose. As blood began to spew I began to work faster. I concentrated hard on one of his ribs until I finally felt it begin to bend. Every now and then he would take a swipe at me, but every swipe was met with a small blow to his head. Like a fly caught in a spider’s web, he quickly began to submit to my moves. He learned that any retaliation was met with even more damage from me. I gave him a few more jabs to the face, making sure to do as much physical damage as I possibly could before I ended it. I looked down and saw the side of his chest slowly begin to turn black and blue. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the ref begin to lean in an attempt to break it up, and quickly flipped Artie. If my dad want’s a submission…he can have one. I forced my arm under his head and began to form a Gomorrah. Artie fought hard to free his head, but I used my spare arm to force his head into the corner of my arm. I slowly bent his will to meet mine, and made sure to make it obvious to the crowd. Finally I locked my arm and bent him back. As he went to tap he extended his arm, and a loud audible snap filled the room as his bruised rib finally gave way to the pressure. I let him loose and jumped up, dripping with his blood. I scaled the fence, and popped over to the other side.

I ran up towards my dad and we locked eyes “You wanted a battle, I gave you a war!” I shouted, I quickly slid my blood covered gloves across my forehead, spreading the blood to my face “Never forget this moment!” I growled, before returning to the cage.

I finally made it back into the cage and made my way over to Artie who was still lying on the ground in pain. At first his trainers pushed me back, but I forced my way through. I pushed my forehead against his “Hey kid, hell of a fight okay?”

“Get outta here” he forced out “You’re being a dick”

“I’m serious” I said, in a whisper “You took some serious punishment, when I heard I was fighting a gymnast I figured you would pass out after the first punch, but you held in tight. You even fought a submission with a broken nose, and bruised rib. It was an honor to get to fight you tonight…don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.” He slowly nodded his head understanding my message “We’ll meet again, I can feel it”

“Static” he called out as I began to walk away “They’re right about you. The whole tough guy thing is just an act, you’re a noble fighter.”

“Of course” I shrugged “Gotta get my name out there somehow”

The announcer grabbed a hold of my arm, and left Artie on the ground. “Our winner tonight by a brutal submission Aidan “Static” Taylor!”

“Hell yeah Aidan!” Henry shouted out. I broke loose of the announcer, and ran down to celebrate with my team “No!” Henry yelped “Wash the blood off first”

I looked down and laughed as my whole stomach was painted red. My trainers threw me a few towels, and I did my best to wipe it all off, yet a pink stain remained where all the blood had been.

“Well Aidan” My coach announced “I gotta give it to you. I said ground and pound, and you broke his freaking rib! Your potential is skyrocketing by the day!”

I nodded to his kind words “It’s because of you guys, we’re going to do a lot of amazing things together…I know it”

I looked over to the bleachers, and found that my dad had already left…typical, but when my eyes moved down to the lower seats I was surprised to find that Jayden was missing.

“Hey” I shouted moving towards Ivy and Brooke “Where’s Jayden?”

“He ran the hell out of here after you made your blood covered speech to Dad!” Brooke grumbled

“Can you blame him?” Ivy spit “What the hell were you thinking Aidan? That was a whole new level…even for you!”

“I had to make a point” I shrugged “He knew this wasn’t for weak stomachs.”

“No, he wasn’t grossed out” Ivy argued with fire growing in her voice “He was pissed!”

“At who?” I demanded

“You dumbass!” Brooke yelped

“Me? Why?” I sighed

Ivy and Brooke both shrugged “Probably because you made yourself look like an asshole!” Brooke shoved in.

I looked over to Perry “Take me to his house, we have to talk”

“Sir, I don’t know if…”

“that’s an order” I interrupted “This has to be settled tonight!”

As Perry went to get the car ready I quickly got changed and wiped as much blood away as I possibly could. I saw that my upper body and forehead were still stained pink, but didn’t care. I shook my head and pulled Brooke into the family car, without even saying goodbye to Ivy or Henry…They know me…they’ll understand.

“Aidan, what are you even planning to do?” Brooke demanded

“Don’t worry about that” I mumbled

“This is exactly the shit I’m talking about when I say you act out of emotions! Why is this so important to you?”

“Don’t freakin worry about it!” I boomed shutting her up.

As we pulled up to his house I stormed out of the car on my one man warpath. I put on a polite face and knocked on the door.

“Oh Aidan!” Ms. Sanders said in shock as her answered the door “I didn’t expect to see you tonight, especially after your match. Is there something I can help you with?”

“I was wondering if I could talk to Jayden.” I pushed out in an innocent voice

She thought about it for a second before giving me a curious look “Oh I don’t know honey, he was pretty disturbed by the fight tonight. I’m not sure that’s the best…”

“I’ll be able to clear it up” I insisted “he should see that I’m still me and not a monster ya know?”

