Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 6,523 Words
  • 3,604 Views
  • 32 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rising in the Shadows - 27. Chapter 27: Galvanic Gig

Hands shook as Kaplan bit his lip. He wants to apologize? Should I allow it? The choices were obvious, but the path to making one was clouded. Alex has been such an ass over the last year! He’s taunted and belittled me for so long. The name-calling, the pushes, and the disrespect...

But he wrote the letter. Why? I’ve seen his handwriting, and this looks so much different. It’s almost clean. It’s still his, but it’s like he was careful when he wrote this. Scanning it once again, he caught something; a smudge. Looks like something wet touched—

Wet! He… cried? The lycan leaned forward with a new purpose. He couldn’t believe he missed the blotches. Four of them. He was actually crying when he wrote this!

Kaplan lunged for his phone, snatching it off the coffee table. His fingers never moved so elegantly fast. Come back. We can talk. Hitting the send button sent his heart into his stomach. Am I seriously about to talk to Wagner? Is he really going to apolo—

The door knocked suddenly, breaking the beta’s concentration. That was quick! He opened the door and his eyes widened. Wagner was standing in the middle of the hallway, slouched with his hands tucked away.

The delta barely looked up, but bared his neck properly. “Beta Alvey…”

“Alex. You… mean this?” Lifting up the letter, Kaplan briefly glanced at the paper. He watched as Wagner’s cheek indented into his mouth. He’s chewing on his cheek! He’s… nervous. “Come in.”

Hesitation was apparent with the enforcer. When Kaplan sidestepped, gesturing him in, Wagner complied, “I figured you’d take a day or two to let the letter marinate.”

“No,” Kaplan closed the door behind them and ventured to the kitchen. He raised his voice slightly, “Normally I would, but I’ve been busy lately with Cyrus’ inauguration and getting everything finalized.”

He heard the futon coils screech, “I can come back later, if you’d like.”

“Alex, it’s fine. I think it’s best to get everything out in the open, okay?” Coming back with two cans of soda, he tossed one to Wagner.

It was caught with expert precision and Wagner popped the tab, “You almost sound like Alpha Vonder.”

The comparison caused Kaplan to smirk, “That’s funny. I’m not surprised if he’s rubbing off on me.”

“I know I came to apologize, but I noticed you’re pretty happy with him. Hopefully one day I’ll find that.” Wagner stared at his open drink. He had not taken a sip from it yet, “I’m sorry, Kap. For everything I’ve done.”

Hearing the soft and broken tone was different than seeing the tear-laden letter. The beta sat next to his subordinate, “I can’t say I forgive you right now, Alex. That will only come with time. What I can say is I appreciate you taking the first step.” He placed a hand on the larger man’s knee, “It means a lot to me.”

“It means a lot that you were willing to hear me out. I gotta get going, but if there’s anything I can do to help out, let me know, okay?” Wagner rose with a huff, “I need to get some sleep. Alpha Vonder’s ceremony will be here before we know it.”

“I know. It can’t get here fast enough! The minute it’s done, I’m asking for a vacation.”

The delta chuckled, “Need a hand with anything? Do you have security covered?”

Kaplan nodded, “As his final act as Head Enforcer, Dirk took charge of it. Since almost all of the current enforcers will be in the cabinet ceremony, he called in a favor and got a squad of agents from the Secret Service. No one will know they’re there.”

“Holy shit, Secret Service? I didn’t know Dirk had those connections!” Wagner scratched his head, “Now that you mentioned the ceremony, I figure I wouldn’t be of much help then, since I’m supposed to be inducted into Vonder’s cabinet. Are you sure you don’t need help with anything?”

“I’m sure, but I appreciate the offer.” Just as Wagner reached the door, an urge struck Kaplan’s mind, “Hey, Alex?”

“Hmm?”

"Thanks."

Wagner smirked, "I'm the one who should be thanking you. Have a good night, Beta Alvey." He bared his neck and closed the door behind him.

Kaplan stared at the knob. Beta Alvey. The use of the title felt right, but at the same time, he disliked it. It's so hypocritical of me! Alex belittled me, and I pulled rank on him. Now that he's addressing me as such, I hate it!

He sighed and sat on the futon. Well, I am the Head Beta after all. I didn’t take the position to be in charge; I took it because I was asked. Tierney wanted me to have it because he said I was needed. I just wanted to help the pack.

I wanted to be of use.

His thoughts immediately went to Cyrus. Seeing his lover’s light brown eyes put a smile on his face. Realization rushed through his body, causing a tear to form. I am of use!

***

Crickets chirped outside his apartment, and for the first time in a while, Shaw listened to them. The sound was repetitive and eerily calming. Time for a cigarette. He rose, letting the recliner creak in its old age.

The air was crisp. About time! Fall’s been coming later and later each year. Lighting up, he sucked on the filter and savored the first drag. A breeze danced around his bare ankles, making him humorously think about wearing tube socks. Nah, I’m not ready to look like a dad yet. Maybe in a few years though.

He leaned on the black metal guardrail. The night’s sky dwarfed the street lamps illuminating the parking lot. The detective couldn’t help but stare at the shadow under his car.

When? Am I even getting anywhere with this? Did he really move on? He already broke his promise to stay away from Owensville, at least until Vincent was ready to call him.

What am I supposed to do in the meantime? Sit here and twiddle my thumbs? Do I need to give him something?

Mason and them are out of town, but I’m sure he can feed me some kind of progress. Inhaling deeply, Shaw blew smoke from his nostrils, cherishing the burn. He pulled his phone and typed out a message, asking Mason for an update to give Stefan.

A few moments passed before receiving a response, Vinnie’s worked out how to manipulate his energy.

