Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,657 Words
  • 802 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Primal Park - 3. Don't Look Back

This chapter features a character going through therapy for a mental health issue.

"Okay, let's take it from the top. Why are we here, Stephen?"

Departing the kaḯki, the young Astaran human looked behind him, making sure there was no one following him off the raft. "To fix my stupid brain."

The therapist clicked his tongue disapprovingly. As a salty gust blew at their backs, the neko's blue-gray ears twitched. "Do I need to remind you about that word?"

Stephen groaned. "Yeah, yeah. Stupid's the only stupid word."

"Good! Again, why are we here?"

The half-cat, half-man was slow to grow on him, but Stephen could not ignore the progress they made together. Taking a deep breath, he walked down the pier. "This is the final test, isn't it? See how I do with being"—clearing his throat, he mustered the bravery to finish the sentence—"being hunted. Right, Thaddeus?"

The neko patted his shoulder. "Right. Let's get checked in. I would hate to have flown all the way here just to lose our spot."

Stephen agreed. The month-long trip through space was interesting, to say the least. It was always a nuisance when the gravity changed and forced a shift. Floating around a spaceship using four furry paws as paddles was a challenge. Properly landing on the floor when the artificial gravity kicked in was next to impossible for him. The wonderful perks of being a werewolf.

He followed Thaddeus into the resort office. His mind went adrift as the therapist spoke with the Cervidas receptionist. Going to Primal Park on this… Egara planet was the ultimate mental check. At least for his mind. His wolf's was another story.

Recalling the dark alleyway was no longer a harmful memory. The only issue remained was the leering gazes and whenever someone or something followed him. He sensed them that night, and he should have acted. For the longest time after, he assumed when he was being watched, a beating was soon to follow.

Thaddeus was Stephen's only solace. Two months into their sessions together, the werewolf's animal mind agreed the neko was worthy of their trust. It took just as long to tell the therapist the whole story.

A year ago, he went to his friendly, neighborhood bar. Some called it sleazy, but it was practically his second home. He wasn’t an alcoholic, but Stephen met many of his fellow veterans there. Although they spoke of their time in the service, they never revealed the finer details. That night, Stephen had just the right amount of booze.

Then he woke up in the hospital. His face thumped along with his heart, pulsing with every beat. He stayed in the hard bed for nearly a week, each night becoming a nightmare. There was no memory or reason, but each time night fell in the window, Stephen shook uncontrollably from fear. After the third evening, the staff covered the glass with a blanket. On the fifth day, he understood what time it was when certain nurses and doctors visited him. He may not have seen the sun, but he knew whether it was up or down.

That was when Thaddeus entered his life.

As they spoke, more and more memories seeped back into the werewolf’s mind. Conversations, certain people, sounds, tastes… Each one unlocked mental pieces of the puzzle. Thaddeus enjoyed sending Stephen back into that bar. Even though it provided answers, there were things the mind should not remember.

Just as Stephen recalled the falling boot stomping his forehead, he felt Thaddeus’ gentle touch on the shoulder. “Ready? We’re going to meet your hunters, okay?”

“R-right.”

He followed Thaddeus like always. It was another one of the strategies he was introduced to by the neko. Any chance he could get, he was to follow a companion instead of leading or walking side by side. The goal was to normalize the sensation at every opportunity. His wolven instincts despised the idea, as it reminded him of bootcamp and taking orders. Thaddeus solved the issue swiftly by explaining the person following was truly in command. In an actual wolf-pack, the leader typically took a position in the rear to watch the group’s movements, and that pleased the animal’s conscience.

The lounge was already occupied by two males, an Egaro and what looked to be a Dalmar. Stephen had never seen one, let alone treat one. The canine-like species was interesting, at least from the werewolf's perspective. Despite the species’ reputation, he seemed calm, yet attentive. His educator told him about their pepper capsules they used to enable their natural berserker-like rage.

Garbed in a long, yellow robe that nearly blended with his golden fur, he rose from his seat and spoke with a soft, husky voice. "A pleasure meeting you. This one is Jeviche, and that one is Vasil."

The grammar seemed off, so Stephen assumed Xanthian was not Jeviche’s first language. When Stephen offered a handshake, the Dalmar looked at it, then smiled eagerly and he completed the gesture. "This one has heard of this exchange with Astarans. The strength used means the commitment of the bond, correct?"

