Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,499 Words
  • 1,447 Views
  • 8 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dear, Grocery Shoppers - 4. Where's the Manager? I am the Manager!

This entry is written by Noah Fields.

As I dive into another story, let me just say I hope you and your loved ones had a wonderful New Years & ended 2020 on a positive note. Because I sure did, and I had a wonderful birthday (thank you for the birthday wishes)! Just because we’re in a new year doesn’t mean I’m going to stop being me, which means I’m gonna have more stories for you. Alright, now that we got all that out of the way, let’s get into what you came here for.

Have you seen a customer get so in their feelings about something in a store, however small the issue was, and asked for a manager? Have you ever gotten to see that satisfying moment where the worker said, “I am the manager.”? Well this happened to me a few nights ago and, before I give you the tea, this is all because a member of my staff did something “uncalled for”. I’ll warn you, this person happens to be the oldest member of the team here (70 years old) and all she has to do is stand at the door, with a few other smaller responsibilities such as keeping the area clean, make sure all employees that walk in sign a book and have their temperature taken, as well as wipe down carts, sometimes answering a question that a customer might have (given you’re the first person they see) and offering out a mask to people who don’t have one. Pretty easy right? I mean, who doesn’t like making easy money?

Now that you have the knowledge of a door greeter's responsibilities, we can dive straight to the deep end. I believe it was a Saturday and, as normal, we were a little busy and short staffed. My cashiers asked if there was anyone else who could help out by being on the register. There weren't many choices, so who better than your fastest cashier, right? Yes, I’m talking about myself, but not because I love talking about myself, but because you deserve all of the facts. The fact is that I am the fastest cashier, knocking out about ten people to everyone else’s two or three. That kinda gives you a ratio. Now, if I’m checking out someone that’s buying a lot of stuff as people tend to do on the weekends, the ratios changed to me knocking out eight people to everyone’s one or two. Either way, I’m fast, efficient, and precise.

I finally got to this woman, who started out as chill, but made it her mission to make a scene just as we were at the end of her transaction. Let me explain. The conversation went a little like this:

“I can get the next customer!” My register is at the farthest end of the cashwrap, right next to the entrance. The customer walks up with her two kids (a boy who couldn’t have been older than ten, and a girl who was probably five of six). “Did you find everything ok?”

She hands me her selections and I start scanning. “Yes, I did. Thank you, and my goodness! You’re pretty fast! I’m guessing you’ve been doing this a while!”

“I dabble. Are you a rewards member, by chance?”

“Yes I am, but I don’t have my card.”

“No problem, just need your e-mail or phone number.” She gives me her information so she can earn her points and get coupons. When it was time for her to pay, she asked if we took checks, and I nodded. Just a quick moment, though. Why are checks still used in a retail store? That shit’s for paying rent and sending birthday money. I did the whole thing of getting her license, handing her a pen because the customer never has one, you know the drill.

After I handed her the receipt, she leaned in. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure thing. What can I do for you?” Low key, I’m a little ticked. You wait until the end of the transaction when I can be getting the next person in line? Uh-uh! “Can you get me a manager?”

“Ma’am, I am the manager. What can I help you with?”

She tossed her smile, got all serious, and pointed at my door greeter. “That bitch over there said some stuff to me while I was trying to shop.”

Okay. She went from zero to one hundred. “Okay, ma’am. First, I need you to take a breath and calm down. No need to cuss and make a scene in front of your kids. I’m sorry you didn’t have a pleasant experience, but let’s end this on a good note. What did she say to you so we can work on that with her-”

“You’ll work on it?!” Oh, this lady even threw in a head bob with that question.

“Yes, we will. Just because you see me up here doesn’t mean you’ll see me work behind the scenes. Now, you can tell me what my employee said, or you can leave so I can help the other customers.” Remember when I said I keep things real around here? Yeah, here I am!

With a huff and a hand on the hip, the customer explained. “Well, she didn’t really say anything. She just kept looking at me funny.”

“Now you’re telling me that she looked at you funny? Ma’am, that’s part of her, and everyone’s job here. We have to watch customers. Everyone in this store is watched, including us. See all these cameras?” I point at the three black dome cameras near the entrance and the ones above the cashwrap. “Those are watching us. Corporate watches us like a hawk, making sure we ain’t stuffin’ money in our pockets. Now, is there something else? Because we have a line, and I’m sure those people want to go home.”

