Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,624 Words
  • 780 Views
  • 9 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dear, Grocery Shoppers - 12. D.T.E.

Nose-pickers.

These people irritate me. Not the actual nose-pickers of the world. By all means, go where man shouldn’t go. It’s just another nasty habit, like smoking cigarettes and wearing flip-flops with unmanicured toes. People do it for a reason, so don’t judge. I can see the benefit of picking one’s nose. Clears out the nasal passages.

Hmm? Right, my definition of a nose-picker. I’m talking about the people who do things without the general awareness of others around them. If you’re on your way out of a store and someone’s in the process of coming inside, and said person just stops for no reason in the doorway. They’re looking around, as if they’re inspecting the door handle and thinking, “Huh. This handle isn’t ADA compliant.”

Nose-pickers. They stop typical human automation for no good God-damned reason. I’m not sure about my readers, but Noah and I like to keep it moving. There’s too much to get done in the day for someone to be blocking the vitamin aisle. Sure, there’s about forty-five brands of tortillas, but unless you live in a cave, you know which kind your household buys. Some like Ortega, and some prefer Old El Paso. Then Taco Bell got in the game, but goofed up by not bringing the Doritos Locos Tacos to the grocery store shelves. Regardless, most know the brands and which ones they buy.

Then there’s the lack of common sense. Some nose-pickers don’t evaluate the options displayed to them. A good example here is what I call DTE. Drive-Through Etiquette.

What is the purpose of a drive-through? It’s to order, pay for, and collect your purchases in a speedy manner from the comfort of your motor vehicle.

A lot of people have relied on the convenience of this retail breakthrough for many years now, and some haven’t considered what happens on the other side of the wall. Different stores have different standards. Some are timed, particularly fast-food. The moment your vehicle comes in front of the menu, that timer starts. The longer you sit and say, “Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,” the more those workers will be berated later for "their" poor performance. Having worked in a fast food drive-through, those times are no joke. The working team generally has two minutes or less to get your order taken and off the property with food in hand.

Drive-through etiquette. There are unspoken rules for the speedy and reliable lane, and you should be aware of some of them. I’ll go over a few of these rules. The first one is pretty simple: know what you want. I know what you’re going to say, “bUt AaRoN, tHeRe’S a MeNu.” Yes, and I expect you to read quickly. You should have a general idea of what the store has to sell, and if you don’t, I recommend going inside if you are able to.

A few examples of what not to do or ask should you visit my liquor store’s drive-through:

“What kind of seltzers do you have?” This is a very loaded question. Brands we carry include White Claw, Truly, High Noon, Frizzecco, Svedka, Ketel One, Mom Water, Happy Dad, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, Corona, Ranch Water, Topo Chico, and so many more. Each one of those have different flavors or varieties, and they can also come in multiple sizes. Six packs, eights, twelves, and tall-boys. I’ll gladly waste my customer’s time by naming off every single option for them because our drive-through is not timed, and I get paid by the hour. Alas, not all stores are treated equally.

A cute follow-up question: “Which one do you like the most?” Gurrrrrrrrl, do I look like I drink alcoholic Perrier? I don’t forkin’ know! Just because I work here doesn't mean I’ve been treated to a free sample of every product. You’re legit telling me you don’t have a preference? No brand loyalty? Can you even tell me if you prefer cherry or pineapple?

“Can you tell me the price of blahblahblah?” Hang on, let me find my sarcasm hat. Yes, I know the price of every single product in my store, both before and after state tax. Just as I turn to go get the product, they holler, “Oh, you don’t have to go get it!” Yes, I do. My POS (point of sale) has products named specifically. A 750mL bottle of Jose Cuervo Especial Silver is named Cuervo Silver 750, while its golden counterpart is Cuervo Esp Reposado 750. Did you notice the silver's tag doesn't say especial? Why is that? I don't know; take it up with the fart-sniffer who gets paid the big bucks at corporate. I don’t have magical barcodes lined up, so I have to type it in. Just like with the prices, I simply don’t have time to memorize every tag.

“Can I get a cup of ice?” For free, no. Simply because this is a liquor store, and I don’t have a fountain drink machine.

