Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 3,523 Words
  • 8,037 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Escaping the Pain - 19. Chapter 19

A night away and a date.
Since Dane and Tap were driving up to Districts alone Tap decided to leave much earlier than the team would. He had been concerned that the traveling would be a bit hard on Dane and wanted to be able to stop frequently if they needed to. The sky was barely lightening when they got up to leave but the slight coolness was welcome before the sultry heat of the day would hit. They hit a fast food drive-thru for breakfast before they hit the ramp for the interstate and headed out of town.

They did stop a few times at gas stations for snacks and some sports drinks. It was only 9:00 am and they were already running the air conditioner full blast. "Hey Dane, did you remember to bring sunblock?" Tap asked.

Dane frowned, "I don't think so. I'll grab some." He walked down to the aisle with the medicines and household items looking for the sunblock. It was on the shelf right by the lotions and condoms. Dane blushed furiously as he looked at them. He almost reached for a box but when Tap called for him he jerked his arm back. He limped back to the registers.

"Hey, what took you so long?"

Dane flushed, "Oh, let's see how fast you go with a busted leg and arm then." He hid his embarrassment in sarcasm, hoping Tap wouldn't see it. He felt a surge of relief when Tap just stuck his tongue out at him and paid for the gas and snacks.

"Hey! I thought I was buying!" Dane protested.

"Hey yourself! I work; I can buy your energy bar and licorice," Tap threw back at him.

"I know, I just..." Dane sputtered.

"Uh huh. Well don't just." They slowly walked back to the car, Tap pulling Dane's door open for him before he got in the driver's side. They were silent as he pulled out of the lot and back on the freeway listening to the radio. Dane fidgeted nervously rubbing at his leg next to the opening of the cast where it often itched.

"Um, look, Tap; I'm sorry," Dane said. He bit his lip as he looked over at Tap, his hands still fidgeting.

Tap sighed and shook his head, "Me too. I know it's stupid. I just... See, my parents had this whole talk about me not taking advantage of you or losing focus on my goals right now and I think I'm being stupid because of that. I just don't want you to think that too." He reached over and grabbed Dane's hand and rubbed the knuckles with his fingers. "You mean too much to me; I don't want to screw this up."

Dane smiled, "Me either. But we just had a fight and worked it out pretty well though. No screaming or hitting, that's good," he joked.

Tap didn't take that well though. He looked serious and said, "I will never hit you Dane, you have to know that. I never want to see you hurt again, I would do anything to prevent that."

Dane squeezed his hand. "I know." It was a simple answer but spoke volumes of the trust Dane had for Tap. His trust had been betrayed by both is father and his best friend in the last year but he was still willing to try again. He just knew Tap was worth it.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

Deputies McDiffey and Jolston were going over Alan Kendricks' car with a fine toothed comb that morning. The car was a bit of a mangled mess, the roof and front of the car crushed. The front driver's side door was open, unable to shut after the body of the car had bent from the force of the accident. Starting with the back end of the car the deputies began with the trunk and moved forward as they searched. They didn't find anything until they got to the front seat.

Deputy Jolston had been squatting in the gap between the front driver’s side door and the seat shining his flashlight on the floorboards. "That's weird," he said quietly.

"What?" McDiffey asked, looking through the car at him from where he squatted on the opposite side.

"There's no glass on the floorboard or the seat. The window should have sprayed all over this spot." Jolston turned to the door and reached for the window handle. He pushed on it and there was a grinding noise before part of the glass window started to poke from the slit in the door. "Okay, no way that should be like that." Jolston looked over at the controls for the air-conditioning and confirmed they were on full blast.

"Who would roll down the window on a night as hot as that one was and leave the air conditioner going?" he mused.

McDiffey shrugged, "A smoker?"

Jolston pulled open the ashtray. It was clean and there was no smell of cigarettes in the car. He frowned, "I don’t think the kid or the dad smokes. We’d be able to tell. It doesn't make sense." Jolston wrote down a note on the pad on the concrete floor at his feet. He looked back into the car and ran his fingers over the steering wheel. It was dusted with powder that coated the fingers of his blue gloves. "Do you remember if they found prints?" he asked.

"The dad's. I think they got a thumb partial from the kid," McDiffey answered as he rifled through the glove box.

"Why only one partial if he was driving? Especially if he was a new driver, you would think he'd have put his hands on 10 and 2 and left them there."

