Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 3,518 Words
  • 7,945 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Escaping the Pain - 17. Chapter 17

First day back.
Dane spent the time Tap was in practice at the library. He had managed to stay caught up with his assignments and the teachers agreed to let him take his make-up tests in the library after school while he was waiting for Tap so it actually worked out really well. The library was close to the locker rooms so Dane saw the team coming off the field and down for showers. He packed his books up into his backpack and slowly made his way out of the building over to Tap's car. He was moving slow enough that Tap was coming out of the locker room after his shower about the time he finally made it.

"Hey, why didn't you wait for me? I would have helped you out Dane," Tap called as he jogged over to open the passenger door. Dane was shaking by the time he got there. The day had taken a toll on him and he was ready to go home and take a pain pill and rest.

"I saw you come off the field. I figured this would be faster." He carefully maneuvered into the passenger seat, sighing in relief when he settled in. Tap handed him the keys to turn the car on; it was burning hot inside and sweat was already starting to make Dane's back damp where it touched the seat. The fan blowing the hot air felt good even before the air conditioner started running.

"Next time wait for me, okay?" Tap shut the door and then threw his equipment bag in the backseat. "God, it's hot out here. Hey, I'll be right back okay, I forgot to grab my hat out of my locker."

"I really don't think I'm going to be running off anywhere," Dane joked. "I'll just rest here."

Tap could see how tired Dane was. His back was slouched and his face was pale. Charlie would be there tonight and should have some dinner ready for Dane when he got there. He jogged into the locker room and grabbed his hat to help block out the still fierce evening sun.

"Hey Tap! Great practice man. I can't wait for Districts this weekend." Dave was standing at his car in front of Tap's. He was waiting while his car ran with the air conditioner on to cool it off.

"Thanks Dave, you did pretty well yourself. I think we really have a chance this year."

"So where are you headed?" Dave asked, leaning against his car and wincing when his side came in contact with the hot metal. He moved away from the car a little.

"Over to Dane's. His caregiver is there tonight so I will probably head home for dinner with my family. What are you up to tonight?"

"Just doing some homework. Hey, do you mind if I talk to Dane for a minute? You don't have to rush off or anything do you?"

"Nah, go ahead. You don't have to ask me you know." Dave walked over to Dane's window as Tap got into the driver's seat.

Dane rolled down his window and looked up at Dave quickly before back down nervously.

"Hey Dane, I'm Dave." Dave crouched down to make talking easier.

"Hey, yeah, I know. We're in Economics together, right?"

"Yeah, look, uh, this is sort of weird to ask you and don't worry if you want to say no. I uh, I know I haven't really talked to you much before but I noticed you were pretty good in class. I’m sort of lost. If I don't pull an A- on the test on Wednesday I won't be able to play in districts this weekend. I was kinda wondering if you would help me study?" Dave fidgeted, one hand rubbing on the back of his neck. Dane had taken his hat off and he could see the scars that criss crossed one side of his head. It looked pretty bad and with how pale the poor guy looked Dave wasn’t sure if he would be up to helping him out.

Dane smiled at him, "Sure." The guy was one of Tap's friends and Dane also knew how important Districts was to Tap. Dave had never really been friendly but he seemed like a nice enough guy.

Dave was looking around and down at the pavement, nervous about staring at Dane and making him feel self-conscious about his scars and bruises. Grinning, he looked up. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," Dane smiled back and suddenly Dave couldn't see the scars past the beaming smile. "Can we do it tomorrow though? I'm really tired tonight."

"Actually that'd be great. I've an assignment for Calculus to do tonight anyway. Um, do you want me to come to your place?"

Dane looked over at Tap, frowning as he suddenly remembered, “I told your mom we'd go over to your house for dinner tomorrow night while Charlie is at class."

"Oh no worries, Dave's an old friend. He used to come over all the time. Mom won't mind," Tap said confidently. "You want to come over after practice for dinner and you guys can study afterward Dave?"

"I’d get to eat some of your mom's cooking and get help on my damn Economics studying? You don't have to ask me twice!" Dave stood up. "I'll see you guys tomorrow. Thanks!"

"I'm sorry if I put you on the spot," Dane turned in his seat a little, settling his broken leg a bit more comfortably. "I forgot about dinner at your house and I'm really too tired tonight to do anything but go home."

