Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 586 Words
  • 1,721 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Expedition - 4. Chapter 4

Arriving back at the University, Mahmoud was there to meet me. I told him I thought the building was a Greek temple. “Howard, why would they build a Greek Temple in such a deflated place?”

“I’m not sure that place was desolated in 332 BC. Suppose it wasn’t desolated. There could have been an oasis here which would make it a desirable place.”

“If it was a desirable place, why a Greek temple? I would think the Egyptians would build a temple here. Under the Persians, the Egyptians were forbidden to worship their gods. It would make sense to build a temple in a place that could be kept secret from the Persians.”

“I don’t have an answer. I do know that the Egyptians highly regarded Alexander. He allowed them to return to their worship of their gods. I’m sure they worshipped their gods under the Persians as well, only they did it in secret.”

“Mahmoud, I’m going to ask for a sabbatical. I have a feeling we are close to uncovering that temple.”

“I wish I could go with you, Howard. I don’t have tenure yet.”

“Let’s see what we can uncover this summer. I plan on leaving as soon as this term is over.”

It was challenging to focus on my classes. Mostafa kept me posted on the status of the dig. Every time he would go to Aswan for supplies, he would send photos, discussing them over the phone. I made sure Mahmoud was with me for these discussions.

I was like a child on Christmas Eve. I found it hard to concentrate. I asked my Dean for a leave of absence. At first, he denied it until I showed him some of the pictures. I think he realized the value of this expedition for the university. I walked away from our meeting with my request approved. My sabbatical will start as soon as I complete my lecture series.

I spent my time preparing review sessions, tests, and, most important, preparing my TA’s to step in for reviews and giving the tests. I gave them a schedule of where I would be if they needed to contact me.

I spent time with Mahmoud. I told my TA’s if they had a problem, and I wasn’t available, to contact him. “Mahmoud, plan on joining me as soon as possible. Fly into Luxor. I’ll see you there.”

Classes will end the first week of June. I was ready to leave on the first of May. Arriving in Luxor, I was anxious to get to the dig. All the way, I kept asking Mostafa questions.

“Howard, you are going to be surprised. We are still working on uncovering the wall. Two days ago, we had a major slide on the temple. The slide wasn’t from the roof but the front of the temple. I think we will find more information concerning the purpose of the temple.”

I knew that if it were a Grecian temple, the front would tell us why it was built. Arriving at the site, I rushed to the temple. Mostafa was right. There was enough of the face exposed that we could determine more about the temple with proper cleaning.

“Mostafa, first thing in the morning, you will find me here.”
Before the sun was up, I sat on the wall facing what we thought was the front of the temple.

As the sun rose, I became excited. I felt like we were going to make an important discovery.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 15
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

They think it was the front of the temple what if it is the back? Ignore me.But it will be interesting to see how they identify what kind of temple it was anyhow different certain peopled build Thiet temples

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

They think it was the front of the temple what if it is the back? Ignore me.But it will be interesting to see how they identify what kind of temple it was anyhow different certain peopled build Thiet temples

Yes it could be the back, it would be hard to tell the front or back on  grecian temple until one end has been uncovered. All we know I that the temple is sitting north-south from the use of the instruments. That may be why Howard is excited.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Sounds like the beginning of many important discoveries, let's hope others don't try to horn in on the discovery!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So enjoying this story. It's like Sherlock Holmes in archeology! I'd be the same way, sitting on the temple at sun-up. :) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Looking forward to the Great reveal 

The Greek temples identification was at the top of the entry way. Howard hopes that by seeing what is engraved on that wall will give a clue. If what they are working oil is the back, then there will no engraving.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Sounds like the beginning of many important discoveries, let's hope others don't try to horn in on the discovery!

Like thieves there is honor among archeologists 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Chris L said:

So enjoying this story. It's like Sherlock Holmes in archeology! I'd be the same way, sitting on the temple at sun-up. :) 

I would have had a shovel with me as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm there with him ... boy can't wait for sun up so we can see what we have. This brit is still waiting to shovel the said and do his bit. Really good at building sand castles, temples aren't that different... loving the story ... thank you,🥰

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/8/2021 at 11:56 AM, Kev said:

I'm there with him ... boy can't wait for sun up so we can see what we have. This brit is still waiting to shovel the said and do his bit. Really good at building sand castles, temples aren't that different... loving the story ... thank you,🥰

I'll keep you in mind

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..