He stared at the screen, reading the message several times. What the fuck does that mean? Manipulate his energy? Doesn’t he already do that when he uses his magic?

Grumbling from his lack of knowledge, he finished his cigarette and dropped the butt into the bucket near his door. Once inside, Shaw prepared the signal for when he had information to turn over. Turn on the porch light, left blinds open and right ones closed, and turn the TV on the history channel. Lastly, he opened a small notepad and jotted down the minute details. Leaving the pad on an end table, he yawned and headed to the bedroom.

In the morning, as expected, the notepad was missing. Replacing it was a Padron cigar.

***

“Hurry up, big guy! We’re going to be late for the bus!”

“Would you simmer down? The buses just got here, and they don’t leave for another hour.” Mason smirked at his mate. He watched as Vincent tightened his tie, giving Mason a daydream of ripping it off. Nah, better not. Then we’d really be late.

Admiring him, he thought Vincent looked dashing! Earlier in the morning, they visited a barber. The scraggly beard was no more. Now, it was neatly trimmed and flushed against his jawline, ending in a thick patch on the chin. Vincent opted to keep his hair longer, but had the sides faded, allowing him to pull the top into a man-bun. If it were any other guy, Mason would have called it a hipster move. But it looks great on him!

Mason merely asked for a line-up, as he was comfortable with his styling choices; short and spiky hair with a thin chinstrap. Afterward, he forced Vincent back to the hotel room. The barber’s scent lingered on Vincent, and that needed to change. He made slow, methodical love to his mate, making sure nothing of the barber remained.

“Earth to Mace!”

Brought back to the present, Mason did a double take. Vincent was fully dressed in the recently-tailored navy suit, detailed with a white kerchief in the breast pocket. With the white shirt, matching blue bow tie, and shiny brown shoes, the mage looked stunning. Holy fuck! I might have to make him wear more suits!

A strand of fabric wrapped around his neck. Caught ogling, Mason saw Vincent working on his own tie. “You look stunning, pup.”

The man smiled with rosing cheeks, “Thanks. You should wear dress pants more often. They show off your ass.”

He growled, pleased with the statement, “Yours looks better.” Mason leaned to the side in order to get a better view, “You sure you’re not wearing a jockstrap?”

“I don’t know. Am I?” Vincent’s eyes flashed frost-blue. With the neckwear completed, he smacked Mason’s butt, “C’mon! Let’s wait in the lobby for everyone. Don’t forget your coat.”

Mason snickered, “Yes, dear.”

Taking the elevator, he checked the group message and confirmed the others were finishing up. They waited in the lobby, casually greeting a few passing alphas from different lands. He heard Vincent gasp and turned to see Dave and Stacy. His beta donned a typical gray suit with a black tie, but like Vincent, Mason was awestruck.

Wavy blonde hair, unleashed from the signature ponytail, rested over one shoulder. It led down to her side-ruched, merlot, long-sleeved dress. One leg was covered to mid-calf, while the other side ended at her thigh. With a series of shiny necklaces, Stacy looked stunning. “Thanks, guys! I hoped this wasn’t too casual.”

Before either alpha could get a word off, Dave nuzzled her, “You look perfect, little girl.” They shared a brief kiss as the beta growled subtly, “Absolutely perfect.”

Vincent held onto Mason’s waist and cooed, “Aww! You two are so adorable together!”

“Thanks, Vin. Nice haircut, by the way. Didn’t peg you to sport a bun though.” Dave scanned behind him, “Have you guys seen Remis or Caleb yet?”

“No, but they should be coming down—” The sentence was cut off as Vincent’s head bobbed to the side. Mason followed the line of sight towards the elevator.

Caleb stepped out with a nearly identical gray suit, compared to Dave’s, but chose a yellow tie instead. What caught everyone’s attention was the cheesy grin on his face. Is he trying to hold back a lau—

Next off the elevator was Remis, sporting a black waistcoat, jacket, and tie. He’s… wearing a kilt? The alpha strode towards them with a checkered tartan kilt, showing colors of hunter green, navy, and black. Mason bit his lip, unfamiliar with the Irishman’s heritage and customs. “Remis? I… uh…”

“Remis!” In an act of spotless timing, Vincent’s exclamation took control of the conversation, “You look awesome! That sporran is awesome!”

Patting the tasselled pouch, Remis grinned, “Damn right, it is! It’s my grandfather’s, passed down from father to son ever since. Glad someone knows what the fuck it is. Furball here won’t stop laughin’!”

Pocketing his hands, Caleb chortled, “I’m sorry! You know I don’t mean to be disrespectful.”

“Aye, I know. I don’t break it out for just anyone, ya know. Last time I wore this was for my second cousin’s wedding.”

“Don't they have some that don't look like a pur—”

“Don’t be callin’ it that! It’s a sporran. Kilts don’t have pockets, arsehole. At least it’s acceptable in the fashion industry, compared to Americans’ obsession with fanny packs!”

Caleb’s mouth opened, then shut, “Point taken. And now there’s guys wearing athletic ones across their chest! What’s up with that?”

“I swear, fellas who do that have never touched a toolbox a day in their lives!”

Mason heartily cheered, “Hear hear! Now that we’re all present, let’s get on the bus before it gets crammed.” Everyone agreed with him and left the lobby.

A greyhound was parked by the curb with a suited man outside the door. As Mason approached, the man looked up from his clipboard and bared his neck, “Good evening, alphas. May I ask for your names before you board?”

“Mason Wilson, and my mate, Vincent Bolton.”

After a moment of flipping pages, the man smiled, “Thank you, sirs.” One after another the rest of the group once they were confirmed for the trip.

