Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,048 Words
  • 1,695 Views
  • 6 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dear, Grocery Shoppers - 2. Noah! You're Needed on the Front End!

Dear Grocery Shoppers,

My name is Noah Fields (Hi Noah), I’m twenty-eight, and I’m the husband of your favorite author, Aaron Stone. (OMG he really exists!) And before I get into a story of my own, let me just do a quick introduction of myself. I work in retail, just as my husband has stated on the last episode of DGS. Where I work currently, I’m one of the managers and despite my fancy job title (Senior Fashion Coordinator), all it really means is key holder and in charge of all department leads. So I guess you could say I’m pretty important and even then, it’ll depend who asks! I hold a Strategic Communications Degree, which basically means I have a set of skills that are pretty universal but unique nonetheless.

As Aaron mentioned, he’s a terrible person. I know him better than most and I can assure you, he is (a brief pause followed by an awkward but sarcastic laugh), but I’m no better. And as you take the time to get to know me, whether it’s because of your curiosity, you’ll quickly find that I’m one of the most honest people in your life. Even if that means I gotta keep it real.

Now that we’ve covered the basics, let us begin to take a journey inside my mind. I am someone who believes, given the amount of knowledge we as society have, we all have to have a good strong built foundation. For instance we’ve all had to learn ABC’s, 123’s, Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star, you get it. So it is my belief that there’s no reason to have such confusion in retail and fast food places. Here’s an example: you’re a cashier, a customer walks up to the counter where you’re at and asks if he/she can get a price on a shirt, yet it clearly has the price tag on there. You laugh, but I couldn’t be more honest. It happens to me on an hourly basis. I told the customer that it was $7.99 or something. She said, “Can you check it anyway because I got it off such & such rack.” I scanned the item, said it was still $7.99, and she was like...that can’t be right.

At that moment, I took a deep breath, because it just came to me that this woman has no common sense. Remember, I’m not talking to her about a subject where you would clearly have to have certain skills. For instance working in the medical field as, let's say a doctor. Not everyone can be a doctor but everyone can be a wedding planner. Get it? Ok, so let's get back to the story at hand. I mentioned to her in the calmest of voices:

“Ma’am, as I’m sure you got it off such and such rack, but we have other customers always putting things in the wrong spot, as well as letting their kids run wild, who keep grabbing stuff and putting it wherever. For example, this $7.99 shirt you’re getting was on the such and such rack. My staff & fellow management team do our best to organize as much as we can but there’s only so many of us and a lot more of you. That’s not on us, so would you still like to buy this shirt?”

So, she could have just literally said, “Okay, I’ll get it,” or, “No, I’m not gonna get it.” Instead, I get, “Alright, I’ll buy it, but you didn’t have to be so rude.” Like Aaron said, these people are from the fifties. They like to be all nice and shit to your face, but the second something don’t go their way, they get in a damn fit.

Whether you purchase this merchandise or not, I get paid the same. I’m paid by the hour, not the job, nor is my pay commission based. You now have taken a small glimpse inside my mind. You’ve been given just a small taste, just a bite, but as we dive into the depths of my mind you’ll come to the realization of many things.

Dear Grocery Shoppers, you’re in for a rude awakening here, and although you might not want to hear this, it is something you need to hear. I don’t want to have to deal with little inconveniences at my job that makes me think twice. But I need to, because unfortunately, dealing with this stupidity is part of the cost of living, along with my time in order to be paid handsomely.

Now I know what you’re thinking, “But Noah! You’re being paid handsomely so you should be able to put up with it.” And you’re right. I can put up with it, but like most people, I have a boiling point. I guarantee you that if I pulled even a small percentage of these stunts, you’d wanna bite my head off, among other things. Why do you think retail is essential? Because half of the time, the stores are short staffed with people coming and going. Whether it’s because they’re legitimately moving on to better things, or they got tired or what you, your friends, colleagues, family, and peers were putting them through on a daily basis. Put something in perspective before you go out shopping next: think about what you do at your job. If you work with any sort of shopper, come up with a list of actions that would just irritate you, or cause more work on yourself. Now play that scene in your head. Don’t deal with customers? Gotcha. Imagine a coworker doing something crazy like spilling coffee on your keyboard. All I ask is for you to think about what you’re gonna say or do, and see if that would be worth spending the air in your lungs to speak.