Follow-up question: “Dang, really?” Yes, dang really. I don’t make this shit up, bud. You think we're good friends, and I'm going to grab one of Sheila's styrofoam cups and fill it with our break room freezer's ice? We ain’t got it.

That’s enough examples. There are many points of DTE that deserve a mention, such as the driver’s behavior and actions. If I catch you smoking a cigarette in the drive-through, my customer service switch is instantly flicked off. If you’ve read the bubble on my profile labeled, “Profile Information,” you’ll know I smoke cigarettes myself. What I don’t do is have one lit in the drive-through. That’s completely disrespectful. Smoke and odors are now wafting inside the store. Someone may not be comfortable with being exposed to second-hand smoke, or dislike the smell. It may sound like the most American thing to do when buying booze, but it’s not. Standing outside to smoke the cigarette like Hank from King of the Hill is.

There’s also minor nuances such as having your money ready and specific bagging instructions addressed, but those don’t bother most workers. However, we do pay attention to everything. As a seller for liquor, I am required to pay very close attention to many different aspects of the transaction. I’m a hard-ass at my store, and my regulars know it because they’ve been forced to adapt. If I see an open alcoholic beverage in your vehicle, you will not get service. That tells me you’ve been drinking. Was it today, or six months ago? Don’t know, don’t care. Every transaction, I put my job on the line. There is no exaggeration with that statement. One of my coworkers was fired for not carding a simple cigarillo transaction, and the customer was an FDA agent. Instant termination.

If I smell alcohol, you’re done. If anyone speaks about any word that may be linked to alcohol, they need IDs. Ain’t got it? Well, I ain’t got you. If you come inside the store, you’re getting carded. The only exception to that is if I deem you young enough to require parental supervision; typically thirteen and under get free passes. But the second that kiddo touches a single bottle, your ass is grass.

There isn’t any, “I want to speak to your manager,” either. All of my employees know they reserve the right to refuse service for any reason. Their livelihood depends on that transaction, and they don’t need my permission to shut an order down. Failing to properly handle these purchases or attempted purchases may lead to substantial monetary fines, or even jail-time. Yes, jail. You think I’m messing with you? Go do some research on your state’s liquor laws. You’ll be appalled how serious this industry is.

So the next time you intend to hit up a drive-through, regardless of what business it is, think about how the person dealing with you feels. If you’re grabbing grub, plan your meal or order online for pick-up. If you don’t know what your local liquor store sells, go inside and take a gander. I promise, the air conditioning isn’t laced with poison. Hell, you might even find a new product that’ll tickle your fancy, or get you buzzed enough to get your fancy tickled. I don’t know about you, but I like a tickled fancy.

I do have some favorite scenarios involving the drive-through. Hey, surprise! Aaron’s not a complete fuddy-duddy.

I love most transactions asking for wine. Nine out of ten times, it’s very specific. Robert Mondavi Bourbon Barrel Cabernet? Got it. When it comes to wine in the fast lane, most people know what they want, and they know we have it. The only exception is the adventurous wine-o’s. I have a particular customer, and he loves me to pieces. Everytime I see that burgundy Rav4, I’m already on the hunt for a $15 bottle of something red. He doesn’t care what I end up handing him, but he knows I always pick a banger. He prefers a pinot noir, but I’ve been throwing curveballs at him lately. Now he’s a fan of Malbec and Bordeaux. I have yet to disappoint him.

Although, there are some wine-doofuses that rear their dented heads. “Can I get a bottle of Barefoot?” Cab? Merlot? Moscato? Pink Moscato? Red Moscato? Cranberry, pineapple, apple, peach, watermelon, strawberry Moscato? Pinot Grigio? Pinot Noir? Sauvignon Blanc? Chardonnay? Sweet Red Blend? Rich Red Blend?

I love getting paid by the hour.

All I ask of my readers is to be considerate. Plan ahead a bit. Remember some drive-throughs are based on speed. Be conscious of your intended purchases. Most importantly, don’t be a jackwagon like the crazy lady from the last chapter; use some sort of vehicle with wheels, damn it!

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Nose picker. This reminded me of someone I know. Sammy is six foot seven, built like a lumberjack, gentle as a lamb, and one of the nicest guys you can imagine. He was born a little slow, but capable of functioning on his own. I  was appalled when I found out kids at school called him Sammy the Booger Eater. When I asked why, they said, "Have you ever watched him?"