Seeing they were the first to arrive, they chose to sit together near the back. Mason felt a twinge of nostalgia as he sat. High school days all over again. With Vincent in the window seat, his smile grew. Yeah, just like high school. He whispered, “You know, I got my first handy on the school bus like this.”

Vincent laughed and patted Mason’s chest, “Of course you did, Mister Football Captain. Was it with someone like me?”

“Some freshman soccer kid that had been eyeballing me since seventh grade,” he leaned in, cornering his mate, “but nah, he wasn’t important like you, hot stuff.”

They kissed and shared a low growl. When they parted, Vincent flashed his eyes, “If we weren’t on a bus and in suits, I’d ask for round two.”

“First thing when we get back to the room, I promise.”

As they sat, more came on the bus. A few recognized Remis and sat closer. They were baffled to find that he had moved to America to take a new land, but provided well wishes nevertheless. After being introduced, Mason took a liking to Alpha Meyer, the leader of Munich.

The bus was full in the matter of thirty minutes, and the man with the clipboard announced they were heading to the stadium so the second bus could start taking passengers. As the bus moved, Vincent glared at Stacy, catching Mason’s attention, “What’s up, pup?”

“Switch seats with me. Something’s wrong.”

He stepped out into the aisle and turned his attention to Stacy. Oh, fuck. I didn’t think of that. Mason saw Dave holding onto his girlfriend tightly. She’s being overwhelmed by the testosterone in the bus. Seating himself, he did his best to stay away. Not that it would do any good.

***

Vincent knelt next to the beta, “Too much alpha-ness, right?” Dave nodded and gritted his teeth. “I can take her into the shadows and meet you at the stadium.”

Stacy whimpered, “I’m… I’m fine.”

She’s trying to act tough, but I know better. Without hesitation, he placed his hand on her shoulder and took her into the shadows, “Sorry, Stace. I need to get you away from all these macho men. Close your eyes for me, okay?”

The moment she did, he picked her up and flew to the north-east. Vincent wasn’t exactly sure where the stadium was, so he found a dark corner and reappeared from the darkness. Checking his phone’s GPS, he got a fair idea of where to go next, “Alright, one more trip.”

His passenger was breathing heavily, but not from exhaustion. We should have seen this coming. “You okay?”

She nodded and held her hips, “What was all that?”

“That bus was full of higher ranked shifters, and they can be… pungent. You know how when some big-wig from the corporate office comes to see your store? Magnify that.”

“Can’t they turn that off or something?”

Vincent giggled, “I wish, but it’s more manageable with a few, like me and Mace. I was sweating a little myself. Are you ready for round two of traveling? You can keep your eyes open, but try not to scream in my ear. I’ll go a little slower than usual if you want to feel like a human lightning bolt.”

She smiled and took Vincent’s hand. Unfortunately, Stacy couldn’t hold her end of the bargain and screeched joyfully for the ten seconds it took him to get to the destination. Upon reaching the stadium, Vincent saw Dirk near an entrance with a few other burly men. They might be Ty’s other enforcers. Popping out of the shadows across the street from Gate Four, he thought it would be best to approach slowly instead of surprising his friend. “Hey, Dirk!”

The bear, along with the three other shifters looked at him. Dirk’s face showed curiosity, “Vincent? Get over here. I thought you were coming on the bus?”

He took Stacy’s hand once more and zipped in a blink of an eye, startling the unknown deltas, “Sorry about that. There were too many alphas on the bus for us to handle. Is this where the buses will park?”

“I gotcha. We should have arranged for a cab for Miss Boswick. That’s our bad.” Dirk glanced at the other men and snorted, “Chill out, guys. This is Alpha Vincent Bolton, the shadow mage I’ve been talking about. Vin, these are Enforcers Lee-Sung, Blivens and Rochter.”

One of the men, Blivens, bared his neck, “Pleased to meet you, Alpha Bolton. Pardon me asking, but your magic… you can teleport?”

“Yes and no. Dirk, can I borrow him for ten seconds?”

Dirk grinned widely, “Sure.”

***

Standing on the covered field, Kaplan kept his thumbs moving. Security’s in place, the guests are arriving, and Tierney is preparing for the speech. Different messages were coming in from around the stadium. All of the alpha’s betas were working diligently for a smooth transition of power. Holman is managing the guests’ flow, Vogel is with the mayor, and Moore is with Tierney.

He was nervous, but kept his game face on as he surveyed the stage. Behind the podium were enough chairs for the current council to be seated. Opting for standing tables instead of rows of chairs, Kaplan thought it would be appropriate for the new alpha. Cy isn’t one for being higher on the food chain. If he stands, then he would want everyone on an equal playing field. Every decorative detail was laid with a careful touch. This is it. It’s all perfect!

Another vibration caught his attention. Checking the message, he smiled and responded back, Yes, let them in. It’s close enough.

Breathing shakily, he straightened his suit. Showtime!

***

Met up with Mason and the rest of the group, Vincent and Stacy picked out a couple of nearby tables to stand at. He was drawn in by the decorations. Adorned with white cloth, the tables had small plates with green-tinted goblets. Did Kaplan pick these out because of Cyrus’ eyes? That’s really cute! What remained a mystery were the glass vases. They’re empty. Not a single flower? I wouldn’t have gone with that.

Looking across the field, he saw the beta speaking with several others near the elevated platform. They might be other council members. Dirk did say he was off limits. Just as Vincent was about to wish for it, Kaplan turned and headed towards their table. “Kaplan!”

“Hey, guys! It means a lot that you all came.” Looking between Stacy and Remis, he bared his neck towards the Irishman, “Alpha McCabe? I’m Head Beta Kap—”

“Kaplan Alvey! Old Scott spoke about you. He reckons you’re the best beta in history.” Remis grinned and approached the shorter wolf, “I think you’re forgetting about something involving ursus culture though.”

