Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 3,462 Words
  • 8,021 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Escaping the Pain - 18. Chapter 18

A serious talk.
Charlie moved quickly into the living room and noticed the jackets that lay over the arm of the couch. He silently moved to the bathroom and nudged the door the rest of the way open. The shower curtain was open and there were clothes strewn on the floor. The door to the spare bedroom was open and the room empty but the door to Dane's bedroom was shut. Charlie slowly turned the handle and then pushed the door open quickly.

The small room was lit by the light shining in from one of the outside lights. Both windows in the room were open allowing a warm breeze to flow through the room. Dane lay on his side with a body pillow supporting his arm and leg casts. Curled around him with one arm around his chest and the other pillowing Dane's head Tap was sleeping. His face remained slack and peaceful but the instant the door had opened Dane had jolted awake and was now staring at Charlie with a frightened look on his face.

Charlie took a step into the room and Dane stiffened. That roused Tap instantly and he picked his head up; looking around to see what had disturbed them.

"What's the matter?" Tap saw Charlie and then looked down at Dane who was shaking slightly.

"Nothing. Just bad memories. It's okay. What's up Charlie?" Dane asked in a voice still blurred by sleep. Tap stroked the hair out of Dane's face in a soothing gesture.

"I just got here. I saw Tap's car but when you guys didn't answer I got a bit worried."

"Worried? About what?" Tap asked.

"Oh, uh, nothing really. It's just my job to take care of Dane and make sure he doesn't overdo or hurt himself as he heals." Charlie rubbed his hands together. "That reminds me. We needed to talk about this weekend."

Dane struggled to sit up and Tap helped him, propping him up against some pillows and the headboard, "What about this weekend?"

"Tap mentioned that he wanted you to go to Districts with him this weekend. If you guys are going to be gone overnight on Saturday I will take advantage and meet up with Susan this weekend."

"Susan?" Tap cocked his head at Charlie.

"My girlfriend. I do have a life you know. I just like my work so I don't mind the long hours off and on. She understands." Charlie said. Tap was busy looking at him so he didn't see the look Dane was giving him but Charlie did. "Uh, I think I'm going to go get something to eat. It's about 10:30 Tap, you might want to call your folks if you are going to be much later." Charlie shut the door behind him as he left but stood outside the door, listening with an amused smile. Tap was going to learn a very hard lesson right then.

Tap looked over at the alarm clock. "Oh man, I didn't mean to fall asleep." He sat on the edge of the bed and bent over to pick up his shoes.

"Oh no you don't. You were making plans for me for this weekend without asking me? Just up and decided what I was going to do?" Dane was looking at Tap with his arms crossed over his chest, one hand cradling the cast.

"Uh, um... I thought you'd want to go," Tap looked hurt, "you don't want to come cheer for us?"

"Well of course I would want to support your team but that's not the point. I know I'm hurt right now and I've needed your help a lot since we met but I'm not a child! You can't just order my life without me!" Dane said sharply.

Tap blinked.

"Stop listening at the door Charlie, I can hear you snickering!" Dane snapped.

Charlie moved away from the door but couldn’t stop laughing. Lover’s quarrels were always funny to the people not stuck in them. Tap came out of the bedroom 15 minutes later with his face on fire and a chastened look.

"Do I still have Saturday free?" Charlie asked with a smile.

"Yes," Dane's answer came floating down the hall from the bedroom.

"I still remember the first time I did that to Susan," Charlie whispered. "The riot act she read me wasn't any fun but making it up to her sure was." He winked at Tap who grinned.

"Yeah, I bet!" Tap grabbed his jacket.

"Anyway, did you guys work out the details?" Charlie asked.

"Yeah, I'll be over to pick Dane up around 6. First game is at 10 and Coach is letting me drive us but I can't be late."

"I was thinking about getting one of those full length cushioned chairs that fold up so that Dane could be comfortable without having to take the wheelchair. Do you think it would fit in your car?"

"Oh yeah, no problem. I'll bring Dane home after practice tomorrow and we can talk about what he might need. See you later Charlie," Tap waved as he walked out.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

Alan shifted. Another shrub was poking him in the neck and the sounds of him moving it away were barely heard over the sound of the wind. He sat there drenched in sweat but waiting patiently for the Leeran kid to leave. It wouldn't do to sneak around the edge of the apartment building right when he came out of the apartment even if it was dark.