McDiffey was frowning now, "That doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?" The case had always seemed a bit off and now it seemed like their questions were only mounting. They continued to look over every square inch of the car trying to find some evidence that would let them put together a concrete story of the night Daniel Kendricks had supposedly stolen it.

Finally at 2:00 pm they took a break for lunch. The garage was air conditioned but it was one of the hottest days of the year so far and it had still been warm. They ordered in some subs and sat down at their desks with considerable relief in the much cooler precinct. Chewing absentmindedly on his sub McDiffey was looking over the crime scene photographs spread across his desk. The pictures of the paramedics working on the kid were just sad. They had seen him in the hospital bed when they spoke to him but somehow seeing that small form lying amid the bloodstained leaves bothered him more than it should.

"You look a bit intense there, McDiffey," Jolston said. He took a drink of his soda.

McDiffey shrugged and put down his sandwich. "I've got a son a few years younger than this kid but to look at them they could be the same age. It's just hard to keep my perspective in this case. I don't understand the father at all."

"Do you need to be taken off the case?" Jolston asked with a frown. He was a new guy on this force and lacked a lot of actual experience but he knew the regulations. "You don't want this guy to get off if we can find some dirt on him just because you were too emotional. If you are we can get someone else to cover it."

"No, I'm fine," McDiffey said. "I just..." He trailed off, suddenly picking up a picture and squinting at it.

Jolston looked up from his sandwich with his drink poised beside his mouth, "You what?" He cocked his head when he saw McDiffey holding up the picture, "You got something there?" he asked eagerly.

"I don't know. Maybe.” He looked up, frowning, “Did you notice what gear the car was in out there in the garage?"

Jolston frowned, "Neutral. The tow truck driver would have had to take it out of gear in order to tow it."

"Then why is the car already in neutral in this picture?" McDiffey asked excitedly. He went on quickly, "You can still see the kid's foot here, he hadn't even been moved off the scene yet so no one has touched the car."

"So..." Jolston prompted him.

"So the kid wasn't 'driving' this car. That means it was in neutral and rolled down the hill. I bet if you check the reports you won't find any skid marks on the road near that spot or coming down the curves of that hill behind it. No skid marks because no one tried to use the brakes."

"That means..." Jolston's eyes were wide.

"Someone tried to kill the kid," McDiffey said grimly. He reached for the phone and started the chain of calls necessary to bring in Alan Kendricks and protect Dane.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

The hotel Mr. Echels had reserved for the boys had two queen size beds. Tap acted disappointed but Dane just scoffed at his leering act. They took turns showering and getting dressed after the games ended for the day. In tan shorts and button up dress shirts they both looked clean cut, though the casts on Dane’s arm and leg were glaringly obvious. Putting on shoes they headed out to the restaurant Dane picked. He called down to the front desk while Tap was washing off the dust of the infield and gotten a recommendation of a good place close by.

"You guys played some great games today, Tap," Dane said as he took a bite of his steak.

"Thanks,” he said, “Though today was the easy day. The teams left are really good; their season records are almost as good as ours. I think we'll win though. If Dave and Chris keep playing and our outfield can field those solid hits we shouldn’t have too many problems." Tap took a sip of his strawberry lemonade. He sucked up a bit of strawberry in the straw and popped it in his mouth with a happy hum that made Dane smile and laugh.

"What?" With his eyebrow raised in mock indignation Tap said archly, "I like my strawberries."

Dane blushed a little and stirred around his steamed vegetables. He put a baby carrot in his mouth and chewed slowly as he look up through the fringe of his hair at Tap. His cheeks were pink with his embarrassment but he sat there and flirted with his eyes. He understood why Tap wanted to wait until he was better to have their first time but Dane was starting to feel the ache from being thwarted in his desires. He wanted Tap. He knew flirting wouldn’t work though. He sighed and took a few more bites before pushing his plate away.

"All done?" Tap asked. He had finished his steak and baked potato a bit earlier and had been nibbling on the bread rolls the waiter had put on the table before the meal came.

Dane nodded. "Do you want dessert?" he asked.

Tap tilted his head a bit as he considered but ended up shaking his head. "I have to be able to play tomorrow and I don't want to eat anything too heavy and sugary tonight."

Dane giggled, "Not too heavy? You downed a 12 oz. steak in no time flat. How is that not heavy?"

Tap ran a finger down his tanned bicep just covered with his shirt sleeve. "Well that was protein. I need that for my muscles. I can always use more protein," he said in a sultry voice.