"Right. I guess it means many things to us."

Thaddeus approached. "It's a fine way of measuring one another. Strength, the way the other's hand feels, warmth."

"The way the hand feels?" questioned Jeviche.

"If the skin is calloused and rough, it shows they work with their hands. Soft and smooth means they take care of themselves."

"Ah! Then the hand this one shook tells of a balance. Soft, yet not afraid of dirty work."

Stephen appreciated the compliment, but from Jeviche's natural scent, it was obvious. The Dalmar was not his mate. It didn’t upset him, but if Stephen could find a partner along life’s path, he would take him or her without question. "Thank you, sir. I'm Stephen Lang, and this is my friend and therapist, Thaddeus."

The green Egaro greeted them with a warm smile. "I'm honored to serve you, Mr. Lang. I read on the file you're a veteran of the Imperial invasion of Astara. This isn't a typical hunt, is it?"

"No," answered Thaddeus. "It's a session, one that may mark the end of our professional relationship."

Stephen went into detail with the hunters. He was stationed at a military trauma center for wounded. What set him apart from the other medics was his code of ethics. He treated and bandaged any and all that came, regardless of species. His comrades had a tendency to work on Astarans first, just as the military commanded.

He didn't see it that way. A life was a life, even if they were destined to be prisoners of war. He was the most qualified to treat the Daknar and Lidikrys, and even performed minor surgery when the situation grew dire. The rat-like Lidikrys were similar in some ways to the three-race structure of Astarans, but only on the inside. However, the lizard Daknar proved to be more difficult with being a cold-blooded people. Even more so considering they were impervious to most of the Astaran offense. Only werewolves were the key to their defeat, which made treating Daknar difficult for Stephen. They often looked at him in fear, despite his pleas for peace.

The alley behind the bar flashed in his mind once again. "I've taken my fair share of licks because of it."

Concerned, Jeviche leaned forward. "You were disciplined for doing a duty?"

"I was disciplined for treating the enemy."

The Dalmar's agitation became apparent. "By one's superiors?"

Stephen shook his hung head. "No. My peers, then other vets when I returned home. My commanding officers could never reprimand me for saving POWs. It never got physical until—"

Jeviche rose abruptly. The Astaran saw the glint of anger in his eyes. The Dalmar glared at Thaddeus. "This one will give his best. What is required?"

"Same here," grumbled Vasil. His frustration was reserved but equally passionate.

Thaddeus sat across from them. "Your dedication is admirable. The purpose of this session is for Stephen to normalize the sensation of being followed. You can do this in any manner you see fit, so long as there isn't contact."

"Thaddeus," Stephen asked, patting the neko's shoulder, "can we work our way up to that? I… I think it should happen in case someone comes from behind and tries to grab my attention."

After a moment of thought, Thaddeus's ears flicked. "I agree, but like you said, we'll warm up to that. Perhaps in the last hour of our time in the park. All I ask is that the hunters work off my visual signs. If I hold a fist over my head, we're taking a pause. When I wave, we're good to go."

Vasil nodded. "Got it. If need be, we'll have our com-pads on, and you should have our contacts from the package agreement."

"Ah, yes! Here you go, Stephen."

A notification sounded from his pocket after Thaddeus padded away on his device. Stephen quickly messaged both Vasil and Jeviche so they would recognize who was contacting them. "Great. So what's next?"

"Healer?" asked Vasil as he turned to the neko.

Thaddeus blushed. "Please, just Thaddeus. I think that covers it for your part, gentlemen. We'll be ready to go in a few minutes, but I'll need a moment with Stephen before we proceed."

"Very well. We'll get fitted for the experience, then we'll go ahead into the park." Vasil rose, but instead of leaving, he stood in front of the Astaran. "Normally, customers choose me so they can go against King, my alter-ego. This time, I'll be hunting, but I may switch with King later. You'll notice the difference."

Perturbed, Stephen nodded. "And Jeviche?"

The Dalmar merely smiled. "You will feel this one’s gaze but will not see it unless it is planned."

Turning to Thaddeus, he expressed his concern, "So you won't know what these two are going to do?"