Vincent raised an eyebrow as Kaplan answered, “What do you mean?”

“I see an ursus play-mark on your neck. If you’re being mated by a bear, you submit like a bear. You dip your head, protecting your mate’s property.”

So that’s why bears bow their heads! Is that why wolves show their necks? To offer one of the weakest spots on the body?

The beta blinked several times, as if he was stunned by the information. “I… I see. Cyrus didn’t tell me that.”

Remis was taken aback, “Wait! That mark belongs to Cyrus?” He sniffed around Kaplan, only to laugh, “I’ll be fucked! That panda is dating? I thought I’d never see the day. Good on you, Beta Alvey… or do you prefer me call ya something else?”

“Kaplan please, and thanks for letting me know about the importance of his mark, Alpha.”

“Remis, for fuck’s sake. If you’re chummy with this lot, you can be with me. Where is ol’ Thunder Thighs? Getting ready for his big show?”

Kaplan nodded and checked his phone, “Yes. He’s arriving in half an hour, right after the meeting starts.”

The alpha huffed, “I bet he’s got a grand entrance planned. He always does. Don’t let me take up all your time! You got one more introduction in ya.”

“Right!” Diverting his attention to Stacy, he met with Stacy and welcomed her to New York. “I heard about everything in Mesker Park, but I’m assuming you’ve had enough people ask you about it. I’m sure Dave has taken good care of everything.”

Stacy blushed and leaned into her boyfriend, “He’s helped out a little, I guess.” She patted Dave’s chest playfully, “So you’re a beta too?”

Her hand was taken by Dave, “Yep! Kap’s taught me several things about our roles when we first met. Don’t let him fool you, he can smoke me involving governmental laws and pack finances.”

Kaplan smiled as he thumbed his phone, “Well, finances aren’t my specialty. The courtroom is my battlefield. Sorry to cut this short guys, I need to meet with Tierney.”

They waved as their friend walked away and Vincent closed the distance between him and Mason, “Is there anything we can do to help him?” He whispered.

“Sorry, pup. It’s best if we let NYSP handle everything. Do you want to meet some of the other guests?”

He agreed and held Mason’s hand as they perused the growing crowd with Caleb joining them. They stopped at a few tables and introduced themselves. Mason had found Alpha Meyer again and started a long conversation. Being nearly quiet in it, Vincent looked around until he found a familiar face, “Be right back, big guy.”

Setting off, he waved away Caleb, asking him to keep his distance. Consulting his wolf, Vincent decided to approach, “Alpha Galby?”

The hulking man turned and appeared intimidated, “I… Uh… Sorry, I didn’t get your name.”

“Vincent Bolton, from Owensville County Pack, Kentucky.”

Keller’s eyes widened, “The shadow mage mated alpha? But… you’re also an alpha of your own right? That’s not on Alpha Wilson’s EC profile.”

Vincent raised a hand, “Remis told me a little about you, but I wanted to start things off on the right foot.”

The Canadian’s posture slackened, “Then allow me to start. You were right back at the restaurant. I didn’t take into consideration the staff’s duress. Would you accept my apology?”

“Consider it done, but I’ll have to calm Mace down before bringing you over. He’s the temperamental one between the two of us.”

Keller chuckled, “You sound like my mate, Rose. Would you mind if I bring her in?” Vincent nodded and the man tapped on a shoulder behind him, “Dear, I’d like you to meet Alpha Bolton from Kentucky. He’s the one I showed my ass to earlier.”

The woman turned, hands landing on her hips. A snarl was directed towards Keller, “Honestly! Him?” She gave Vincent a loving glance, “Pardon my mate’s behavior, Alpha Bolton, but Kelly doesn’t know how to pick his fights properly.” Returning to a threatening posture, she poked Keller in the chest, “You’re what, a foot and half taller than him? Get real!”

Vincent rubbed the back of his head. She’s… an alpha too?

No. Not alpha. She delta!

What? He inhaled, taking in faint traces of Rose’s scent. It felt reminiscent of black pepper, signaling a stronger entity. Wow! That’s a strange combination. “Uh, Mated Alpha Rose? Feel free to call me Vincent, if you’d like.”

“Not one for titles? I can see how you get along with Cyrus then.” Rose shifted her weight to one hip, “Kentucky, huh? A little humid, but your area makes amazing whiskeys.”

“I’ve only lived in Kentucky for a few months, so I don’t know much about bourbon and stuff. My father-by-bond is the connoisseur.”

Keller gleamed, “I remember Leidolf at some of the summits! Your mate is his son? I see the resemblance now. Would you mind if I went to apologize?” Vincent agreed and walked with Keller in tow. “Alpha Wilson!”

His exclamation garnered Mason’s attention. Vincent quickly captured Mason’s hand in an effort to keep his mate soothed, “Alpha Galby and I talked about yesterday. He asked if he could speak with you.”

Mason pulled Vincent closer and held the slender waist, “There you go again, trying to make friends with everyone,” he eyed Keller with a flatlined brow, “and it looks like he was successful again.”

Keller nodded, “I apologized for my behavior yesterday to Alpha Bolton, but I need to say the same to you. McCabe reminded me why I was here, then your mate killed me with kindness.”

“Yeah, he does that,” Mason chuckled, “but he hasn’t been wrong yet. I’m glad you two came to an agreement.”

“Yes, but I came to apologize to you as well. My behavior was unbecoming.”

“I understand, and I accept it. Stay for a drink? There’s a waitress passing out spumante.”

Keller shook his head, “I think I’ll spend time with my Rose. She doesn’t know many people here outside the New York council. We might meet again at the summit.”