“That’s a good point” she admitted “He can be a bit, faint of heart. Maybe just for a few minutes” she accepted, letting me in “He’s in his room”

I quietly made my way through their house, and stood outside of his door for a few seconds. I heard some light strums of an acoustic guitar, followed by some quiet singing. I lightly knocked, in an attempt to disguise who it was and waited for his okay to let him in.

As I opened the door, I saw shock fill his face “No! Why are you here?” he demanded

I closed the door behind me and stared at the fragile person in front of me “You lied to me Jayden! You said you weren’t scared of me…you said you didn’t think I would hurt you.”

“That’s not why…” he began

“How can I even believe you anymore? I thought we were cool man!” I interrupted, trying to keep my voice down

He pushed his guitar from his lap onto the bed next to him “That’s not why I left!” he said, finishing his original statement “I left because…because…because…”

“because?!” I taunted

“Because you were too cocky okay? I’ve only known one other person like that and you know where he is? 6 feet under Aidan! And he took my brother with him! You think this is all about you, but you can’t afford to put yourself into anyone else’s shoes! You don’t seem to get how you affect people do you?”

Guilt began to drip into my mind and I walked over towards him “Jayden…I’m so sorry”

“Forget it” he muttered

“No, you don’t deserve that. I didn’t know that would bother you.” He looked away figuring I was bullshitting him, I grabbed onto his face and turned it towards me “All of that…it’s an act okay? I need to do it to impress my dad…that’s why I hate him” I admitted “He forces me to be someone I hate. I love fighting, and I would love to fight in a way that respects the other fighter but my dad…he doesn’t get that. He thinks I need to embarrass the other guy every single chance I get. I’m not like that…can’t you see that by now?”

Jayden’s eyes began to water but I quickly wiped them away “You’re still bloody you know that?” he joked trying to break the tension. Our small laughs begin to mesh into one and suddenly I felt an overwhelming sensation take over. I leaned in and our lips met. Time slowed down, and it felt as though I was taken to another dimension…it felt even better than the night’s win. As we broke our kiss I saw that same goofy expression on his face, but suddenly it faded and anger took its place. “God damnit Aidan!” he yelped “You don’t get to do that! You don’t get to just walk in here and kiss me! God, I can’t believe I was forgiving you just now.”

“You leaned…I thought that… but you” I stuttered

“That wasn’t your goal?” he said as shocked as me

“No…I didn’t…I just saw it” I nervously stuttered

“So you just kiss people?!” he asked, anger not fading

“No…that was my first kiss” I softly admitted

“God damnit Aidan!” He repeated “This is what I was talking about when I said I was scared of you because you’re you! You can’t just be this confident and clueless…it’s not fair!”

“Not fair?” I repeated

“Yeah not fair! How the hell am I supposed to feel about this…about any of this!” Jayden began, getting himself more and more worked up

“I’m sorry… I thought you wanted me too…”

“I don’t know what I want!” he growled “Okay? Are you happy! I have no idea who or what I am okay? I don’t know if I’m gay or straight or bi, or even a guy for that matter! Okay? I have no idea what I identify as, and now I have you just walking in and kissing me!”

I looked at him and saw even more anger beginning to grow “I’m sorry Jayden…I didn’t know”

“Nor do you care!” he began to grow louder and louder “Just leave me along okay? I need to figure this out”

I shook my head in disbelief of how downhill this went “I’ll leave you alone for now…but I’m not giving up on this…no matter what you are…no matter who you are…you liked that, I saw it on your face!”

“Don’t tell me what I liked” he grumbled

“Fine, I won’t!” I forced out “But you sit and think it over. Don’t let this end because you don’t know what to do” Jayden shook his head no, but didn’t answer “Goodnight, I’ll be here waiting for you…whenever you need it…I’ll always be here” He closed his eyes and turned away from me.

That night I ran out and jumped into the backdoor without saying a word. Brooke tried her best to push me to explain what had happened but I refused…my biggest fight was just beginning.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have so much to be thankful for this year, and part of the reason for that is all of your amazing support! You guys rock! Stay safe, and I'll catch you soon!
2016 Ace
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What Aidan told the fighter was classy, way back when, say 1890's there was Gentleman "Jim" Corban, who became a prizefighter, and fought as a gentleman.  Aidan can follow that example, if he chooses, it may be nearer to who he is anyway, and finally rebel against his father.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Like I said before his father is a dick and I have no idea why Aiden feels he has to prove anything to him. Btw his mother is a dick as well. I can see why he is being compared to Jamie. Well we all know how that ended so let's see if Aiden can work it out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..