"Not in the slightest," answered the neko. "They know not to make contact whatsoever, but how they follow you is up to them. How you respond is up to your instincts. Remember, this is your final test of whether or not you need me anymore."

When Jeviche and Vasil left through a different door, Stephen grimaced. "But I don't want our friendship to be over."

"This will never be over. Just our professional relationship. If you think I'll give you up as a friend that easily, you're dreaming."

He chuckled under his breath. "You just want more of my mom's curdled cheese."

Thaddeus shivered, clearly pleased. "I will find out her secret. The herbs and tomatoes were perfect, but there's something else I can't place."

"Maybe she'll pay you with the recipe when you fix my stu—" catching himself, he continued, "solve my issues."

"There you go. Let's go get ready."

They walked through the same door the hunters went through and were met with an aide. The Cervidas fitted them both with a GPS ankle bracelet and a backpack. Inside were some food bars, a full container of water, and other essentials. The deer-man explained, "Since your allotted time is over five hours, we prepared a few satchels. Those bars are specialized meals. They don't taste great, but they provide enough calories to feed a grown Egaro."

Understanding, Stephen grabbed one. "So a half will fill me. I'll remember to nibble."

Strapping on the bags, the duo walked out. The sunlight was bright, and the salty, ocean winds prevailed once again, gusting them. "A beautiful day," said Thaddeus.

"Yeah…" Stephen looked around him as they stepped away from the building. His instincts were shaky, but they'd come a long way since that night. This was nothing like then. "It will always be unexpected."

"That's right. Even with your hunters knowing every step you take, you can never anticipate fate. Soothe your wolf."

"Trying to, but we're already being watched."

"Are we?"

Stephen gave it to the neko. He genuinely seemed lost and confused. Something nudged the back of Stephen’s mind. He spun and saw them. Perched on the roof, they were silhouettes in the sun. As fast as he found them, they fell back, escaping his vision.

"What are you looking at?"

"They were up there. It's like they were waiting for us."

Contrary to what Stephen expected, Thaddeus simply shrugged off the encounter. "Wow. We should've done this more often. Seeing you in action is different than having you on the chaise."

He saw through the cat’s tactic. “You’re ignoring them on purpose, aren’t you?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Thaddeus replied. It was curt and laced with sarcasm. This was an unfamiliar side of the therapist. Before, he was attentive and focused. Now, the lackadaisical nature disturbed Stephen.

***

Walking along a trail through the plains, the werewolf’s instincts were going haywire. It had been thirty minutes since the initial sighting, and the anticipation for the next was staggering. Every so often, Thaddeus would pat Stephen’s shoulder, calming him down.

An hour into the session, Stephen stared off into the nearby wooded area. He thought he saw the Egaro’s yellow eye, but there was no certainty. It was the third time he felt concerned, and there was no way he was going to point it out to the neko. Repeating the last response within his mind, Stephen rolled his eyes. “It’s nothing.”

It was Thaddeus’s new slogan about life. “It’s probably the wind.” “You’re hearing things again. “I think your wolf farted inside your head.”

The more they walked, the more irritated Stephen became. The last time he hadn’t cared about being followed, he was beaten. If the neko cared any less, he might as well drop off a cliff and into the water. It was practically what happened to Stephen last year. He knew he was being followed, but he did nothing. And look what he got because of it! An assault. One that landed him in a hospital. One that led him to a psychiatric ward.

A chill went down his spine. The beating led him to Thaddeus, who was acting like him in the bar’s alleyway. Stephen sneered. “He’s acting like it’s okay,” he whispered under his breath.

“Hm?” hummed Thaddeus. “Did you say something?”

“You’re ignoring them.”

“You’re still on them? Where are they this time?” The neko held his hand over his eyebrows, as if to block the sunlight from his vision. “Are they in a tree? Maybe they’ve dug a hole underneath us and plan to tickle our feet.”

Stephen growled. “You should take this seriously.”

“And you need to chill out,” Thaddeus responded. The therapist deadpanned at him. “C’mon. Let’s take a break under that tree.”

They sat in the shade, but Stephen remained alert. When a water bottle was tossed in his lap, he snapped out of his trance. "What?"

