Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2020- Spring - Full Moon Entry

Explosions - 2. Decision

“How do we know you’re telling the truth?” Tejan stood on the outside edge of the crowd. “And how do we know we can trust this goddess of yours, if you are? If she exists, she’s been negligent carrying out her promise of protection.” Several gasps emanated from the assembled wolf people.

They had gathered in darkness, their superior night vision allowing them to find their way. The secluded location, a rock-strewn field on the northernmost part of the island, protected them from prying human eyes.

“Insulting me seems to be a recurring trend, Tejan. Considering who it comes from, I give it little value. But be careful how you speak of the goddess.” Alketa heard murmurs of assent. “You may not be religious, but most of us are.”

“Then you can stay and trust in your gods. I have a better idea. We can begin ferrying people to a safer location. One not about to disappear as you claim Atlantis will. A good captain could run several trips until all of us are safe.” The small group of allies surrounding the dark-skinned man vociferously agreed.

“SILENCE!” Alketa did not look or sound pleased. “And I suppose you would be the man to lead the escape?”

“I have the most experience navigating the seas. I’m the obvious one to be in charge.”

“Are you confronting me again?”

Tejan stepped toward the front, away from his cohorts. “It’s time someone did. You and your imaginary spirits will lead us all to oblivion. You’ve been ineffective since you took over for your father, and useless since your mutt of a mate died.” The Mandinko squared his shoulders and stared at the pack’s leader. His eyes and Aletka’s took on an amber glow, indication of an impending shift. “In accordance with our laws, I formally challenge you for the leadership of the Atlantis Wolf Pack.”

The natural amphitheater the pack used for large gatherings had seen countless battles between wolves. Although Alketa’s family line had ruled the pack over the prior couple of centuries, one of his ancestors attained the throne through a challenge like the one Tejan issued. If he won, the Mandinko’s progeny would reign until a new opponent came forth.

“I accept!” Alketa was ready to prove he deserved his position by more than inheritance. While the council of elders moved people out of the way, he walked over to his son. “What you’re about to see, Akai, is the way of our people. You shouldn’t worry about me. I will defeat him, and our goddess will save us. Watch carefully and learn. Although I hope you’re never in this position when you take over for me.”

“Bite him on the throat, father. Make certain he never bothers you again.” The boy’s face showed nothing but confidence in his father.

“We’ll see how it goes. You stay here with Basilios.” Alketa hugged his son and rose to repeat the embrace with his friend. “If anything happens, look after Akai,” he whispered.

Turning, he faced Tejan. The black man wasted no time; he began shifting before entirely crouching. Alketa followed a moment later. Tejan’s wolf was as dark as the inside of a cave, while Alketa’s fur showed a range of colors—primarily brown with copper and gold highlights. The wolves growled and circled the arena without either one approaching.

Although larger and heavier, the black wolf was not as fast or nimble as the other one. Alketa was certain his opponent would try to use his bulk to pin him down before biting and was ready when Tejan leaped. While he was still in the air, Alketa ran under the attacker’s body, turned around, and leaped on his back. Bared fangs latched onto Tejan’s neck, and powerful claws raked his sides. Howling, Tejan ran, trying to dislodge Alketa.

Fur flew and blood seeped from the wounds inflicted. Tejan shook hard enough to dislodge the other wolf and tried to lick anywhere the skin was broken. The momentary distraction would prove to be his downfall. Taking advantage of the moment, it was Alketa’s turn to leap and land on the bleeding animal. He had to press the attack and finish the fight as quickly as possible; given a chance to recover, the injured wolf would be even more dangerous.

Tejan looked up just in time to swing a powerful leg and swat away the pack’s leader. Alketa landed on all four paws; the hit was not as hard as he expected. The injuries had to be affecting the black wolf. They circled each other, growling, until Tejan once again jumped. Alketa held his ground. At the last minute, he opened his maw and clamped onto Tejan’s throat from beneath.

Howls of pain echoed from the rockface; Alketa held on with his powerful jaws while jerking the challenger around. But he did not want to kill him. Licking blood from his lips, he released the animal who, whimpering, tried to crawl away. Alketa slowly followed until Tejan stopped. Growling, the brown wolf bared his teeth, the vanquished opponent in turn bared his neck, submitting to the victor.

In the end, everyone agreed it all happened so fast they could have missed some of the action. A few wondered aloud why Tejan had been allowed to live. “Because he’s a wolf. One of ours no matter what. Our pack faces danger, and we can use a strong man. I think he learned his lesson.” Alketa refused to say more.

It appeared he was right. Tejan formally accepted defeat moments after shifting. “Never thought you had it in you. But warrior to warrior, I admit you bested me. You will hear no further dissent from me or my supporters.”

 

“We’re here.” The loose sand yielded to the pressure as Alketa used his finger to draw an X next to the crescent representing Atlantis. “The question is, where do we go from here?”

Staring at the other shapes his friend had drawn to the right and left, Basilios scratched his head. “You’re certain we won’t be able to remain on Atlantis?”

“I am. Anul said there would be a cataclysm, and I believe it means Atlantis will be destroyed. The only way I see her saving us as promised, is to relocate us. I don’t know how she’ll do it, but I’d rather have an idea of where we might go.”

“Not west, we don’t really know what lies in that direction.” Basilios pointed at a squiggly line meant to represent the unknown coastline of lands rumored to exist in that direction. “The little we’ve heard was from the light-haired people from the north. The ones who settled in Atlantis decades ago. They had never been there and only heard rumors themselves.”

“I would also rule out the far north where they came from. I’m not sure our people could survive the cold even wrapped in furs like the ones they carried. The thought of frozen water falling from the sky and covering the ground for months on end is not comforting.” Alketa turned to the third man squatting next to them. “What do you think?”