Vincent and Mason watched as Keller returned to Rose. They continued mingling for a few more minutes, but the crowd hushed as several people took seats on the platform. Deciding to return to their original table, the couple prodded Remis for what was happening, “Meetin’s about to start. Time to simmer down, fellas.”

He watched diligently as Vincent saw familiar faces. Kaplan and Dirk are up there.

But so is Wagner. He did his best to keep his gaze off the lowly enforcer. Fortunately, another face came into view. Tierney strode towards the stage stoically. His face adopted a smile, but Vincent could tell the alpha was putting up a front. His cheekbones are too high. I think he’s gritting his teeth.

With the council seated behind him, Tierney took the podium’s microphone and adjusted it to his height, “Good evening, and welcome to the inauguration of the newest Pack Alpha to the New York State Pack. It is my honor and pleasure to stand before you all, for this is the last night of my reign.” Before he could get another word out, the small audience of nearly a hundred people clapped and cheered.

“Your enthusiasm is much appreciated, but tonight is not about me. It is about the future of this pack. Most of those in attendance have come to celebrate their friend and the role he has accepted. Before we do that, I want to recognize the men and women sitting behind me. Today is the last day these council members serve me, and they deserve every ounce of thanks and praise. Most will be serving under the new leadership, but your service will be commended.

“It was a few months ago when I met our beloved panda. The moment I laid eyes on him, I knew he would be my successor. Underneath the deceptive giggles is a brilliant mind that plays four steps ahead of everyone else. His verbal skills far exceed any others I’ve come across. But most importantly, his moral standards are second to none.

“At this time, it is my distinct pleasure to introduce the man we’re all here to see. Personally, I’ve been anticipating this very moment for over a week now.” Tierney snickered before returning to the microphone, “If anyone knows anything about our friend, he probably has an extravagant entrance planned for this evening. So… without further stalling, it’s time to bring out Alpha Cyrus Vonder!”

As Tierney started clapping, everyone in attendance joined in. Vincent was excited, but something caught his eye. Kaplan was texting. What’s he doing? Shortly after, the beta put his phone away and tapped Tierney on the shoulder. The alpha gestured to the council and they all moved from the stage area. Once the last member left the platform, five of them expertly tore it apart.

Just as the stage was dismantled, a repetitive noise slowly silenced any murmurs in the stadium. What is that? Vincent squinted his eyes. He saw a blinking red light. Is that… a helicopter? I think it’s heading this way.

Everyone stood in silence as the incoming helicopter approached. The rotating blades were far enough away to avoid any heavy drafts of wind, but the noise irritated Vincent. Nevertheless, he kept his eyes on the aircraft.

A pulse rippled through Vincent’s body. It wasn’t painful, but it shook him. He immediately looked to Remis, who must have felt the same sensation. “Remis? Did you—”

“Just watch. Here he comes.” His voice was low, almost inaudible.

Another pulse, this time more powerful. Looking at Mason, Vincent noticed his mate wasn’t disturbed. Does it only affect mages?

The third one hit him harder than the others. He focused on the helicopter again and saw two tiny lights. Is that…

Is! Is bear!

No way.

The lights fell from the chopper.

No way! He could only watch the body plummet. Trickles of electricity surrounded the man, then engulfed him in a blinding light. In a blink of an eye, it became a lightning bolt and shot down to the ground. Scorching the field, electricity traversed around the landing site.

The man rose slowly. Cyrus’ eyes glowed royal blue. His white suit remained spotless and wrinkleless. Vincent squinted and searched the clothing. There’s electricity oozing from him! I see the tiny bolts flickering.

The bear raised his hands, pressing every fingertip against each other. As he separated them, a small white orb glowed. Holding it up with an index finger, Cyrus’ eyes flashed brighter. The orbs then divided into several smaller ones. The panda flung his arms outward to the crowd, scattering the balls.

Along with everyone watching, Vincent gasped as an orb hovered over his table. He’s controlling the magic to this extent? Slowly, it lowered into the empty vase. Vincent scanned the crowd. The lights illuminated everyone’s faces, showcasing their awe.

A thunder clap brought his attention back towards the performer. More spheres spawned around Cyrus. His hands raised, revealing the blue aura around them. Waving his arms around him, Cyrus spun and brought his arms down with force, sending his magic orbs into the ground across the stadium.

Vincent felt the anticipation rising. He’s planning something.

Yes, big magic! I feel it.

Yeah, I feel it too, bud. It’s like there’s a pulsing in my heart. He didn’t dare take the chance to talk to Mason, in case Cyrus would begin the next part of his dance.

Cyrus knelt and closed his eyes. A few people murmured as the panda sat.

Mason leaned in and whispered, “What’s he doing?”

With no answer, Vincent shook his head. Remis tapped the table, “Get ready. He’s emptying his stores.”

What? Before he could focus, the orb at the table glowed. It’s… changing shape! The top of it protruded, revealing a cylindrical shape with a wide base. As it lengthened, Vincent realized what it was becoming. A tree! He turned it into a tiny tree. Examining the bear, Vincent understood. He emptied his magic stores. This is the finale!

Cyrus rose in the blink of an eye. Semicircle scorch marks were around his feet as he turned away from the crowd. Grunting, he clenched his fists and raised them. One orb erupted on each side. Vincent could tell it was electricity, but it was not crackling. There’s… so much control! Every strand and branch is defying the laws of how lightning is supposed to act. He watched as Cyrus brought his hands down as two blue trees towered over him.