Thaddeus uncapped his own. "You're doing fine, but I expected less paranoia out of you today."

"What do you mean?"

"Remember last week? We walked the block around my office to get biscuits at the cafe? That's when I thought you could handle this. Having actual lurkers watch you."

Staring at the container, Stephen lifted it and prepared to sip. "Then what am I doing wrong?"

The neko hummed to himself. "I think your instincts are too tightly wound. You instantly expect these hunters to do something bad. Remember their stipulation during the sit-down?"

"They can't touch me," he whispered.

"So why do you think they will? Is it because their job titles are hunters? They're so much more than that, Stephen. They know when and how to push your buttons. I think the key here is for you to rein in your wolf. Do you remember what I told you when we first met?"

"At the hospital?"

Stephen's mind went to the room with blanketed windows. He was wary of the neko then, but his wolf calmed when Thaddeus patted his ankle. The human repeated the words, "Not everyone is out to get me."

"Say it again."

"Not everyone's out to get me."

Thaddeus glared. "Again and mean it this time."

"No one's out to get me, damn it!"

There was a moment of silence between them. The therapist huffed and rose with a groan. "Then show me. I'm going to message Vasil and Jeviche. They're going to follow us more directly from now on. Prove to me you can handle it."

Thaddeus was being blunt and commanding, quite contrary to his former behavior. He always held Stephen's hand when it came to development, but now the man with blue cat ears acted strict. Stephen's wolf relished the challenge thrown at him.

They continued on the beaten trail, but they were no longer alone. Vasil followed from a visible distance. There was no sign of Jeviche, until the golden fur was spotted fifteen minutes later. The Dalmar chose a head-on approach. As they crossed paths, Jeviche never took his eyes off Stephen, unnerving the Astaran.

Once the Dalmar passed, both of the hunters pursued side by side. Stephen felt their gazes, but he heeded Thaddeus's request. "They're not going to do anything," he thought to himself.

Over time, the Egaro and Dalmar took different positions during the next phase of the session. They flanked Stephen and Thaddeus. Jeviche was the more daring of the duo. He went as far as directly following the werewolf for brief seconds before backing off. Vasil favored jogging to Stephen's left, only to alternate expressions each time. There were friendly smiles, disturbed glances, and even malicious grins. Stephen determined that the latter came from the alter-ego, King.

Thaddeus thumbed his com-pad. "You're doing great, Stephen. Think you're up to add some communication? They won't say anything demeaning or insensitive, but it will help normalize conversations coming from behind you."

Stephen nodded.

Both of the hunters took a position behind him. The first few statements came as a surprise, but after rationalizing them, he calmed his wolf when they were deemed safe.

"Hey, sir? Your laces are loose. Don't want you to trip."

"Your outfit shines in the sun. It looks nice."

"Anyone up for a race?"

The Egaro's question excited Stephen's wolf. He turned and saw another one of King's smirks. Knowing full-well he could never outrun the taller male, he accepted the challenge regardless. With no response, the werewolf took off.

He heard the Egaro clomping behind him, but there was only excitement coursing through Stephen's body. The sheer fun of running with someone else shelved all of his worries. Several minutes later, the runners slowed to a halt. Sweat beaded down Stephen's forehead and Vasil's fur. Observing the droplets, Stephen noticed Vasil's had a green tint as they splashed onto the dirt below. "You—" He huffed as he stretched his back. "You dye your fur?"

"Yeah," Vasil replied. "My natural coat is yellow, but I wanted something to make my eyes contrast."

"So you dyed your fur instead of getting a contact?"

The cat shrugged. "I like my yellow eye."

Stephen studied it. "It goes well with the green."

"Thanks. I thought about switching to blue, but you and my boyfriend have convinced me to stick with it."

"Boyfriend?"

Vasil beamed. "Yeah, his name's Lennox. He's my little buck-cub. Been with him for a bit, and while I never saw myself settling down with a Cervidas, he's making the thought pretty tempting. You got someone special?"

Shaking his head, Stephen pocketed his hands. "No. I'm kind of holding out for a true mate."

"Heard about that with the werewolves. Sounds kind of awesome knowing there's someone out there you're meant to be with."

