Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 6,323 Words
  • 2,397 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Crestfallen - 42. The Boy Wonder

That morning it was impossible to wake up in anything but a good mood. I never thought I would trust anyone like I trust Jayden. I never thought I would have a connection like we do. I looked up from the air mattress onto his bed and smiled at the quietly sleeping teen who owned my heart. Everything about him was beyond perfect. He was the one I wanted to grow up with, the one I wanted to learn with, the one I wanted to succeed with, and if it comes to it fail with.

He turned onto his side and groggily opened his eyes “Stop staring at me” he grumbled, trying to go back to sleep “I can feel it.”

“Bullshit!” I giggled “That’s not what woke you up.”

“You don’t know that.” He mumbled.

I jumped up, and onto his bed “Good morning beautiful.”

“Stop” he groaned, fighting off kisses “What if my parents come in, they can’t see us in bed together.”

“Why? It’s not like we broke any rules last night.” I teased rolling off of him, and back onto the air mattress.

He smiled reflecting back on our night “Do you think they’ll figure it out?”

“How would they?” I poked staring at him

“I don’t know do you feel any different or anything?”

I fought off laughter as his innocence broke through “I feel closer to you…that’s about it.”

He laughed and buried his head back into his pillow “You’re mine now Taylor.”

“Oh yeah?” I giggled “What makes you say that?”

“Just a feeling” he teased “If I had you wrapped around my finger when we first started dating, I can’t imagine how whipped you are after last night.”

“I am not whipped.” I argued “I do a million things you hate.”

“Speaking of that, when’s your next fight?” he muttered sitting up.

“Hard to say, maybe like Tuesday or Wednesday.” Our eyes connected and an involuntary smile crossed both our faces “Just 1 more win, then it’s on to the title fight.”

He moved his mouth from side to side “Are you going to make me proud?”

“I’m going to win the belt if that’s what you asking.” I sighed knowing what he really meant.

“Fight clean.” He lectured doing his best to keep his smile “Even if you do what you did Wednesday…just keep it clean.”

I shook my head “J this is something I need to do…I…I don’t want to make you any promises I can’t keep.” He nodded understanding and opened his mouth “Will you love me no matter what?”

“You could kill a man and I would still love you.” He exhaled “but if it gets brutal…if you do something really stupid…I don’t know” he shrugged “I might need some time.”

“You’ll be scared of me?” I asked, reaching out for his hand

He grabbed onto it and joined me on the small inflatable mattress “After all this time…I don’t think I’ll ever be scared of you…we at least not anymore.” He ran his hand against the side of my face “but I…I might need time to forget about it. Seeing you hurt people…it’s hard to watch.” I tilted my head not understanding “It’s like watching your new puppy kill a bird, you don’t want to believe they can be that vicious…but then there’s a dead bird in your house.”

“I would never hurt you.” I exhaled, beginning to fix his hair “I could nev…”

“I know” he forced a smile “I see it in your eyes when you speak to me, like I said I’m not scared…but there’s something about it all…I’d just need time to remember who you are.”

“Just some time apart not like a break from our relationship right?” I nervously poked.

“No, not from our relationship.” He shook “Just a few hours, or maybe a day.”

I made a face, starting to grow concerned “What happens if I make it to the UFC? What happens if this is my living? What if you don’t stop seeing the dead bird?”

He let out a deep breath as though he had already thought about all of that “I’ll get used to it…we’ll find a way. I just need to take it one day at a time for now, okay?”

I nervously nodded, worried what our future could bring “I’ll never stop loving you, you know that right?”

A small smile overtook his face “I’ll never stop believing in you.”

I giggled, confused by what he meant but before I could ask there was a knock on the door “Boys!” Mrs. Sanders called out “Breakfast is ready if you’re awake.”

Jayden quickly jumped off the mattress and grabbed a shirt off the dresser. With a nervous laugh he threw it over his head, and waived for me to do the same. ”Relax pretty boy” I let out, throwing on my undershirt “guys sleep without their shirts on all the time.”

“Hey, I’m not getting in trouble because you won’t wear a shirt.” He teased, leading me out into the kitchen.

“Good morning boys!” Mr. Sanders exclaimed “Gee I think that’s the first time I’ve said that to Jayden in months.”

“Work the morning shift?” I asked, taking the seat across from him.

“That, and mornings for Jayden start at noon.” He teased looking over at his son.