"Well, no."

I did and damned if he didn't. Still doesn't excuse the cruelty of the name.

Sorry for the totally off topic memory this brought up.

I had no idea drive thru fast food was timed.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Nose picker. This reminded me of someone I know. Sammy is six foot seven, built like a lumberjack, gentle as a lamb, and one of the nicest guys you can imagine. He was born a little slow, but capable of functioning on his own. I  was appalled when I found out kids at school called him Sammy the Booger Eater. When I asked why, they said, "Have you ever watched him?"

"Well, no."

I did and damned if he didn't. Still doesn't excuse the cruelty of the name.

Sorry for the totally off topic memory this brought up.

I had no idea drive thru fast food was timed.

Yes. There are little sensors along key points in a drive-through lane (menu, 1st window, 2nd window, and just past the 2nd window) that calculates how long a vehicle has been waiting. The moment you pull in front of that menu, the heat is on for the workers. Next time you go to a fast food joint, try to look for monitors up high with timers around the last windows station. 

A cheat around it is during lulls, employees will start doing laps in the drive-through, drastically lowering the average order time. Although, it's easily catchable should some high-up schmuck check cameras or see if there are times like 30 seconds from menu to order completed. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I know exactly what you mean by "nose-pickers". People who stand in the middle of the aisle, just staring at the wall of products as if they've never seen anything like it before. They seem to congregate around the refrigerated areas, such as the bacon, ice cream, and frozen entrees, though I've also seen a few near the dried pasta and the peanut butter. Drives me up the wall.

Of course, I have my own dilemma with the bacon, once the nose-pickers are gone. Thick cut? Hardwood smoked? Cherry, Apple, Hickory? Peppered or Maple? And the number of brands available in my supermarket really should be pared down.  :rolleyes:

Just read this latest chapter to my son again, and he totally relates to this. "Like the people who always stand in front of my yogurt!"  :lol:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I can sympathize with your dilemma,  but speaking from the car side, it can also be difficult.

I’ve never used a liquor drive through.  I am amazed there are such things!  And you are correct in 80% of drive throughs like McDonals, Burger King, etc.

However, we do utilize drive throughs at the local coffee/doughnut shops.  The drinks are the easy part.  The dilemma comes when you try ordering muffins or anything using bagels.  You often have to ask what they have left on the shelves and change your order accordingly.  One of our favorite places here often runs out of a popular bagel quickly (they really need to double up on their supply of those!), so I ask quickly, but plan otherwise.  I always try to get our order straight before we even get into the parking lot of the place, but that doesn’t always help.

I am aware of the timing clocks inside the various establishments.  I’ve seen them and how they count things up and start flashing at various points.  As a result, I have tried to help the workers with their timers.  But from the customer side, it can also be difficult.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh man, this brought some big time laughs and reminders of nose pickers I've encountered these past few weeks, one in particular.  I hate it when you are in a store and a group of people are in the aisle.  They are not even looking at the shelves but just standing there blocking the way for everyone while engaging in some useless conversation about a song, a tv show or hell even the weather at the beach.  The middle of a store, blocking the flow is not the place to make plans or discuss your interests.  I am there to get specific things.  I don't have the time or the energy to have to go all the way around and come up the other side to get my items...especially when I have just left physical therapy and I am tired as hell but I am at the store for my 85 year old father who has dementia but will only eat Ritz crackers (brand name only hahaha).  

And fast food places with timers, I never knew that!  I know after therapy I always pick my dad up lunch.  There are only 3 maybe 4 places he will eat from and they all know me by now.  One in particular that I love going to the lady  that usually works the drive thru always greet customers with "good morning baby, hope you are having a great day!  what can I get for you?" always!!  And when I get up there, she always says "baby, I thought that was you...how's your Daddy doing today?"  Love her!!  Anyway, I hate it for the fast food workers when they get a carload of people who have no clue what they want!!!  It's McDonalds people, the menu hasn't changed...oh and they all want it on separate orders!!! And then they are rude to the people at the window because they have to wait...  I mean damn, you are ordering 5 or 6 different orders and you expect it to be ready when you drive a few feet forward!!!  Go inside!!!!  I feel for all the people that have jobs that "force" you to deal with the "public".  I did it for 35 plus years and I hope I am never one of the "public" who is a "nose-picker"!!!  Prayers for all who have to deal with them!!!!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

I know exactly what you mean by "nose-pickers". People who stand in the middle of the aisle, just staring at the wall of products as if they've never seen anything like it before. They seem to congregate around the refrigerated areas, such as the bacon, ice cream, and frozen entrees, though I've also seen a few near the dried pasta and the peanut butter. Drives me up the wall.

