Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,430 Words
  • 2,136 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bomb - 2. Chapter 2

My route would take us south of Chicago, and then I would be driving north and head towards the Dakotas.

I drove until it was getting late. I covered quite a few miles. I stopped at the first gas station, which was open, refilled my gas tank, and checked if they had any food. I was concerned with the extra boys I might need more food, at least until we got to North Dakota. I paid for the gas and bought some fruit and soda for the boys. Where we can spend the night was my next question.

It was Jon who spotted the sign. I pulled into a spot where it would be quiet from the noise of the road. "I have a big bed in the back, where you two can share. I'll convert the sofa into a bed for me." I was glad that this coach was designed for my comfort. I'm not sure that one of those 'off-the-shelf' units would have worked.

Sleep came easy for me, but I heard a few sobs from the back. I guess it was Jon.

Morning came, and we had to line up for the bathroom. Showered, I was ready to move on, but I had a few things to do. I pulled the RV to the dumpsite emptied the waste tank since I wasn't sure when I'd have the opportunity to do it again. Cereal again for breakfast and juice, the boys asked if they could have a cup of coffee, so we shared a pot of coffee, and then we hit the road again.

I swung south of Chicago then headed north through Wisconsin before heading west to North Dakota, just south of the Canadian border. Just north of Chicago, we picked up my third young man. He was hitchhiking but had no bags. Jon said we should stop, so we did.

"Where are you going? We're heading to North Dakota, where are you heading?"

"Anywhere away from Chicago, I got this far last night. The guy who gave me a ride had some other ideas. He told me to get out and left with my knapsack."

Jon looked at me, I nodded. "Ollie, open the door and help him in." Jon has taken over the RV. I smiled at this young lad who had assumed to be in charge. I was okay with that, it showed independence, and he'll need a lot of that with what I presume happened to his folks.

"Jon, see if he's hungry. There are still some sandwiches in the fridge."

"Can we have one as well?" "Sure, help yourself."

My next stop was just north of Minneapolis. Again I stopped at the first gas station that was open and filled up the gas tank. I asked the boys to see if there was anything they wanted from the store. One nice thing about traveling on the interstate is that most gas stations have a small store where you can get fruit, candy, and sandwiches.

The boys came back with a bag. "We got some fruit and snack stuff.

"Okay, I'll pay for it when I pay for the gas."

"I paid for it."

I was surprised, and I guess it showed, "My mom and dad gave me some money so I could get a snack when the bus stopped."

"You should save your money, Jon."

He smiled as they got back into the van. I turned to the new boy, "I'm sorry, I don't know your name?" "My name is Paul."

Well, Paul, welcome aboard. Jon, tomorrow we'll be in North Dakota, so start looking for a place to sleep for the night."

Jon claimed the front right seat and held it as if it was his right since he was the first. The fact that he was the youngest never crossed his mind.

As he had the night before, he spied a sign indicating that there was a rest stop just ahead. I pulled in and noticed that there were quite a few truckers there as well. I found a spot that looked relatively quiet.

"There's a restaurant here, and it looks like it's open."

"Good, let's go and see if we can get a hot meal." I got out of the RV, followed by Jon. Ollie and Paul stayed in the RV. "You boys coming?"

"We don't have any money."

"Did I ask you that? Now come on and let's get ourselves a hot meal."

They got out, I locked the RV, and more or less steered them toward the front of the restaurant. "This may be your last chance of getting a hot meal, so make sure you get enough, and don't worry about the money."

As we started to walk, I heard, " No, I'm not that type of boy. I'd rather stay here and sleep in the woods than ride with you."

"Sir, we can't let him sleep in the woods."

I looked at Jon. He had tears in his eyes. "Jon, what's the matter?"

"When I was waiting for the bus, a trucker stopped and asked if I wanted a ride. He didn't look nice, he was smoking, and the truck smelled like cigarettes and beer. He said I could ride in the back of the cab. One of the men waiting for the bus told him to get out of there, or he'll call the police. The man told me what he wanted. I bet it was the same thing that that man wanted."

We walked over to the boy, a young man, probably the same age as Paul. It was Jon who spoke first.

"You don't have to sleep in the woods. Come with us. You can sleep in the RV." The other two boys nodded in agreement.

The boy looked at me, "Yes, you can join us if you want. We are headed to the restaurant, and you can join us."

The boy looked at the trucker, gave him the finger, picked up his bag, and headed toward me. I went to open the RV, put his bag in, and lock it again. Then headed to catch up with the boys. They were talking a mile a minute. I'm sure they were sharing their stories.

"Sir, this is Thomas, he said to call him Tom ."

"Well, Tom, welcome aboard. Let's see what they have to eat."

Whenever I stopped at a restaurant on the interstate, almost all have the same things. Fried chicken, french fries, two vegetables, a tossed salad, hamburgers and hot dogs.

"Okay, guys, make sure you get enough. This will probably be the last hot meal you'll get until we're in North Dakota." I watched each of the boys, adding an extra piece of chicken to Ollie and Paul's plates. When Tom saw this, he took an extra piece as well. I was last in line and paid for all of them.