Alan thought over what he overheard. He had to restrain his urge to grab his wimpy little son right now from the bed right against the other side of the wall he leaned against but there was that other guy in the living room. If he could be patient he could get both of the little fags. Soon.

Creeping out of the bushes Alan hurried to his car, making sure to stay out of the streetlights. He had plans to make and things to get done. His eyes were burning as he muttered under his breath. He started up his car and cranked the air conditioner before driving home to get started.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

Tap got home to find his parents waiting up for him. "Uh... hi Mom, Dad. I know I'm late, I'm sorry. Dane and I fell asleep and Charlie was late getting there."

"Sit down son; we wanted to talk to you about that actually." Patrick gestured for Tap to sit in the recliner. Tap swallowed hard but sat down carefully facing his parents.

"Okay, so what exactly do you want to talk about?"

Keri started, "We know Dane is a good kid, even with how hard his life has been. He has a good head on his shoulders and seems very mature, like you."

Patrick interrupted, "But you guys are teenage boys, with teenage boy hormones."

"Oh god, is this the sex talk? We had the sex talk when I was 10 Dad. We had it again after I came out to you guys." Tap sat stiffly, mortified. His face was flushed as he avoided looking at his mom.

"This isn't really the 'sex talk' so much as us trying to make sure that no one is taking advantage of the situation," Keri tried to explain. "Dane has his own apartment and with you helping him and Charlie not being there all the time there are a lot of opportunities for things to get out of hand."

"Taking advantage?" Tap was frowning.

"What your mother is trying to say is that you are a senior in high school, you've a commitment to your team to be focused on baseball, especially since you need that scholarship for college. Getting into a physical relationship at your age just isn’t a good idea."

Tap stood up, "So wait, are you really concerned about my ability to focus on baseball or do you mean when you say 'taking advantage' you think while I am helping Dane I would pressure him into something he and I aren't really ready for just because I'm horny? I can't believe you guys! I would never hurt Dane!" Tap was yelling with his hands fisted at his sides.

Patrick stood up, "That's enough. You don't raise your voice to us Patrick. Sit down, now."

Tap stood there for another moment, breathing hard. His jaw clenched he sat down on the very edge of the chair and he glared at his parents. "You don't know me very well if you think that I would do anything like what you are suggesting."

"I don't think we are saying this right. It's just..." Keri paused, rubbing her hands on her pants, "it's just, we can see how close you two are. Dane has just lost his mother and his father. A lot of things have happened to him recently as you two became friends. My concern is that he sees you as the only person who really cares for him and that he wouldn't be able to say no to you, no matter what was asked."

"We never meant to imply that you would take advantage of him for sex." Patrick said. "I'm sorry if it sounded that way. We're just concerned about how your relationship is going and the emotional impact. Dane has to focus on his future now too."

Tap took a deep breath and tried to calm down. His parents still saw him as a child and while he knew he had a long way to go before he was fully an adult he wasn't as immature and irresponsible as they thought. He just had to prove that to them.

"I probably took what you were saying badly too. I guess it just sort of felt like an ambush with both of you waiting for me this late. Look, I can sort of see what you are saying. But Dane even told me that he wasn't sure of how he felt when I first told him I liked him and that he wanted to have some time to figure things out. We're friends first, good friends, even though I haven't known him for very long."

Tap sat back, "We're boyfriends now and I really like him. I won't lie and say we haven't done stuff," Tap blushed, "but we aren't having sex and not just because he's hurt. It's not the right time for it, you're right about that. Not for me and certainly not for him."

Keri and Patrick looked at each other, surprised at the calm way Tap was discussing this, "Well son, it seems like you are acting pretty mature." Keri said.

"We're trying to." Tap said. "I really like him, Mom, a lot. He's exactly what I would want in a partner. We've already talked about going to the same college and started working on that. I've introduced him to some of my friends, trying to get him to lose some of his shyness and insecurity but it's slow. I don't want to push him too hard."

"Look, we aren't adults yet, we know that. But I will be away from home at college soon. It’s time for me to grow up but I can’t do that if you guys don’t let me. I need you to trust that I can make the right decisions."

Tap's parents looked at him with pride. Patrick stood up, "Come here son." He hugged Tap while Keri sat with a sad look on her face. Tap looked over at her.

"What's wrong Mom?"

"I just realized my baby was really going to be gone soon." Keri wiped her eyes before the tears escaped, "You're not really my baby anymore."

"And isn't that a good thing? I think seeing someone my size in a diaper and a bib would make people die laughing," Tap joked even as he bent down and gave her a tender hug. "I love you."

