Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,475 Words
  • 514 Views
  • 10 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dear, Grocery Shoppers - 10. What's the Point?

I’ve had time to cool off from my rant about the wonderful and obviously perfect way of stocking groceries, and I have since moved on to an equally agitating concept. Moving up in the world is, probably, the most difficult thing I’ve ever tackled. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind stocking groceries until I’m old and gray, but I think I owe it to myself and my student loan debt to try my hand at getting a promotion.

Without a doubt in my mind, this is the hardest task I have given myself! I work hard, I tend to help other coworkers out when they’re struggling, and I can’t even remember the last time I’ve called in. A position opened up at the store I work at, and it seemed right up my alley! I knew I would have some stiff competition, but I had my fair share of experience and was willing to throw my hat in the ring.

I applied for our store’s Assistant Front End Lead, an assistant department lead position that places a worker in charge of running the checklanes and the customer service desk. I have experience in all of the positions, minus working in the accounting office, in this department. Out of all the other candidates, I knew two of them had the exact same amount and level of experience, putting personality and seniority into play. Seniority in my company is a big deal, as our company is union-based, and I only have two years under my belt, while another candidate had five.

Needless to say, I did not get the position, and I am fine with that, considering that the person who did receive it is far more experienced than I am. What prompted this entry was my interview. I have never been more disrespected in my life, and quite frankly, I will be passively looking for other employment. The selection process is set up to avoid situations like this, but yet, this is the second position interview I’ve been in for our store, just to be met with an overabundance in failure.

The store manager doing the interview is a very cut and dry military man. He sees everything in black and white, and I admire this quality in him. If he sees a new way of performing a task in the store, and it is more productive than the way our company demands, he throws out the company’s wishes and says, “Do it!” He loves a hard worker, and that’s why I get along with him. He is also a problem solver. Should a department have issues with meeting sales demands, he works with the leads to drive sales where they can, and in a productive manner, versus making declarations followed by walking away.

The problem is that I do not know how to proceed from my current position. Some questions in both of my interviews for different positions are simply impossible to tackle. I have thought long and hard about these questions for several days now, and my two Bachelor degrees plus ten years in retail have provided me diddly-squat.

“Do you have experience in working with our schedule-making software?” My answer is to list relative experience in other stores that I have made schedules for. “But that’s not our software.” Instant failure for the question.

“Do you have experience in ordering and managing inventory for the department you are applying for?” I reply with my experience in ordering and managing inventory for the mattress store I worked for as a salesman. “But that’s not involving a grocery store.” Instant failure for the question.

“What is your leadership style?” My leadership personality is exactly what our company wants: cookie-cutter. I prefer my term for it, which is cheer-leadership. I hand out high-fives (air-fives for COVID reasons) and praise for hard workers. In disciplinary actions, I encourage the concept of coaching, compared to wagging a finger and whipping out write-ups. If I can work with you verbally and demonstratively on how to properly do the task, then I will in a positive, but stern fashion. “But that requires no backbone.” Instant. Failure.

What is the point? I can provide the literal essence of what my company’s goals, attitude, and expectations consist of! If I have to, I’ll put a face on. I’ve been a salesman, so I know how to alter my personality to match the person I’m talking to and instantly be their best friend. I’m all about finding innovative ways to boost sales and making my job easier while getting more accomplished.

But how in the actual Hell am I supposed to get experience in the company’s schedule-making software when my current position doesn’t even involve logging into the computers for any reason. I don’t even have access to our handheld scanners, which would make certain aspects of my job easier. I have done everything but beg my supervisor to train me to use these handhelds. With our stock crew being short staffed, and a couple workers going on vacation soon, it would be smart to have one of your more capable employees cross-trained to do more! I will give her some credit, I have been recently trained to work with our bread deliveries, but once again, the handheld is required. I need to be able to do more.

As of right now, there are five workers on our crew that can do everything, and I mean everything. Our entire grocery department is in shambles, and these five people are spread thin. The dairy lead had to have emergency shoulder surgery, and will be out for six months. There goes one out of the five to take over the department. Our morning backstock team have been goofing up royally, so there goes another overnight superstar to supervise. As of yesterday evening, our main bread guy’s wife is having gallbladder issues and requires his undivided attention, and that takes another member of our dream squad. This leaves two out of the five to make the grocery department's order (that's ten aisle's worth of merchandise, plus displays and other fixtures), supervise the stooges, fill in displays, change displays, do product counts, let workers in when they've buzzed the front door, and assist wherever necessary.

Keep in mind that the A-team also has days off. I stocked bread for the second time in my life a few nights ago with no work being done with the handheld, so an order was not made, markdowns weren't made, and expired bread was left for someone else to do. Had I been given access to the handheld, like I have been asking for, I would be in a much better position to help out! Also, watching a 5’ 6” man use a dolly to carry stacks of bread that stand at seven feet tall is hilarious, and I am surprised no one videotaped me. I guarantee I looked like a dog hobbling on his hind legs while holding a tray of muffins.