The food was good. When they were all finished, they had to go to the bathroom. I went and bought a large box of fried chicken. Waiting for the boys, I heard a commotion in the men's room. The boys came out laughing.

"What was the commotion?"

"Tell him, Tom."

"I was the last one in, and that trucker came in after me. He went to grab me when Paul pushed him away. He said, excuse me, and then Ollie bumped into him. Jon stuck out his foot and tripped him as he was backing away. He was lying on the floor. Paul said we should pee on him. He got up and started to hit us; that's when Paul and Ollie punched him in the stomach. He threw up, and we ran out. There's a big mess in there now. I wouldn't want to be the person to clean that up."

We watched the manager and an employee enter the restroom. "I think we better get back to the RV."

The boys thought it was funny, but I didn't want to get into a fight. "Okay, I think that bed is big enough for the three of you. I'll sleep on the couch and you Tom can sleep on the chair, it will pull out into a bed, I'll show you. I want to get an early start tomorrow morning, so plan on it. Get your showers tonight, and you won't need a shower in the morning."

I watched as Jon followed by Ollie, then Paul, followed by Tom, I was the last. I'll need to fill the water tank as soon as possible.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Well he is certainly helping out the boys on his way, the RV will soon be full.

He will drop at least one in when they reach  the farm 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Well he is certainly helping out the boys on his way, the RV will soon be full.

I'm sure there were a lot of scary people along the way. I wonder if the bus made it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, so his troup is expanding quite rapidly, he is really quite compassionate

In times like this, I think most rationale people would be willing to assist where they could.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, JACC said:

A whole bunch of respectful kids looking out for each other: so nice!

Fear creates tolerance. Have you ever noticed when people share the same fear, they tend to bind together forgetting previous biases and grievances

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, CLJobe said:

Fear creates tolerance. Have you ever noticed when people share the same fear, they tend to bind together forgetting previous biases and grievances

Birds of a feather flock together or something like that 😁

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I think I am in the twilight zone.  I opened this chapter this morning to read it and felt I had read it yesterday.  I thought you had posted the chapter again by accident.  I went back and it was not in chapter one.  Was it posted earlier?  Maybe I am crazy.  Great read so far.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

I think I am in the twilight zone.  I opened this chapter this morning to read it and felt I had read it yesterday.  I thought you had posted the chapter again by accident.  I went back and it was not in chapter one.  Was it posted earlier?  Maybe I am crazy.  Great read so far.

What did you have to drink?  Kidding, yes I had posted it but there were some errors, so I took it off screen, and this morning I put everything back. we are now normal. Everytime I think I have this  system understood, I need to do something different on/in my post,.another learning experience for me.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, JACC said:

Birds of a feather flock together or something like that 😁

yep

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, JACC said:

A whole bunch of respectful kids looking out for each other: so nice!

Yes, they are scared but they are willing to work together. Think of the relief they must have.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Luckily he has the means to help these kids. Who in their right mind who let a kid alone with nobody in his life fend for themselves if they can help.Present day I would be able to help in the past I would not be able to and that's a horrible feeling.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Luckily he has the means to help these kids. Who in their right mind who let a kid alone with nobody in his life fend for themselves if they can help.Present day I would be able to help in the past I would not be able to and that's a horrible feeling.

In the past I would have been able to help but these days I can barely help myself but I'd sure do what I could even if it's only food.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

They have formed a cohesive group quickly. It's going to be sad if or when they start splitting up.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, James B. said:

In the past I would have been able to help but these days I can barely help myself but I'd sure do what I could even if it's only food.

And that would be more than a lot of people would. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

They have formed a cohesive group quickly. It's going to be sad if or when they start splitting up.

Yes, tragedy, loneliness, being scared, are those actions that drive people together.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, CLJobe said:

He will drop at least one in when they reach  the farm 

That's assuming Jon's grandparents are still alive. Many people forget that both Dakota's had a huge number of missile silos, not just the MM-II (MinuteMan II) that were Offensive & Defensively by design. In fact, "North Dakota holds enough nuclear power / missiles in hidden underground silos to be considered one of the most powerful places in the world". This is why the Dakota's large farms were considered both primary and secondary targets (for what potentially lay beneath the corn fields etc) along with Detroit, Chicago, etc.

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

That's assuming Jon's grandparents are still alive. Many people forget that both Dakota's had a huge number of missile silos, not just the MM-II (MinuteMan II) that were Offensive & Defensively by design. In fact, "North Dakota holds enough nuclear power / missiles in hidden underground silos to be considered one of the most powerful places in the world". This is why the Dakota's large farms were considered both primary and secondary targets (for what potentially lay beneath the corn fields etc) along with Detroit, Chicago, etc.

 

This is a fictional story, in fiction One can make anything possible even if the possible is impossible. Yes, you are right about North Dakota and its would be a primary target if we were attacked,  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/13/2020 at 1:30 AM, CLJobe said:

He will drop at least one in when they reach  the farm 

 

On 10/13/2020 at 10:47 AM, drpaladin said:

They have formed a cohesive group quickly. It's going to be sad if or when they start splitting up.

Aaawww...are we gonna lose JonJon?

But he's their Captain.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..