Jump to content
    Ashi
  • Author
  • 467 Words
  • 379 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The story is a work of fictional, based on real locations weaved into selected major events happened in the year 2019.  The history of San Francisco is researched to the best of the author's ability.  Characters however are fictitious.  Attached photos are used to enhance the story but the author reserves the right to remove them or substitute them.  Please do not use/link photos without author's permission.

The Sojourner of San Francisco - 5. LTR/05: What Goes Up Must Come Down

FROM: Sojourner

TO: Perfect Stranger

DATE: MAY-13-2019

 

Dear Stranger,

I am wondering if you’ve ever visited Mission District in San Francisco. It was Cinco de Mayo celebration weekend, and where else should you be other than Mission with its vibrant Latino culture! I really enjoyed the Mexican folklorico dance performance while I was there. There were quite a few businesses boarded-up on Mission Boulevard and it really made me sad and admired the resilience of the local residents, especially given the current political environment.

As I was eating an amazingly delicious Mission-style burrito, I felt thankful to those who brought foods to our tables. I was (and AM) proud of San Francisco for fostering a positive environment to people of all backgrounds. It is after all, the people who make the City great.

Anyways, my mom called me yesterday. I had already told her it would help us both heal, if we kept each other apart, for a while at least. She couldn’t help it, of course. It was Mother’s Day.

I could hear her eyes lit up, her face brightened (she is my mother) when she said she found some of my old photos. I was such a cute boy, she reminded me. Then there was a long pause, the heart-wrenching silence of a mother exhausted from searching for a boy who was never lost. “I am the same person, mom,” I wanted to tell her, “It’s not a choice.” But I had already told her that before I left.

It wasn’t very fair I made her choose God or me. It certainly didn’t feel fair when she made it very clear it’s God not me. There was a lot of hurt done. There was only one thought in my head at the time: I am not lovable; I cannot be loved. So here I am, in San Francisco, all by myself. Alive, but not well.

“We need time to heal, mom,” I kept saying that in my head, “we need time.”

The silence between us was replaced by the dial tone. Perhaps all that hurt came back to her, too. We used to finish each other’s thought, you see.

“Happy Mother’s Day,” was the last thing I wanted to say, but couldn’t say.

Sometimes I doubt myself. Maybe I have been a bad son. Perhaps I am being ungracious. There are people who can’t wait to be reunited with their parents and children, and here I am…, created a wall between my mom and me. Maybe I was not born to love as my heart desires. Do you think I am wrong, dear Stranger? Is my own honest feeling not as important as honor my parents?

Lovingly always,

 

Sojourner

 

San Francisco Mission District Mural Walk

[Space reserved for future expansion]

This chapter is giving me a lot of trouble as I debated if the breaking down of Sojourner is way too early or not. Don't be surprise the structure might change in the final version of the story.
Spoiler
Keep in mind Sojourner is supposedly writing to a "Perfect Stranger." To disclose such strong feeling to a "stranger" is a bit telling isn't it?
Copyright © 2020 Ashi; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
I have tried my best to research depression and suicide issues.  My time writing the story runs short due to recall back to my real life work, so some parts may not be the best.  It is not meant to cause distress if the issues presented in the story are not well-represented, especially about the issue of depression and suicidal thought.  Please feel free to contact me via PM or comments, so I can improve the story whenever possible.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter is giving me a lot of trouble as I debated if the breaking down of Sojourner is way too early or not. Don't be surprise the structure might change in the final version of the story.

It's not too early ... little glimpses of what's happening are realistic and good. I find this piece of yours touching, readable and very interesting.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Ashi said:

You're very kind, Tim.

i try but i am also telling you the truth.  i like this. it is interesting and unique. Different and that's good!!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Ashi

Posted (edited)

On 5/28/2020 at 11:22 AM, Mikiesboy said:

i try but i am also telling you the truth.  i like this. it is interesting and unique. Different and that's good!!

Yeah, I try to find new way to tell stories.  I don't even remember how I came up with the idea, to be honest.  It seems to take a life of its own now as I am too focused on the content rather than how I started this story.  I was going to say Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda (the movie Love, Simon is based on) or I Am the Cheese, but I highly doubt it.  I think it's probably something in my RL that triggered it, but it's been too long I can't pinpoint what.  COVID-19 gave me the time to fulfill things I wanted to do in life but couldn't do.  I know one of the chapters I haven't posted it yet is because of the movie Boys (AKA, Jonas, AKA I Am Jonas... don't know why so many name changes, probably naming right issue with Jonas brothers).  That movie just haunted me so badly. 

Edited by Ashi
  • Love 2
Link to comment

i love a good Cinco de Mayo celebration, while i've not experienced one in the Mission District in San Francisco i've been to many in Denver, Colorado
those Folklorico dancers are pretty spectacular!

i do hope that our friend the sojourner can one day find happiness and know that EVERYBODY deserves to be loved

and i agree with tim, @Mikiesboy your story is very interesting, and it it unique. i'm enjoying it!

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i love a good Cinco de Mayo celebration, while i've not experienced one in the Mission District in San Francisco i've been to many in Denver, Colorado
those Folklorico dancers are pretty spectacular!

i do hope that our friend the sojourner can one day find happiness and know that EVERYBODY deserves to be loved

and i agree with tim, @Mikiesboy your story is very interesting, and it it unique. i'm enjoying it!

I am pretty sure I can write a happy ending for Sojourner.  I am the author.  LOL  Yes.  Everybody deserves to be loved.  Thank you @mollyhousemouse and Tim @Mikiesboy.  You guys are too kind.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..