Combined with the impossible interview questions and not being utilized properly on my stock crew, it is without a doubt that I have no way of moving up in a company that strives on promoting from within. While I am comfortable with my occupation, current pay and the amount of hours I work, I seek more. I strive to be a team player. If I see my superiors stressing out, and their tasks seem easy enough, I would be more than happy to help out!

But, as the current situation stands, I will not be given a chance to do so. I would much rather find an employer that is more flexible in handing out additional responsibilities. There isn’t even an increase in pay for what I’m asking to do. I want to make my supervisors’ lives easier! If I was in a supervisory position and someone wanted to do more work to make my life easier, I’d hand them tasks in a heartbeat, provided that they were competent!

The only option, at least in my point of view is to look for other avenues of opportunity, including outside my current company. I’ve been contemplating the idea, but seeing how I recently was awarded with full-time status, and the benefits are great, the thought was muddled until now. If another position opens up at my store, I’ll go for it, but not without equipping several snarky comebacks to the anticipated questions.

How am I to get the experience in company software if my job does not require me to use it? Have you ever seen me just shove aside a department lead and tell him/her that I am the proverbial captain now? What’s the point of these questions? What’s the point of applying for a higher position in your store? What is even the point of me sitting here?

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It sounds like they wrote the job description with one person in mind, and you were not that one person.  It happened all the time where I worked and it was well-known. Despite what you said about him, this manager does not sound very competent to me.

I think you should start looking more than ‘passively’ for that new employment.  It’s tough now, but, as you said, it looks like this is a dead-end for you here.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Just now, Clancy59 said:

It sounds like they wrote the job description with one person in mind, and you were not that one person.  It happened all the time where I worked and it was well-known. Despite what you said about him, this manager does not sound very competent to me.

I think you should start looking more than ‘passively’ for that new employment.  It’s tough now, but, as you said, it looks like this is a dead-end for you here.

I won't say that I'm actively looking, seeing how I took the time to write this entry, and also have my fingers flying to write more of my story chapters. I'll be keeping my eyes open on job-posting sites, and I may need to have a conversation with our store's union steward about how the interviews are being conducted. I spent the last two years of my college education focusing on business, with classes such as Business Ethics & Social Responsibilities, and Principles of Management. Interviewing is simple:  review all, and I mean all, candidates, and choose the most distinguished one. It is important to not settle on the first one that piques your interest, for you don't know what the other candidates will bring to the table. 

I agree that this company has turned into a dead-end for me, despite working in almost every department for over a year (I've had two stints with this company:  a four-year run during college, and a two-year run currently). I know my weaknesses, but I can't combat them. I can't change my six year-old tone, and I don't have the capability of being a demanding supervisory figure. That is what my store wants, and I can't provide that. 

My manager has been in the game for a while, but he knows what he wants in his store, and I think a cheerleader isn't it. Looking at all of the other leaders in the store, they're big and burly men that easily command a room, or ladies that have a Karen wig in their lockers and aren't afraid to tell their workers what to do. Yep...it's time to start looking. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree with what Clancy59 just said. Your store manager had already made up his mind who he wanted in the job. You are probably right that you will never be able to get any further where you are.
Back when I was involved in interviewing, I used to be in the position of asking the technical questions, after the cinema manager asked theirs (usually those horrible ones such as 'what do you consider your greatest weakness' or 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time'). There was a particular candidate who wanted to be promoted to chief projectionist and had four interviews in a year, at different sites. He was technically extremely competent and I had no doubt he would make a good job of running the projection team, but different managers rejected him for four different reasons. One said he lived too far away from the site, one didn't like his long hair, one didn't like that he was in the union and the last had already decided they wanted someone else for the job. Each time, he asked me to give feedback on what he was doing wrong and I had to try and be tactful as to why he'd not got the job. I told him to keep on trying and on his fifth interview he clicked with the manager and was given the job. The point of this long and rambling reply is that sometimes, people just pick someone for reasons of their own that you can never fathom out and then make excuses about why you didn't get the job.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Mawgrim said:

One said he lived too far away from the site, one didn't like his long hair, one didn't like that he was in the union and the last had already decided they wanted someone else for the job.

In my opinion as someone who has very little interviewing experience, but a lot of textbook business knowledge, these reasons are simply moronic. They do not speak of work ethic, attendance record, and enthusiasm for the position. If the worker was already showing up for work, the only hindrance for the first reason to be the deciding factor would be for an emergency reason, such as no other projectionist being available to perform the task. The second reason should no longer be a factor in any role, other than in the food industry. The third and fourth suggests a bias or favoritism, which can not be upheld in a successful business. 