"You..." Dane's mouth dropped open. He shook his head and closed his eyes. Squirming a little in his side of the small booth he kept his eyes shut and said, "You are such a tease," in a strained voice.

Tap burst out laughing. Dane opened his eyes and frowned at Tap he shook his head and growled a bit, "You just enjoy winding me up!" he accused. At least the irritation was helping dampen his arousal.

"Sure I do," Tap said. He leaned forward, "Do you have any idea what your eyes look like when you want me?" he whispered.

"Oh god," Dane whimpered, "maybe we should get you your own room." He stared at Tap with eyes gone liquid.

"Oh no. I'm staying with you all night. In the same bed," Tap said as he leaned forward. Dane groaned at the image that comment brought to mind. Tap sat back up abruptly as the waiter came back to check if they wanted dessert. When they said no he pulled out the bill folder and placed it on the table. Dane pulled his wallet out and put his new credit card in the folder and handed it back.

"Let's go straight back to the hotel," Dane suggested as the waiter walked off to ring up their totals. He was looking at Tap with want in his eyes. Tap shook his head; it was his own fault for winding him up though.

"To sleep," Tap warned Dane. "In our pajama pants."

Dane pouted. "Aww, that's no fun."

"I have some important games to play in tomorrow, remember?" Tap looked at Dane's slender arm encased in a green cast, "and you need to heal. You need a lot of rest."

"Alright,” Dane said, giving up, “How about we watch a movie?" He knew Tap was not going to budge. But maybe he could be nudged. "Can we at least snuggle?"

Tap smiled. "Oh yeah. I'm going to snuggle your brains out,” he said in a comic tone.

Both boys were laughing when the waiter brought the credit slip back to Dane. After signing it he tucked his card back in his wallet and with Tap's help got out of the booth. They continued to laugh and joke on the way back to the hotel. Dane protested after Tap began to tease him again and threatened to kick valuable parts of Tap's anatomy if he didn't stop.

They were back in the hotel room at that point and Tap raised his hands up in defeat. "I give, I give." Dane glared at him. Tap looked confused for a moment and then suddenly burst out in a big laugh. "I mean, I'll stop. I promise," he choked out when he saw Dane's mouth tighten. "I didn't mean it like that, really."

Dane shook his head. He limped over to his suitcase and took out his pajamas. "I'm going to get ready for bed." When he came out Tap was already under the covers in the bed directly in front of the TV. He had grabbed the pillows from the other bed, piling them up against the headboard. He had the remote and was surfing the local channels trying to find a movie.

"Do they have pay-per-view here?" Dane asked. "I've been wanting to see that new sci-fi one with the aliens in it."

"I don't know. I haven't gotten that far yet. Let me check." Tap flicked through the channels faster. "Yep it looks like they do. Do you want me to order it?"

"Yeah, that sounds good." Dane said before he gave a breath of relief as he settled in among all the extra pillows Tap had left for his arm and leg. They ached still and would for a while. He had spent most of the day in a camp chair just watching Tap play in the Districts games but that was more than enough. Tap lifted an arm up and Dane snuggled into his chest to watch the movie

** ** ** ** ** ** **

The deputies pulled the address to Dane's apartment from his restraining order against his father and were on their way over to his place when they got the call that no one was answering the door at Alan Kendricks and the car didn't appear to be in the driveway. They had another car sent over there as soon as they put their report together and got it to the sheriff,

"Damn it!" Deputy Jolston walked back to the squad car scowling in frustration. He had knocked for several minutes on the locked door to Dane's apartment. "I don't think anyone is here," he said. "What about that kid, his friend? His number is in the file isn't it? Maybe he knows where Daniel is."

"Yeah, good idea." Deputy McDiffey pulled out his phone and after rifling through some of the pages found the Leeran's number. He dialed and waited while it rang several times.

"Hello, this is Deputy McDiffey. I am looking for Patrick Leeran, is he available?" There was a moment's silence. "Thank you."

"Yes, Mr. Leeran. This is Deputy McDiffey. No, no sir, as far as we know your son is just fine. I was actually hoping to speak with him. We are trying to locate Daniel Kendricks." The deputy listened for a minute and his body relaxed out of its tight posture.

"Oh, I see. That's good news." Another pause, "I'm sorry sir, I can't discuss the details of our investigation with you. When your son and Daniel return will you please direct him to come to the police station right away? Yes. Thank you, sir. Goodbye." McDiffey shut the phone and looked over at Jolston who had been listening to the side of the conversation he could hear.

"The kids are out of town?" he asked.