I flashed a smile towards him, and to my surprise he reflected it back at me “He approves of you now.” Jayden instigated, elbowing me.

“I’ve always approved of him.” Mr. Sanders quickly replied, staring down his son.

Jayden laughed and started tapping his fingers against the table “No lying at breakfast.”

“It wasn’t that I didn’t approve.” Mr. Sanders nervously laughed “I was just suspicious” Jayden made a face and stared at him “Alright fine, I didn’t like you at first.” He admitted throwing his hands up “but then I got to see the young man you are, and I’m very happy that Jayden has you.”

I thought it over and looked up at him “You liked my fight that much?”

“No, it wasn’t that.” He waved “It’s just…the pride that…well that…” he thought about it making sure to choose his words carefully “The pride which consumed your father, well you’ve already achieved that, you’ve already gained success, and yet it hasn’t changed you.” I nodded, but before I could say anything he looked me dead in the eyes “For now anyway…tread carefully, you’re rising fast.”

I nodded “Me and J have been talking about that a lot actually.” I looked over to Jayden and smiled “I…I would never sacrifice you or my friends for glory.”

“It’s one thing to say it, another to do it.” Mr. Sanders’ reminded “Stay true to your heart.”

“I will” I nodded pulling a shakebottle out of my backpack and quickly making a creatine shake with the power and some water.

Mr. Sanders looked at his wife than back at me “It’s protein” Jayden clarified.

“Creatine.” I nodded, giving Jayden the benefit of the doubt.”

“And that’s healthy for someone your age?” Mr. Sanders asked slightly concerned.

“Doctors haven’t connected it with anything bad. It helps me to gain weight and gets my muscles healing as quickly as possible.” I informed and he shot me a weird look “Father’s orders.”

“I…” he paused and grabbed the wrapper from the table “Just be careful with what you put in your body okay? You only get one liver.”

I nodded and smiled at his concern “Tell my father that.” I absent mindedly muttered.

“If I could I would.” He sighed, much to the approval of Jayden.

All during breakfast I carefully absorbed what it was like to be a part of this family. What it was like to live in a smaller house without a ton of money. Yet what they lacked in money, they made up for in love, no matter how little they had, no matter who they had lots…it was clear they had more than enough love to go around. It’s funny, I almost didn’t want to leave, but as Perry pulled up to take me to the gym I knew I had to go. The Sanders told me to thank my father for dinner last night, and I thanked them for having me, knowing damn well that breakfast with them was 10x better than dinner with my family.

Another day at the gym another day working my ass off. I mean, I was hungry before, but no one at that gym was working harder than me. It was clear that belt was going to be mine, it was clear I wasn’t backing down, it was clear that this was my gym. “You got final four.” My coach instructed as I went at the speed bag “Fights Tuesday night, think you can afford to skip school that day and clean up some of your ground game? We need to teach you judo throws. I heard Joseph wants to put you with a wrestler and see what happens.”

I carefully nodded “I can skip, fighting comes first.”

“Those are big words.” He cautioned “You break something…you tear something and that could be it. Don’t forget the value of your education.”

“My body can take it” I fired back “Don’t stress.”

That night I did my best to sleep as much as I could, once more dreams of glory filled my head. I just couldn’t shake it, I mean this is it…this is my chance. The next morning I woke up at 4 am and went out for an early morning run. My body has to be ready for everything. I need to be in the best shape of my life. I did my best to pay attention in class, but just like on Friday my heart was elsewhere.

The second I took my seat at lunch Jayden gently laid his head against me “Long morning?” I poked

“Yup” he sighed “but it’s better now.”

“Come on, we’re eating here.” Henry groaned.

“Not my fault you get all grossed out by love.” I challenged, holding Jayden tightly.

“Your 15, give yourself some time.” He complained

“16 in 2 weeks” I teased with a smile

Henry rolled his eyes and looked at his food “Yup, that makes it better.”

“You’re older than me?” Jayden popped up

“Yeah” I giggled “October 16th.”

“What?!” he demanded “Why didn’t you tell me? I have to start planning!”

“For…” I droned on

“Your birthday!” he exclaimed.

Henry let out a small snicker to himself, and I sensed trouble coming “gonna finally give it up for his birthday?”

I made and angry face but Jayden grabbed onto my arm “It didn’t take his birthday for us to take that step.” He sneered, knowing it would hit Henry harder than anything I would do.

