Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,181 Words
  • 2,195 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bomb - 1. Chapter 1

War is hell. No truer words have ever been spoken. The radio was keeping tabs on the war, so far we’ve been out of it. I sensed that was about to change.

The city where I live is a prime target on the coast and easy to hit. I wasn’t prepared, and there weren’t any shelters in my building, so I had only one option, I would have to leave.

Four months ago, I shopped for an RV. I had submitted some design changes, the dealer called and said my RV was ready. My changes included solar panels on the roof and an additional gas generator. I also bought a trailer, more on the design of a van, to attach to the RV. I equipped the van with cupboards, freezers, and solar panels. I filled the cupboards with can food and packaged food that didn’t require refrigeration. In the freezers, I stored smoked meats and frozen juice. I was ready to move on.

Closing out my bank accounts, I planned on heading for the northern mountains. I wasn’t sure if I would be safe there, but I knew it would be safer than staying in the city.

I planned my route north, carefully avoiding all of the big cities. My route required me to travel along the city’s western border, heading north and then west before heading north again into Canada. Just as I hit the outskirts, the radio news reported that an Armada was forming off the coast. I knew I only had minutes. As I turn toward the west, I saw a group of people standing alongside the road. I stopped and rolled down my window, “What’s happening?”

“We’re waiting for the bus. It’s heading north towards Maine. It should be here shortly. What’s the news?”

“It’s only a matter of time. There’s an enemy armada forming just off the coast. If your bus doesn’t get here soon, I’d start walking.”

Someone yelled, “There’s the bus now.”

A few of the men stood on the road, blocking it, so the bus will have to stop. As soon as it did, they forced the door open and climbed in. I watch as the bus drove away. I was ready to move on when I saw a small boy coming out behind some trees.

He looked at the back of the bus as it left and started to cry. I wound down my window, “Why are you crying?”

“I was supposed to catch that bus. My parents are sending me to my grandparents for my safety.”

“Well, you missed the bus. So climb aboard, and I’ll see what I can do to catch up to the bus.”

I opened the door, he climbed in, and we were on our way. He told me about his grandparents, they lived on the farm in North Dakota. It would take quite a long ride to get there. His mother had packed some food for him, but he forgot it when he ran for the bus.

“What’s your name?”

“My name is Jonathan, but my friends call me Jon.”

“Okay, Jon, if you’re hungry, there are sandwiches in the refrigerator. Help yourself, and there’s a carton of milk.”

He smiled as he went and got a sandwich and a carton of milk. I turned on the radio wanting to find out the latest news. Normal stations were nothing but static. I knew something happened. I dial around until I got an unknown station. It seemed the Armada attacked the city, which now laid in ruins. The US navy sunk the Armada, but not before they hit the city.

The boys started to cry, “Do you think my parents are okay?”

“I don’t know. It’ll depend if they got out in time.” What I heard on the radio, even if they made it to the city border, they would be dead. The air would be contaminated, and if the bomb blast didn’t get them, the air would. I felt sorry for the lad.

“Do you know where your grandparents live?”

“They live in North Dakota. I have their address in my bag.”

“That’s far enough North, so they should be okay.”

There were a few sniffles as we drove northwesterly. I took a route south of Detroit, staying away from Lake Erie, which led to my second passenger. Just south of Detroit, a young man was hitchhiking.

“Jon, should we stop and pick that boy up?”

“Yes, he’s probably trying to get away from Detroit.”

I stopped, “Where are you heading?"

I’m heading west, the East Coast is getting hit hard, and it’ll only be a matter of time before they start picking off the big cities. I’m sure Detroit is on their list.

“What about your parents?”

“Dad is in the army, and my mom died several years ago. Dad told me to forget the east coast, so I was to head west. The problem was he didn’t have enough money to give me. So I thought I take my chance and hitchhike a ride.”

“We’re going as far west as North Dakota where this young man is going. Then I’m heading north into Canada, heading into the Arctic region, at least as far as I can go. I can take you as far west as North Dakota.”

“Okay, that’s a start.”

‘Jon, open the door for him.” I heard Jon ask him his name, he said it was Oliver, but his friends called him Ollie

My route would take us south of Chicago, and then I would be driving north and head towards the Dakotas.

I drove until it was getting late. I covered quite a few miles. I stopped at the first gas station, which was open, refilled my gas tank, and checked if they had any food. I was concerned with the extra boys I might need more food, at least until we got to North Dakota. I paid for the gas and bought some fruit and soda for the boys. Where can we spend the night was my next question.

It was Jon who spotted the sign. I pulled into a spot where it would be quiet from the noise of the road. “I have a big bed in the back, where you two can share, I’ll convert the sofa into a bed for me.” I was glad that this coach was designed for my comfort. I’m not sure that one of those ‘off-the-shelf’ units would have worked.

Sleep came easy for me, but I heard a few sobs from the back. I guess it was Jon.

Morning came, and we had to line up for the bathroom. Showered, I was ready to move on, but I had a few things to do. I pulled the RV to the dumpsite and emptied the waste tank since I wasn’t sure when I’d have the opportunity to do it again. Cereal again for breakfast and juice, the boys asked if they could have a cup of coffee, so we shared a pot of coffee, and then we hit the road again.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 8
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey, CJ, I’m not that good on writing comments to every chapter, I admit, though, I automatically follow your stories: you have a way to make your characters lovable, yet that I’m always compelled to follow your stories. I had just ordered lunch in an eatery close to my home when I started reading this chapter. CJ, I had to stop reading when Jon appeared, I was so close to tears... and I didn’t want to explain anything to the very nice people working there. 
Keep the good work coming, I’ll be there to read and cherish it. 
JA

  • Like 2
Link to comment

In the 90's There was a popular overnight radio show called The Art Bell show he always had topics and scenario's like you describe in this story.never get too a false sense of security it can happen.BTW we got Jon and Ollie's name but not the main character we'll find out I guess

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, JACC said:

Hey, CJ, I’m not that good on writing comments to every chapter, I admit, though, I automatically follow your stories: you have a way to make your characters lovable, yet that I’m always compelled to follow your stories. I had just ordered lunch in an eatery close to my home when I started reading this chapter. CJ, I had to stop reading when Jon appeared, I was so close to tears... and I didn’t want to explain anything to the very nice people working there. 
Keep the good work coming, I’ll be there to read and cherish it. 
JA

Thank you, I. hope you had a nice meal.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

In the 90's There was a popular overnight radio show called The Art Bell show he always had topics and scenario's like you describe in this story.never get too a false sense of security it can happen.BTW we got Jon and Ollie's name but not the main character we'll find out I guess

Maybe or maybe not. Action is more important than names, right

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, James B. said:

This story captured my interest right away. Great job.

Thanks, the key is 'will it hold your interest'

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I wouldn't have picked an RV for an escape vehicle. They are too cumbersome, don't navigate rougher roads, and are gas hogs. It'll also be an attractive target when or if things get worse. You want to keep a low profile in a crisis. However, this choice is the spine of the story so I'll leave these thoughts behind.

Our protagonist is quickly getting a crew for his land ship. So far things are going well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This is scary. Scary and interesting.

New Zealand is too small to have somewhere to "get away" from the coast/s. Especially where I live, in Auckland :)

Could get scarier on the road depending on how desperate the situation becomes. Seems all good for now e.g. no-one fighting to get on, petrol and food still available, money still worth something, etc.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..