Tap reached out and squeezed Dane's thigh, "It's really no big deal. Dave used to come over all the time before the season started. We've known each other for a long time and we've been pretty close."

"Close?" Dane couldn't help the questioning tone and the eyebrow that rose up. "Did you guys, umm... date?"

"Dave and me?" Tap laughed, "No. He's not my type at all. Besides, it'd be like dating Brent. I've known Dave as far back as I can remember. That would just be too weird."

Dane felt the tightness in his chest ease a bit; he hadn't realized he was worried about Dave being a threat until that moment. "Oh, well, good." He smiled slyly, "So what is your type?"

"Short, blue-eyed and gimpy of course." Tap snickered.

"Gimpy?" Dane glared at Tap, "I'll give you gimpy!" Dane smacked Tap's side.

"Oof," Tap grunted, "Hey, I'm driving here!"

"And that is all that is saving you from worse," Dane warned him.

"Okay, okay. Well, it's sort of embarrassing. I just have always had a thing for little guys, you know? Something about having a small slim guy with sleek muscles curling up on my lap just does it for me." Tap was blushing beet red. "Does that sound weird?"

"No. I've always been attracted to muscular jocks. It's okay to have a type you know. I'm just glad I'm yours." Dane settled back in the seat, happy to know that Tap wouldn't go for someone like Dave. He was easily 5 inches taller than Dane and a lot bigger in the muscles department.

"I think you would be my type no matter what you looked like," Tap smiled tenderly at Dane.

Dane reached over and twined his fingers with Tap's. "Thank you," he said simply. He felt a rush of warmth and was consumed by a feeling of love for Tap. He steered away from that thought. Love was something he had little experience with. He wasn't ready to really think about that level of commitment but he knew he felt more for Tap than any other person alive and that was saying a lot. They finished the drive in silence, holding hands in quiet comfort.

"I promised Mom I'd be home for dinner tonight," Tap said after he pulled into the apartment parking lot.

"Okay, I've some reading to do before I go to bed but that’s it. I’m so tired I couldn’t do anything more even if I had to. Today was difficult."

Tap squeezed Dane's fingers, "You'll get used to it and you'll be better in no time." They got out of the car and Dane slowly made his way into the apartment. Charlie met them in the living room.

"Hey guys, how did school go today?"

"Long," Dane answered as he sank slowly down onto the couch. He sighed. "Oh this feels good."

Tap put his backpack down next to him on the floor. "Dane had more help than he knew what to do with."

Charlie smiled, he had talked Dane through a small bit of a panic attack last night after Tap left so he was glad that Dane's fears had been reassured. "That's cool. Ready for some dinner? I made chicken and pasta."

"Sounds good but I promised the folks I'd be home for dinner tonight. I have to go." Tap leaned over and gave Dane a quick kiss.

"Mmm," Dane smiled. “Goodnight Tap.”

"Night babe. See ya Charlie." Tap tossed a wave over his shoulder as he headed out the door. He was running a little late and didn't want to give his mom any reason to nag.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

Pete sat on the edge of the couch in Alan Kendricks’ living room. It was messy and the air smelled of burned food and beer. He grimaced in disgust. "God Alan, what in the hell is going on with you?" Alan looked little better than his house. His hair was unwashed and his face covered in stubble. The clothes he was wearing were wrinkled. It looked like he hadn’t bathed or changed his clothes in days.

"Let's see, my wife just died, she left all her money to that little queer she gave birth to and I'm being punished for him stealing my car. The friendly police department here impounded my wife's car when I drove it to the hospital and gave me the privilege of paying to get it back. Since my son crashed my car I didn't really have a choice, lucky me!" Alan picked up his beer and took a big swig.

"The way the file reads you were beating on your son and it's not like you don't have your own money. You don't need your wife's so what has you so insane over this? You weren't this man when I knew you before Alan."

"I know what kind of man I was and I know what kind I am now!" Alan glared at Pete. "You told me all the official case details so if you don't have anything better to say to me than lectures then get the hell out of my house."