“oh my god” Ivy sighed, dropping her fork “Now I’ve lost my appetite.”

Henry looked at him then me, then back to him “What?”

Jayden shrugged his shoulders “you heard me.”

“But you…no, not you…you’re the innocent one.” Henry let out in shock.

Jayden shyly laughed to himself, slowly losing his confidence ”The heart wants what it wants.”

I shrugged and nodded in agreement “Now there aren’t any boundaries between us. We’re…we…we’ve hit a new level together.”

“Alright! Alright!” Henry yelped “I thought I wanted to hear more, but I really don’t!”

I nodded and laughed “Then maybe you want to hear about my fight tomorrow night, I win and I get a title match.”

“So this is really happening?” Ivy nodded

“Yup” I smiled “I’m skipping school to get ready and all. Will you be there?” I nervously asked Jayden.

He let out a deep sigh and forced a smile “Dad has work, but I can make it.”

“I love you.” I let out in appreciation.

“I love you too” he nodded, trying to act like he was okay with going.

I nodded knowing better than to push him any further. As we left lunch I could still see concern on his face, even in History I could tell it was bothering him. After all these weeks Jayden’s gone from scared of me, to concerned for me. I know his hearts in the right place, but…goddamn it I want to win! Even if it gets ugly, even if I have to make it brutal. The end justifies the means. Proving to kids that people like us can do it…that’s worth it right? Jayden will understand that right?

“Hey Eli.” I pestered, making my way to my locker to pack my bags

“What up rook?” He glanced over, throwing things into his bag

“I…Jaydens scared that I’ll take things too far at my fight tomorrow night.” I sighed leaning against the locker next to his “Can you sit next to him and keep him in check?”

“Who says I’m even coming?” he laughed.

“Oh, I just kinda assumed…”

“I’m busting your balls kid, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” He smiled in approval

I took a deep breathe “Just…you’ve seen me at my worst, remind him that no matter what happens…that no matter what I do…that I’m still me.”

“Planning on doing something stupid?” he prodded, looking over with some concern.

“Not planning on it.” I sighed “but there’s a lot on the line, and I…I need people to fear me.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because when I have that title…when I defend that belt, I want people to be genuinely afraid of getting into the cage with me. I want them to know they’ll have to rip it out of my unconscious hands.” I confessed, showing nothing but confidence “You might not be able to understand but it’s…”

“I understand.” He nodded “It’s like having an enforcer on your line; you want fear to put doubt in your opponents mind.”

“Sure?” I agreed, not fully understanding the analogy.

“An enforcer is someone who will hit you hard, or beat the shit out of you.” He explained “They’ put one out on the ice with me every now and again to stop the other team from taking runs at me. Fear…it’s a powerful thing…just don’t get lost in it.”

“I wont.” I smiled “I’ve got everything under control.”

“Only people who don’t have control say that!” Eli yelled as I walked down the hallway

“You say that.” I turned and laughed, beginning to pack my bag.

“Case and point!” he laughed, walking by “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

That night and Tuesday morning seemed to melt into one. I went right home slept, then got back to the gym at 5 am, ready for the night’s festivities. I wasn’t playing games, I was preparing. I can’t count how many runs I went on, or how many wrestling drills I did. It seemed like I was throwing so many other trainers that one would eventually snap their neck. There will be no weaknesses in my game, no flaws. Eventually I disappeared off into the offices for a pre-fight nap, but the second I woke up it was right back to the grindstone. As the sun set I saw everyone I know arrive, but didn’t take a second out of my busy routine to greet them.

As more and more people arrived one of my trainers pointed out my new opponent, he was around the same height as me only he had to be a year or two younger. “This kids still new, but god damn is his ground game good.”

“He’s scrawny.” I grunted still hard at work “I’m gonna throw him around like a ragdoll.”

“Good!” my trainer encouraged “He takes you down, you throw him the fuck off of you. The second that bell rings suffocate him, if he wants to take you down then get control and ground and pound until you’re sure he’s knocked out. The longer matches go against this kid the more dangerous he is.”

I nodded “I’ll end it as fast as I can.”

As though on cue the kid slowly made his way over “Names Mason.” He greeted with a smile.

I threw a hard punch threw the speed bag and turned to him “Dude, I don’t know how many fight’s you’ve been in, but we’re not exactly buddy buddy in this league.”