"I love you too." Keri smiled at him, "Alright, 6 am comes early. Why don't you head up to bed."

"Okay Mom. Good night Dad. I love you."

"Love you too son." Patrick sat back down next to Keri as Tap went upstairs.

"We have a good boy there," Keri said as she snuggled up to her husband.

"Good man almost. He's changed since he met Dane, definitely for the better, not that he wasn't a good kid before. He's just not so much of a kid anymore." Patrick hugged his wife and stroked her hair. "I can remember him as rowdy 5 year old anxious for his first day of t-ball and now he's going to be going to college on a baseball scholarship along with his boyfriend."

Keri smiled, "It makes me feel old."

Patrick looked down at his beautiful wife, "You will never be old." He bent down and kissed her softly, tenderly. She could feel his love in the soft touch of his lips and the gentle touch of his hand on her cheek.

"Let's go to bed." she whispered.

** ** ** ** ** ** **

Dane used his new cell phone to call Mr. Echels the next day while he waited for Tap to get out of practice. They spoke a bit more in depth about Dane’s money situation and his plans. He was quite happy to hear that Dane had plans to go to college and set up a time for Dane to come to his office the next week to arrange for them to go over the fees and requirements for State. Dane still had cash from Tap's shopping trip with Neri to get the stuff for the apartment but he wasn't really comfortable walking around with the kind of money he would need while out of town that weekend for Districts.

"I'll set up a credit card account that the bank can transfer a set amount of funds to each month so that you can have money available. A courier can bring the card over on Friday. I'll also call and arrange for the payment for the hotel the baseball team will be staying since you are underage," Mr. Echels said.

"Thank you." Dane was relieved it was that easy. He had never had access to money that easily before; it was quite a change for him.

"I was wondering if you had thought about getting a car?" asked Mr. Echels. "We could arrange for you to get one if you would like."

"I don't know. I barely passed drivers ed. I haven't driven since I was 15," Dane flushed as he thought about the accident, "well, that I can remember. I..."

"How about if I arranged for some lessons? Would that make you feel better?"

Dane considered that, "That might work," he said slowly.

"Do you know what kind of a car you would like to get? I could authorize about $15,000."

Dane frowned, "I don't know anything about cars."

"Maybe that friend who was at the hospital? If he isn't mechanically inclined perhaps Charlie might be able to help you. He likes cars."

"He does?" asked Dane. "He's never said anything about that sort of thing."

"Oh, uh." Mr. Echels sounded uncertain, "Well I'm sure he could help you anyway."

"Hey Dane, I'm done." Tap slid a hand over Dane's shoulder and squeezed.

"Oh, hi. Hold on," Dane said to Tap. Tap pulled out a chair and sat next to Dane.

"I'll ask them and get back to you when we talk next week about college, is that okay?" Tap was fiddling with the straps of Dane's backpack while Dane loaded up his books with his good hand, holding the phone on his shoulder.

"That will be fine. Have a good evening."

"You too, Mr. Echels. Thank you." Dane hung up and turned to Tap. "I'm hungry, want to go pick up some drive thru?"

"Like you even have to ask! Why don't you call Charlie and see if he wants anything?" Tap suggested.

"Good idea."

** ** ** ** ** ** **

The rest of the week flew by. Dane got the debit card from a courier on Friday evening and checked the balance. His eyes were huge when he found out that there was $2500. The paperwork Mr. Echels sent over said that he would add $600 a month for groceries and incidentals. Tap was shocked too.

"Hmm, so are you going to treat me to a fancy celebratory dinner after we win then?" Tap asked before he kissed Dane.

"Mmm, mmhmm." Dane's eyes were soft when Tap pulled back, "I would love to." He moved forward, pulling Tap down into another kiss, this one more eager. He buried one hand in Tap’s soft hear and made a fist as they kissed passionately.

This time Dane was the one who pulled back. He buried his face into the dip between Tap's neck and shoulder. Tap's arms wrapped around him. They sat for a minute just breathing. Tap thought about what his parents had said on Tuesday.

"Hey Dane? You know that you don't have to take me to dinner right? I was only teasing. I'm not with you for your money or anything like that."

Dane sat up; he looked surprised. "I know you aren't. You told me you wanted to be with me before we knew I had any money remember? I want to take you out even if you don't win. It would be nice to go on a romantic date," Dane said shyly.