Of course, I have my own dilemma with the bacon, once the nose-pickers are gone. Thick cut? Hardwood smoked? Cherry, Apple, Hickory? Peppered or Maple? And the number of brands available in my supermarket really should be pared down.  :rolleyes:

Just read this latest chapter to my son again, and he totally relates to this. "Like the people who always stand in front of my yogurt!"  :lol:

Nose-pickers dont just stand. They also drive, and don't move up when it's their turn to order at the menu. They're just sittin' there pickin'. 

Mmmmm bacon. There are some times that require you to nose-pick yourself. Just make sure you're aware of others if they need to get around you, or need product that's behind you. 

In fairness, there's a lot of yogurt out there. I'm pretty sure Yoplait can take up a whole 8ft section plus some of they wanted. 

2 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

I can sympathize with your dilemma,  but speaking from the car side, it can also be difficult.

I’ve never used a liquor drive through.  I am amazed there are such things!  And you are correct in 80% of drive throughs like McDonals, Burger King, etc.

However, we do utilize drive throughs at the local coffee/doughnut shops.  The drinks are the easy part.  The dilemma comes when you try ordering muffins or anything using bagels.  You often have to ask what they have left on the shelves and change your order accordingly.  One of our favorite places here often runs out of a popular bagel quickly (they really need to double up on their supply of those!), so I ask quickly, but plan otherwise.  I always try to get our order straight before we even get into the parking lot of the place, but that doesn’t always help.

I am aware of the timing clocks inside the various establishments.  I’ve seen them and how they count things up and start flashing at various points.  As a result, I have tried to help the workers with their timers.  But from the customer side, it can also be difficult.

Liquor drive-throughs are illegal in some states, just as selling cold beer, and not keeping the bottle in a bag. Good ol' Kentucky though; we do it all! C'mon in the fast lane, get a cold 30pack of beer, and I'll struggle with you trying to fit the damned thing in the window of a Dodge Charger while I'm dangling out of the store's window. Honest to God, I've had my coworkers hold my ankles so many times because people park half a football field away...

I also sympathize with the customers. I work at a small, Mom and Pop-esque store. We don't have space for all of the new products coming on the market. Our walk-in cooler is the size of a small storage unit, so with a new seltzer coming in every week, it's getting cramped. I sympathize a lot when I have to tell a customer we don't have the space to order and carry rainbow sherbert-flavored vodka (it's a thing). So when we're out of stock or don't carry it, I do my best to accommodate and recommend similar products to help aid the customer's decision. 

2 hours ago, Patch1 said:

Oh man, this brought some big time laughs and reminders of nose pickers I've encountered these past few weeks, one in particular.  I hate it when you are in a store and a group of people are in the aisle.  They are not even looking at the shelves but just standing there blocking the way for everyone while engaging in some useless conversation about a song, a tv show or hell even the weather at the beach.  The middle of a store, blocking the flow is not the place to make plans or discuss your interests.  I am there to get specific things.  I don't have the time or the energy to have to go all the way around and come up the other side to get my items...especially when I have just left physical therapy and I am tired as hell but I am at the store for my 85 year old father who has dementia but will only eat Ritz crackers (brand name only hahaha).  

And fast food places with timers, I never knew that!  I know after therapy I always pick my dad up lunch.  There are only 3 maybe 4 places he will eat from and they all know me by now.  One in particular that I love going to the lady  that usually works the drive thru always greet customers with "good morning baby, hope you are having a great day!  what can I get for you?" always!!  And when I get up there, she always says "baby, I thought that was you...how's your Daddy doing today?"  Love her!!  Anyway, I hate it for the fast food workers when they get a carload of people who have no clue what they want!!!  It's McDonalds people, the menu hasn't changed...oh and they all want it on separate orders!!! And then they are rude to the people at the window because they have to wait...  I mean damn, you are ordering 5 or 6 different orders and you expect it to be ready when you drive a few feet forward!!!  Go inside!!!!  I feel for all the people that have jobs that "force" you to deal with the "public".  I did it for 35 plus years and I hope I am never one of the "public" who is a "nose-picker"!!!  Prayers for all who have to deal with them!!!!