“Why not?” he poked

“Because in an hour I’ll be trying to break every bone in your body.” I grunted getting back to work.

“So? it’s nothing personal.” He insisted “That’s our sport. I’ve watched you fight before, you’re like the best around…you’re like batman!”

“Mason…look dude, you seem like a nice guy, but do yourself a favor and get out of here.” I grunted, trying to stay focused.

“Why would I do that?” he poked not understanding.

I shook my head and turned back towards him “You’re the only thing left standing between me and a title fight, and I will get that title fight.”

“Well I’m not handing it to you.” He smiled “I’m the best wrestler in the league. I’ve earned this just as much as you have.”

I smirked at his confidence “Kid I’m going to be honest with you.” He eagerly looked up at me “I’m going to fucking demolish you. I don’t just want to win…I want to make a statement. I won’t just wrestle with you…I’ll throw you around like your fucking nothing….if you step into that cage, you won’t be able to walk out.”

“I’ve been preparing for you.” He smiled unphased “I know that you hesitate when things start to get ugly, you’re going to hesitate and that’s when I’m going to take you down.”

“I haven’t hesitated in a while.” I sighed, scared that the underground may have actually helped.

“We’ll see about that, your act isn’t scaring me.” He smiled “It was nice meeting you Static, I’m excited for tonight.”

“Sure thing Mason.” I exhaled, returning to my work.

“It’s boy wonder.” He happily yelped. I rolled my eyes at the terrible nickname but shut out everyone else for the rest of the night.

From my corner I could see it all, the crowds, the fights…and yet I couldn’t find Eli. The closer to the fight I got the more worried I felt myself getting. As my coach finally waived me over I turned towards Henry and made a face “Watch Jayden!” I mouthed, trying to clear my mind. He nodded understanding what I meant, and my mindset went right back to the match. Once more I scanned the growing crowd looking for Eli but couldn’t find him. Why is it so freakin packed? Am I missing something?

“Alright Static, remember what you’ve learned. I know judo is still new to you, but you looked good today. Be smart, read his stance and throw him. This kids a good 20 pounds less than you, it should be no competition.” My coach smirked and looked back towards the crowd “Oh and that KO you had the other night…it’s gone viral, I think you’ve got a few extra fans here tonight.”

I nodded and threw on my gloves. Once more the lights went down, and energy begin to take it’s place. The opening riff to Enter Sandman seemed to fuel me perfectly as the ref patted me down. The second my feet touched the octagon I heard real people being to cheer…real people!

“Fighting out of the red corner, with a record of 36-0, your home fighter, the lethal striker, the kid whose single handedly controlled this league, Aidan “Static” Taylor!” The announcer boomed

I turned towards the crowd and back peddled in, my coach wasn’t kidding…there really are people here for me. I grabbed onto the pride flag in my corner and made it wave a few times, showing everyone what I was…who I was.

“Now Fighting out of the blue corner, with a record of 15-3, an up and comer who’s made a huge splash with his ground control and submissions, the away fighter, the grappler, the submitter, Mason “Boy Wonder” Terry.”

I watched him carefully as he entered into the ring. He was young but I saw confidence and pride beaming off of him. He wasn’t scared…not in the least.

The ref waved us both to the center “Alright boys, let’s have a clean fight tonight. No low blows, eye pokes, cheap shots, you both know the drill.”

“Shouldn’t he heave head gear on?” I forced out through my mouth piece “He’s too young, he’s gonna get hurt.”

The ref looked over at him “How old are you?”

“13” He nodded “I got cleared by the league and a staff of doctors.”

The ref shrugged his shoulders “If you would like to touch gloves you may do so now.”

We reached out and quickly banged gloves “I don’t want your concern.” He shot back, staring me down.

“You’re gonna need it.” I spit taking a step forward to scare him. The ref quickly pushed me back to my corner, and ordered the cages to be cleared of banners and flags.

I looked back to my trainers and nodded, I’m gonna have to shut this kid down and fast. I can see it in his eyes…this isn’t someone I want to go all 3 rounds with.

The second the bell rang I charged. Mason in shock took a few steps back, absorbing my oncoming barrage. The biggest problem with studying film, with studying another fighter’s tactics? They always change. I’m not going to stand by like I usually do…no tonight I’m on the attack. I caught him with bomb after bomb, as it became clear he wasn’t comfortable whatsoever on his feet. Finally he caught me with a kick forcing me back. He quickly whipped the blood from his lip and charged me.