Tap smiled, he liked the idea. "I think it would be nice too," he said as he stroke Dane's face. "I just need you to understand that you can always tell me no. No matter what it is, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do."

Dane frowned, "I know. It's what I want to do."

Tap leaned forward and kissed him to smooth away the frown, "Then that's what we'll do."

** ** ** ** ** ** **

"It has been one hell of a week." Deputy Jolston sat down in his desk chair heavily. His wide shoulders were slumped. "Gods, who knew teenagers could run that successful of a chop shop?"

Deputy McDiffey shook his head, "I still don't think they were the ones in charge. It was too professional. Plus how did they meet the parts buyer? You know they weren't moving that amount of product here."

"True." Jolston picked up his coffee mug, "Did you talk to the Captain?" he asked.

"Yeah. They're going to try to flip one of them on the others and get more details. I'm just glad I'm not in on that chore."

"Instead we get to crawl around a busted up car. Is the Kendrick's car in the garage?" Jolston looked at the bottom of his coffee mug, swirling the last swallow before drinking it.

"I called impound earlier, it's been there since they dropped it off. No one's touched it." McDiffey was putting the open case files in his drawer and clearing off his desk.

"Alright, first thing tomorrow? I'm ready to head home and relax tonight. It’s Friday, I should be going out, not getting to bed early so I can come back here to crawl around in a car on my Saturday. I hate working weekends."

"I don't like it either but at least we'll have Monday and Tuesday off next week." McDiffey picked up his cup and drank the last of his coffee, wiping the liquid off his mustache. "Let's go."

** ** ** ** ** ** **

"Well look who came by finally. Trying to forget about your dear old mother?" Alan's mother was glaring at him. "Where have you been hiding all week? It's not like you’re working. What could you possibly be wasting your time doing?"

"I was busy Mother. Not everything is as simple as you think. I'll be going back to work soon and I had to line up a few things. Don't worry, you'll be pleased soon. I'll get you out of this place and into a nice condo."

"Finally. Took you long enough!" Mrs. Kendricks sniffed, wiping her nose with a tissue, "That horrible woman you married kept you from doing your proper duty to me long enough."

"I know Mother. Her son won't stand in the way of what's mine by right much longer."

"About time you take care of that little poof. He's a disgrace on this family. Be a man," she glared at him, "and make damn sure you don't screw it up this time."

Alan smiled and his eyes gleamed, "Oh I won't. I'm going to make sure things are done properly this time."

Copyright © 2011 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"What your mother is trying to say is that you are a senior in high school, you've a commitment to your team to be focused on baseball."

 

 

LOL, I got the exact same "lecture" from my mom, except I was a soph and my sport was swimming. But swimming was everything to me, being gay was just a side gig.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/09/2011 04:31 AM, TrevorTime said:
"What your mother is trying to say is that you are a senior in high school, you've a commitment to your team to be focused on baseball."

 

 

LOL, I got the exact same "lecture" from my mom, except I was a soph and my sport was swimming. But swimming was everything to me, being gay was just a side gig.

I think a lot of teenagers get that sort of advice, especially if it looks like their relationship is serious. I was 16 when I got together with Josh though so I'm a firm believer that young teens can make it if they really want to find the balance between life and love, no matter what the gender the couples are.
Link to comment

I can understand Tap's parents but Dane's grandmother my god no his father is such a bastard. But then they are two peas in a pod.

Link to comment

Good on Dane for setting Tap straight about making decisions for him. It shows that he is getting stronger and more confident...I am starting to think that Charlie is part nursemaid and part bodyguard...Grandma is just plain vile...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/01/2015 10:13 AM, Headstall said:
Good on Dane for setting Tap straight about making decisions for him. It shows that he is getting stronger and more confident...I am starting to think that Charlie is part nursemaid and part bodyguard...Grandma is just plain vile...
I didn't want Dane to be a weak character, so it was very important he show growth in taking control of his life. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/01/2015 10:13 AM, Headstall said:
Good on Dane for setting Tap straight about making decisions for him. It shows that he is getting stronger and more confident...I am starting to think that Charlie is part nursemaid and part bodyguard...Grandma is just plain vile...
I didn't want Dane to be a weak character, so it was very important he show growth in taking control of his life. :)
Link to comment

Really hate parents who meddle in their kids love lives like that, it's none of their damn business and they're more than old enough to decide for themselves how physical they want their relationship to be. Tap almost made Dane second guess their relationship because his parents made him feel insecure about his feelings for Dane 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..