Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 3,552 Words
  • 8,424 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Escaping the Pain - 20. Chapter 20

It happens.

Sunday was hot and the infield was dusty. Tap had streaks on his face from the dirt on the inside of his catcher's mask but all Dane could see was the big grin he had as he whooped and joined his team in celebrating their win to take first in Districts. Dane managed to forget his shyness long enough to cheer along with several other people in the stands who had made the drive to support the high school's team.

During a break between the games Dave joined Tap and Dane on a trip to the closest fast food restaurant. They grabbed a bunch of dollar menu burgers and chicken sandwiches. On the way back Dane asked Tap to pull into a small grocery store.

Dane handed Dave a fifty dollar bill, "Here Dave, run in and grab a bunch of Gatorade and waters, will you? Enough for the whole team."

"Sure." Dave got out of the car and jogged into the store, his leg muscles flexing in his tight baseball pants.

"Hey!" Tap frowned at Dane and reached out to tweak his nose, "Stop staring at his butt!"

Dane blushed then grinned, "It's not as nice as yours," he said smoothly. "I've been watching you squatting behind home plate all weekend. It's driving me nuts!"

"Oh, well then. As long as mine's better," Tap said smugly. He was so easy!

"Sure is." Dane leaned over and put his forehead on Tap's shoulder. The radio was turned down, rock music could be heard faintly through the speakers and they sat quietly while they waited for Dave. Dane saw Dave standing at the register and waved at him when he looked out the window. Seeing him hand over the money Dane kissed Tap's shoulder and sat up. Tap smiled down at him.

The guys on the team were thrilled with the burgers. Being teenage boys it only took a few minutes before all that was a left was a big pile of empty wrappers. It was a really hot day so the Gatorade and water were a welcome break from the lukewarm water in the team water coolers.

"Hey Coach!" Tap called to get his attention. The coach was standing with the assistant coach discussing their lineup for the next game and he dropped his clipboard to catch the bottle of Gatorade Tap tossed at him. Tap burst out laughing. The assistant coach was better prepared and caught his without trouble.

"Watch it Leeran! You're a catcher, not a pitcher!" Coach called out.

"Is that true?" Dave whispered in Dane's ear.

Dane choked on his water, blushing scarlet. Tap glared at Dave who put on an innocent look and took a few steps away from Dane with his hands raised. Dane coughed a bit and Tap bent down to check on him. The coach wandered over just as Dane managed to catch his breath.

"Thanks for getting the drinks and stuff for the team, Leeran." The coach clapped him on the back.

"Actually it was Dane's idea and he forked over the cash for it too." Tap ruffled Dane's hair which got him a glare and a frown. It was too much effort to get up though so he just shook his head as he smoothed his hair back down.

The coach smiled at Dane, "That was mighty nice of you, son. I hope you didn't blow all your money though."

Dane ducked his head. He felt like everyone in the small town had to know what had happened to him with his dad and afterward but it didn't seem like the coach did. Dane didn't want to get into it so he just said, "It was no problem. Everyone's been really cool and I could afford it."

"Well, thanks then. I'm sure all these lazy bums said thanks too." He raked a glance at the teenage boys lounging on the grass in the shade all around them. There was a chorus of voices saying "Thanks, Dane!" and Dane just nodded and smiled. Tap was grinning and the coach walked away smirking. The team sat around and talked about the games they had played so far and the last one they had coming up. It was for first and second place, between them and Laurelhurst Academy and they were longtime rivals. They were a good team too and hard to beat. They had done it in the regular season but they were the only team Laurelhurst lost to.

"Hey ladies, how about you stop gossiping and head out on the field to warm up. It's almost game time!" the coach called. There were some groans as everyone gathered up their lunch wrappers and gear and moved out on the field.

"Good luck," Dane told them, "I'll be cheering for you guys!"

Dave laughed, "Thanks little guy!"

