Jump to content
    Ashi
  • Author
  • 498 Words
  • 708 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The story is a work of fictional, based on real locations weaved into selected major events happened in the year 2019.  The history of San Francisco is researched to the best of the author's ability.  Characters however are fictitious.  Attached photos are used to enhance the story but the author reserves the right to remove them or substitute them.  Please do not use/link photos without author's permission.

The Sojourner of San Francisco - 1. LTR/01: You Don’t Have to Be a Stranger, Says the Awkward Turtle

FROM: Sojourner

TO: Perfect Stranger

DATE: FEB-28-2019

 

Dear Stranger,

I am glad you are reading this. That means you did not throw this letter away and move on with your life. I hope this unsolicited letter doesn’t alarm you or anything, because that’s not what I intended. This is the first time I’ve ever done something like this, too. I mean, sharing my life with a perfect stranger. If you don’t mind spending few moments reading through my letter and the enclosed photos, I’d feel really honored.

In case you’re curious, I found your address from the phone book, and I don’t mean the online equivalent. I mean the real deal, printed on paper in ink, much like this letter. It’s more genuine, I think. Returning to the old-fashioned communication, it just feels more…, tangible, something easier to grasp. Don’t know if you agree with me.

Okay, anyways, here we go. I am going to share everything with you. Everything. Just to let you know, I am really nervous about this, too.

I am currently in San Francisco (if postage stamp doesn’t already give it away), because it’s better for my health. I am enjoying each day so far. As the saying goes, “Happiness is only real, when shared.”* Don’t you feel special I picked you as my pen pal? Haha.

I am going to keep each letter very short, so it wouldn’t interrupt your life too much. On the other hand, feel free to travel with me via my photographic sojournal to the City by the Bay. Here is the first photo, Golden Gate Bridge. What else!

Lovingly yours,

 

Sojourner

PS. I was there when Golden Gate Bridge celebrated its 75th Anniversary in 2012. Were you there on that day?

*An Alexander Supertramp reference. I know…. But I am not exactly in the wild. An urban jungle perhaps.

 

Golden Gate Bridge at Fort Point

Golden Gate Bridge is 1.7 miles long. Each tower is 746 feet above water. Construction started on January 5, 1933, and the Art Deco icon of San Francisco opened on May 27, 1937. It costed $23.8 million (about $1.64 billion in today’s dollar). When it opened it was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the world. It was considered an impossible task due the gusty wind of Golden Gate Strait. Total of eleven workers died during the construction, a fraction of people who intentionally jumped to “end it all.”

Fort Point was closed on the day I took the photo, so I didn’t go in. I remembered the last time I was inside the Fort, it was very chilly and windy, even by San Francisco’s usual standard. The Summer fog usually won’t scatter until afternoon, and it will descend to the Fort ground around dusk, obscuring the view of the beautiful red truss arch just above it. The famous saying, “the coldest Winter is Summer in San Francisco” is definitely true, so bring layered clothing if you’re visiting.

First few chapters are the lightest chapters. But hopefully they do set up the mood. Sojourner so far is a little timid, so he's not opening up yet.
Copyright © 2020 Ashi; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
I have tried my best to research depression and suicide issues.  My time writing the story runs short due to recall back to my real life work, so some parts may not be the best.  It is not meant to cause distress if the issues presented in the story are not well-represented, especially about the issue of depression and suicidal thought.  Please feel free to contact me via PM or comments, so I can improve the story whenever possible.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

how would i feel, if all of a sudden, letters from someone i don't know started appearing in the mialbox?
someone who obviously just needs someone to listen.
i also love the reference to the phone book, "...the real deal, printed on paper, in ink..."

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..