Pete stood up and picked up his briefcase, "My pleasure. I don't know why I put up with your shit but this is it. I'll take care of your case next month and I don't ever want to hear from you again. And you better figure clean yourself up and look reputable. "

"Yeah, right." Alan smirked, "I'll be there waiting for when my son testifies against me, don't worry."

** ** ** ** ** ** **

Mr. Echels answered his cell phone as he was driving home from the office. "Hello?" He smiled and listened for a few minutes. "Ahh, good to hear. I still want you to keep a close eye out. Keep in touch. Love you too, bye." Hanging up his phone, he pulled into the parking lot of the local Italian restaurant.

His wife was meeting him for a dinner out; it was their anniversary. He grabbed flowers and a small wrapped box from the passenger seat. Too many years he had been busy with cases and a never-ending workload. It was good to have the time to focus on his family.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

"That was great, Mrs. L." Dave slouched in his chair at the table, sighing in pleasure as he put down his fork. "I always miss my dinners here during the season."

Keri smiled in pleasure. "You're welcome here anytime hun."

"Oh stop kissing up." Tap flicked Dave.

"Tap!" Dane chided him, "Be nice. It really was good, Mrs. Leeran."

"Thank you Dane."

"You guys are playing a pretty good game this season, Dave." Patrick scraped his fork across his pie plate and put the last bite in his mouth.

"I think it's the best time since we were freshmen. It'd be nice to win Districts our senior year. I think we have a pretty good shot," Dave said confidently.

"Cocky much?" Brett asked.

"You know it. You're just jealous because you guys never made it," Tap said smugly.

Brett balled up his napkin and tossed it at Tap. Tap slapped it to one side and it hit Dane in the face. He recoiled.

"Enough! Go study or whatever boys. Just take your roughhousing away from my table," Keri shooed them away.

"I'm heading out Mom; I've got plans to meet Melanie at the mall." Brett kissed his mom on his cheek as he took his plate into the kitchen. The boys pitched in to clear the table then headed upstairs to Tap's room to study. Tap flopped down on to the soft green quilt that covered his bed and bunched a few pillows under him. He grabbed his PSP and turned it on.

"Oh don't you look comfortable," Dave said.

"Yep, joys of being me. No homework. Now you guys can slave away while I play," Tap smirked.

Dane reached out from his chair at the desk and smacked Tap on the leg, "You be quiet or I'll have to hurt you. No distracting him."

Dave laughed at Tap's disgruntled look and the thought of Dane beating up on the big guy. "Yeah, so there!"

Tap threw a glare Dave’s way and then smiled innocently at Dane. Wanting to stay in his good graces he decided to turn his attention to his game. It was safer that way. He turned on his game as Dane started to quiz Dave on the recent chapters of the Economics. They spent a good hour going over things.

"I get it!" Dave sounded excited. "Yenner never explains things where I can understand them like you do. Dude, this is awesome. I'm not gonna fail."

"I know. Yenner is pretty dry. My old teacher always used real life examples to make the information make sense. That's all I was doing with you," Dane smiled at him.

Dave gave him a one-armed hug, really happy. He had been afraid he'd be kicked off the team and he had tried to study on his own but the material just didn't make sense. He was so relieved that he couldn't sit still. He let go of Dane and stood up which was good because Tap was glaring at him.

"Woah, dude. Get killed or something?" Dave asked. Dane glanced at Tap, startled by his glower.

"Uh, yeah, sure." Dave looked between Tap and Dane and then started smiling. He opened his mouth to say something but the sudden shake of Tap's head and his quick glance at Dane and away stopped Dave.

Dave shut his mouth and looked thoughtful. He bent over and picked up his book and notebook before looking up at Dane who was staring at the desk. "Hey man, really, thanks again. You look kinda tired though. I should probably get home anyway, do some more studying and get my history homework done." Dave was bouncing a little on his toes, unable to stand still. He was always moving, bouncy and energetic as a small child. It was cute.

Dane was smiling again; he liked Dave. "You’re welcome. If you need more help before finals let me know. We can arrange for more study time. You can come over to my place if you want next time but it won't have Mrs. Leeran's cooking. I've got corn dogs in the freezer though."

"Hmm... corn dogs. Sounds good. Now I'm hungry again."

Dane laughed, "You are just like Tap, always hungry! What is with you guys?"