"It's a double-edged blade," he explained. "They're almost perfect in every way, but the odds of finding one are slim. There are occasions where we spend enough time with someone, a relationship can overpower the desire to hunt for our mate. Until then, we often wander around aimlessly."

"Well," Vasil mumbled with a smirk, "Jeviche and I were talking earlier in the hunt, and he's practically smitten by you. It's not often he finds someone interesting, so…"

Thinking of the Dalmar, the wolf inside Stephen was warm to the idea. Knowing they would need to find alternatives to have children of their own bothered him, but if the relationship went well, it didn't matter. "We're staying on Egara for a few days, so I'll say something."

"If all else fails, Lennox and I were looking for a third for one of our cuddle-puddles."

The cheeky remark was suave, and the offer was tempting. He was about to ask about Vasil's interest in a polyamorous relationship with Lennox but remembered the sexual culture of the Egaran people. "That's a definite maybe. I haven't been with anyone off Astara, but I'm not opposed to expanding some horizons."

"Good to hear," Vasil said huskily. "Let's head back. Don't need Thaddeus thinking I chased you off a cliff."

Rejoining the others, Stephen noticed Jeviche's lingering eyes. The attraction was obvious. Landing next to Thaddeus, he contemplated the next step. "Hey. I… I think I'm ready for contact."

Thaddeus's eyebrows raised. "Wow! That must've been some race you two had. Just curious, Vasil. That wasn't your fastest, was it?"

The Egaro snickered. "Not by a long-shot. I was dragging my heels to make some noise. That didn't bother you, did it Stephen?"

"Nope," he answered. "But I'd like to try again with Jeviche, if that's okay. My wolf liked the run."

The Dalmar straightened up, almost as if he was surprised. "Of course. Whatever this one can do to help."

"Cool. Let's see if you can catch me," Stephen teased.

Jeviche growled softly. "Ahziss kasash jer sharra. May you find luck, bishu fa."

Hearing the Dalmar’s native language was music to his ears. "Bishu fa?"

"Little one," he translated.

Again, Stephen took off without a warning, but he was not as successful in this attempt. Jeviche remained at his side. "You are fast. This one is impressed."

A blend of emotions swirled. Stephen was intimidated by his competitor's speed, but he also felt pushed to do better. Picking up speed, he was determined to best the dog.

But Jeviche kept up without much trouble. "You're pretty fast, eh, Jevi?"

"Yes. Are you holding more in the back?"

"I got a little something. Here… Here in a bit, could you tap my shoulder if you catch me?"

"If?" The Dalmar smiled. "Yes. You will stop if you do not like it?"

Stephen nodded, then sprinted as hard as he could. A sense of unease passed through him, knowing he was about to be properly chased and grabbed. "No," he thought, "it's Jeviche. He's here to help m—"

His chaser dropped back and lightly rapped Stephen's shoulder blade.

Panic trickled, forcing him to stop. The golden blur passing him shifted into the lone alleyway light. Stephen gritted his teeth. "No!"

He was done with that night. Simply sick and tired of it. He tensed all of his muscles as he gripped his hair. "I'm better than that!" he shouted. Staring at the ground, the wet concrete of the street wavered away, returning to the dirt trail.

Suddenly enveloped by damp fur, Stephen gasped. It was warm, musky, and tight. He saw the yellow strands of hair, instantly recognizing Jeviche.

"You are better," he hissed. The Dalmar was not angry, but the tone sounded as if he was disappointed. "You are better because this one sees it."

"Jeviche," Stephen whispered under his breath.

The hug was loosened enough for the men to look at each other. "This one has never worked with one like you. Pink, fleshy, and soft… yet strong, fast, and determined."

Blushing, Stephen was about to say something, but Jeviche's finger laced his cheek. "Color change. What does this mean?"

"I… It's infatuation. I like your compliments."

"Ah. Like love, but not strong enough."

Swallowing, the Astaran asked, "Is that what you feel?"

"Yes," Jevich breathed huskily. "You are different from the other clients. You were hurt and trusted this one to help. Jeviche is honored to be chosen for this task."

Stephen chuckled. "I read your kind can be a proud race, but I wasn't expecting a gentleman."

Jeviche reached behind him and fumbled around in a hip-pouch. He held a red capsule out. "These enable our abilities as a Dalmar. One sniff, and this one goes into a rage. It is what allows Dalmar to be beasts on the battlefield."