“So far, I agree with both of you.” Following his defeat, Tejan kept his word. Instead of impeding planning, he volunteered to help. “I would also eliminate the territories I came from.” He pointed at the amorphous drawing representing a landmass to the southeast of Atlantis. “Most of the coastline’s inhabited or so dense with vegetation it would be years before anyone could establish a community.”

“Remember we’re only concerned with a few hundred, the wolf people. The thousands not part of our clan are not our responsibility.” Alketa had made it clear his duty was to watch over the wolves and not the other residents of the kingdom.

“What about in here?” Tejan indicated an oval east of Atlantis and north of his homeland. The drawing showed a narrow opening between land to the north and south.

“I’m not sure we could find an area sufficiently isolated to serve us.” Basilios once again scratched his head; it was a habit whenever he was lost in thought. “The reed-boat people come from here”—he marked the southeast corner of the oval—“and my ancestors from here.” He indicated the area north of the first one. “Most of the coast is settled all around.”

“That doesn’t leave us much.” Alketa circled the section just north of the opening between the seas. “We’ve never met travelers from here, and it’s not so far north we would face the low temperatures supposedly affecting the far reaches. If given the opportunity, I think this is where we should resettle.”

Copyright © 2020 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 10
My deepest thanks to all who helped me to make this a readable work. And to you, the readers, my gratitude for spending time with me. Your reactions, coomments and reviews are welcome and appreciated.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2020- Spring - Full Moon Entry

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 6/5/2020 at 11:25 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

I'm gonna have to write more fight scenes. Who knew there was a thirst for blood out there. LOL

You should have realised that after editing for @WolfM what a blood thirsty batch we are.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

You should have realised that after editing for @WolfM what a blood thirsty batch we are.

I'll ask for his help in the next one. Not only as beta reader but to make sure the gory details are really gory. :P

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, lomax61 said:

Nice continuation from chapter one. You’re letting us see the pack dynamics more in this chapter, the challenge to leadership, the fight, and honour in defeat of Tejan, who probably expected death.

Although I broke the story up into chapters, I asked they all be posted simultaneously since it's really on tale. I'm glad you feel they flow well.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mansexlover said:

Great chapter. Interesting to read about Atlantis from another perspective.

Thanks, bud. Glad you're enjoying my take.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The fight was exciting, but I liked that Alketa spared Tejan's life.  It shows an alpha that thinks of his pack first.  It seems to have work as Tejan is now assisting and giving advice on where to relocate.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, raven1 said:

The fight was exciting, but I liked that Alketa spared Tejan's life.  It shows an alpha that thinks of his pack first.  It seems to have work as Tejan is now assisting and giving advice on where to relocate.  

Bingo!

If we can co-opt enemies to our side once we defeat them in battle, we ensure a more secure future. The macro version of it would be the aftermath of WWII with our former enemies (Japan and Germany) becoming staunch allies. Fists are fine in some instances, but dialogue and diplomacy will ultimately win the day.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Bingo!

If we can co-opt enemies to our side once we defeat them in battle, we ensure a more secure future. The macro version of it would be the aftermath of WWII with our former enemies (Japan and Germany) becoming staunch allies. Fists are fine in some instances, but dialogue and diplomacy will ultimately win the day.

That analogy was exactly what sprung to my mind.  I am a history and science nerd and this fits my interests so closely.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, raven1 said:

That analogy was exactly what sprung to my mind.  I am a history and science nerd and this fits my interests so closely.

My big series has a lot of political and more recently geopolitical threads. I've been thinking a lot about how my MC will react to Russia's belligerence and the aftermath. If Putin loses convincingly, there might be a push to damage Russia the way the Versailles Treaty tried to hammer the Germans. Anyway, just what's been rattling in my mind recently. Maybe I should think about pre-CE politics instead. LOL

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hi Carlos,  I like the direction of this story as well interested in the series you mentioned.  Is it part of the CJ universe?  I have actually been a fan of yours for years, but never able to let you know until I discovered GA.  I hope to catch up on CJ and the family soon.  I also admire the help you give to other writers.  Just keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Terry

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, raven1 said:

Hi Carlos,  I like the direction of this story as well interested in the series you mentioned.  Is it part of the CJ universe?  I have actually been a fan of yours for years, but never able to let you know until I discovered GA.  I hope to catch up on CJ and the family soon.  I also admire the help you give to other writers.  Just keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. Where did you read my stuff before.

As for the series I refer to, it's the CJ one. He was involved in domestic politics while a kid and is now working at the US embassy in Mexico City, so he's dealing with international stuff.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Thanks, Terry. Where did you read my stuff before.

As for the series I refer to, it's the CJ one. He was involved in domestic politics while a kid and is now working at the US embassy in Mexico City, so he's dealing with international stuff.

I read CJ's stories on CRVBoy's website.  I think I left off during the time CJ was in Georgetown.  I don't know why I stopped, but probably just forgot to check for a new book.  GA is so much easier to keep track of what I am reading and want to read.  That is why I make it my main base for reading now.  It is also easier not to get stuck reading an abandoned story and get frustrated.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I read CJ's stories on CRVBoy's website.  I think I left off during the time CJ was in Georgetown.  I don't know why I stopped, but probably just forgot to check for a new book.  GA is so much easier to keep track of what I am reading and want to read.  That is why I make it my main base for reading now.  It is also easier not to get stuck reading an abandoned story and get frustrated.

I posted on CRV and Nifty but now use solely GA. It's so much easier for authors because I can post and edit chapters directly.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..