"Hey, we're just growing boys. Nothing wrong with that!" Tap protested, smiling a bit. "C'mon Dave, I'll walk you out. Be back in a minute to help you down the stairs Dane."

"Okay." Dane hobbled over to sit on the bed, leaning back and sighing as Tap and Dave left the room. He could hear them thundering down the stairs.

"You're into him aren't you?" Dave asked Tap bluntly when they got to the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah," Tap sighed.

"So what's the problem?" Dave was frowning, "Is he straight?"

"No. It's just... things are complicated. Dane has been through some rough stuff lately and at his last school. He doesn't want anyone to know he's gay much less that we are boyfriends."

Dave smiled and punched him in the arm, "Boyfriends? Cool! Way to go dude, he's cute."

Tap frowned at him and then slowly grinned, "Yeah, he is cute isn't he? But he's mine, remember that!"

Dave held up both his hands, "No worries. I wouldn't do that. Besides, he's way into you. I could tell."

"Just don't say anything to anyone, okay? He's really freaked about something happening to out him and people's reaction. I told him no one cared but he isn't ready."

"I can get that. I won't say anything. I wouldn't out someone anyway, that shit's too personal to be anyone else's business." Dave stopped in the front door. "I'm here if you guys need to talk though."

"Thanks man. See you tomorrow."

"See you." Tap shut the door behind Dave and then took off up the stairs, taking them two at a time.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

The ride back to Dane's apartment was quiet at first. Sitting in the passenger seat Dane was resting his head against the back of the seat as he relaxed. His life was completely different now and it was all due to the man sitting next to him. He looked over at Tap and smiled.

"What's the look for?" Tap asked as he glanced over at Dane before focusing back on the road.

"You."

"Me what?" Tap looked back over at Dane again, his forehead wrinkled as he tried to figure out what Dane meant.

"You're amazing you know that?" Dane picked up Tap's hand where it rested on the gear shift. "My life wouldn't be anything like this if I hadn't met you."

Tap's grin grew and he squeezed Dane's hand. "I don't want to think about what my life would be like without you. You are good for me too you know."

"I don't feel like I do anything for you," Dane said honestly.

"You do." Tap pulled his hand out of Dane's grip and ran it down his cheek. "Just don't be letting that Dave talk you into doing anything for him, alright?"

Dane's eyes got huge and his mouth fell open, "What? What do you mean?"

"Oh like you couldn't tell he was practically eating out of your hand!" Tap teased.

Dane blinked. "Wuh?"

Tap looked over at him and started laughing, "Wow, you really didn't realize did you?"

"Dave likes me?" Dane was frowning, "Does he think I'm gay? Does he know?"

"He didn't say he liked you. But you're his type and he is your type. I'd hate to have to compete against one of my best friends for my boyfriend. Of course I'd win; he's not nearly half the man I am. I know, I've seen him in the showers," Tap was smirking.

Dane slapped Tap's arm, "Perv! I can't believe you had me worrying about him knowing about me. You shouldn't tease me like that. I just might have to get revenge."

"Oh, I think I can handle anything you can dish out," Tap was openly leering at Dane now.

"Oh my god! What is with you all of a sudden?" Dane was shaking his head at the still smirking Tap when they pulled into the apartment parking lot. Tap turned off the car.

"Watching my boyfriend all day and not being able to touch him is what got into me." Tap slid his hand behind Dane's neck and tugged him toward him, leaning down and kissing him slowly and passionately as the setting sun slowly warmed the car. Tap pulled back a little and rested his forehead against Dane's. "I miss having you to myself."

"Charlie won't be here for about an hour. Want to come in and help me get ready for tomorrow?"

"Get ready?"

"I need to take a shower. I need to wrap my casts and it's hard to stand for long." He looked up at Tap through his lashes, biting his lower lip, "I'd hate to slip."

Charlie walked in a bit later, putting his key down on the kitchen counter. "Hey guys, I'm here. Sorry I'm late." He frowned when there was no answer.

Copyright © 2011 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 5
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

LOL Dane is starting to loosen up, weeks after the accident he is just now deciding he needs help in the shower....the little minx

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/01/2015 09:56 AM, Headstall said:
Oh Oh...I hope they are just being naughty in the shower....
;)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..