"But that's not you, is it?"

"This one came to Egara for a new life. The park is refreshing. This one can use his speed and skill without the pepper. There is no need for anger or force." Jeviche glanced at Stephen. "Then there is you. You showed me there are other meanings to work here."

Remembering Vasil's words, Stephen smiled. "Can I try something?"

"Will it help?"

"I think so."

Jeviche nodded.

The Astaran spun slowly in the Dalmar's arms. Taking a deep breath, Stephen braced his mind and relaxed as he reclined into Jeviche's hold. He shook a little, but it was vastly different from the assault. It was embodying and wholesome, unlike the battering.

Thaddeus and Vasil jogged up to them, and both of them were grinning ear to ear. "Well, well. Taking a hug from behind. I didn't think we'd get here today. Stephen, are you just going to do that with Jeviche, or do you want to try it with Vasil?"

Craning to see the slightly taller Dalmar, Stephen asked, "Do you mind?"

"This one will allow it, though you feel nice here."

Stephen agreed and begrudgingly left to be in Vasil's. While the Egaro had bulkier muscles and held him tighter, Jeviche's warmth was missed. Regardless, controlled contact was starting to normalize.

Which meant they needed to focus on unexpected contact. Stephen and Thaddeus still had two hours left in their experience. The hunters darted off in different directions, and after a few seconds, Stephen had no clue where they were. Fifteen minutes later, he was swept off his feet. It startled him, but he recognized the green fur. "Figured Jeviche would be making this move."

Vasil set him down. "Had to get permission from him. A heads up, he's way past smitten now."

With that said, Vasil ran away. In the coming prods, caresses, and finger-flicks, Stephen found himself initially perturbed by the actions, but his haunts stayed away. The only one that sent him back to the alley was a soft slap to his back by Vasil. Before Thaddeus could scold the Egaro, Stephen asked for another. He wanted to make more progress.

An alarm rang on the neko's com-pad. "Time's almost up. We should head back to the office. You did a complete one-eighty today. I'm proud of you, Stephen."

"Couldn't have done it without you, Vasil, and Jeviche."

"Speaking of, I never pegged you to go after a guy like him."

Rolling his eyes, he fished the water from his pack. "Yeah, yeah. I get it. Dog likes dog. He's not my mate, but Vasil and I talked earlier. I think he's different."

Thaddeus had a one-sided smile. "Uh-huh… Moving on. I believe we have one or two more sessions, but that'll be it. You met your hunters today, but I need you to experience more unexpected contact with strangers."

"Okay, so how's that going to happen?"

The neko's ears twitched. "We'll be coming back tomorrow using two different hunters, and you won't get to meet them. Until then, I've been invited to a cuddle-puddle, so you'll have the hotel room to yourself," he said with a wink. "Or perhaps not."

Stephen looked behind him and saw the hunters sauntering together. Almost immediately, Jeviche met his gaze. As the werewolf slowed his pace, the Dalmar increased his. Meeting halfway, they walked together. "So, got any dinner plans?"

"None. Do you?"

"I'd like to."

Copyright © 2022 astone2292, Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Breaking through one's fears after severe traumatization takes strength and courage, sometimes that courage simply needs to hear the words...enough!!   

"They can't touch me," he whispered. 

"So why do you think they will? Is it because their job titles are hunters? They're so much more than that, Stephen. They know when and how to push your buttons. I think the key here is for you to rein in your wolf. Do you remember what I told you when we first met?"

"At the hospital?" 

Stephen's mind went to the room with blanketed windows. He was wary of the neko then, but his wolf calmed when Thaddeus patted his ankle. The human repeated the words, "Not everyone is out to get me."

"Say it again."

"Not everyone's out to get me."

Thaddeus glared. "Again and mean it this time." 

"No one's out to get me, damn it!" 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Breaking through one's fears after severe traumatization takes strength and courage, sometimes that courage simply needs to hear the words...enough!!   

"They can't touch me," he whispered. 

"So why do you think they will? Is it because their job titles are hunters? They're so much more than that, Stephen. They know when and how to push your buttons. I think the key here is for you to rein in your wolf. Do you remember what I told you when we first met?"