My name is Noah, and welcome to the journey of the inner depths of my mind as I point out some the most mind blowing experiences you’ve ever seen. I’m not the best at writing, but that’s what I got a husband for. He’s got that private school education and he’s the author here, so he can deal with all the editing and stuff. That’s all the time I have for today, until next time.

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yep...Love it!  In my own way, I am like you... Honest, maybe to a fault.  I might be that customer that brought the shirt to you...I would ask if the price was what was on the shirt or was it misplaced..  And after you told me it was on the wrong rack, I would thank you and get the shirt because I wouldn't have "bothered" you with making sure the price was right if I didn't want the shirt.  I am the type person if I want it (and not too expensive), I am going to get it.  I could honestly care less that it was on the wrong rack.  After thinking about it, I probably wouldn't have even bothered you until I checked out.  And then I would have just told you it was on the wrong rack so you would know...maybe a wild child just hung it up there, maybe a lazy customer just put it back there, or maybe it was hung there by an associate by mistake...doesn't matter... I want it ...I am going to get it LOL   As I told Aaron, I worked in retail and it never ceases to amaze me at the ignorance of most consumers.  Many years ago, when I worked in retail, I worked for minimum wage and most of the "consumers" were definitely richer than I was..(but hell I was only 19).  They treated me like I was there only for their convenience .  I was their personal "get it" boy.  I vowed then that I would never treat retail workers the way I was treated.  That extends to all that work with the public.  I would like to think that we have come a long way as a society in that we respect those working in retail.  It is not for everyone.  My sister could never do it.  She would be in jail for bitch slapping someone or in an anger management program for cussing them out. hahahahahaha...  I am serious in that.  She is not one for the "public".  Give her numbers and equations any day LOL  Anyways, sorry to ramble...I just took my morning meds (a little late) and I tend to ramble on and on and on...... I love what you guys are doing!  As Aaron will tell you (hell you probably already know lol)  I get a lot "wordy nerdy"!!!  Oh yeah,  Happy Birthday bud!!!! 

Personnal text with animated fireworks

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am liking this. I have worked in retail for 20 years—- I am trying to switch and work I. An office “office manager”. I have so many stories I have lived in Liberal  Kansas, Denver Co and San Rafael. CA.  I have worked mostly garden centers and I have some good stories that are funny now but were frustrating at the time, if I had a husband to share and make fun maybe it would of been better.  In Denver for instance I was out and proud and I had 2 friends at the store two lesbian friends we decided to freak out some of our co workers at the company Christmas party and me and one of the women made out. I loved some of the faces we got.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Hey Noah. Greetings from beautiful New Zealand.

OMGoodness! As previously mentioned, I was a Public Librarian for a few years. My previous comment about the Mayor was all because a member of the Public picked up a copy of a publication from the Adults section, read it, put it down on the chair they were sitting in before walking away. They were sitting in the Young Adults section. Not a shirt placed back on the wrong rack, but ya see what I mean.

Bloody Selfridge and his, 'The Customer is always right'.

No. No, they are not. They are never wrong, but they are not always right.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

@NFields1608, that was brilliant! I loved it. I understand what you go through. Some people just don't get how hard it is to do a job when you work for the public. It is harder than you think to have to do your job to the best of your ability, but some people just think we are all super heroes. And that we should just give them what they wanted just because they shopped there. They feel like we owe them cause they are the ones spending their money so the employees get paid, even though some people don't realize that at all. They just think we owe them. Not saying that all people are like that but some that think that, they think they are better than the working class of people. We work just like the customers do and we want them to be happy but we can not go against policy just because they did not get their way.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks everyone I’m glad you guys liked it, stay tuned because there’s going to be a lot more stories posted very soon

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..