He locked up my arms and smiled, figuring he had the easy take down, but I calmly remembered my training form this morning, and kicked out his dominant foot. He complacently let the two of us fall to the ground; knowing damn well he was the better wrestler, only he made one critical mistake…he forgot my warning. He let me fall onto his back and prepared to flip me, but the second he locked my arm around his waist I began to lift him, and with all the strength I could muster I leaned back and threw him up over me and down onto his back.

I saw him begin to breathe heavily doing his best to work through the pain, but the second I got within striking distance he tagged me with a kick, sending me back. He quickly jumped back to his feet, and reset ready for another go. The crowd exploded with cheers as they realized the battle they were watching. He took a tired swing but I dodged it, and slammed him with a huge punch to the face. I stepped up, grabbed onto a dazed Mason, kicked out his leg once more, and threw him down onto the ground.

“That’s all you got?” he yelped as I jumped onto him “My grandma hits harder than you!”

He covered his face, doing his best to defend against a tko, and I went to work on his ribs. I paused worried one was about to snap under my onslaught incidentally giving him the opening he had been waiting for. The second I laid off he landed a devastating punch to my face causing me to stumble off of him. I turned in an attempt to get to my feet but he jumped right on my back, not daring to let me go. He slowly began to wrap my neck and flashbacks of his earlier warning played in my head “you’re going to hesitate and that’s when I’m going to take you down”. Suddenly I realized why he was so dangerous, he could take a beating…he could handle getting demolished…all he needs is one second…one hesitation and he’s won.

I took whatever was left in my tank and used it to get to my feet. He kept his hold tightly while using his legs to wrap my inner thighs. I felt my breathing grow heavier as my vision began to blur. In a last ditch effort I stumbled back trying to account for the weight of the two of us, forcing his arm around my neck a bit higher and without warning lunged my upper body forward. The sudden shit of weight back and forth sent him flying off of me and with a loud slam he once more landed on his back.

I looked down as he wiggled in pain. No more hesitations Aidan! You almost just lost because of it! I pounced on him and instantly started slamming into him with whatever I could manage. He landed a kick to my stomach forcing me back onto my feet, but the second I saw him crouch up I grabbed onto his stomach and slammed him as hard as I could into the floor. I watched his eyes fill with pain and charged his side. I threw myself over him, and latched onto his left arm, covering his right arm with my body. As quickly as I could I engaged his left arm in an Americana, a move that cranks the other fighters elbow putting pressure onto their shoulder. As I started to crank his arm further and further began I heard him begin to cry out in pain.

“Red fighter let his right arm free” the ref shouted, but I ignored him and kept cranking “Red fighter, I need to see if he’s tapping!” The ref bellowed. As I felt his shoulder begin to pop I shifted my body and let his right arm free. The second I saw him raise to tap I fully pulled on his left arm and a loud crack echoed through the gym. The ref bodied me off of Mason, finally setting him free. The young fighter instantly began to cry out and scream in pain as he tried to move his left arm.

“Taylor!” the Ref shouted “You need to keep the other arm free the whole time, he was trying to tap!”

I shrugged my shoulders “I’m new to jiu jistu, it was a rookie move.” I lied “Won’t happen again, besides do you know with absolute certainty he was trying to tap? I didn’t feel it.”

“No, but he was clearly in pain!” The ref argued.

“Then why didn’t you end it there?!” I challenged, starting to grow angry “Don’t point fingers because you were scared to end it without seeing a tap. Fighters lose control in submissions, especially at our age! You didn’t take my warning when I said he needed head gear, and you didn’t protect him when I was accidently covering his other arm!” I excused, throwing all the blame on him in an effort to keep the crowd on my side “I guess we both learned something today.”

“I guess so.” He growled, knowing what had really happened. He dragged me to the center and went to grab my arm, but a crying Mason forced himself to his feet and joined us, proving that he had been submitted but still deserved a bid at the belt in the future.

“The winner by submission, and still undefeated Aidan Static Taylor!” the announcer boomed, as the crowd finally started cheering. The ref raised my arm for a second before frustratedly letting it go.

“Hey Mason” I rushed over as the EMTs came into to brace his arm “You really want that title shot don’t you?”