"Yes, turns out the baseball team is playing out of town this weekend for Districts. Daniel went with them and won’t be home until tomorrow evening." McDiffey put the car in gear and headed back for the station. "I think we should put out an APB on Alan Kendricks and then head home. There isn't much more we can do at the moment and it looks like our day off for tomorrow is going to be canceled."

** ** ** ** ** ** **

He watched the deputies that had arrested him check his son's apartment. That worried him slightly. They obviously thought they needed to check up on the little fag and that could cause some problems for him tomorrow. Alan had been parked down the street and around a corner from his son's apartment for a good portion of the evening just in case he came home early. Alan wouldn't let this go on any longer. The shame of having someone like Daniel for a son, a weakling and a nancy boy galled him. He was a disgrace to the Kendrick name and Alan would not let him continue to smear it any longer.

He waited for a good half hour after the police drove away to start his car and turn around. He resisted the urge to drive in front of Dane's apartment and left without getting too close. He stopped at the grocery store, picked up some take-out, and then headed home. He was cautious, driving past the road that led to his house first so he could check for police cars.

"Damn it!" he cussed when he saw one parked across the street from his house. His hands clenched the steering wheel. He couldn't risk driving around and he couldn't park his car somewhere close by and sneak in case it was spotted. He continued driving north until he reached the outskirts of town. Pulling off the paved road onto a one lane gravel road he followed it past several farm houses until he came to a wide turn out in the road that was screened by a large bank. He backed his car in the small hollow and rolled down the windows before turning the engine off.

Hot humid air filled the car and he frowned in disgust. With the air conditioning off he was already sweating. There was nothing he could do about it though so he unwrapped the plastic fork and started eating his dinner and thought about his revenge. The police were a complication but Alan knew things they didn't. He would take care of his fairy son and his friend and then this whole thing would be behind him. He would get control over the money his wife should have left to him and he could go back to work.

'Maybe I will move and start my own firm,' Alan thought. He chewed absently as he thought it out. He grew more and more excited about his new plan. His mother would be happier somewhere else and he would have the money for her to live somewhere worthy of all of the sacrifices she had made for him over the years. She deserved it; he deserved it.

Taking a drink of the rapidly warming beer he had bought at the store Alan grinned. His face twisted and there was glee in his eyes when he thought of the pleasure he was going to get killing his son. One more day and the world would be back to the way it was supposed to be.

Copyright © 2011 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 3
  • Wow 3
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"Do they have pay-per-view here?" Dane asked. "I've been wanting to see that new sci-fi one with the aliens in it."

 

 

 

LOL, Curt's dad is a PPV junkie. I've spent many a Sat nite there with our own popcorn. Beats paying 10 bucks at the movie theater.

 

 

Anyways, loved this chapter with all the CSI and Law & Order stuff. Too bad it wasn't an unmarked car parked across from A-hole dad's house; then they could have locked up his sorry butt.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/09/2011 06:52 AM, TrevorTime said:
"Do they have pay-per-view here?" Dane asked. "I've been wanting to see that new sci-fi one with the aliens in it."

 

 

 

LOL, Curt's dad is a PPV junkie. I've spent many a Sat nite there with our own popcorn. Beats paying 10 bucks at the movie theater.

 

 

Anyways, loved this chapter with all the CSI and Law & Order stuff. Too bad it wasn't an unmarked car parked across from A-hole dad's house; then they could have locked up his sorry butt.

Small towns with sherrifs don't usually have unmarked cars. We didn't have any in our county for a long long time so I never think of them when I write small town. Besides, if he was caught now what else would I use for the rest of the story? :P Andy kicked me around a bit on my timeline for the court cases but I tried to keep the action/cop stuff as realistic as I could get it. Thanks for continuing to review as you read. It's been fun getting your comments the last few days!!
Link to comment

It's great that the police finally figured it out. Better late than never. Dane's father is so irrational right now that it is a wonder he hasn't already been apprehended. Let's hope he screws up big time. What a guy Tap is. he doesn't give in to temptation because of how much he cares for Dane. He is definitely a keeper!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/01/2015 11:24 AM, Headstall said:
It's great that the police finally figured it out. Better late than never. Dane's father is so irrational right now that it is a wonder he hasn't already been apprehended. Let's hope he screws up big time. What a guy Tap is. he doesn't give in to temptation because of how much he cares for Dane. He is definitely a keeper!
Alan is definitely irrational, to say the least. Things are really coming to a head in this chapter.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..