Dane gasped and gave Tap a narrow look. Tap laughed, "Hey, it's not like I'm the only one who could come up with that." Dane glared at him anyway with his arms crossed over his chest. Tap leaned down to whisper in his ear, "Besides, I like my little guy."

Dane blushed but a small smile erased his frown. He pushed Tap away, "Go on, get out there." Tap smirked at him before he jogged on to the field, taking his place over home plate so that the pitcher could start warming up.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

Laurelhurst had folded early in the game, their pitcher giving up too many runs for them to come back from. The game was over a good hour and a half before they expected it to be. Rather than meeting the team for dinner at the popular restaurant halfway home they went through the drive-thru and ate their burgers on the way back to get back even earlier.

"I can't wait until we do this for real next year," Tap said as they drove back home, holding hands with the music low, "I loved waking up beside you this weekend."

Dane smiled shyly, "Me too," he said. He rubbed the back of Tap's hand with his other hand, the finger tips tracing small patterns. "I never thought my life would turn out like this. I don't think I've ever been so happy."

Tap squeezed his hand and glanced at him, "You deserve it. You are the best person I have ever known, gentle, kind, hot..." he grinned at the blush that rolled up Dane's face staining his cheeks pink. He took a deep breath, "I love you, you know. I never thought I would find the person I wanted to live with for the rest of my life at seventeen but I know what I want. I want us, always."

Tears shimmered in Dane's eyes, "I love you too," he whispered. Tap pulled their intertwined hands up and kissed Dane's fingertips. They finished the drive in silence, their linked hands joining them body as well as heart.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

They were tired that night when they pulled into the apartment building parking lot even though they got home a few hours early. "Looks like we beat Charlie home," Dane said, looking around the parking lot for his car and not seeing it.

Tap unbuckled his seat belt with a sigh, "Good. I could go for a hot shower," he turned and grinned at Dane, "You wanna join me?"

Dane looked surprised and then looked at his casts, "I thought we were being good?"

"The games are over. Besides, I can be good," Tap drawled, "I can be very good." He raised his eyebrows and tried to look seductive. Dane bent over his lap as he burst out laughing.

Tap reached out and poked Dane in the side, "Hey, stop laughing at your boyfriend! It's not nice!"

Dane tried to smother his snickers, "Sorry," he choked out.

"Yeah, right." Tap tried to pout but looking at Dane giggling he couldn't help but join in. Dane was still giggling when Tap calmed so he reached over and pressed his lips to Dane's. The kiss was soft in contrast to the firm grip Tap had on his neck. Dane's laughter died instantly as their lips gently moved together and Tap pulled away to nibble on his bottom lip before softly pressing a kiss to each corner of Dane's mouth and one final full kiss that seemed to bring the heat of the car up at least ten degrees.

"Join me?" Tap asked again in a husky voice.

Dane trembled and tried to speak. His mouth opened and shut a few times before he nodded. That made Tap chuckle. "Okay, let's get you inside."

Tap got out and got Dane's crutches out of the trunk. He opened Dane's door and handed them over once he got out. After Dane found his balance Tap opened up the rear door and pulled out his bag. He still had a spare set of clothes. His cell phone beeped at him but he was too busy watching the muscles in Dane's legs flex in his shorts as the swung over to the apartment door to pay attention. He hustled over behind him. If they wrapped up Dane's casts quickly they might get forty-five minutes to themselves to enjoy the hot water. That was the good thing about living in an apartment; the hot water didn't run out like it did at his house.

Dane fished his keys out of his pocket and unlocked the door. Shoving it open he took a few steps into the apartment, emptying his pockets of his phone and keys on the kitchen counter by the entryway. He took a step into the kitchen and called over his shoulder. "Hey, will you turn the air conditioning up, it's hot in here. I'm going to grab a couple of bags for my casts."

Tap shut the door behind him, "Yeah, sure babe. I'll grab the tape off your dresser and meet you in the bathroom."

"Sounds good."

Dane balanced on one leg and held on to the counter as he bent down to grab the bags under the sink. Tearing off two he put the box back. He was standing up when he heard the sound of scuffling from his bedroom and a loud grunt.