"At the hospital?" 

Stephen's mind went to the room with blanketed windows. He was wary of the neko then, but his wolf calmed when Thaddeus patted his ankle. The human repeated the words, "Not everyone is out to get me."

"Say it again."

"Not everyone's out to get me."

Thaddeus glared. "Again and mean it this time." 

"No one's out to get me, damn it!" 

Glad you liked the chapter, doc. Stephen was an interesting character to write for. I used Hawkeye Pierce as a model, but gave him some of Cyn's (Cernunnos) PTSD. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

We finally got to learn how Vasil/King and Lennox made out from chapter 1.  This was a beautiful and tender story about how Stephen overcomes dealing with PTSD and finds love at the same time.  A truly enjoyable tale.  

  • Love 4
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Bill W said:

We finally got to learn how Vasil/King and Lennox made out from chapter 1.  This was a beautiful and tender story about how Stephen overcomes dealing with PTSD and finds love at the same time.  A truly enjoyable tale.  

Now the question is whether Lennox prefers Vasil or King in bed. ;) 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Stephen Lang. You would pick the name of one of my favorite actors, a very underappreciated one in my opinion.

One should never ignore instincts or lose situational awareness. A little paranoia is a good thing.

The park gave Thaddeus an opportunity to ease Stephen out of full blown panic attacks in a controlled environment. It also offered Stephen a love interest. A loving partner will help his healing too.

Well done.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Stephen Lang. You would pick the name of one of my favorite actors, a very underappreciated one in my opinion.

One should never ignore instincts or lose situational awareness. A little paranoia is a good thing.

The park gave Thaddeus an opportunity to ease Stephen out of full blown panic attacks in a controlled environment. It also offered Stephen a love interest. A loving partner will help his healing too.

Well done.

Completely unplanned. I had to Google him, and I remember him doing great in Avatar and Tombstone. 

Stephen and Jeviche are cute as can be, but I wonder how Thaddeus will handle Vasil and Lennox in their cuddle puddle...

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Simply beautiful and very romanticle. You're grasp and working in of psychology never stops amazing me. With every story you write, the art is better and better. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, RainbowPhoenixWI said:

Simply beautiful and very romanticle. You're grasp and working in of psychology never stops amazing me. With every story you write, the art is better and better. 

Ironically, I nearly flunked my required psychology class in college. Professor was one of the best, but I couldn't nail the terminology and hypotheticals she threw at her students. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I read this earlier but then a friend/co-worker called. They'd had an accident at their house. I took them to the H and found out they broke both their shoulders! So, I got them medicated and tucked in for a nap while they wait for their kid to drive down from PDX to stay with them for the week. 

But now I'm back! 

I think it's great that each chapter you highlight unique situations that benefit from this unorthodox'd hunt. This chapter was no different. You dealt with trauma/PTSD respectfully and with a happy ending. On to the final chapter.

Edited by Mrsgnomie
  • Love 2
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

I read this earlier but then a friend/co-worker called had an accident at their house. I took them to the H and found out they broke both their shoulders! So, I got them medicated and tucked in for a nap while they wait for their kid to drive down from PDX to stay with them for the week. 

But now I'm back! 

I think it's great that each chapter you highlight unique situations that benefit from this unorthodox'd hunt. This chapter was no different. You dealt with trauma/PTSD respectfully and with a happy ending. On to the final chapter.

Hope the friend is okay. 

We had numerous ideas for potential chapters. Enough so we could have another go-round if we felt like it :)

Link to comment

 "I think your wolf farted inside your head.”

OMFG! How did I not come up with this line first!!?? Damn you!! Yes, you Aaron. It's got your snark written all over it. Well played. 

Another great chapter. Loved the spin on exposure therapy. Now Stephen can enjoy getting laid. 😀 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, kbois said:

 "I think your wolf farted inside your head.”

OMFG! How did I not come up with this line first!!?? Damn you!! Yes, you Aaron. It's got your snark written all over it. Well played. 

Another great chapter. Loved the spin on exposure therapy. Now Stephen can enjoy getting laid. 😀 

 

I'll take that line, and you get your version of the "bs" word you came up with. Fair's fair. 

I wonder which position Stephen will end up in first? :P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..