The bear stepped forward and hummed. The noise grew in volume, and Vincent could feel the pulsing in his heart. More magic? Where the hell is it coming from? Movement captured his attention. The trees are shrinking down. He’s pulling the magic from them back into his body. Reconfiguration! Cyrus is taking the existing magic and turning it into something else. Only the mages here will know how difficult that is.

With the large trees gone, Cyrus’ breathing was ragged. Holding his palm open, a few sparks emitted before forming another single orb. Noticing it was larger than the first one, Vincent waited in anticipation.

Instead of spiking it, as Vincent expected, Cyrus knelt once more and gently placed it into the ground. He stared at it for several seconds before backing away towards the audience. In the same slow manner, the bear started to raise his arms. In a paced manner, the orb mutated. Like the ones in the vases, it sprouted a trunk. The tree grew at the same speed of which Cyrus’ arms were lifting.

When the alpha’s limbs were at their peak, the tree was giant, nearly half the stadium’s height. What seemed odd was the lack of leaves. There’s just branches, like if it were winter. The manifested magic was intricately designed. Glowing blue, dark textures covered the tree, imitating natural bark.

Cyrus walked to the trunk and placed a hand in the middle. Not a sound could be heard in Vincent’s ears as he tried to make sense of the performance.

The bear swiveled, brought in his arms, then flung them out. A bright light emitted from the branches, causing the crowd to gasp as it lit up their faces. Leaves! Vincent watched as the light was the formation of the missing leaves. His heart pounded as thick bushels appeared before his very eyes. The tree that seemed to be dead was given life.

Cyrus pointed his hands to the audience and wiggled his fingers. The tiny leaves from the vases withered and flew upward, garnering whispers and murmurs of amazement. Once more, the bear raised his arms, repeating the same motion. The large tree behind him mirrored the smaller ones. Leaves blew toward the audience, as if a tender breeze flew through the open air. Every one of them left their home and spread across the stadium.

Vincent stood, stunned and amazed. He watched a blue leaf land in front of him, but as it touched the tablecloth, it fizzled away, leaving no trace of its existence. When he looked up, the abundance of electric petals nearly distracted him from noticing the trees’ disappearance. Even the ones in the vases are gone!

As the last leaf wilted, Cyrus stood alone with open arms. He lifted one, then brought it down as he bowed.

With a tear in his eye, Vincent made damned sure he was the first to clap. The screams and applause around him immediately followed. As he heard several howls, his wolf knocked and pleaded to come out to show his appreciation. Switching minds, Vincent’s vocal chords echoed into the night.

The noise died down as Cyrus stood tall. Vincent wiped his eyes off the jacket sleeve. That was beautiful.

***

Kaplan couldn’t breathe. He had never seen such a spectacle. The meaning of the empty tree was clear as day. Cy… you are that tree.

The crowd stood silent as Cyrus walked towards them. “Good evening, New York! Thank you for allowing me to partake in a Mage’s Dance. I feel blessed by your kind gestures. Your appreciation will always have a place in my heart.”

Applause filled the small section of the stadium. When Cyrus lifted a hand gingerly, they hushed. “At this time, I ask for the council members who have been selected to be at my side to come forth. You are about to take your oath of office under my leadership.”

Kaplan’s first step trembled, but his gait regained its posture. He led the group of shifters who would serve Cyrus and formed a line behind the bear. Seeing his boyfriend up close, he noticed how haggard Cyrus’ breathing was. He’s hiding it well. That performance wore him out!

“Most of these men and women proudly served under Alpha Scott’s reign, and are dedicated to this pack’s growth. At this time, I will state their oath.” Kaplan watched as Cyrus turned to the line, “When I approach you, I will state your name before the people. You will swear your loyalty to the pack, and I shall adorn you with the proper markings.”

Standing at the edge of the line, Kaplan saw Cyrus heading to the opposite end. Makes sense. I’m Head Beta, so I’ll be the last he inducts. There’s thirty-seven of us, so this might take a while. He kept a stoic stance as he waited patiently. Cyrus’ words were quiet, but not hushed enough so Kaplan couldn’t hear them. There’s Lee-Sung… and Rochter. Deltas first, then betas, then higher council.

A break of silence caught Kaplan’s curiosity. He took a step back and saw Cyrus standing in front of Wagner. Where’s the oath?

“You are unfit to lead under my reign, Delta Wagner. Please be seated.”

Kaplan sucked in air. What? Disbelief racked his mind. Inching forward to be in line, the beta was floored. He barely heard the whispers from the audience as Wagner slowly walked away from the formation. Cy? What’s going on? Why did you do that?

Realization hit him. Right! I get it—

Hearing Holman’s squeaky voice brought Kaplan out of his thoughts. He’s on the betas. Just another minute. From his peripherals, he saw the large white suit approaching. Vogel, then Moore, then me. Standing next to the burly wolf, Kaplan sighed. He’s not Dirk, but Moore is the next Head Enforcer. He’ll be fine, but he can be a little egotistical. I’ll have to make sure he’s kept on a short leash.

“Kaplan Alvey.”

Caught distracted, Kaplan blinked and stared at the emerald eyes. When did he get in front of me? No words exchanged between the men. Cy? You’re supposed to swear me in.

Cyrus lifted his hands; one held a small pool of blood, while the other’s thumb was used as a writing tool. The bear’s eyes were darting slightly, showing a mental struggle. He whispered, “I’m sorry, but I can’t deny it any longer.”

Deny? Deny wha—

The warm thumb pressing against his cheek surprised him. It stroked downward, and then repeated the same motion on the other cheek. That’s not the mark of beta.

The finger moved to Kaplan’s forehead, forming a circle. His heart pounded. No… That’s the mark of—

Wetting the thumb, a new vertical line was drawn, splitting the circle in half. Cyrus pressed the crimson ink on one semicircle. “I choose you… my mate.”