"Did you trip over something?" he called as he began to swing into the living room. When Tap didn't answer he got tense. Something didn't feel right. He took two steps to his bedroom and then sighed in relief when he saw Tap move into the doorway but he frowned when he saw the expression on Tap's face.

"Babe?"

Dane gasped when Tap was shoved into the living room and his father walked in behind him holding a gun. He felt the familiar sense of panic come over him at seeing his father's face. He vaguely recalled scenes of Alan yelling over him in the hospital bed but those memories were fragmented and covered in a fog caused by his head injury and the drugs. The last real memory he had was of the vicious beating his father gave him and as it flashed through his mind the pain and fear were overwhelming. He wobbled on his crutches.

Tap's face was set, his eyes angry. He held his body stiffly making Alan force him in the room with the small handgun shoved against the back of his head. Without taking his finger off the trigger Alan smacked Tap in the back of the head with the barrel. Tap groaned and stumbled, wincing at the sharp pain that made him want to throw up. He started to bring one hand up to his head.

"Put your goddamn hand down and get in there, you dirty pervert!" Alan snarled. "It's time you and my faggot son paid the price for your sick perversions!"

Seeing his father strike Tap brought Dane out of his panic. He couldn't allow his dad to hurt Tap like he had always hurt him. It wasn't right. "Dad! What are you doing? Put the gun down and let him go!"

"Who the hell do you think you are? Trying to tell me what to do!" Alan spit, "You're just a sick piece of trash I should have gotten rid of a long time ago. You don't tell me shit! Get over there by the wall, now!"

Dane hesitated and Alan hit Tap again, making Tap's knees buckle as his vision faded to black. He groaned and felt a trickle of warm fluid down his neck. The gun burned as it was pressed up against the gash in his skull and he wobbled at the intense pain and dizziness. He gagged as his stomach tried to bring up the last meal he had shared with Dane on their way home in the car, back when things were okay.

"I said get up against the wall!" Alan screamed, "Do it now or so help me god I will kill him right now!"

Dane scrambled to reach the wall, the pain in his leg completely ignored as he forgot to use the crutches in his fear. He dropped one when it snagged on the coffee table and the other hung uselessly from his hand. When he reached the wall he simply stood and stared at his dad as he stood behind Tap, holding the gun to his head.

Alan was dirty and his clothes were wrinkled, his button down shirt stained with sweat. His normally tidy hair was messy and his cheeks were covered in stubble. Even at the distance Dane stood he could see how bloodshot his eyes were and smell the stink of beer coming from his body. Dane flicked his eyes down to Tap who still seemed out of it from the two hits he had taken. The blood from the head wound had soaked into his collar and spread to where Dane could see it.

He had sat and waited all day in the heat of his car, unable to go get anything to eat because of all the cops that seemed to drive by his son's apartment every hour. He had been so thirsty but all he had was beer to drink. It seemed to steady his nerves so he sipped at the cans all day, making plans and muttering as he sat hidden under a weeping willow tree in a cluttered alley. It was worth it seeing Dane break.

He began to laugh as tears fell down Dane's cheeks. "You feel it now, don't you? The suffering? The pain your kind deserves? That's all you deserve! That money your bitch mother left you should have been mine and once I rid this world of you and this sick f**k it will be mine!"

Dane stiffened; his dad was going to shoot them! Oh gods, what was he going to do? He took a breath. He had to protect Tap, just like Tap had always protected him. He wouldn't let his dad kill him. His own death meant nothing but Tap... Tap didn't deserve to die just because of Dane.

"That money is mine because my mother must have seen through your act to what a bastard you are. She couldn't help me get away from you before but she certainly made sure that with her death I could. That money is mine and you will never see one penny!" Dane fumed, trying to distract his dad and direct his anger at him. He had to get Alan to move the gun from the back of Tap's head.