“Yeah.” he winced, trying to stop the EMTs from touching his arm “but I won’t be back into the cage for a while now…thanks for that” he spit, staring me down

I shrugged my shoulders “What happens in the cage stays in the cage.”

He nodded knowing what I meant “I never expected you to be so brutal, why wouldn’t you let me tap?” he shook in anger and sadness.

“You almost choked me out.” I sneered “I couldn’t let you walk away after that.”

“So what? If someone almost beats you you’re gonna leave them crippled?” he shouted

I nodded in determination “I warned you…I said I would demolish you, I told you I would throw you around like a rag doll, I warned you that you would need to be carried out of the cage.”

“Yeah well I’m still standing.” He shot back.

“For that you have my respect, but remember if you want that belt, if you really want that bid…I’ll be the one defending it.” I stared him down “Think very carefully about coming back to this sport.”

Without hesitation he broke free of the EMTs, ran right up to me and smiled “Oh I’ll be back, and I’ll be training right here in your gym.” He laughed to himself “What do you say? Training partners?”

I couldn’t help but laugh at his ambition. He was clearly pissed at me, and yet he still respected me…he still knew that he had to get better. “You’ll teach me how to wrestle like you can?”

“Mason!” one of the EMTs yelled “We need to immobilize that arm!”

He nodded and kept eye contact “You’ll teach me how to strike?”

“Partners.” I agreed laughing at the idea.

“Partners.” He nodded, returning to the EMTs.

As I made my way to the cage door I saw Mr. Joseph holding back a man “You wouldn’t let my son tap!” the man yelped “You snapped his arm for no reason!”

“I’m 15 it was an accident, and I dislocated his shoulder.” I shrugged “He’ll be back in a month or two.”

I saw anger further engulf his face “Are you serious?!” he screamed “You knew what you were doing!”

I fought off a smile as I shook my head “You let your 13 year old go into a cage against the best fighter in this league, maybe even in this state. The last fighter that faced me was nearly double Mason’s size and he had to be stretched out, be glad it’s just his shoulder.” I sneered “Besides you’re going to be seeing a lot more of me.”

“Like hell I am!” he screamed, trying his best to break free and get to me.

“Your son is my new training partner; he said he wants to join this gym.” I smiled “We could both learn from one another.”

“Over my dead body!” the man shouted as I turned back to my coaching staff.

“You really recruited that kid for this gym?” My coach asked in shock.

“If that’s not a problem.” I shrugged “Look he was 5 seconds away from beating me. If that kid can get the right help…his potential is crazy. We could learn a lot from one another.”

“Then why the fuck did you snap his shoulder?!” One of my trainer’s exclaimed “You could use his submission knowledge for the title fight…the move he pulled on you…that’s a UFC move!”

“It’s not a problem at all.” My coach nodded “Although it might take some convincing to get his father on board.” He laughed “And relax Ty, it was a UFC move but it was terribly executed, Aidan shouldn’t have been able to throw him like that.” He sighed and looked at me “As for that kids shoulder…it was the wrong thing to do but Aidan needs to build fear.”

I nodded my head “Whoever I fight for that belt needs to be genuinely afraid for their safety…they need to know Static is coming…they need to know what he can do.”

“Guess we’ve got a young Nate Diaz among us.” My trained sighed.

“Alright I’m gonna go talk to the father.” My coach exhaled “Don’t go near the kid in the meantime.”

“I’ve got the commissioner to talk to anyway.” I smiled, leaving them and walking to the big burly man who was finally free of an angry father “I want that belt.” I roared

“You’ve made that clear.” He nodded “But let me make one thing clear to you, you just cost me my best referee. After that stunt you pulled, I can’t afford to keep him around.”

“Why’s that?” My dad joined in before he could finish his point.

“It would be too much bad PR.” He sneered looking at me.

“The key words there are PR.” My dad began “Do you know how little press this gym was getting before my son came here? Do you have any idea how quiet this league was until my son began to fight like such a titan?” Mr. Joseph went to speak but my dad cut him off “None, absolute zero. So don’t try and make anything clear to Aidan. This kids going to break a few more eggs in his time with you, but you’re going to get one hell of an omelet.”

Mr. Joseph nodded understanding my dad’s point “You’re going to be a headache aren’t you Aidan?”

“Oh yeah” I replied without a doubt “But I’m going to be your first champion, and I’m going to keep bringing crowds just like this one.”

