Jump to content

Love in the Shadows 1. In The Shadows Shifters and Shadows

   (8 reviews)

Mason, an alpha lycan shapeshifter, discovers that a young mage, Vincent, is his destined mate. While Mason attempts to woo him, Vincent continues to develop his magical power, and hunt down his parents' killer. Together, these men will build trust for each other, create everlasting memories, and track down the dangerous mage, Stefan.

Story content warnings:  sexual acts between consenting adults, violence, mention of death, and crude/vulgar language.
April 4th, 2023 - This marks the date of this story's second edition. Thanks to the efforts of @Carlos Hazday, this story now reads clearer and is in much better shape than when we began edits. Original word count was 225,177. All pertinent information from the first edition remains.
Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (45 members)

  • Action Packed 41
  • Addictive/Pacing 39
  • Characters 44
  • Chills 7
  • Cliffhanger 26
  • Compelling 16
  • Feel-Good 12
  • Humor 9
  • Smoldering 22
  • Tearjerker 17
  • Unique 36
  • World Building 30

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Al Norris

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

@astone2292 first came to my attention because of my reading @kbois shifter stories. So after reading those stories, I sought out Aaron as an author. Yup! Found him and looked over his stories. Found (obviously) Love in the Shadows and that it was his first story. Yay! Another shifter story! Of course, I had to start reading. It was wonderful to watch as his craft grew. It was also wonderful to see how he designed his shifter universe.

For those of you that like a good love story as well as a good action yarn, you will be delighted. If you like a good fantasy that includes not only shifters, mages, and also a few gods that are constrained (by their own rules?) from directly interacting with the human/shifter world, then you have hit the jackpot.

Response from the author:

Thanks for reading, Al! 

Oh, dear. This dusty thing. I can't wait to finally be done with the edit to this thing. 

Regardless, I'm excited you found it to be an entertaining story! Now off you go, two more stories in the series to read. :)

-Aaron

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
Patch1

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Absolutely one of the best stories I've had the pleasure of reading!!!  The only reason it is not the best is because of the other stories you have written....I guess it would be considered a tie between the "Shadow" series and Cernunnos.  You have the uncanny ability to put me in a zone where I am so involved that time just stands still.... the "grey" zone for me.  Everything around me stops when I read your works.  This first story got me hooked!!! Big time!  I am on my 3rd reread!! I have always loved shifter stories but this one takes it to another level altogether!!!  Different views...perspectives....stunning characters with fantastical powers....superior character development...so involved that you "feel" like you are there with them...  You, my friend, have a talent that is unparalleled!  You are definitely a 🌟!  I've said it before in my comments, keep shining bright like a 💎!  Amazing author and an even more amazing friend!!!! :heart::worship:👑

Response from the author:

You'll never know how hard this review has made me smile, Patch. Thank you so much!

I love that my stories have the ability to stop time for you. I always look forward to your comments, no matter what story I write. Thank you for being such a loyal reader!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
Ticklishboy30

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This is a truly amazing story as is its sequel. The characters have nice depth and are believable. 

Response from the author:

Thanks, Ajbt! I'm happy you enjoyed the story! You're review is very much appreciated!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
Sherye Story Reader

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

I gave the story 5 stars cause it was very well written as well as entertaining. Loved how you kept us in suspense at the end of each chapter. You are a very talented writer and will go far if you do exactly what your imagination takes you. 

Response from the author:

Thank you for the review! I am so happy you enjoyed this book, and are looking forward to the next one!

  • Love 7
Link to review
Rkench

· Edited by Rkench

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

An addictive read that is simultaneously a beautiful love story and an action-packed tale of a young man growing into his new powers while finding family along the way. All of this comes for Vincent in the wake of tragedy that has scarred him and set him on a path of destiny and determination.

You’ll find scarring is a theme that subconsciously unites several of the characters. It’s also funny, and sexy. Most will enjoy how the inner wolf expresses itself.

Vincent’s mate, Mason, is also a complex character and worthy protagonist. Highly recommended. Looking forward to starting the second part. 

Response from the author:

Thank you for the review, Rkench!

I'm tickled pink you enjoyed this story, and am excited to see you continuing the trilogy. Read on! 💜

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to review
Dan South

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This novel checks all of the boxes. All 12 of the checkboxes offered here to recommend a story, specifically. Without question it is a love story. More so, it explores the many forms love takes.

The love of, and from, family seemingly shapes the love of the two lead characters. Family in all its forms. Biological, chosen, and herein the love of a diverse pack.

We’re taken on a journey of self-discovery as a young man comes into his own and finds his place in the world as he continues on a personal mission to extract revenge for a long-ago wrong.

Make room on your reading list for Aaron Stone’s grand adventure here and all of his works. Trust me, it will be time we’ll spent.

 

 

Response from the author:

Thanks so much for the review, Dan! I'm ways pleased to see a new reader. Have a blast reading the rest of the series!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
centexhairysub

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Really enjoyed this book, there will be a second one coming per the author.  It was well written and the pacing and flow of the story was first rate.  The character development was better than average and there was some unique takes on were creatures that I had not found in other stories.

My one issue with the book was that a couple of the story lines got mentioned and then just never resolved; but perhaps they will be in the second book.

Recommend for anyone that enjoys were creature stories or those with mages and magic.  

Response from the author:

Thank you for the review! I did leave several plot openings and several other details for the second, and potentially third book to cover. Glad you enjoyed the book!

  • Love 4
Link to review
raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

As the first novel written by astone2292, Love in the Shadows is a powerful demonstration of raw talent. You will be impressed with the unique world astone2292 has built.  His characters are so engaging that your emotions will always be in high gear trying to get to know them better and bond with them.  My favourite characteristic however, is the great humour richly embedded throughout every chapter.  

Vincent is a young orphaned mage who wanders the world seeking revenge against Stephan, the shadow mage who murdered Vincent's parents.  He lands in the town of Owensville and begins to settle in community.  There he soon is stalked by an Alpha shifter, becomes the target of assassins, finds he destine mate and begins to learn how to control his powers.  His adventures, intrigues, love and friends will enthral you, and keep you reading for hours on end.  I know you will enjoy all the thrills and chills as well as the love in this tale.

Response from the author:

Thank you so much for your review, raven!

It was a blast following your comments as you read this book. I'm tickled you enjoyed it, and I hope to see you reread it. A certain Signature Author and I are working on a major edit. Eliminating wordiness, repetitions, and bending the story-telling into one POV per scene. Same story and plot, just a lot cleaner. It's still going to take several months, but it'll be worth the wait. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..