"That lawyer will have to give it to me when you're dead. It's mine! I deserve it! You're just a shameful stain on my family name that I will erase. We weren't even supposed to have kids! I made it almost to 40 before you had to come along. You're the biggest mistake I ever made and when I kill you your whole life will just be a bad memory that no one thinks of!" Alan's eyes were feverish and his hands trembled.

"This is my apartment, my building, all of these things I bought with MY money!" Dane flared as Alan stared at him and muttered under his breath, "And I made a will to make sure that you wouldn't get a dime even if the court disregarded Mom's wishes!" Tap's eyes were slowly becoming more alert and Dane glanced down at him, trying to put every ounce of love he had in that one look, the one he expected to be his last.

Alan's eyes narrowed and he shrieked in fury, "I knew it! I knew I should have just killed you myself that night instead of hoping the car accident would. You conniving little snake, you should have died instead of ruining all my plans! You will die, I'm going to shoot you and watch the life fade from your weak, pathetic body and then I'm going to kill your boyfriend too!"

Dane gave a bitter laugh, "But I'll still win. You won't get what you think you deserve. Instead, the cops will find you and you're going to be arrested. I'm guessing you were waiting for us in the bedroom for a while; your fingerprints must be everywhere! Someone will hear the shot and call the cops; you won't have any time to get rid of them, and they will convict you," Dane took a step forward and Alan swung the gun up to point it straight at him.

"Your mother is going to be forced to move from that nice home you have her in and she'll be left to sit in her own filth and die, just as miserable and alone as you will be as you spend the rest of your life in a cell for murdering your own son in a hate crime! I'm going to look down on you and laugh as you suffer!" Dane took another step forward.

Alan's hand was trembling as he drew in harsh breaths through his nose. He was blinded by rage; every word Dane said twisted his sick mind up further until he couldn't think at all. He growled, "You'll burn in hell!" and then he began to pull the trigger.

Dane looked down at Tap one last time and Tap's eyes widened when he saw the fatalistic acceptance there. Dane mouthed to him, "Run!" and then swung his gaze back to his father. Tap was still fuzzy but he knew what Dane was doing, he was trying to sacrifice himself so that Tap could get away.

Just before the gun went off Tap surged up off his knees, stumbling into Alan, "No!" he yelled. He turned, one fist drawn back and hit Alan in the face. Alan automatically swung his arm around and pointed the gun at Tap, shooting as soon as he had it up. Tap grunted and fell backward.

Dane screamed, "Tap! No!" and Alan laughed at the raw pain and anguish in the cry.

"Your turn!" he snarled as he turned. He was just facing Dane when the metal and plastic end of the forgotten crutch was swung at him. There was a wet sounding crack and his head jerked hard to one side with the force of the blow. With a groan he fell right where he had stood. The gun dropped from his hand to land a few feet away, bouncing on the soft carpet.

Dane stumbled and fell to his knees when the force of his desperate swing had stopped abruptly against Alan's skull. Sobs wracked his body as he looked at the still form of the one person who loved him. He ignored his father, focused only on reaching Tap. He searched for a pulse, shuddering when he touched the huge wet pool of blood across Tap's chest. Dane was so intent he didn't even hear the front door open.

"Dane! Look out!" Charlie shouted.

Charlie's words brought his head around to see his father unsteadily propping himself up on his knees and reaching for the gun as his blood dripped on to the carpet from the large cut over his right eye. Dane fell across Tap's chest and wrapped his arms around his head. He had to protect him until help came. He had to be okay, Tap couldn't leave Dane and Dane would not leave Tap. He wouldn't let his father shoot him again. He would die to save his love; he was prepared for it and could accept it as long as Tap lived.

Please let him live, Dane thought as he silently sobbed, You can take me, just let him live!

He tucked his face into Tap's still warm neck and hugged his body tight. He flinched when he heard the sound of another shot, hiccupping and weeping as he waited for the pain to hit him. He had been seriously hurt enough by his father to know that the worse the pain the longer it sometimes took to hurt. He didn't move as he waited; he would not let go of Tap, no matter what happened. He waited; breathing in Tap's scent underneath the strong smell of coppery blood and gunpowder, praying that Charlie got away and would get Tap help.