“Do I look happy about that?” He asked, and I shook my head acknowledging that he didn’t “Well good, because I can’t…not after what you did to that kid, but you’re both right you’re bringing in a lot of attention. You have my blessings Aidan, just don’t push your luck.”

“Yes sir.” I replied with a smile. He rolled his eyes and headed to the EMTs to get a rundown of how bad the injury was.

My father grabbed onto my shoulders and shook me “You are an absolute beast. You threw that kid around like a goddamn rag doll, you snapped him in two like he was a piece of wood.” He stared me dead in the eyes and smiled “I’m proud of you son.”

I fought off a smile and nodded “Thank you dad.”

“I’ll see you back at home.” He proudly smiled walking to the door.

Jayden! I quickly realized scanning the crowd. Where is he? I can’t find him! “Henry!” I shouted at the top of my lungs “Ivy!”

“Right here.” A small voice squeezed through the dispersing crowd and joined me on the floor.

“Where’s Jayden and Henry?” I nervously poked.

“Well Jayden started throwing up when he heard the snap so Henry took him to the bathroom.” She sighed “That thin ice is cracking!” she yelped as I ran to the bathroom.

As I kicked down the door Henry turned to me and shook his head “You fuckin savage!” he smiled “Onto the belt it is.”

“Unto the belt it is!” I repeated proudly smiling. Out of nowhere I heard the noise of puke hitting water and quickly pushed back Henry and into the stall “J…Jayden, it’s okay! It’s okay! The other fighter is okay.” Jayden spit and wiped his mouth with a paper towel “He’s even going to join this gym when his shoulder heals, we’re friends, he’s gonna be my new training partner.”

Jayden turned and I was no longer sure if he puked because of the snap or because of how upset he was “Aidan…just…go away.”

“What?” I quickly uttered “Why?”

“Dead bird.” He forced out “Dead bird!” he turned throwing up once more.

“What?” I shook “No I can’t leave you like this! Not in this condition, you’re so…”

He turned back and shook his head “If you don’t…if you…I’ll never stop seeing it if you don’t go right now!”

I started backing up and shook my head in disbelief “I…I love you Jayden.”

I saw him shake his head in disappointment “Just go.”

“It’s okay, I’ve got him.” Henry comforted “He’s in good hands.”

I reluctantly shook my head and quickly made my way back to Ivy “He’ll barely talk to me.” I exhaled in sadness.

“Gee I wonder why that is?!” She sarcastically shot “You tried to sell it off like it was an accident, but we all know better! We know you did that on purpose!”

“I did what I had to.” I defended “I don’t regret a second of it.”

She shook her head in anger “You will if it costs you Jayden.”

“Do you think it will?” I let out, trying to hide my concern.

“No.” she shook “If it did…then he wouldn’t still be here, but if you’re not careful…if you don’t watch yourself, it will.”

I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head “What am I going to do?”

“Fight with honor and class like you did before this year. I don’t know what the hell has gotten into you, but you used to be such a humble fighter.”

“Last fight was full of honor.” I argued.

She made a face and stared at me “It kinda was, but what about 3 fights ago when you snapped that guys arm? You’re unpredictable and unstable!” she shrieked “And that damn belt is only making things worse.”

I shook my head in disagreement “It’s easy to judge from the outside, you’ll understand after I have that belt.”

“Yeah we better, or else…”

I waived my hand not wanted to hear the end of that sentence “Where’s Eli? I’m going to kill him!”

“Oh please, he couldn’t have stopped any of this from going so poorly.” She sighed, getting frustrated with me.

“He knows how to talk to Jayden, they have this weird bond.” I explained in haste “Did you see him at all? He promised he would come.”

“Nope.” She shrugged “He wasn’t even in school today.”

My eyes grew real wide and I felt my heart begin to race “What do you mean?”

“He was absent.” She spit, not understanding.

I quickly ran away and grabbed my phone out of my bag. Pick up! Pick up! I chanted as I dialed his number.

“Aidan?” I heard a shaking voice answer “I fucked up.”

2016 Ace
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 03/04/2017 01:06 AM, bubby1234 said:

I realy do hope that aiden is not going to loose Jayden,i hope you are not that evil.

Love is complicated, luckily you won't have to wait too long for your answer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Really do not like fights or fighting, but the story that is going on around it, is good.  Does Aidan finally learn that all that glitters is not The Belt.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..