Oh, the Walmart family reunions! Stores should really create designated areas for these. They're all too frequent and bothersome. 

Sep... Separate orders. You know, fast food wouldn't hate this concept if the big-wigs would add a button for this on our kiosks. Sadly, they're smart enough to know the workers would abuse it. One car in drive-thru means one order. All separate orders in the same vehicle must be taken, created, bagged, and handed out in two minutes total... period. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Nose-pickers dont just stand. They also drive, and don't move up when it's their turn to order at the menu. They're just sittin' there pickin'. 

Mmmmm bacon. There are some times that require you to nose-pick yourself. Just make sure you're aware of others if they need to get around you, or need product that's behind you. 

In fairness, there's a lot of yogurt out there. I'm pretty sure Yoplait can take up a whole 8ft section plus some of they wanted. 

Liquor drive-throughs are illegal in some states, just as selling cold beer, and not keeping the bottle in a bag. Good ol' Kentucky though; we do it all! C'mon in the fast lane, get a cold 30pack of beer, and I'll struggle with you trying to fit the damned thing in the window of a Dodge Charger while I'm dangling out of the store's window. Honest to God, I've had my coworkers hold my ankles so many times because people park half a football field away...

I also sympathize with the customers. I work at a small, Mom and Pop-esque store. We don't have space for all of the new products coming on the market. Our walk-in cooler is the size of a small storage unit, so with a new seltzer coming in every week, it's getting cramped. I sympathize a lot when I have to tell a customer we don't have the space to order and carry rainbow sherbert-flavored vodka (it's a thing). So when we're out of stock or don't carry it, I do my best to accommodate and recommend similar products to help aid the customer's decision. 

Oh, the Walmart family reunions! Stores should really create designated areas for these. They're all too frequent and bothersome. 

Sep... Separate orders. You know, fast food wouldn't hate this concept if the big-wigs would add a button for this on our kiosks. Sadly, they're smart enough to know the workers would abuse it. One car in drive-thru means one order. All separate orders in the same vehicle must be taken, created, bagged, and handed out in two minutes total... period. 

Yep that was Walmart!!! Gotta love a family reunion in the aisles of Wally World!!  Also, Dad wanted fish for supper last night.  So of course he got it!  Anyway, after I ordered and got to the window, the guy politely asked me to pull forward.  I, been the curious person I am, asked if the were on a timer for customers..  He said the were and I just smiled and said I would gladly pull forward!  He thanked me and a few minutes later brought my food out with 2 desserts that I did not order.  He just smiled and said thanks for understanding. I thanked him and said it was not a problem and I would gladly pull forward for them anytime (this is the establishment that the lady always welcomes you with hey baby or honey...but she only works lunch).  This just shows you that a little bit of kindness and understanding goes a long way (and the lava cakes were damn good!).  And it's all because of a little entry in D.G.S. 😊💓

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Patch1 said:

Yep that was Walmart!!! Gotta love a family reunion in the aisles of Wally World!!  Also, Dad wanted fish for supper last night.  So of course he got it!  Anyway, after I ordered and got to the window, the guy politely asked me to pull forward.  I, been the curious person I am, asked if the were on a timer for customers..  He said the were and I just smiled and said I would gladly pull forward!  He thanked me and a few minutes later brought my food out with 2 desserts that I did not order.  He just smiled and said thanks for understanding. I thanked him and said it was not a problem and I would gladly pull forward for them anytime (this is the establishment that the lady always welcomes you with hey baby or honey...but she only works lunch).  This just shows you that a little bit of kindness and understanding goes a long way (and the lava cakes were damn good!).  And it's all because of a little entry in D.G.S. 😊💓

Such a cute story! Oooooooh, it was so cute! Thanks for sharing, Patch.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..