What happens next, I shit you not, I can’t make this up. It’s too stupid to make up. On cue, the door greeter came over and just had to try to stick her nose up in our business. Some of our bag-stuffers for a hiring event next week got on the floor, and she just felt the need to come clean them up right then and there. “Excuse me. Your daughter is stepping on some papers.”

Both me and the customer’s eyes could have turned red, but she beat me to it. “I’m sorry, but don’t worry about my daughter. They’re just fucking papers, bitch!”

I told the door greeter to go back to sanitizing carts, and I would deal with her when the line got knocked out. Getting back to the customer, “Ma’am, sorry about whatever she did to upset you, and I’ll handle that, but I can’t do that with you here.” I could have had this lady out of my store ten times over if this nonsense didn’t happen. Hell, her daughter and son were playing with the cart, and could have fallen over and injured themselves. That means an incident report, and I had half a mind to tell this lady to watch her own kids!

I offered her our customer service number and both our names so she can send off a proper complaint, but she gets all red in the face, grabs her bags, and storms off with her daughter and the son right behind with the cart. Then this little snot shoves the cart towards my door greeter, and neither of us liked that shit. I had half a mind to hop over the counter to my right and go tell off that kid, but the customer beat me to it. I just went back to the next customer and tried to get my mind right.

But, Noah! What happened when you talked to the door greeter? I got you, guys. After the line died down, I went over and pulled her to the side. She gave me her side of the story, telling me she was just watching since the customer was behind a large gondola unit. Don’t get me wrong, this greeter does her job, but she’s real awkward about engaging with shoppers. I told her that I agree with her actions, but not when they’re in a conversation with another person. I also told her to watch her body language and to be less conspicuous. Just do your job to the best of your abilities and avoid doing extra, because that can cause issues with others.

Aaron has met this door greeter, and he can tell you himself that she is a lot! She met my husband once, and felt the need to bake us a batch of brownies. Then a week later, got us a bottle of wine. She's a lot! I know she means well, but you know how that goes. Anyway, that’s all I have for today. Clocking out and heading home to tell Aaron what happened, maybe giving him a laugh before he leaves for work.

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It never ceases to amaze me how people act in public.  You are definitely to be commended for your skills...  I know it's not the correct way to proceed but when she cussed the first time, my mouth would have gotten me into to trouble.  Then not "watching" her kids as they play in the store...damn!  That is a pet peeve of mine.  My parents would never let me "play" in a store.  I can tell you with certainty that I did that one time and my Mother calmly took me out of the store and we went home.  Yes, she spanked me when we got home but she also told me how embarrassed she was and how ashamed she was of my behavior.  I never, ever pulled the skirt off of the mannequin again!! 🤣  Of course, today people would be all fired up that I was spanked but I never did it again and I was always well behaved in public places.  Anyway,  I applaud your control!  I sure as hell don't have it but I am old (52) and my patience for stupidity is gone!!! Hahahaha....  

I just love this journal you guys are doing!  It is funny and so entertaining but it is also a great way for you guys to vent!  Everything you and Aaron do is so fresh and fun as hell!!!  Love it!!!!  Have a great Thursday guys!!!  Virtual hugs all around!!!!  

Edited by Patch1
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how people act in public.  You are definitely to be commended for your skills...  I know it's not the correct way to proceed but when she cussed the first time, my mouth would have gotten me into to trouble.  Then not "watching" her kids as they play in the store...damn!  That is a pet peeve of mine.  My parents would never let me "play" in a store.  I can tell you with certainty that I did that one time and my Mother calmly took me out of the store and we went home.  Yes, she spanked me when we got home but she also told me how embarrassed she was and how ashamed she was of my behavior.  I never, ever pulled the skirt off of the mannequin again!! 🤣  Of course, today people would be all fired up that I was spanked but I never did it again and I was always well behaved in public places.  Anyway,  I applaud your control!  I sure as hell don't have it but I am old (52) and my patience for stupidity is gone!!! Hahahaha....  