I hope you enjoyed this longer chapter. With this being Cyrus' dance, I wanted to leave things on a high-note.
That being said, I want to thank someone important. @tigg615has been a fantastic editor for me, and I can't think of a better way to thank him. Due to life and its inevitable nonsense, he's chosen to take a step back. I will always be appreciative of the lessons you've taught me, and I can't wait to work with you again!
Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 54
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Moderator
21 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

It took a long time to figure out how the lightning affinity could be manipulated in an artistic performance. Lightning moves at a fast and unpredictable pace. I love the "duh" moment I had several days ago, "Just slow it down

Lightning can do some strange things, St. Elmo's Fire for one. Cyrus' dance made me think of ball lightning, a phenomena so rare no one is certain of the cause.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I am awestruck!  I don't have the words for this one....especially the ending.  That was beyond beautiful.... It was perfection!  The imagery in this chapter was spectacular...🌩️  I thought Vincent's dance was something but I think this surpassed his!  And to have Cyrus "choose" Kaplan at the end and publicly announce it....WOW!  I do believe it shocked both of them!  Made my day!!!  🐼:heart:🐺

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Talk about an entrance...

Loved how Vincent realized the issue with Stacey and got her to the stadium another way.

Hated what Cy did to Wagner, just as he was trying to better himself and apologize to those he had wronged.

Hated the reference to Stefan; so much other stuff going on, we could almost forget about him...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Cyrus' performance from his entrance through his mage dance was spectacular and exhibited how nuanced his control over his power can be.

The public shaming of Alex took me by surprise at first, but makes sense to sweeten his profile as a malcontent and make him a better double agent.

Cyrus is always full of surprises. I didn't see the public claiming of his mate coming and neither did Kaplan. Great chapter.

The public shaming of Alex could have ulterior motives.  This could give him an ‘in’ with the forces working against Cyrus and even against Vince!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Patch1 said:

I am awestruck!  I don't have the words for this one....especially the ending.  That was beyond beautiful.... It was perfection!  The imagery in this chapter was spectacular...🌩️  I thought Vincent's dance was something but I think this surpassed his!  And to have Cyrus "choose" Kaplan at the end and publicly announce it....WOW!  I do believe it shocked both of them!  Made my day!!!  🐼:heart:🐺

I think Cyrus' might be better than Vin's as well. Cyrus has probably performed a couple in his lifetime, compared to Vincent's one. Glad to have made your day, Patch!

1 hour ago, centexhairysub said:

Talk about an entrance...

Loved how Vincent realized the issue with Stacey and got her to the stadium another way.

Hated what Cy did to Wagner, just as he was trying to better himself and apologize to those he had wronged.

Hated the reference to Stefan; so much other stuff going on, we could almost forget about him...

Even in the midst of celebration and cheerful times, one must remember the lingering evils. 

53 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

The public shaming of Alex could have ulterior motives.  This could give him an ‘in’ with the forces working against Cyrus and even against Vince!

Someone's thinking like a panda... :)

12 minutes ago, JR Tittle said:

One word: wow!  I’ll say that backwards… wow! Masterfully written!

Thanks, JR! I'll happily take both your wow's. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

The public shaming of Alex could have ulterior motives.  This could give him an ‘in’ with the forces working against Cyrus and even against Vince!

Umm...  I believe that is what I said.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Philippe said:

Delta apologizes,

To Vinsy’s surprise.

Fancy pantsies,

Necks adorned with ties.

 

Buses of Alphas,

Testosterone concentrate.

A jump to the shadows,

Stacy did rate.

 

The Head Beta bid greetings,

With markings to bare.

McAlpha defines with new meanings,

Giving protocols for mate of Beta’s Bear.

 

Arriving with the beat of helicopter blades,

Then landing in the flash of lightning bolts.

The Panda is not of shadow or shades,

His Dance as a Mage measured in Volts.

 

With life from energy,

Morphing into trees.

Orbs of energy,

Luminescent as leaves.

 

Mage Dance ending as leaves did fall,

New appreciation for reconfiguration does ring.

Shadow Mage Vinsy jumping to applaud,

A grand show of power the Electric Panda brings.


One final act to call name and loyalty vows,

His Council takes office in grand spectacle.

Dismissing an Enforcer in public gets wows,

Such castration spared not one testicle.

 

Some secrets demand service yet bring shame,

While secrets of heart come bursting at seams.

The Alpha Panda does Beta Wolf claim,

Blood markings of love, for life he gleams.


@astone2292 our scribe and scholar,

Another great chapter this reader do holler.

Thanks for the share of passion and talent,

 

Your outpouring of heartfelt thanks and love for our scribe and scholar rivals the Panda's dance.

Zeke

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
22 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Lightning can do some strange things, St. Elmo's Fire for one. Cyrus' dance made me think of ball lightning, a phenomena so rare no one is certain of the cause.

As a toddler, I saw a dancing ball of light come from our kitchen window to the stove and then rapid leave the way it came; dancing and whirling out the window. The passing storm was an outside event in my young mind as I ran to the family room declaring that Tinkerbell had just been dancing in our kitchen. Of course, they wondered just what kind of imagination I had to come up with such thoughts. When my mother had gone to start supper she called to my dad questioning what time I had seen Tinkerbell. Dad came to the kitchen also stating his approximation of that event. Mom then pointed him to the scorched 🥵 clock on the stove that was forever stopped at that magical moment my Tinkerbell had danced! 🤪 

Edited by Philippe
  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Philippe said:

Delta apologizes,

To Vinsy’s surprise.

Fancy pantsies,

Necks adorned with ties.

 

Buses of Alphas,

Testosterone concentrate.

