Jump to content
    Ashi
  • Author
  • 495 Words
  • 494 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The story is a work of fictional, based on real locations weaved into selected major events happened in the year 2019.  The history of San Francisco is researched to the best of the author's ability.  Characters however are fictitious.  Attached photos are used to enhance the story but the author reserves the right to remove them or substitute them.  Please do not use/link photos without author's permission.

The Sojourner of San Francisco - 6. LTR/06: No Man Is an Island

If the story's grammar and mechanics have become sloppy, I do apologize in advance. These later chapters are not proofread much due to time constraint.

FROM: Sojourner

TO: Perfect Stranger

DATE: MAY-23-2019

 

Dear Stranger,

I went to the Rock! Yup, Alcatraz Island. I had such a wonderful time. The weather was a bit windy, a few lovely cloud and lack of haze giving an incredible panoramic view. Fields of purple Persian carpet were in full bloom, and little pollinators were all bees-knees. It was also the nesting season for many birds here: cormorant, seagulls, and black-crowned night herons. Mama and papa Canada geese and their gooselings walked with me side-by-side as if they wanted to include me in their family stroll. I wish you were there with me, watching them shake their booties as they walk. Haha, that sounds totally wrong.

The prison interior itself was the same as my last visit: gloomy and cold. Lots of visitors staring into oblivion while listening on the audio tour. The solitary confinements were dark and unsurprisingly, felt like pigeonholes. You could peep into the kitchen from the dining hall and see the menu of the day on the wall (they had the same menu ten years ago. :D). I like the fact they had a very small library room. I wonder what kind of books they were reading.

Alcatraz is most famous for being an inescapable penitentiary with high profile prisoners such as Al Capone, the Mafia boss of Chicago in Prohibition period. But do you know 50 years ago, in 1969, 89 American Indians tried to reclaim the decommissioned Alcatraz back as Indian Land. It was a 19-month long occupation from the end of Summer of Love in 1969 to June of 1971. Before I was born! It sounds romantic, isn’t it? Wow, I mean the last time I remember I could make any difference in a democratic process probably was in the late 90’s. The world is very different now, isn’t it?

It's too beautiful a day to be contemplating about the impossibilities and things beyond my control. When I landed on San Francisco again, I bought a couple of scoops of ice cream on a chocolate dipped waffle cone. For an early dinner, I ate some steamed mussels paired with a glass of slightly chilled Chardonnay during happy hours. Such an indulgence, I know. I am probably going to cry when the credit card bill comes. Hey, carpe diem, right? It was so nice to feel alive.

My mom called again. After the last reflection, I thought perhaps I could reconcile and reconnect with her again. Maybe one day the whole flock will be together again. I asked her if dad had been treating her well while I was away, she said everything was fine. She always says that even when it's totally not, but we’ll see. One thing at a time.

Lovingly always,

 

Sojourner

PS. Sorry for being such a downer in my last letter.

 

Alcatraz Brick Wall and Tunnel

[space reserved for future expansion]

Alcatraz Penitentiary Sign

[space reserved for future expansion]

The thing about regular mail type of communication is, people tend to have more time to reflect before putting a typed letter into an envelop, which requires stick a stamp to it before one can send it out. It gives the sender a lot of time to regret and retrace the letter. That means Sojourner's letters typically are usually scrutinized. This is very different from modern mode of communication such as email or chat room, where once the Send is pressed, it's very difficult to unsaid certain thing. That said, the psychology behind each letter of this story is written in a certain way deliberately. The final postscript of this letter is very taletelling in this regard.
Copyright © 2020 Ashi; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
I have tried my best to research depression and suicide issues.  My time writing the story runs short due to recall back to my real life work, so some parts may not be the best.  It is not meant to cause distress if the issues presented in the story are not well-represented, especially about the issue of depression and suicidal thought.  Please feel free to contact me via PM or comments, so I can improve the story whenever possible.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't think i've ever really written a 'real' letter. I'm trying to think ... i don't recall one, unless it was when i was a kid. Maybe to thank my grandparents for a birthday or Christmas gift. Possibly then.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Oh my.  LOL.  You really are growing up in the Internet Age.  Honestly, I haven't written a real letter for a long time also.  Not since middle school actually.  LOL.  Try it sometimes if you got a chance to practice your handwriting. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Ashi said:

Oh my.  LOL.  You really are growing up in the Internet Age.  Honestly, I haven't written a real letter for a long time also.  Not since middle school actually.  LOL.  Try it sometimes if you got a chance to practice your handwriting. 

I'll send it to a Perfect Stranger .. :) 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 5/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, Mikiesboy said:

I'll send it to a Perfect Stranger .. :) 

I was going to say something about PS..., but that'll be a story spoiler.  LOL  Can't say anything at this point.  Tomorrow I am going back to work so this story will be on hold indefinitely, so I am going to try my best to publish as much as I could before my time is not mine again.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

i try not to read comments before posting my own, but have read y'alls comments
not only do i regularly write letters, but i have several different stationary sets to chose from!
back to the story, again i'm wondering how our "Perfect Stranger" feels when these letters appear in their mailbox?
are they reading the notes? are they being saved? how is "Perfect Stranger" feeling about all this emotion?

the fact that this is how i'm feeling about the story, drives home (to me) that this is a good piece and i'm glad you were inspired to write it

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Ashi

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i try not to read comments before posting my own, but have read y'alls comments
not only do i regularly write letters, but i have several different stationary sets to chose from!
back to the story, again i'm wondering how our "Perfect Stranger" feels when these letters appear in their mailbox?
are they reading the notes? are they being saved? how is "Perfect Stranger" feeling about all this emotion?

the fact that this is how i'm feeling about the story, drives home (to me) that this is a good piece and i'm glad you were inspired to write it

Oh, wow. I Love it!  Especially the part you have your special stationary set!  I would love to do that!

I am not sure how Perfect Stranger feels.  I am writing Sojourner, but you as readers are free to interpret Perfect Stranger.  If I were Perfect Stranger, I might get creep out.

Spoiler

Major spoiler.  To be honest with you, the original intention is to make Perfect Stranger gender-less, so any reader can be the Perfect Stranger.  However..., due the constraint of a certain theme which is hinted but yet to be officially unveiled, Perfect Stranger has to be a straight, married, man.

 

Edited by Ashi
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..