I just love this journal you guys are doing!  It is funny and so entertaining but it is also a great way for you guys to vent!  Everything you and Aaron do is so fresh and fun as hell!!!  Love it!!!!  Have a great Thursday guys!!!  Virtual hugs all around!!!!  

52 is totally not old! And Patch, your words are so loved in our home! We thought about doing this journal a few months ago and we're glad we are finding it "fresh and fun as hell!" It's been such a blast! The next entry is done, so I hope your ready for a big topic! Because Aaron is coming in hot and heavy!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh no. I am so sorry. I don't think anyone did as well as they could have in the above situation. The Customer, the Customer's Kids, the Greeter or Noah.

We'll ignore the Customer. As soon as the word 'bitch' came out of her mouth, that was enough for me. 

I know that you've said, "...The conversation went a little like this..." so it is not verbatim. Based on the above, I would, for example, have:

a) not advised the Customer to take a breath and calm down

b) not have mentioned her Kids unless the situation/issue specifically involved them

c) not have agreed that her experience was unfortunate

d) not have used the phrase, '...but let's end this on a good note".

e) not have acknowledged any wrong doing by a Staff Member without knowing the full facts about what actually happened, and

f) not have used the phrase, '...so we can work on that with her'.

"Ma'am, I am happy to address any concerns you may have minus the cussing. To ensure we have all of the relevant details, what exactly happened?"

I am going to stop here otherwise this could get real long e.g. why do we have a Door Greeter who is awkward around Customers, I wouldn't have gone to tidy an area that was currently occupied by Customers, it is not the Customers fault that the Store was so busy the Store Manager had to help out as a Cashier, the last 3 sentences of that paragraph with the cameras, etc.

That was fun, for a lazy Sunday morning seeing as I couldn't go to Tai Chi. Exploding Body Wash bottle. You had to be there...

LOL. I just remembered. I once got told off by a female Customer for calling her Ma-am. Being in New Zealand I guess Ma-am is not commonly used, but it is not unknown either. I am sure you can imagine what I wanted to replace the Ma-am with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Noah wants me to let you know that he's in the same boat with ya, Buz! But, he has to force himself to be nice, and be (his term, not mine) "politically-hood correct," compared to his desires to tell that lady to "Get out, while you can." 

Exploding...body wash bottle. I knew there was a reason why I preferred bar soaps. And you need to be careful where and how you use "ma'am." It's commonly accepted here in this area of the USA, and is always accepted if you possess *cough* dat dur aksent, that show yous wus raysed prawper. But it can all go south if some lady takes "ma'am" as a term for older woman, or a "respectable" age. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

@Clancy59 It is a very vague retail merchandising tool. The one that the store uses is a four-sided, 7 foot tall cart on wheels. It can have pegs and/or shelves installed and uninstalled with ease to display products. Some gondolas can be two-sided, with or without wheels, small or tall. Below is an example I found on Google Images. It's mostly used for flash displaying, say if some seasonal product came in and must be displayed immediately, and there's no room on the floor plan for a set area. Managers tend to stick these things wherever the Hell they can to get merchandise out on the floor.

Metal Framed Rolling Slatwall Gondola | Slatwall Gondola

Edited by astone2292
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

@Clancy59 It is a very vague retail merchandising tool. The one that the store uses is a four-sided, 7 foot tall cart on wheels. It can have pegs and/or shelves installed and uninstalled with ease to display products. Some gondolas can be two-sided, with or without wheels, small or tall. Below is an example I found on Google Images. It's mostly used for flash displaying, say if some seasonal product came in and must be displayed immediately, and there's no room on the floor plan for a set area. Managers tend to stick these things wherever the Hell they can to get merchandise out on the floor.

Metal Framed Rolling Slatwall Gondola | Slatwall Gondola

Ah!  In the Library, we use something similar, but we call them trucks.  ☺️

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh wow! I would have told the lady off myself if I had been a customer. She should have been watching her children. But if I had done that then I would been in the wrong too. Some people do not even think beyond their stunts! I have been a BITCH customer at times but sometimes I just let some things go which is the best thing to do. I might have been mad but after I calmed down then I knew I just should let it go. Some people can not control their temper. If she had a problem with an employee then she should have not asked at being cashed out at the register. She should have asked for you right away and she could have waited till you got lose to attend to her. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..