A jump to the shadows,

Stacy did rate.

 

The Head Beta bid greetings,

With markings to bare.

McAlpha defines with new meanings,

Giving protocols for mate of Beta’s Bear.

 

Arriving with the beat of helicopter blades,

Then landing in the flash of lightning bolts.

The Panda is not of shadow or shades,

His Dance as a Mage measured in Volts.

 

With life from energy,

Morphing into trees.

Orbs of energy,

Luminescent as leaves.

 

Mage Dance ending as leaves did fall,

New appreciation for reconfiguration does ring.

Shadow Mage Vinsy jumping to applaud,

A grand show of power the Electric Panda brings.


One final act to call name and loyalty vows,

His Council takes office in grand spectacle.

Dismissing an Enforcer in public gets wows,

Such castration spared not one testicle.

 

Some secrets demand service yet bring shame,

While secrets of heart come bursting at seams.

The Alpha Panda does Beta Wolf claim,

Blood markings of love, for life he gleams.


@astone2292 our scribe and scholar,

Another great chapter this reader do holler.

Thanks for the share of passion and talent,

 

I think when I finish this series, I'll add a bonus chapter and put every poem you've written in it. 

5 hours ago, ZekeNix said:

Your outpouring of heartfelt thanks and love for our scribe and scholar rivals the Panda's dance.

Zeke

Anyone who takes the time to write a poem over one of my chapters, I'd say it's pretty heartfelt. I smile so hard everytime I see one!

1 hour ago, Philippe said:

As a toddler, I saw a dancing ball of light come from our kitchen window to the stove and then rapid leave the way it came; dancing and whirling out the window. The passing storm was an outside event in my young mind as I ran to the family room declaring that Tinkerbell had just been dancing in our kitchen. Of course, they wondered just what kind of imagination I had to come up with such thoughts. When my mother had gone to start supper she called to my dad questioning what time I had seen Tinkerbell. Dad came to the kitchen also stating his approximation of that event. Mom then pointed him to the scorched 🥵 clock on the stove that was forever stopped at that magical moment my Tinkerbell had danced! 🤪 

That is crazy! Straight up bananas! Who knew Tink hated time...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
14 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

That is crazy! Straight up bananas! Who knew Tink hated time...

It all started with the watch in the crocodile.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I haven’t written a comment in a while, but I’ve been anxiously waiting chapter after chapter for the continuation of the magic I’ve fallen in love with. I’ve reread every chapter of the “In the Shadows” series more times than I should probably admit, but I’m not ashamed in the slightest haha but these last two chapters have cemented their spots as in my list of top favorite chapters Included Vincent’s Mage Dance, The first family dinner where Vince realized he’s part of a family, Bond Completion. Then now these chapters that have really opened up Cyrus’ trauma and Kaplan’s’ ability to show him that though the events were horrible and could have consumed and destroyed anyone else, Cyrus and his Bear took all that pain and suffering and put it into drive and determination to make sure it doesn’t ever happen to anyone else. I’ve cried my eyes out as we’ve gotten Cyrus’ story over the chapters he told It, and to see that culminate in his public declaration of Kaplan as his mate this chapter had the tears flowing and my heart soaring. Can’t wait to see what’s next. Keep up the amazing work you do. 💙

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Tonyw94 said:

I haven’t written a comment in a while, but I’ve been anxiously waiting chapter after chapter for the continuation of the magic I’ve fallen in love with. I’ve reread every chapter of the “In the Shadows” series more times than I should probably admit, but I’m not ashamed in the slightest haha but these last two chapters have cemented their spots as in my list of top favorite chapters Included Vincent’s Mage Dance, The first family dinner where Vince realized he’s part of a family, Bond Completion. Then now these chapters that have really opened up Cyrus’ trauma and Kaplan’s’ ability to show him that though the events were horrible and could have consumed and destroyed anyone else, Cyrus and his Bear took all that pain and suffering and put it into drive and determination to make sure it doesn’t ever happen to anyone else. I’ve cried my eyes out as we’ve gotten Cyrus’ story over the chapters he told It, and to see that culminate in his public declaration of Kaplan as his mate this chapter had the tears flowing and my heart soaring. Can’t wait to see what’s next. Keep up the amazing work you do. 💙

Grateful isn't a strong enough emotion to describe my feelings towards this comment. I'm moved that my stories can bring out such emotion to readers. 

I'm finishing up a Cernunnos chapter, then I'll get started on the next for RitS. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

Grateful isn't a strong enough emotion to describe my feelings towards this comment. I'm moved that my stories can bring out such emotion to readers. 

I'm finishing up a Cernunnos chapter, then I'll get started on the next for RitS. 

Believe me, these aren’t the first chapters to do that to me, nor is it the only Series you’ve written, I’m just as emotionally invested in Cernunos lol. I, like I’m sure many of the readers, have connected with your characters. You’ve hit beats with aspects of many of them that I’ve felt personal emotional reactions towards, which just draws me more and more into your writing and your worlds. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of it

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Our favourite panda does love drama. From the jump to the end the dance was very spectacular.  Even more so was the oath by the council members.  The plan hatched by Cyrus' panda is becoming clearer if the comments are correct.  Alex is feeling the shame of being publicly fired as part of punishment, so I do believe those comments are correct.  The most unexpected announcement was Cyrus publicly declaring his wolf as his Mate.  

Of course we did have some interesting diversions along the way.  Vincent and Stacy fleeing the testosterone bus, with Stacy having a blast as a result was fun.  Montreal's Alpha apologising for his bad behaviour the day before at dinner was also good.  I do like his wife Rose.  I be she keeps him on his toes.  Another fun chapter. 

Edited by raven1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..