Thank you for your comment! I'm sad to see myself leaving the company again, as it has become a go-to when in dire need of employment.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Totally agree with you there. I used to get very frustrated by some of the cinema managers attitudes. I was there in an advisory role to make sure the candidate was suitably technically competent, but the final decision to employ or not was the manager's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree with them above, that the manager already had the person in mind for the position. I remember when my manager at a convenience store had told me to help her with ordering and showed me how to do it and when she got to work she would send the order in. That helped her. She had me do a lot of stuff there to help her out. But when she quit, another manager from another store came in and asked why was I doing the ordering cause that was not my job. I told her that the old manager had me do it to make her job easier since she could wait on customers without any interruptions while doing other work. She told me to stop and she would do the ordering. When our new manager was hired, he ae me the job back when he found out I was the one that had time to fill out the order and had done so before. When the old manager quit, another employee and I was the only 2 employees working so we both worked 12 hour shifts for a 24 hour store 7 days a week. But did I get a raise for doing more. No, I didn't. I was the low totem pole employee. Needless to say, I actually lost my job because someone was stealing from the company that worked for a different store and everytime I would relieve her, she would write down the wrong dipstick number of how many tubes of money was in the safe under the register that we used to et extra money like ones, 5's, 10's and 20's for when we needed to break large bills people would hand us to pay for their stuff. I was fired. But wasn't told to come back when I found out that the employee doing the writing had gotten fired for the same thing they fired me for, which I didn't do. I did get unemployment for a year due to the fact that my manager was not the one to do the unemployment interview and I was more prepared than the general manager.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

I agree with them above, that the manager already had the person in mind for the position. I remember when my manager at a convenience store had told me to help her with ordering and showed me how to do it and when she got to work she would send the order in. That helped her. She had me do a lot of stuff there to help her out. But when she quit, another manager from another store came in and asked why was I doing the ordering cause that was not my job. I told her that the old manager had me do it to make her job easier since she could wait on customers without any interruptions while doing other work. She told me to stop and she would do the ordering. When our new manager was hired, he ae me the job back when he found out I was the one that had time to fill out the order and had done so before. When the old manager quit, another employee and I was the only 2 employees working so we both worked 12 hour shifts for a 24 hour store 7 days a week. But did I get a raise for doing more. No, I didn't. I was the low totem pole employee. Needless to say, I actually lost my job because someone was stealing from the company that worked for a different store and everytime I would relieve her, she would write down the wrong dipstick number of how many tubes of money was in the safe under the register that we used to et extra money like ones, 5's, 10's and 20's for when we needed to break large bills people would hand us to pay for their stuff. I was fired. But wasn't told to come back when I found out that the employee doing the writing had gotten fired for the same thing they fired me for, which I didn't do. I did get unemployment for a year due to the fact that my manager was not the one to do the unemployment interview and I was more prepared than the general manager.

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I understand wanting to help out where it's needed, but there is a difference between helping and doing someone else's job. I learned this when I worked as a salesman for a mattress company. With only a team of three people, one being the manager, sometimes different responsibilities were forced upon all of us. My manager was the self-proclaimed "numbers guy" and didn't see why he was the one to do the visual changes (hanging large banners, changing pricing signage, ensuring all sign collateral was up to company expectations). He saw me and my (at the time) ambitions for home decoration as an excuse to "cross-train" me for that responsibility. I did not mind such responsibilities, as it got me out of dealing with shoppers and making cold-calls. 

The district manager found out about this, and how I also performed the weekly store audit, and I was immediately pulled to the side. He explained to me properly how I don't get paid to do that, and my manager does. He did tell me how appreciative he was for stepping up when my manager should have, but assured me that it was not my responsibility. To this day, that DM still chats me up on Facebook and checks in. He's still on the look-out for an auditor position for me, since I almost failed our store each time, since I'm a stickler for operations and argued that a certain walkway should be deemed necessary and it was not OSHA standard (36 inch walkway for wheelchairs). But I was shot down each time. I went to his prized store during a training session and told him to look up, and he saw the nastiest air filter in his life. Needless to say, that go fixed within the training weekend. 

Edited by astone2292
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I completely agree with you!  I think a big part is "they" also know what a hard and capable worker you are and they don't to move you up because they also know they will not be able to find someone to fill your shoes...  Same old story - the harder you work, the less chance you have for any promotion.  I wish you all the luck and good vibes in rectifying the situation.  Rock and a hard place!!

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It's too bad you don't live about a hundred miles to the NW.  My company (a garden center and grower) is hiring and needs people like you (smart, fast, and hardworking).  Good luck!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have been retired for 17 years from a 40+ year career with computer software.  During that time, I worked at two companies as a computer programmer and then at four companies as a software tester.  Twice, I was unemployed, during which times I had many interviews.  I too had an interview from Hell, which I describe at [http://www.rossde.com/unemployed/unempl_interv_hell.html]

 

I have four other Web pages describing my experiences being unemployed at [http://www.rossde.com/unemployed/index.html].  However, you will notice that my experiences were more than 20 years ago.  My unemployment ended as the job market improved significantly, which is not the case today.  Not all of the lessons I learned, however, are obsolete. 

 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..