Copyright © 2011 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

no...No...NO!!! :(

please please PLEASE dont leave us hanging like this for long!!

u really should have taken me on my offer t shoot Alan when he was hiding behind Dane's Apt.!! ph34r.gif

 

Please post soon!!!

 

p.s.: i just realised i was holding my breath till right now..

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/08/2011 12:47 PM, Frostina said:
no...No...NO!!! :(

please please PLEASE dont leave us hanging like this for long!!

u really should have taken me on my offer t shoot Alan when he was hiding behind Dane's Apt.!! ph34r.gif

 

Please post soon!!!

 

p.s.: i just realised i was holding my breath till right now..

I hesitate to say promise, my kids have a way of sucking up my time but I shall endeavor to the best of my abilities to NOT torture you all too much. Don't want my readers to band together and torture me. Did you really end up holding your breath? I do that sometimes! It's like... gah! No!!!! Oh man! moments as I read. :evil grins:
Link to comment

It took me a while to get back on the site and this is what I find....a cliff hanger??? YES! But I must agree with Frostina-please don't make us wait too long.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/10/2011 07:20 AM, Wolflady said:
It took me a while to get back on the site and this is what I find....a cliff hanger??? YES! But I must agree with Frostina-please don't make us wait too long.
Yeah, it was a little cliffie, bad me! It won't be too long, I'm deep in the world of Dane and Tap and it's got a hold of my writing bug. I will be posting soon (and no, the last 3 week gap didn't count as soon).
Link to comment

Geez, when you promised to get to this and finish it, I didn't think you meant drive us over a cliff and leave us hanging - bad Cia, you are really are trying to be the queen of cliffhangers aren't you - well since you DON't want the title and you DID this to us in Chapter 20, I am going to hang up and go nominate you for Queen of Cliffhangers - sorry but it's your own fault.

 

Oh an by the way - awesome chapter - totally worth the wait. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/10/2011 01:09 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Geez, when you promised to get to this and finish it, I didn't think you meant drive us over a cliff and leave us hanging - bad Cia, you are really are trying to be the queen of cliffhangers aren't you - well since you DON't want the title and you DID this to us in Chapter 20, I am going to hang up and go nominate you for Queen of Cliffhangers - sorry but it's your own fault.

 

Oh an by the way - awesome chapter - totally worth the wait. :)

I saw that nomination! Good thing I'll be eclipsed by such cliffie writers as CJ and Nephy... (fingers crossed). I am glad you enjoyed the chapter. To some extent you know what happens, now you just get to find out what REALLY happened. 1-3k left to write to get it all down, a trip to beta land and a final read through and you guys should be reading the ending chapter soon. Thanks so much for the review, I love hearing what you think of my stories!!
Link to comment

Oh come ON. Are you doing this deliberately????

 

Cliffie after Cliffie. I am soooo going to nominate you for the Reader's Choice Awards. I, of course, never ever write cliffhangers

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/14/2011 05:18 AM, Nephylim said:
Oh come ON. Are you doing this deliberately????

 

Cliffie after Cliffie. I am soooo going to nominate you for the Reader's Choice Awards. I, of course, never ever write cliffhangers

OH yeah, you never write cliffhangers! I so don't buy that! Go ahead, I'm nominating you and Quonus :P I must fight back! Thanks so much for the review!!!
Link to comment

Yes I now understand why they say Cia is the master of the cliffhanger. You do it so well. I'm just so glad im reading after it was completed and I won't have to wait for an update. Tap was he'll bent he was going to protect Dane even if it cost him his life.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/01/2015 11:37 AM, Headstall said:
Freakin intense...
Right?!
Link to comment

So I'm guessing the final gunshot did not come from Alan's gun, but probably from the gun of a deputy..

Go on, @Cia, I dare you to prove me wrong. :P 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..